0BradyM0Bondfanatic7's Art and Writing Thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Continuing my series of drawing the six James Bond actors (so far), this is Sean Connery dressed in my favorite suit of the franchise, the gray three-piece Prince of Wales suit he wore in 1964's Goldfinger:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/348/8/6/sean_connery_is_james_bond_007_by_bradymajor-d6xziz7.jpg

Right from the start I knew that if I was going to draw Connery's Bond, I couldn't have him wearing anything else. While I have my issues with this piece, largely due to some of the proportions and the way I drew his Walther PPK, I think the portrait is distinctly Connery, so I'm happy enough with how it turned out. Perfection is overrated anyway, something that has become a bit of a motto for me at this point, if only to mitigate my anal retentive nature when it comes to my art. Sean is my favorite Bond, so it is easy to see why I let my head get to me before I realized that not everything would be perfect, and was finally able to let it go.

With this piece, I added the same white parchment background and gun barrel design as I used in the first edition in this art series, which had Daniel Craig as Bond and dressed as he appears in Skyfall, with a blue gun barrel in the background. I changed up the color of the gun barrel here, making it a warm red to add a sense of distinction to the piece from the last one, something I will do with the other 4 Bond actors I have yet to draw. I don't know if Moore, Brosnan, Lazenby or Dalton will be next, but I look forward to the project nonetheless.

Here is a link to it on deviantart:

http://bradymajor.deviantart.com/art/Sean-Connery-is-James-Bond-007-419881939?ga_submit_new=10%3A1387082180&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1&ga_recent=1
    That would make an excellent Valentine's card @0Brady ;-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    That would make an excellent Valentine's card @0Brady ;-)

You think?

"Dr. Love"
    "From Brady With Love"
    "Live and Let Love"
    "The Man With the Golden Heart"
    "The Gal Who Loved Me"
    "Loveraker"
    "For Your Heart Only"
    "Licence To Love"
    "Love Never Dies"

Let's get in contact with Hallmark. We've got something big here.
    I didn't see the Connery drawing before. I was actually referring to The Shining :D
    I didn't see the Connery drawing before. I was actually referring to The Shining :D

Oh, sorry for the confusion. I'm quite proud of that one.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,804

And justifiably so, Brady, as it's brilliant!
    Dragonpol wrote:

Thank you very much! I should try to do some minimalistic art for other Kubrick films when I have the chance to view them and get inspiration.

I did these minimalistic covers a long time ago for Clockwork Orange, but nothing else:

http://bradymajor.deviantart.com/art/A-Clockwork-Orange-Blu-ray-Cover-Version-1-354346528?q=gallery:BradyMajor/41938068&qo=108

http://bradymajor.deviantart.com/art/A-Clockwork-Orange-Blu-ray-Cover-Version-2-354346542?q=gallery:BradyMajor/41938068&qo=107

By the way, I wanted to ask those who visit this thread regularly...

Which Bond actor should I draw next? I've drawn Daniel Craig and Sean Connery thus far, but the rest are free game. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.
    Dragonpol wrote:

Thank you very much! I should try to do some minimalistic art for other Kubrick films when I have the chance to view them and get inspiration.

I did these minimalistic covers a long time ago for Clockwork Orange, but nothing else:

http://bradymajor.deviantart.com/art/A-Clockwork-Orange-Blu-ray-Cover-Version-1-354346528?q=gallery:BradyMajor/41938068&qo=108

http://bradymajor.deviantart.com/art/A-Clockwork-Orange-Blu-ray-Cover-Version-2-354346542?q=gallery:BradyMajor/41938068&qo=107

By the way, I wanted to ask those who visit this thread regularly...

Which Bond actor should I draw next? I've drawn Daniel Craig and Sean Connery thus far, but the rest are free game. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

How about Roger Moore for something lighter?
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Roger it is, thanks @Dragonpol. I was also leaning that way.

As I am about to do one last run through of Sherlock as the show's third season approaches, I thought I'd make a desktop wallpaper to celebrate:

the_brain_and_the_heart__bbc_sherlock_wallpaper_by_bradymajor-d6y7fd1.jpg

The main feature of this piece is the eloquent quote Sherlock recites, and the text features small easter eggs pertaining to the series. At the center is the detective and the doctor, Sherlock ever the brain and John always the heart. Together, they are unstoppable.

For those wishing to use it, the wallpaper is fit to my personal laptop's resolution (1280 X 800), so it may not fill the entire screen of everyones' computer.

A link to it on deviantart:
    http://bradymajor.deviantart.com/art/The-Brain-and-the-Heart-BBC-Sherlock-Wallpaper-420250501?ga_submit_new=10%3A1387235338&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1&ga_recent=1
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,804
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Roger it is, thanks @Dragonpol. I was also leaning that way.

