The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    When Max says "ATAC to St. Cyril s"- is he just aping the words? Or is he actively trying to aid the Brits? He was adopted by the Havelocks, after all.
    I think it's left deliberately ambiguous. For Your Eyes Only, a film of such depth.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I think it's left deliberately ambiguous. For Your Eyes Only, a film of such depth.

I guess. I prefer to think he was guided by some superior spirit.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Ouzo ?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 40,490
    When Max says "ATAC to St. Cyril s"- is he just aping the words? Or is he actively trying to aid the Brits? He was adopted by the Havelocks, after all.

Max is actually 005. Deep undercover.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 6,740
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This is in fact a running joke of the Bond films. 005 appears undercover on every EON film, often as an animal or inanimate object. For instance, in Dr. No he's disguised as the business card Bond gives to Sylvia Trench, and is meant to be keeping an eye on Bond's dailiances in case one turns out to be an enemy agent. In LALD, one of his most dangerous assignments, he is disguised as Albert and is meant to protect Bond from the other crocodiles. The real Albert is in fact knocked out by 005 off-screen and hidden behind the trees. 005 experiences great fear during the mission since at any moment the other crocodiles could turn on him, but ultimately he survives by keeping his mouth open and pretending to be hungrier than the other animals. Contrary to popular belief, unlike in FYEO, in TLD he is not disguised as the parrot, but as the glasses of the gasworks technician who gets his face buried between Rosika Miklos' breasts. That, however, was not an assignment. He was just feeling lonely.

This is in fact a running joke of the Bond films. 005 appears undercover on every EON film, often as an animal or inanimate object. For instance, in Dr. No he's disguised as the business card Bond gives to Sylvia Trench, and is meant to be keeping an eye on Bond's dailiances in case one turns out to be an enemy agent. In LALD, one of his most dangerous assignments, he is disguised as Albert and is meant to protect Bond from the other crocodiles. The real Albert is in fact knocked out by 005 off-screen and hidden behind the trees. 005 experiences great fear during the mission since at any moment the other crocodiles could turn on him, but ultimately he survives by keeping his mouth open and pretending to be hungrier than the other animals. Contrary to popular belief, unlike in FYEO, in TLD he is not disguised as the parrot, but as the glasses of the gasworks technician who gets his face buried between Rosika Miklos' breasts. That, however, was not an assignment. He was just feeling lonely.

In SP he is disguised as an explosion.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Actually he was disguised as the crater. He just had really bad gas that day. =))
    Murdock wrote: »

Actually he was disguised as the crater. He just had really bad gas that day. =))

Bond has that all the time, due to his drinking problem. They should address it in the next one.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 6,740
    Murdock wrote: »

Bond has that all the time, due to his drinking problem. They should address it in the next one.

Skyfart
    From Morocco with Burp

I'll cut it out now.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Does anyone know if there is a video online of the Bloodstone install screen? The PC version plays a neat looping animation during installation, and I can't seem to find a video of it anywhere. There are how-to videos that show the screen during the process, but these usually have a bunch of install windows blocking it. I want to find either a video or a gif that focuses in on it full screen.

Could you create one yourself?

I would, but I don't have the PC version anymore. It didn't run on my old computer, so I returned it. I only have the PS3 version now.

Hmm. Maybe someone around here could help.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    After looking thoroughly in every corner and every angle I could find on the internet, I couldn't gather any sort of an answer. I've always wondered which brand/what kind of a watch does Bond use in Never Say Never Again. Is it custom built made-up watch?

lozw0zm.jpg

@QBranch @bondjames Any thoughts?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,000
    @ClarkDevlin Although many people seem to think it was a Seiko (and some claiming that it's just a generic Citizen), it appears that our opposite numbers over at AJB may have figured out the true identity. They claim it was a watch made by Orfina under the name Prestige Watch International after they lost the rights to use the name Porsche Design (see: https://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/34289/never-say-never-again-watch/). The thread suffers from some link rot, unfortunately. A Google image search for Prestige Watch International Orfina shows many very similar looking watches.
    Thanks, @BMW_with_missiles!

Although, looking at some of the selections on Google, they're almost very similar, but there's something that tells me it's not what we're looking for.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    You're welcome @ClarkDevlin. I do find it quite strange that no one knows for sure what it is.
    Agreed. I do hope one day one of the film crew shows up here or somewhere else and confirms this long withstanding mystery about NSNA.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    This may have been asked, answered or whatever. But I’m not looking back to see through 158 pages.
    I love TLD and will defend till my last breath if need be. However something struck me earlier and I’m not sure if I missed it, or if it’s sloppy story telling.
    When Necros kills Saunders and the Prater park fun fair, how did Necros know that Bond or Saunders would be there?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    He must've been watching them from the shadows, wiretapping Saunders' phones, keeping tabs on him, etc.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't think it's too much of a leap to assume that not only was Kara being followed/tracked (by orders of Koskov), Koskov himself likely had some old KGB friends or even moles planted inside the Brits that let him know where Saunders was going to be and that he and Bond would be meeting to discuss something relating to Koskov's corruption and his framing of Pushkin. Koskov would then be able to not only kill Saunders and sever part of the investigation into his activities, he could also send a message to the Brits to once again make them think the Russians were behind it.

I don't know if Koskov was aware that Bond was on to him at the time, but if you think that he was you could view the "Smiert Spionam" balloon as a taunt instead of a ploy to confuse when viewing it through Bond's eyes.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I don't think it's too much of a leap to assume that not only was Kara being followed/tracked (by orders of Koskov), Koskov himself likely had some old KGB friends or even moles planted inside the Brits that let him know where Saunders was going to be and that he and Bond would be meeting to discuss something relating to Koskov's corruption and his framing of Pushkin. Koskov would then be able to not only kill Saunders and sever part of the investigation into his activities, he could also send a message to the Brits to once again make them think the Russians were behind it.

