0BradyM0Bondfanatic7's Art and Writing Thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Film noir has been on my mind recently, and with the last movie I watched being the classic Maltese Falcon starring Humphrey Bogart as detective Sam Spade, I wanted to do a movie poster featuring the film.

One of my favorite noir movie posters of all time is the one for the 1968 neo-noir The Detective starring Frank Sinatra, because the central image of Frank's stylized white face in shadow cast over the cityscape is captivating to me and eerie, as it is combining the troubled detective character with the city they are suffocating inside:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vTQ0OIcm3FE/UKR4yWoEWrI/AAAAAAAAB-M/UpVeV8glJeY/s1600/26.jpg

I wanted to recreate that same visual look and feeling with a poster for The Maltese Falcon, with Bogie's face cast over a similarly eerie set of buildings, this time from San Francisco, the setting of the film. I did as good a recreation of the original poster of The Detective as I could, with my own alterations here and there where I thought the layout could be improved:

JZsAWCG.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Brady, that is terrific!
    Film noir has been on my mind recently, and with the last movie I watched being the classic Maltese Falcon starring Humphrey Bogart as detective Sam Spade, I wanted to do a movie poster featuring the film.

One of my favorite noir movie posters of all time is the one for the 1968 neo-noir The Detective starring Frank Sinatra, because the central image of Frank's stylized white face in shadow cast over the cityscape is captivating to me and eerie, as it is combining the troubled detective character with the city they are suffocating inside:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vTQ0OIcm3FE/UKR4yWoEWrI/AAAAAAAAB-M/UpVeV8glJeY/s1600/26.jpg

I wanted to recreate that same visual look and feeling with a poster for The Maltese Falcon, with Bogie's face cast over a similarly eerie set of buildings, this time from San Francisco, the setting of the film. I did as good a recreation of the original poster of The Detective as I could, with my own alterations here and there where I thought the layout could be improved:

JZsAWCG.jpg

I love it!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Just spent a hyper-focused half of my day creating some more posters based around the film noir The Maltese Falcon:

gMOraMm.jpg

m6WXoB0.jpg

V4hQWid.jpg

9gpqSGF.jpg

w46kySd.jpg

XFdyRgh.jpg
    Great work. Especially the third.
    Great work. Especially the third.

Thanks, Thundy. #3 and #5 are my favorites.
    Another good one! Watch the birdie, you bastard!
    I did a series of wallpaper-styled pieces following the color spectrum featuring Lazenby doing a hat toss:

wbdAGOu.jpg

BQvyXuZ.jpg

oqFZmfp.jpg

RkWXDaE.jpg

qonQZQp.jpg

kCPXhVn.jpg

I'm planning on doing another set with Connery as the focal point, since these two Bonds were the hat throwers of the bunch.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    You're a man of true talent, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7.
    edited November 2016 Posts: 28,694
    I recently got a large, professional style scanner to take some past drawings I've done on paper and share them online to build up an art portfolio for future job applications and the like. I've decided to share a few of the drawings that I've done most recently here, which I had to tweak a little bit in photo editing software to remove the smudges and pencil lines that remained on the surfaces of the originals. They're not perfect scans, but are good representations of what the original pieces looked like nonetheless:

l1UaTYm.jpg

Spider-Man:
    hS6H6RH.jpg

jPke8I4.jpg

Batman:
    diFgULo.jpg

My take on John Constantine:
    LOfyqMi.jpg

7PlBnFs.jpg

A piece inspired by a poster for the film Point Blank (1967) [http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4kp2Q3oTjrk/UZtDksRNW3I/AAAAAAAABII/1J0kgtTnVig/s1600/Point+Blank+(1967).jpg]:
    THIQWXZ.jpg

1UYhGYR.jpg
    You show some proper talent there.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,053
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I've just seen this thread and started to read it but the links I've tried (and I've only tried these) in your opening post don't work?
    You show some proper talent there.

@Thunderfinger, thanks for the feedback, as always. I can usually be very hard on myself when it comes to my creations, but at this point every piece of art I make or piece of writing I produce has allowed me to get exponentially better each time. It's an exciting time of growth for me, in many ways. Doing the Bondathon has really gotten me in the writing zone again too.
    stag wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I've just seen this thread and started to read it but the links I've tried (and I've only tried these) in your opening post don't work?

@stag, years ago I had an account where I saved all my art on an image sharing platform called ImageShack, but that site then switched to a user model where only premium paying members could log on, causing all my images to be deleted or locked from my access when I refused to go premium. That's why there's nothing but dead links at the start of the thread now.