As I am about to do one last run through of Sherlock as the show's third season approaches, I thought I'd make a desktop wallpaper to celebrate:

the_brain_and_the_heart__bbc_sherlock_wallpaper_by_bradymajor-d6y7fd1.jpg

The main feature of this piece is the eloquent quote Sherlock recites, and the text features small easter eggs pertaining to the series. At the center is the detective and the doctor, Sherlock ever the brain and John always the heart. Together, they are unstoppable.

For those wishing to use it, the wallpaper is fit to my personal laptop's resolution (1280 X 800), so it may not fill the entire screen of everyones' computer.

A link to it on deviantart:
    http://bradymajor.deviantart.com/art/The-Brain-and-the-Heart-BBC-Sherlock-Wallpaper-420250501?ga_submit_new=10%3A1387235338&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1&ga_recent=1

Great piece of art there, Brady, and I look forward to what you do with Sir Roger Moore as Bond. Keep the artistic flag flying!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A poster design for the unforgettable film "The Shining," directed for the screen by the masterful Mr. Stanley Kubrick:

the_shining_poster_design_by_bradymajor-d6xddxj.jpg

I have finally been through the whole thread, and imo this is your masterpiece so far.You asked for requests. I think your style is very suited for the Sin City universe. Will you consider it? If not, looking forward to anything you have to offer. Regards.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Great piece of art there, Brady, and I look forward to what you do with Sir Roger Moore as Bond. Keep the artistic flag flying!
    Thank you very much, @Dragonpol. I appreciate all your support, as always. :)
    A poster design for the unforgettable film "The Shining," directed for the screen by the masterful Mr. Stanley Kubrick:

the_shining_poster_design_by_bradymajor-d6xddxj.jpg

I have finally been through the whole thread, and imo this is your masterpiece so far.You asked for requests. I think your style is very suited for the Sin City universe. Will you consider it? If not, looking forward to anything you have to offer. Regards.

Wow, the whole thread? I appreciate that very much, I assure you.

I haven't seen Sin City in years, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. Some of my art does have a bit of that minimalistic style with a heavy use of blacks, whites and reds, so I can see the comparison being made. I love the noir style, the grittiness of Miller type art, so I would love to play with it more.

As for the Kubrick poster above, I found a grand picture of Jack with an axe, and knew it had to be made into a photo, so I made it a silhouette, used the blood to make the piece pop, and add a cool aesthetic appeal with it as it dripped off the axe. I had the idea for it a while ago when I re-watched the film around Halloween, and I am happy to say it turned out better than I thought. I'm glad you like it, and once again, I appreciate your support of my work. Do you have any suggestions for my writing (if you have dipped into either of the stories I posted, that is)? I am trying to balance my art and writing and improve on both, so any feedback is welcome.
    I would be interested to see a combination, either an illustrated short story or a comic strip even. You certainly have the talent for it. When my son was younger I used to make a comic strip for him almost every day, but they were more in the comical vein-with a character gallery consisting of family and neighbors along with people from history and popular culture. Maybe I should take it up again, but you are clearly on another level than me.
    I would be interested to see a combination, either an illustrated short story or a comic strip even. You certainly have the talent for it. When my son was younger I used to make a comic strip for him almost every day, but they were more in the comical vein-with a character gallery consisting of family and neighbors along with people from history and popular culture. Maybe I should take it up again, but you are clearly on another level than me.

Still, that all sounds very impressive, @Thunderfinger.

I used to do comics all the time as well, both in paper form and on the computer when I was younger, so I wouldn't be opposed to doing that either. Some of my favorite artists, like Jim Lee and Time Sale are comic book artists who I look up to very much and who inspire me to be better.

It'd definitely be cool if you took up the practice again.
  • MadMelMadMel Banned
    This poster reminds me a lot of Sin City too...great artwork here in this thread! Cheers to Brady.

I used to do comics all the time as well, both in paper form and on the computer when I was younger, so I wouldn't be opposed to doing that either. Some of my favorite artists, like Jim Lee and Time Sale are comic book artists who I look up to very much and who inspire me to be better.

Sale and Lee are both great. I take it you are a Batman fan then? Another of my favourite DC artists would be Neal Adams. He was terrific at what he did with Superman and Green Lantern as well back in the day. Know what, I think I will take it up again as I have a lot of ideas and need to get my skills back. Thanx for the encouragement, holiday is coming up after all.Thanks to Dragonpol as well for complimenting on something he has not even seen. Typical of great guys like him.

Sale and Lee are both great. I take it you are a Batman fan then? Another of my favourite DC artists would be Neal Adams. He was terrific at what he did with Superman and Green Lantern as well back in the day. Know what, I think I will take it up again as I have a lot of ideas and need to get my skills back. Thanx for the encouragement, holiday is coming up after all.Thanks to Dragonpol as well for complimenting on something he has not even seen. Typical of great guys like him.

