Judge the best replica prop

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I haven't seen this 'battle gear' version before. Nice find, Murdock! Looking forward to seeing some WIP shots down the line. Are you still considering making a timed or proximity version?
  • oo7oo7
    I guess you are getting ready for some mine craft
    Ha ha @oo7, that's some explosive witticism right there ;)
  • oo7oo7
    well a double o exchanging poor puns with a Qbranch over making equipment.
    this exchange could be the biggest cliché MINEFIELD this forum has seen
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    QBranch wrote:
    I haven't seen this 'battle gear' version before. Nice find, Murdock! Looking forward to seeing some WIP shots down the line. Are you still considering making a timed or proximity version?
    I'm not sure yet. After I dismantle them I want to see if I can make resin copies so I can make multiple ones. So We'll see soon enough. ;)
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,889
    @Murdock Looking forward to seeing them
    in your films!
    ;)
    QBranch wrote:
    @Murdock Looking forward to seeing them
    in your films!
    ;)
    I promise not to disappoint. ;)
    edited August 2013 Posts: 16,330
    While I patiently wait on my Joysticks, I decided to paint up this old Thermostat to look like the GoldenEye door decoder.
    54bZ1CW.jpg
    Granted it's not finished but It's almost done.
    My Joysticks finally came so I can post a wip pic!
    7JHh7jj.jpg
    I've hit a slight snag but nothing bolt cutters can't fix! ;)
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,889
    @Murdock I love how you're making props for use in your films. I see you're planning to use a gadget watch in the films. They're my favourite Bond gizmo. I'm slowly making my own screen accurate Bond watch gadgets. I should probably post some WIP shots.
    Murdock wrote:
    While I patiently wait on my Joysticks, I decided to paint up this old Thermostat to look like the GoldenEye door decoder. Granted it's not finished but It's almost done.
    Looks good. I only recently found out that just like the joystick/remote mines, the actual GoldenEye door decoder is based on a real world item, a 'Tiger' hand held game:

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/Tiger-DoubleDragon.jpg
    Murdock wrote:

I thought I read somewhere (the RPF?) that you don't need to cut the joystick stem as it unscrews from inside the case. Maybe yours are a different build, internally.

Remember I said I spotted a joystick that had extra buttons on top? Well I snatched that one up because I thought they were rare, but now I see them popping up everywhere on ebay :p I got the right one now. :D
    QBranch wrote:
    @Murdock I love how you're making props for use in your films. I see you're planning to use a gadget watch in the films. They're my favourite Bond gizmo. I'm slowly making my own screen accurate Bond watch gadgets. I should probably post some WIP shots.
    Murdock wrote:
    While I patiently wait on my Joysticks, I decided to paint up this old Thermostat to look like the GoldenEye door decoder. Granted it's not finished but It's almost done.
    Looks good. I only recently found out that just like the joystick/remote mines, the actual GoldenEye door decoder is based on a real world item, a 'Tiger' hand held game:

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tiger/Tiger-DoubleDragon.jpg
    Murdock wrote:

I thought I read somewhere (the RPF?) that you don't need to cut the joystick stem as it unscrews from inside the case. Maybe yours are a different build, internally.

Remember I said I spotted a joystick that had extra buttons on top? Well I snatched that one up because I thought they were rare, but now I see them popping up everywhere on ebay :p I got the right one now. :D

Thanks and that's awesome. Yes the problem was there was a plastic tube and a ball bearing on either side so I had to split the plastic tubing the get out the rest of the joystick and since mine was offbrand and had a different stick type I had more work to do.

Tiger electronics? Tiger Helicopter? Hmmmm coincidence? :)

But yes, my mines are now ready to be painted and drilled. I just need to gather up the parts and I'll start work on it. :)

As for the watch, I'm debating on it. I have another handheld device I think would make a cool gadget/detonator for the mines but It's still very pre production at this stage. :) But here is my current set of props. :)
    7zeH7kA.jpg
    @QBranch here's another update for you. ;)
    bSJ72DG.jpg
    I gave the outer shells a coat of grey primer. Now they look like how they appeared in the game. I'm considering painting them Olive Drab but I'm really digging the grey more. Next is to gather the electronic parts and mark spots to drill the shell.
  • They're looking real good @Murdock :-)
    They're looking real good @Murdock :-)

Thank you @WillyGalore. This has been a dream project of mine since I first saw GoldenEye. :)
    Looks great, @Murdock! You'll be destroying villain's lairs in no time! Have you decided which type of mines you'll go for?
    QBranch wrote:
    Looks great, @Murdock! You'll be destroying villain's lairs in no time! Have you decided which type of mines you'll go for?