If you'd like to see what art I've done from the past four years up to now, I'd start looking through this thread at around page 7, which was the time that I created an account on DeviantArt, a specialty site for artists of all kinds to share their creations, and because of my membership there I could post work directly from there with ease without worrying about it getting deleted. Here's my account on that site with all the work I've done that I'm proudest of in recent years, if you want to give it a look:

http://bradymajor.deviantart.com/

As far as I am concerned, pages 7 to the current 17 are the pages worth leafing through, as that's where my real growth as a practicing artist took form following the start of my college career.
    Talking with @ClarkDevlin and a few other folks about the Dynamite James Bond comics recently got me itching to do some Bond art, which I haven't done a lot of in recent times. The result is this rough sketch dump:

FE0qJLW.jpg

In the drawing I tried to keep it as Fleming as possible and stuck to a Hoagy Carmichael looking Bond with a few unique features.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I just had a jaw dropping experience. Not only your witticism is fully displayable in your immensely enlarged vocabulary and composition of paragraphs but also the way the artworks are conducted. Job well done, sir! Love every single one of them. Especially the recent "Classic" (Hoagy) Bond. Now that I can liken it to someone's work, I see a lot of mixture of both John McLusky and Yaroslav Horak's works on the Bond comic strips in resemblance.

And since @Thunderfinger is a fan of Yaroslav Horak, he can confirm this.
    @ClarkDevlin, I appreciate the kind words! I'm a big fan of McLusky. There's something so special about vintage comic art that I adore, and that we don't see enough of anymore (in contemporary artists' styles, at least).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    And just when I thought I couldn't possibly appreciate and respect you more...
    ...don't get it the wrong way, I'm in love with your beautiful mind.

That drawing. It's just jaw-droppingly great and wonderful.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    ...and of course I see DALTON in that pic!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Amazing, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7! You are already moving us to tears in other threads and now you give us this... I really want to read a comic by you!! Thanks for your work (all of them) and for sharing it.
    ggl007 wrote: »
    You are already moving us to tears in other threads .

If he makes you cry, just flag him.

Anyway, love that Bond stuff.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Bravo, Brady.
    @Birdleson, I certainly appreciate him, yes. I enjoy doing minimalist type art, and find his posters to be some of the most iconic things to come out of his day.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @0brady, Bond looks like an amalgamation of Hoagy's nose, but DC's eyes and lower lip, early Connery's jawline (especially 3/4 view) with Fleming's own Bond sketch as inspiration for the hair...

All in all, I love it!!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ok, wow. Just wow. I love your stuff, Brady!!
    I've been doing a little sketching here and there (might share some of it at a later date), but I've mostly just been analyzing Bond films and doing heavy analysis on them. The periods of my life are best described as either being in art or writing mode, and right now I'm more fully in the latter than I've been since college.

Through writing reviews for so many of the films in the last few months I thought it'd be nice to design a blog where I could post some of my Bond related musings. These reviews will be the first things I post on the platform, going in order from Dr. No onward to Spectre, though I have no timeframe for when all of them will be posted, as it takes me a lot of time to take in the films, do the writing, proofread the analysis and then illustrate or visualize my thoughts with pictures to create a comprehensive review. It takes a while to find suitable pictures, edit them into designs, and get the website build to work with them cohesively, as it can be quite "buggy" and infuriating.

Just this morning I finished up all the work on my Dr. No review through drowsy eyes, and I thought I'd post the link to it here to balance off my art with some new writing:

https://fortressoffleming.wordpress.com/2017/01/15/fortress-of-fleming-dr-no-review/

If anyone reads it I'd welcome any and all feedback, and I can keep posting the rest of my Bond reviews when they're done if there's any interest in reading those as well.

As always, I appreciate all the support from each and every one of you, past, present and future.
    I've been doing some heavy writing lately, so I thought I'd exercise the art side of my brain for a bit. I don't really know what I intended for this piece to be, but somewhere along the line it ended up featuring a Wolverine-like grizzled man surrounded by zombie-like pursuers. And I'm okay with that:

3ozPSvl.jpg
    I've been asked by some people to post my Bond blog writing in this thread to let them know when I post new things, so that's why I'm updating this space today.

I've spent the morning finalizing and publishing my From Russia with Love review, which started out as a simple analysis and quickly turned into my love letter to a very special film. It took a lot of time to storyboard and design the art I used in it, but it's worth the sleepless mornings and all the hair I've pulled out trying to edit the web page efficiently.

https://fortressoffleming.wordpress.com/2017/03/02/a-fortress-of-fleming-review-from-russia-with-love-1963/

I revamped the blog and have gone with a completely new template, because the last one had post windows that were too small and a sideboard that hogged too much space. The new look is far more spaced out and allows the review text to breathe, while also offering me more room to format the pictures into the posts without the text getting all jumbled up and antsy in response.

I'm still problem solving, but for Goldfinger and beyond I should have a ready handle on how to make the whole process easier now that I have a template that works with me, and not against.

Here's a link to my first review, for Dr. No, which is now more readable on account of the fresh template, if anyone is interested:

https://fortressoffleming.wordpress.com/2017/01/15/fortress-of-fleming-dr-no-review/
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Sir, I envy you. In both artistic and expressively literal departments.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Just updating this thread with some recent artwork done between writing spells.

Some very rough Bond concepts (still playing around with how my version of Bond looks):

YL21IYE.jpg

fzktVWd.jpg

And some random inks I did for comic-styled practice:

ALn74yq.jpg

kArvb8N.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Unbelievable! You're a true artist, Brady. Please write/draw comics!! You can do both. Man, I'm so jealous of your talents.