The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Oh, that is rich. I'm really looking forward to 'November Man,' and I'm falling more and more in love with Kurylenko as the days pass.
  • How ironic would it be if "November Man" turned out to be better than any of his 4 Bond films? Seeing how I like Pierce better in non-Bond roles, I wouldn't be surprised.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    How ironic would it be if "November Man" turned out to be better than any of his 4 Bond films? Seeing how I like Pierce better in non-Bond roles, I wouldn't be surprised.
    AND, I wouldn't be surprised, should it turn out to be good, that Lazenby & Dalton would make comebacks of sorts!
    How ironic would it be if "November Man" turned out to be better than any of his 4 Bond films? Seeing how I like Pierce better in non-Bond roles, I wouldn't be surprised.

Then we can discuss the quality management of EON?

then i suppose someone will make a James Bond Fan Edit and use footage of him
    from November Man....
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh yes it is a compliment. I am happy about this pairing. I do think Brosnan is aging quite well, in many ways. And he's a gent. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Oh, that is rich. I'm really looking forward to 'November Man,' and I'm falling more and more in love with Kurylenko as the days pass.

Same here. I love how much work she is getting now, and starring next to leading man after leading man. Where do you go next after acting beside Daniel Craig, Tom Cruise, Ben Affleck and Pierce Brosnan? The sky is the limit.

I am super excited for this film as well, ever since I first heard about it. Pierce has the aged spy look down and I think will be cool as all hell in this film. One of the shooting locations is Serbia, and I can't wait to see how spy intrigue happen there, the perfect spot to shoot a spy film!
    And... because of this discussion I broke down and bought a cheep copy of After The Sunset off eBay... just because. B-)
  • SaintMark wrote:

Then we can discuss the quality management of EON?

Other than the regrets of 2008, it's been mostly much improved since 2002 and I think they've realized some of their past errors. A better and apparently more popular actor, better scripts, perhaps Pierce can come up with an original characterization this time around ;)

perhaps Pierce can come up with an original characterization this time around ;)
    That's a given IMO.

:)>-
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 3,494
    chrisisall wrote:
    perhaps Pierce can come up with an original characterization this time around ;)
    That's a given IMO.

I certainly hope he can come up with more than a Bond caricature >:)
    Don't make me... hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2013 Posts: 28,694
    chrisisall wrote:
    That's a given IMO.

I think Pierce will impress everyone. I believe he will do better when the chains are off and he doesn't have to worry about playing such an iconic character this time around and will be without all the pressure he had during his 007 tenure.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I think Pierce definitely had more pressure on him than any other Bond.

GE could either make or break the series, he'd been the publics top choice in America (and wherever else Remington Steele was popular) since pre TLD, and people had got their expectations for his Bond really high.

Makes it even more impressive that he managed to pull it off and give be a great Bond really (and a very popular one too).

GE could either make or break the series, he'd been the publics top choice in America (and wherever else Remington Steele was popular) since pre TLD, and people had got their expectations for his Bond really high.

Makes it even more impressive that he managed to pull it off and give be a great Bond really (and a very popular one too).

In the pressure category I have to give it to Lazenby.

• edited April 2013 Posts: 11,189

In the pressure category I have to give it to Lazenby.

Hmm...I think I'd give the edge to Brosnan. Unlike Laz so many people knew who Brosnan was and had already made up their minds that he would be great...so Broz had to live up to that. The pressure was on HIM rather than "the actor who followed Connery".

To be honest I don't get the feeling Laz was bright enough (back then I mean) to be too worried about pressure. He just thought about when he'd get his next shag.

I think Brosnan and Craig probably had more pressure to deliver and ensure the survival of the series than Laz did. If the series had stalled after their debut's there was no going back to their predecessors.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    More pressure? Yes, definitely Brosnan. TheLivingRoyale put it succinctly.
    Craig, too, but it was not as heavy on his shoulders as Brosnan when he stepped into Bond's shoes. tux.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 11,189
    More pressure? Yes, definitely Brosnan. TheLivingRoyale put it succinctly.
    Craig, too, but it was not as heavy on his shoulders as Brosnan when he stepped into Bond's shoes. tux.

Agreed, Craig wasn't as self-conscious as Brosnan. With Dan you get the sense it was like "I'll give it my all and if the people don't like it then I can do something else". With Brosnan (at least in GE - less so in TND) you get the feeling that the pressure was on for him.

