0BradyM0Bondfanatic7's Art and Writing Thread

1151617181921»

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Torgeirtrap, the Wacom I have is a tablet you hook up to your computer and you draw on it with a stylus that you then see on your computer screen/monitor. The newer Wacoms I've seen that are too pricey for me at this stage are those that have screens you can draw on like it's a piece of paper in front of you (which I think is what you have, right?).

I get really earnest about what paper I buy, and always look for the right thickness and texture that suits my micro-pens the best. I like to do fine details in my work so a paper that can hold the ink and make my strokes look crisp and clean are high priority. When I was younger and playing around I didn't care what I was drawing on and would simply grab things like computer paper to sketch on in school, but as I grew older I saw how important the "canvas" was just as I became more serious about art in general.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    @Torgeirtrap, the Wacom I have is a tablet you hook up to your computer and you draw on it with a stylus that you then see on your computer screen/monitor. The newer Wacoms I've seen that are too pricey for me at this stage are those that have screens you can draw on like it's a piece of paper in front of you (which I think is what you have, right?).

I get really earnest about what paper I buy, and always look for the right thickness and texture that suits my micro-pens the best. I like to do fine details in my work so a paper that can hold the ink and make my strokes look crisp and clean are high priority. When I was younger and playing around I didn't care what I was drawing on and would simply grab things like computer paper to sketch on in school, but as I grew older I saw how important the "canvas" was just as I became more serious about art in general.

Art snob! ;)
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 17,279

Yes, the Cintiq has a screen you draw directly on. The model I have was a few years old already when i bought it, so it wasn't too expensive. If you want to upgrade at some point, you can look for an older model, as they are much cheaper. Think I've saved money on having a Cintiq, as I don't use as much paper, pencils, pens or brushes!

Regarding paper, texture is always an issue. I've tried more expensive paper with heavier texture, but I felt that the paper sucked up the ink way to easy, making me have to use more ink as a result. When I went back to lighter, coated paper, the whole inking process felt much easier, and I didn't have to use that much ink. Have yet to find the "perfect" paper, though.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2017 Posts: 28,694
    There's been some interest expressed in seeing some of the photography I did back in college, specifically a series of photos where I used the light path of a flashlight and my own bodily movement to create two series of projects for my class.

The first set of pictures were done in my darkened dorm room, where I fooled around with waving the flashlight around and manipulated my camera to pick up the path I had tracked with the light just moments before just to see what would happen. What resulted were quite fantastical images that seemed of another world (images put in tags so that the page doesn't take forever to load):
    MAv7Z1k.jpg
    0lgNRnA.jpg
    JulAbkB.jpg
    QMgXTkV.jpg
    els0Xrh.jpg
    ZoxRKop.jpg
    A while after I took the first set of photos I was back home for a weekend and decided to replicate the conditions of the first series of pictures, but this time I decided to also express my own movement while putting an even larger flashlight with a brighter beam in motion at the same moment. Many of the photos are a result of double motion, with the movement of the light and where it's cast meshing with my own movement, which created quite spectral visuals that made me appear to have multiple heads or where I appeared disembodied while everything but my head is blocked out by the light effects:
    psxUk3T.jpg
    XEWbH1t.jpg
    jxehyUQ.jpg
    LybHbEw.jpg
    ivcjrJa.jpg
    BCYRaUr.jpg
    Z2AeoCI.jpg
    rExslH2.jpg
    HmsyJ1T.jpg
    i5huDUu.jpg
    Sizq6jB.jpg
    1nFfS46.jpg
    HBfdrb0.jpg
    bLlAlYZ.jpg
    OfL8GaZ.jpg
    POYbHkA.jpg
    jdlIsnW.jpg
    CaiXfJS.jpg
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Braders, mate, your future is definitely in filmmaking...

I mean, you're helluva of a writer, - hands down - a storyteller, insightful commentator, illustrator, and now with this new revelation an aspiring photographer, you've got it all, old boy.
    Wow! Those are :O
    Braders, mate, your future is definitely in filmmaking...

I mean, you're helluva of a writer, - hands down - a storyteller, insightful commentator, illustrator, and now with this new revelation an aspiring photographer, you've got it all, old boy.
    Filmmaking would be interesting, but I've never actually been behind the camera. It's something I certainly think about, of course, simply because the watching and writing about film is such a big passion for me (Bond being a big part of that). When I watch a film I take immense interest in how the shots are composed, how I would've done something differently and when I read books I'm always shooting the story like a film in my head. Certainly a photography background goes a long way towards knowing how to frame or light a shot in the film process, but there's also other issues to deal with beyond that, such as working with a team, getting the actors in the scene and having everything staged on top of simply managing people and conversing. That would be tough for me in particular.
    Have they lived up to the creepiness I ascribed to them? ;)
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,675
    Have they lived up to the creepiness I ascribed to them? ;)

Yeah, definitely.
    I've got some other art projects I did in college I'll share tomorrow (more photos, but also some graphic art), and there's also a lot of pictures I took in Ireland (some 1,000 plus) that I whittled down to a nice collection I could share too if people are interested, as I've never displayed them anywhere yet.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Experimental photography was something I did a lot of myself many years ago. It s fun to play with a camera.
    I've got some other art projects I did in college I'll share tomorrow (more photos, but also some graphic art), and there's also a lot of pictures I took in Ireland (some 1,000 plus) that I whittled down to a nice collection I could share too if people are interested, as I've never displayed them anywhere yet.

Would definitely be interested in seeing those!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    QMgXTkV.jpg

If you told me this was a screencap from The X-Files, I'd want to believe :)