Standard remote variant. But Before I do any drilling to the housing, I plan on making molds of them so I can make more in the future. There is a place where you can buy 3D printed housings, there too expensive for the top and bottom half, plus I want to make some rubber versions to throw. It's going to be an interesting learning experience @QBranch. :)
    Sounds like fun! Me and my flatmate have built a 3D printer (Prusa Mendel version), but we haven't got it running yet unfortunately (the stepper motors aren't turning both ways). You should look into getting one- ours cost around $200 for all the parts.
    QBranch wrote:
    Sounds like fun! Me and my flatmate have built a 3D printer (Prusa Mendel version), but we haven't got it running yet unfortunately (the stepper motors aren't turning both ways). You should look into getting one- ours cost around $200 for all the parts.

Nice I just might do that in the future. :)
    Alright another update on the mines. :)
    goldeneye_mines_wip_2__by_comandercool22-d6kwbg1.jpg
    I painted them Olive Drab green today. Next up is to visit my local radio shack and pick up the electronic parts and a set of magnets to glue on the back then I can start drilling the shells.
    Alright time for an update on my mines. I bought the buttons and buzzers. I need to get a LED light kit next. But I installed the buttons and thought I should post pics to whet your appetites. Even took a pic with my HD camera. ;) I'm sure @QBranch will really enjoy this.
    goldeneye_mines_wip_3__by_comandercool22-d6mkgy6.jpg
    They're dynamite, Murdock!- and needless to say they look ten times better just with the addition of the button. I really must start working on *mine*.
    QBranch wrote:
    They're dynamite, Murdock!- and needless to say they look ten times better just with the addition of the button. I really must start working on *mine*.

Thanks @QBranch! I hope to see WIP's of your mine as well! :D Which type do you intend to create? Timed, Proximity or Remote?
    with the correct joystick, I'll make a remote mine, and with the other one (extra buttons), I'll make a proximity mine. I like the idea we discussed about putting a motion sensor where those extra buttons are, and wiring it up to some green LEDs. I have many projects going at the moment- I've made a silencer for my P99, and I'm still working on the watches. I'll post some WIPs soon.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    QBranch wrote:
    with the correct joystick, I'll make a remote mine, and with the other one (extra buttons), I'll make a proximity mine. I like the idea we discussed about putting a motion sensor where those extra buttons are, and wiring it up to some green LEDs. I have many projects going at the moment- I've made a silencer for my P99, and I'm still working on the watches. I'll post some WIPs soon.

Care to make a suppressor for my P99, as well? Haha. My airsoft version of the gun is pretty cheap - the magazine is tiny and banana style, really awkward, but I guess they did it to give a place for the batteries - and the suppressor that it shipped with is incredibly tiny in comparison to the gun, so it doesn't look realistic whatsoever.
    @QBranch, good idea. I'm considering making my random Saitek joystick base into a Perfect Dark mine.
    cdhdyyh.jpg
    Remote_Mine.jpg

For my PPK airsoft replica's, I used a plastic tube used to hold a roll of receipt paper.
    577069_437564969614793_1367066936_n.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,687
    "Murdock"= flagged NSA/FBI
    Cause= realistic weapons
    Procedure= Internet 2G6
    Additional= Drone surv
    end

heh
    Oh please @chrisisall, I'm harmless. I wouldn't hurt a fly. :))
    LOL, everyone at Bond sites is flagged, don't you know! =))
    chrisisall wrote:
    LOL, everyone at Bond sites is flagged, don't you know! =))

Well at least you have a Viper to escape in. =))
    Murdock wrote:
    Well at least you have a Viper to escape in. =))
    Hell, I gots starships!
    SANY4791.jpg