That's not to say that Brosnan didn't have some excellent moments in GE though but you could just tell he was anxious to deliver.
    I'm glad we have a thread for Pierce Brosnan. I'm a huge Pierce Brosnan fan! Pierce Brosnan is my favourite James Bond in the franchise. He is a great actor. Pierce was brilliant as James Bond. He was suave, & sophisticated. He also has a blend of swag like Sean Connery & charm like Sir Roger Moore. And he had great chemistry with all the Bond Girls & could get the job done with the Bond Villians. I miss Pierce Brosnan as James Bond. For me, Pierce Brosnan is the best James Bond in the franchise!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Pierce was a wonderful Bond. He introduced me to the world of James Bond with the ever so fabulous GoldenEye. Just because his later films were considered bad by few doesn't make that his fault. He was always in top form in every Bond picture he starred in. I can't wait to see him in November Man. You'll always be my number one Pierce! :-bd
    I'm a big fan of Pierce's tenure as Bond and recently was able to sit down and watch The Matador. The film is undeniably the best Brosnan performance out there.

The premise of the movie: an oddball comedy about a businessman and a hitman having to team up; could have been a very tired, tested and formulaic affair. However, Richard Shepard really created something very new, exciting and most of all fun with The Matador.

The film isn't quite the straight-faced Coen brothers brand of black comedy, and nor is it the out-and-out Will Ferrell type laugher, instead the film exists between the two and what we get is a rather interesting dark-comedic character study.

The movie is really about the friendship between these two men, who on the surface are very different but actually beneath are relatively similar. Both are lost, but while one is looking for a confidant the other is looking for an escape and a bit of excitement. Kinnear does hold his own but it's Brosnan who runs away with the film. His Julian Noble is a gift of character, and not for the obvious 'shedding the Bond image' reasons, but because Julian Noble really walks into the film fully-formed and is never apologetic for who is he and never at any point feels a need to justify himself.

I truly forget I was watching Pierce at times and only in occasional turns of phrase or looks to camera was I reminded 'shit, thats James Bond!' Brosnan transforms for the role, ditching his suave ladykiller persona and instead adopts the brass, sleazy persona of Julian (a perfect image to summarise this comes when Julian plays the bongos on a hooker's arse as she walks up some stairs). So lets forget all that talk of how Brosnan is deliberately stepping out of his Bond character, because at the end of the day the guy's an actor and it's his job to make you believe and invest in a host of different characters. And its this that Brosnan does so damn well with Noble.

The movie is fundamentally a character study, as we explore A hitman past his prime and slowly loosing his edge. Furthermore, the guy is having a massive existential crisis as well as having a nervous breakdowns and panic attacks everytime he's on a job. Not a good trait for a professional assassin. Brosnan plays the lightness of the role, he can handle the sleazy uncouth nature of the man (cracking a penis joke when Kinnear tells him about his dead son), but he can also brings a real pain to the guy, the moment he tells Danny that he is his only friend is genuinely affecting and Brosnan's final meltdown is rather harrowing stuff.

It's a great movie, its a rare thing to think once the end credits roll that you could have happily sat through more of this, but it's how I felt. I hope they can do something more with The Matador, if not a sequel maybe a TV series or something. Richard Shepard write a hell of script and Brosnan is show-stealing good in it.
    I thought I would post this Sky Broadband ad here:

Super hilarious; well done, Pierce. :))
    Just watched Tailor Of Panama: two thoughts-
    What a bastard Pierce was...
    What mostly unknown history was depicted.
    Thumbs up!
  • Not my favorite Bond, but very influential since Goldeneye was the first Bond movie I ever saw and since then I was hooked.
    The name's Brosnan...Pierce Brosnan, 60.

Happy three score birthday, sir!
    Happy Birthday Brosnan :D
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited May 2013 Posts: 11,139
    Pressure? I think the biggest pressure for Brosnan was the pressure he put on himself. He was unanimously accepted from about 8 years before he formally landed the role. If there was any actor that was really put under pressure, it was Craig. The difference in terns of how Craig handled the pressure was the faith he had in his acting ability to get on with things and not let the series' history intimidate him. The same cannot be said for Brosnan, even today he talks about how he never nailed the role and how intimidating it was knowing the likes of Connery and Moore left a strong legacy. Craig had to deal with scathing attacks from the public and the press, it was almost unreal how abusive society was towards his casting. Turns out that Craig's performance in CR by and large served up a cold helping of flabby crow to his detractors.
    I believe the negative press helped Craig though, people had already decided he was rubbish and wrong for the part so the only way was up once the film was released.
    Also the fact that CR was an origin story gave DC the chance to play the role in a different way that avoided comparisons.

With Pierce they didn't try to reinvent the wheel, he played it in a very recognised way and people lapped it up.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    @thelivingroyale, @Goldeneye95 : total agreement !
    @Murdock : waiting for his return to the spy genre too ! ...with worldwide success I hope so.

Craig and Lazenby had far more pressure then Brozzer did. Pierce probably had the least pressure of all the Bonds because he was seen as the king in waiting.

Thats probably why his performance was so lacklustre.