Yes, I am a Batman obsessed maniac, and love Adams's stuff too, of course. Good luck with your art, as well. You should make your own art thread on here to share your stuff. Cheers, mate.
    I do not have the technical equipment for it. Plus I am a computer illiterate anyway.
    i_don_t_shave_for_sherlock_holmes_by_bradymajor-d73vbj4.jpg
    I thought I would share a new artistic project I am doing here with you, which I am excited about. I have drawn a good bit of Great Mouse Detective themed art, and tossed Basil and Dawson into many Holmes universes like those of BBC Sherlock, Young Sherlock Holmes and the Ritchie series of films. Naturally, I wanted to draw them some more and thought the coolest way to do it would be to recreate classic Sidney Paget illustrations with Basil and Dawson, much in the style of the GMD film.

Here's my first effort in this series:

a_drunken_looking_groom_by_bradymajor-d75dnq2.jpg

It's a recreation of this Paget illustration from A Scandal in Bohemia:
    http://public.bn1303.livefilestore.com/y2pG4RVrUyAAH3OyUPy9W9sW18Lke3jhT6ECjeq4NicNvQh8WFX5vAq_MdKUaNJ8u871M3MSXf1nM67cBGFpX09INvoFzn9UClyBhmM-BSkdBg/15.jpg?rdrts=66355629

"It was close upon four before the door opened, and a drunken-looking groom, ill-kempt and side-whiskered, with an inflamed face and disreputable clothes, walked into the room. Accustomed as I was to my friend’s amazing powers in the use of disguises, I had to look three times before I was certain that it was indeed he. With a nod he vanished into the bedroom, whence he emerged in five minutes tweed-suited and respectable, as of old. Putting his hands into his pockets, he stretched out his legs in front of the fire and laughed heartily for some minutes."
    -Watson's narration from A Scandal in Bohemia

Holmes is in disguise as a drunken groom, the first moment we get to see his talent for immersing himself into a character. It was such an iconic Holmes moment and beautiful illustration, so I knew I would adapt that first, especially considering Bohemia was the first Holmes story I read. I tried to keep very closely with the original, but added some of my own style in there as well. I'm not the best at shading, but I did the best I could with adapting the lighting of the original illustration in my recreation. I had tons of fun with this, and can't wait to recreate more iconic Holmes moments from the canon in the GMD style. I hope you enjoy, and I would love feedback.
    Just out of curiosity, @OBradyMOBondfanatic7. Was it THE GRAT MOUSE DETECTIVE that sparked your interest in Holmes, or was it the other way around?
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Really good, 0Brady!

I love Paget work and your tribute is just great!
    Just out of curiosity, @OBradyMOBondfanatic7. Was it THE GRAT MOUSE DETECTIVE that sparked your interest in Holmes, or was it the other way around?

No, I just watched the film as a wee lad before my Holmes obsession began. I remember really loving it though, and I hope to revisit that film very soon for a rush of nostalgia.

ggl007 wrote:
    Really good, 0Brady!

I love Paget work and your tribute is just great!

Thank you very much! :)
    edited February 2014 Posts: 28,694
    As promised, my series of Paget recreations continues with this piece:

holmes_lashed_furiously_by_bradymajor-d76ga9g.jpg

It is a recreation in the combined styles of my own personal art and that of The Great Mouse Detective animated film, of this classic Sidney Paget illustration from the Sherlock Holmes story The Speckled Band:

http://public.bn1303.livefilestore.com/y2pY_-E1YLCO3O8QepPvYSQoe1kmB2KOLw4ufrFts4chmqywfHEiJkREJdxArk_92W7QLQ1-7a-ntpBOAeEAuiaLREEEHyZ_HOtiYm5iKy-U5E/16.jpg?rdrts=67037438

The scene it brings to life:

"For half an hour I sat with straining ears. Then suddenly another sound became audible–a very gentle, soothing sound, like that of a small jet of steam escaping continually from a kettle. The instant that we heard it, Holmes sprang from the bed, struck a match, and lashed furiously with his cane at the bell-pull."
    -Dr. Watson [narration]
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    A poster design for the unforgettable film "The Shining," directed for the screen by the masterful Mr. Stanley Kubrick
    Impressive Brady, impressive :)

A poster design for the unforgettable film "The Shining," directed for the screen by the masterful Mr. Stanley Kubrick
    Impressive Brady, impressive :)

Thank you very much! That piece was a rare occasion when exactly what was in my head came out in the design.
    I haven't posted here in a while, but I took a break from doing schoolwork and finished this piece, which is a digital drawing of one of my original characters, The Crazy Chicken:

the_crazy_chicken_wears_a_suit_by_bradymajor-d7ba4d3.png
    Haha, that is funny, OBrady. Comic strip character?
    Haha, that is funny, OBrady. Comic strip character?

Not really sure. I've toyed with him in a small comic or two and drawings of him fill my sketchbooks all through my early high school years to now. He's a sort of silent but deadly hitman type that is, as his name implies, crazy...