I don't know if Koskov was aware that Bond was on to him at the time, but if you think that he was you could view the "Smiert Spionam" balloon as a taunt instead of a ploy to confuse when viewing it through Bond's eyes.

That is one scenario. And could work. However Koskov has just defected to the West (as far as the KGB and mother Russia know) it's unlikely he'd be able to contact any KGB friends for assistance. Necros may have contacts to assist.
    A small scene to show this would've made this spy thriller even more cloak and dagger if we were given a few more details here and there. Rather than, they just knew how to find them.

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    This isn't a particularly serious question as I know these scenes were thrown in purely for comedy and aren't meant to make sense plot-wise, but how exactly does M have the telephone number of Scaramanga's boat at the end of TMWTGG, and MI6 have a video connection to Moonraker 5 at the end of Moonraker? The ending in TSWLM actually made sense since Bond used the villain's craft to get back to his superiors, but in those ones, things could've been a lot more... interesting if MI6 could just ring up the villains. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Benny wrote: »

That is one scenario. And could work. However Koskov has just defected to the West (as far as the KGB and mother Russia know) it's unlikely he'd be able to contact any KGB friends for assistance. Necros may have contacts to assist.
    A small scene to show this would've made this spy thriller even more cloak and dagger if we were given a few more details here and there. Rather than, they just knew how to find them.
    @Benny, I meant Koskov's ex-KGB friends, maybe those who were out or those who were still inside Russia but approved of his attempts to unseat Pushkin and aided him as quietly as they could. Either way, I imagine that Koskov's profile and his many dealings through his job would've presented him with a copious amount of contacts who would get him the information on Saunders and Bond that he needed.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    This isn't a particularly serious question as I know these scenes were thrown in purely for comedy and aren't meant to make sense plot-wise, but how exactly does M have the telephone number of Scaramanga's boat at the end of TMWTGG, and MI6 have a video connection to Moonraker 5 at the end of Moonraker? The ending in TSWLM actually made sense since Bond used the villain's craft to get back to his superiors, but in those ones, things could've been a lot more... interesting if MI6 could just ring up the villains. :)

They deleted a scene where Bond has a small transmitter device punched into his wrist. But they liked the idea so much they brought it back in the Craig era...twice. ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    NicNac wrote: »

They deleted a scene where Bond has a small transmitter device punched into his wrist. But they liked the idea so much they brought it back in the Craig era...twice. ;)

After it serves no useful purpose in CR (even in the poison scene doesn't he shove a needle in so they can see what has poisoned him?) they brought it back in SP where it served even less of a purpose.

In a long lost of things I hate about SP I'd probably have the smart blood just above the DB5 returning but below the '00 program'.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Yes, it's rather heading into sci-fi territory with the whole smart blood thing. At least I think it is - I assume it's not real?!

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The fact that they brought it up a few films later, dubbing it "smart blood" killed me. Sounded like a borderline cheesy sci-fi inclusion, instead of keeping it simple like in CR.

The tracking of Bond in CR was a clear payoff to his reckless nature, M's way of keeping her eyes on him after what he pulled in Madagascar, etc. Mallory has Bond injected with smart blood for the same reason, to keep tabs on him after Mexico City, a nice little retread or callback to Bond's past with the trackers.

I don't think the concept of smart blood was wacky or too far out considering what franchise this is, and it's one of my favorite parts of the film idea-wise. One day we could see something like that tech invented considering how many advancements scientists are already making with nanotechnology even now, which is quite exciting when you think of how we could live to see a day where microscopic tech performs surgery or fends off disease in the human body.

I just wish the smart blood idea had more relevance in SP beyond Bond being tracked by Nine Eyes and Mallory keeping watch, the latter creating a fun moment between Bond and Q, as it could have served a grander and more interesting purpose. For example, I would have liked to see Bond purposefully get himself punched so that he could spit out some blood at Blofeld's headquarters, broadcasting his location to MI6 for backup or something to that effect. Or simply have another way of Bond using his blood strategically, like wiping some blood from his wound in the torture chair on Blofeld to track him to London after he escapes, etc.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I’m with Brady on this one. Very well defined.

In CR, it makes sense for me to have the chip installed in Bond’s arm, especially if they were going to keep tracking of him and where he was with all that money. They can’t fully trust him with all that millions, after all. Not just yet.

In Spectre, it was supposed to play a large part and was to be accessed to by Blofeld who would have intimidated Bond with it with the claim he could get to anybody. But, after too much cutting off from the script, we got an inconsistent film that hardly makes sense. And yes, smart blood isn’t a far fetched concept, if it doesn’t already exist in the hands of the government.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I’m with Brady on this one. Very well defined.

In CR, it makes sense for me to have the chip installed in Bond’s arm, especially if they were going to keep tracking of him and where he was with all that money. They can’t fully trust him with all that millions, after all. Not just yet.

In Spectre, it was supposed to play a large part and was to be accessed to by Blofeld who would have intimidated Bond with it with the claim he could get to anybody. But, after too much cutting off from the script, we got an inconsistent film that hardly makes sense. And yes, smart blood isn’t a far fetched concept, if it doesn’t already exist in the hands of the government.

So if they cut the payoff why not cut the set up as the smart blood (despite your chaps eloquent defence I still hate the concept) served no purpose whatsoever except Q being able to track Bond?

Watch the TND deleted scenes and even a journeyman like Spottiswoode realises these film making basics when he cut Ricky Jay's card throwing trick.

But obviously you have already answered the question why it's still in there - SP's script is a shambles and this is hardly the worst of it's crimes.
    Very true. The smart blood in SP served no purpose whatsoever.