Judge the best replica prop

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Very cool stuff @QBranch. I hope you get them to work. :)

I had an idea for the Buzz saw one, Try using the motor of an electric slot car. those suckers go fast.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,908
    Cheers, Murdock! Much appreciated.

I've had a look at those motors, and they seem too big to fit in the case unfortunately. I've got a motor from a pager/RC helicopter. It's literally 4mm x 12mm in size- which seems perfect- but to fit it in, I have to sit it on its side. This means the motor axle will be positioned at a 90 degree angle to the spinning face axle, and there lies the problem. I need to find the right size cogs that mesh at a 90 degree angle.
  • I´ve been working on the FYEO folder for about a week now and today I finished all the documents to go inside!

[img][/img]f_zps415663ca.jpg
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @fromswedenwithlove, it won't let me zoom in any more than that, but it looks good from what I can see! Great work.
    Awesome stuff, @FSWL! Looking forward to seeing the complete package in all its high-res glory!
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    @fromswedenwithlove, it won't let me zoom in any more than that, but it looks good from what I can see! Great work.
    QBranch wrote:
    Awesome stuff, @FSWL! Looking forward to seeing the complete package in all its high-res glory!

Thank you! I´ll upload a better pic tomorrow. I will hopefully have the folder itself ready within a week or so. :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Sounds good. Yeah, I clicked the link, enlarged and zoomed, but it did nothing, just kept it at the exact same size. Looking forward to seeing it in a bigger picture and complete! Keep up the good work.
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,908
    Here's my work in progress on the TLD keyfinder- something of a holy grail for me. It's a highly sought after prop and very rare, so I've been trying my hand at replicating one. For now, I barely have the tools to make a static prop, so I must improvise...

14707455108_3e37782e8d_o.png

I've built the body out of wooden paddle pop sticks. It looks very rough ATM, but once I finish filling all the gaps, I'll sand it down and spray it black. Then to add the sticker and the rest. I have most of the parts I need, although I'm not sure what I'll use for the speaker yet. I have no idea how the finished product will look, we'll see how it turns out. More WIPs to come.
    Look what I just picked up - and wicked cheap!

14910041101_9ae070cc9d_o.jpg

Can anyone (other than Murdock ;) ) guess what I plan to do with it?
    I've been trying to get a hold of one of those, how thick are they? the actual prop looks like it's 3 inches thick.
    I can't tell you the exact measurements until I receive it, but judging from the screenshots from the film, it looks to be about 2 inches thick. From what I can see, its profile is wedge-shaped - the back end is thicker than the front.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I can't tell you the exact measurements until I receive it, but judging from the screenshots from the film, it looks to be about 2 inches thick. From what I can see, its profile is wedge-shaped - the back end is thicker than the front.

It must depend on the replica because this fan made one is freaking huge!
    1ab6147c.jpg
    Well it looks to be twice the width of his thumb, so it shouldn't be any more than 2 inches thick. They should all be the same thickness anyway, because you don't need to add anything to the bottom of it. In fact, I've been following that member's work, and his props are spot on.

There's heaps on ebay, but for more than the US$13 I paid for it.
    I'll be getting one very soon as well. My biggest concern is how to fill in the gaps.
    That's what I was worried about too, but after having a good look at it, you don't need to fill any gaps at all. If you have a look at the top edges, there are two flat plates placed over the entire thing- over the buttons/speaker etc. so all that will be hidden underneath. The hardest part will be shaping those two plates. :)>-
    Oh nice I see. For the plates, I suggest either thin wood or plastic from folders.
    Not sure what I'd use. I'm thinking some thin acrylic, but we shall see. This project is on my long list, so plenty of time to think it over.
    Not sure what I'd use. I'm thinking some thin acrylic, but we shall see. This project is on my long list, so plenty of time to think it over.

Well I'll be following behind you soon as I need to get one of my own. :D
    Just remember to add the LEDs like you did with the mines, haha ;)
    Just remember to add the LEDs like you did with the mines, haha ;)

I'll have to use these red rhinestones. :P
    300_300_bd461f7f-4972-4ed2-9524-d5e7b442a62c.JPG
    haha, very good! See the red 'LED' on my keyfinder above? ^ It's actually an 'adhesive pearl' I got from the craft shop. Like I said- I need to improvise :))
    haha, very good! See the red 'LED' on my keyfinder above? ^ It's actually an 'adhesive pearl' I got from the craft shop. Like I said- I need to improvise :))

That's what you gotta do. I improvise all the time.

Right now, I'm after a black scuba mouthpiece. I've decided that I'm going to make the DAD breather as it looks to be much easier to build than the TB version. Despite DAD's reputation, you have to admit it's packed full of stuff to keep prop makers busy for a lifetime :))
    Right now, I'm after a black scuba mouthpiece. I've decided that I'm going to make the DAD breather as it looks to be much easier to build than the TB version. Despite DAD's reputation, you have to admit it's packed full of stuff to keep prop makers busy for a lifetime :))

Agreed. I'm currently gathering pieces to make a TB rebreather, I just need the mouth piece.
    Good luck with it, the brass valve in the middle may be difficult to replicate. The TB breather doesn't use a standard mouthpiece though. Are you going for a custom version?
    Good luck with it, the brass valve in the middle may be difficult to replicate. The TB breather doesn't use a standard mouthpiece though. Are you going for a custom version?

For the most part yes, I may just get a mouth piece from random scuba equipment, I'm good at juryrigging random pieces to make something close as possible.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Great new David Zaritsky showcasing fan-made itens.

Wonderful video- thanks for sharing Marketto. I've been following David's blog for quite a while now. He has perhaps the most impressive collection I've seen, and I love the way he displays his props. Incredible stuff.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil

• Very nice!