The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2013 Posts: 4,442
    Very Thomas Crown style picture's with a good looking Bond girl.

The second and the first be my favorite, the one with the car be my last favorite because it remember to much to DAD. Why the umbrella.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/gallery_brosnan_hackett.php3?t=&s=&id=03570

The Leading Man
    19th September 2013

Pierce Brosnan has starred in the Hackett Autumn-Winter '14 campaign, shot by acclaimed 007 photographer, Terry O'Neill...

• edited September 2013 Posts: 4,400
    Pierce is a very cool dude. He's one hell of a snappy dresser.

He was let down by a lack of consistency throughout his 4 films. Some are intent on making his Bond more emotional whilst others are more routine Bond outings or flat-out creative failures.

For me Brosnan's Bond was the most charismatic and charming of all 6. Moore had a tendency to be a little on the sleazy side.

It's a shame I think that Brosnan is regarded as a bit of a 'Greatest Hits' Bond. He has the roughness of Connery, the charm of Moore, and a dangerous-side like Dalton. Before Craig came around I guess he was the more emotional Bond but DC has definitely swooped up that crown.

It's a shame but 4 films were really enough for him. There was really nothing more he could do with that character with a fifth film.
    Both Brosnan AND Moore could be sleazy as Bond.

Brosnan - on beach with Halle

Moore - in hot-tub with Fiona Fulliton

I know ppl may disagree but I think the AVTAK one is worse.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 3,494
    It's a shame I think that Brosnan is regarded as a bit of a 'Greatest Hits' Bond. He has the roughness of Connery, the charm of Moore, and a dangerous-side like Dalton. Before Craig came around I guess he was the more emotional Bond but DC has definitely swooped up that crown.

I agree wholeheartedly with this, and it probably drives his particular fans crazy because it's tough to argue otherwise with any sort of objectivity. Their only defense is to deflect the criticisms by pointing at Craig for doing the same, which doesn't work because Craig's interpretation is more defined in certain very Flemingesque aspects that should always be drawn on. There's a real failure to do this consistently in both the Moore and Brosnan eras, it's a different sort of Bond, a popcorn Bond as I call it that may cater to a particular segment of fans and general public, but not one in the context of the entire series that defines the Bond character. The box offices of the Connery and Craig eras have certainly borne this out as valid. Craig excels in almost everything and has absolutely taken the emotional part of the character to heights Brosnan failed to reach.

@Bain123- I agree, both were masters of sleaze.

retrokitty wrote:
    Wha? Next you're going to tell me that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings.

Coulda sworn he was. Can't for the life of me remember the name, though. Something to do with insects, wasn't it?
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 3,494
    Didn't they used to call it "bug music"? Not to be confused with "ant music".
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I like Brosnan as a human being, and I loved him in Mars Attacks!
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    I totally agree with @Pierce2Daniel. He's a mix of all and was the precursor of the emotional 007. That's why I find him the best actor, whatever some would disagree and try to change my point of view with useless posts. I respect their different choices so most should do the same with the whole Brosnan fans : this site is generally full of Brosnan haters... pity.

He's one great human being @Thunderfinger so true
  • I hope you weren't directing that at me Mr.Kilt. His first two films were excellent and I still enjoy them. I don't hate him at all and I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, and his biggest fans who have been here for years know that. Just not blind to his weaknesses which I do think is a trap some fall into. I like him better not being Bond and will be there opening weekend for November Man :)
    You should watch "Love is all you Need" @SirHenry. He's very good in it.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    @SirHenry : Not directed to you ; but to the general amount of haters. I agree he's still weak in some ways (sometimes too...cheesy I dare say) and I'm aware of it. It's your business to like him or not as Bond, I mean it doesn't bother me because I'm also a fan of him in general. Like you, I'm looking forward to watching "November Man".
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I think one thing Brosnan was guilty of during his time as Bond was posing. He's like "hey...I'm I'm Bond...yeahhh".

...then again Fleming was also a poser according to Noel Coward.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I bet 'Love Is All You Need' was an incredibly powerful, emotional film for Brosnan to do. I must see this movie. The Redbox down the street doesn't have it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I bet 'Love Is All You Need' was an incredibly powerful, emotional film for Brosnan to do. I must see this movie. The Redbox down the street doesn't have it.

Indeed it must have been quite a tough film for him - especially as, at the time, his step-daughter would have been going through the later stages of cancer herself. There's a great scene at the end which IMO is probably one of Brosnan's best pieces of acting he's done.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Pierce Brosnan would have been awesome as Simon Templar, The Saint. Best since Moore.
    I'm watching 'Love Is All You Need' right now. He's doing a magnificent job in it right now.
  • retrokitty wrote:
    Wha? Next you're going to tell me that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings.

Coulda sworn he was. Can't for the life of me remember the name, though. Something to do with insects, wasn't it?

Their tongue is on the tip of my name...

...And having just now watched the embedded clip from "Love Is All you Need," it looks like Pierce does a great job here!

@BeatlesSansEarmuffs, it was a phenomenal film, very touching and emotional.
  • Thanks for the recommendation, @Creasy47. The embedded clip looks like a very naturalistic performance. I'll make a point of checking it out!
    Thanks for the recommendation, @Creasy47. The embedded clip looks like a very naturalistic performance. I'll make a point of checking it out!

He really plays the part well, just a man blaming the world for the loss of his loved one until he manages to open up, love again, and find the beauty in life once more. It's a fantastic film.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 11,189
    My mum saw it the other day on my recommendation. She really liked it and said that Brosnan "brought a lot of sympathy to the part".
    BAIN123 wrote:
    My mum saw it the other day on my recommendation. She really liked it and said that Brosnan "brought a lot of sympathy to the part".

He did. I just wonder how much acting was required from Brosnan in the film. I guarantee a lot of it was just pulling on old experiences, unfortunately.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

He did. I just wonder how much acting was required from Brosnan in the film. I guarantee a lot of it was just pulling on old experiences, unfortunately.

Indeed. She liked him but she went onto say he was probably playing himself to a large extent. That said personal experience does bring a degree of authenticity.
    @BAIN123, absolutely. It's hard to argue something like that, because you know a lot of real life emotion went into it.
    Pierce has joined the revenge thriller 'I.T.':

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=109757
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Pierce has joined the revenge thriller 'I.T.':

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=109757

Pierce Brosnan in one of my favorite movie Genre's? YES YES YES! :D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote:

I share the enthusiasm!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

I share the enthusiasm!
    Well he join the ranks of another Revenge film legend? ;)
    tumblr_mc4l9v6wsa1rcd2wno1_500.png
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Messing with a Brosnan/Bronson image?
    Murdock, do you have a Death Wish? :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    Messing with a Brosnan/Bronson image?
    Murdock, do you have a Death Wish? :))

I didn't make it. I promise! :))