Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

Comments

• edited January 2013 Posts: 1,098
    Yes..........i dont disagree.......its great to see the success of 'SF'.

I expected it to be a big hit, if the reviews were positive........but it has been very successful.
    Probably the best result considering past BO has been North America, where Bond has for the first time since the 60's had a really big impact!
    htall90 wrote:
    Tbf to Skyfall films do not spend literally months on end in the cinema like they did in the 60s and far less films where released in the 60s compared to now. There was a lot of other films released particularly in America for skyfall to contend with during it's early run.So it's run is impressive everything released in the 60s was more successful relative to now due to being one of the first and the lack of other big
    movies.

True to a certain extent, though i do remember 'TB' had to put up with that film with that bleedin Von Trapp family which couldnt stop singing throughout the film.....now what was it. Oh yes......'The Sound of Music' biggest film ever at the time. Glad my parents didnt take me to see it though.............haha
    htall90 wrote:
    Tbf to Skyfall films do not spend literally months on end in the cinema like they did in the 60s and far less films where released in the 60s compared to now. There was a lot of other films released particularly in America for skyfall to contend with during it's early run.So it's run is impressive everything released in the 60s was more successful relative to now due to being one of the first and the lack of other big movies.

Well in those days if you wanted to see a movie you either watched it on tv or had to go to the cinema...............No video or dvd around yet.

A very different media era.

I saw most 007 movies in cinema several times simply because there were NO video tapes around, It was a somewhat magical time.

Yes but Skyfall had to deal with maybe half a dozen big films release fairly soon after it was released and thats worse in a time when films only spend around 3 months in theatres if there lucky lol. Yh going to the cinema was a much bigger event back then no other ways to see the film fairly quickly.
    Wouldn't we need to compare the months in theaters to compare the achievement? I mean, the old ones came back over and over again for many, many years, so I suppose, the old ones will beat every modern film by far and like this balance out the differences in marketts and the overall movie going experience of nowadays.
    Or shall we just agree that you can't really compare a film released in last few years to any released nearly 50 years ago lol?
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 6,601
    htall90 wrote:
    Or shall we just agree that you can't really compare a film released in last few years to any released nearly 50 years ago lol?

Well, however that might be, but as you see, many here try - including you..
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    In a matter if days @Thelivingroyale is going to get his wish. Batman is going to be beaten by, Mr. Kisskiss Bangbang.
    Germanlady wrote:
    htall90 wrote:

Well, however that might be, but as you see, many here try - including you..

I've seen the error of my ways no point in it really.

• edited January 2013 Posts: 5,745
    Funny, one of the Transformers toys is called 'Skyfall'. That should be an easy caption for good ol' @Brady.
    On Box office forums there still saying about $55 to 60 mil in China final gross does this mean after first week presumably films in China movies fall quickly? If there right it will fall just short of ROTK and Transformers 3.
  • doubleoego wrote:
    In a matter if days @Thelivingroyale is going to get his wish. Batman is going to be beaten by, Mr. Kisskiss Bangbang.

:) Who would've thought it eh? SF came out of nowhere and blindsided everybody with it's success.
    I think......whatever the sceptics will say know.....they have not much sceptical to say anymore. It also gets a bit tiresome, being objective on the current box office success of 'Skyfall' :-).
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,015
    Germanlady wrote:
    Wouldn't we need to compare the months in theaters to compare the achievement?
    Don't forget the copies had to be shipped from one theater to another once the owner of the "big" theater considered he had had enough attendees, and he could give it to a more little theater etc. After a few months, you could see some movie on a used copy with scratchs or burns, etc, or on a "new copy" (and then it was advertised as such to attract people).

The massive simultaneous release now allow massive promotion at national scale, etc.. and in particular massive PR at the release when the first box office figures are estimated (I can tell you that even as late as in the 1990s for instance, talking about box office results in the first days would have made you sound like some autistic person !).

And Gustav Graves, please realize it's because you never apologize for some of your comments ("newcomer", ah !), that I more and more let you have the final word because it seems so important to you. But if you feel you impress me as a box office expert, well, sorry but it's a big NO. You weren't even able to understand the box office of your own country :)

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    mepal1 wrote:
    'GF' and 'TB' were mega hits, and thats why they are still in the real top 50 films of alltime, even 50 years on and god knows how many films have been released in that time.

They aren't in the top 50.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,119
    And Gustav Graves, please realize it's because you never apologize for some of your comments ("newcomer", ah !), that I more and more let you have the final word because it seems so important to you. But if you feel you impress me as a box office expert, well, sorry but it's a big NO. You weren't even able to understand the box office of your own country :)

I think my respect for you started to grow here. Especially when you gave away your sources. I then understood we need to take into account other sources too. And I now frequently check the entgroup box office figures for China.

Also, I don't have any interest in becoming a box office expert here. If I come across as arrogant in here, then I am sorry for that. It has never been my intention. I am just incredibly happy about 'Skyfall', so sometimes I get a bit carried away.

I do think, that there is also a big difference in being a box office expert and a more general trendwatcher.

What I don't like about you is the fact that even after all this, even when some respect for you kicks in, you still get agitated and/or irritated by me. That's not necessary and that problem is entirely yours.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    mepal1 wrote:
    'GF' and 'TB' were mega hits, and thats why they are still in the real top 50 films of alltime, even 50 years on and god knows how many films have been released in that time.

Yes...........they pigging are! (inflation adjusted)

;)

ps: 'SF' actually grossed $34.4 mil in first week in China....not too bad eh?...who here said film was a failure in China???????????????own up!
    SF the 007th highest grossing movie of all time! will the Hobbit enter the top 10 and push SF down? what do you guys think? Does it look like the Hobbit will break 1.1 billion?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    mepal1 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    mepal1 wrote:

Yes...........they pigging are! (inflation adjusted)

;)

OK, fair enough but we all know about inflation...
    mnhettia wrote:
    SF the 007th highest grossing movie of all time! will the Hobbit enter the top 10 and push SF down? what do you guys think? Does it look like the Hobbit will break 1.1 billion?

No, The Hobbit will eek past $1 billion, that's all. And Skyfall is still 8th but not for long.
    Yh with inflation rates and market growth nothing stays in the top ten for years like it did upto fairly recently but still a massive achievement.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So SF is the highest grossing Bond film of all time. Wonderful news.
    Well, I gave explanations already so many times, so I'll just give again one of the most surprising point :

In the US, GF and TB were not crushing the box office of their days as much as one thinks. For instance GF + TB added together only had one #1 weekly spot in the US (TB release week) ! (Note though that US weekly box office was not computed with $, but done with polls asking theater ownes to "judge" on a subjective scale the success of the movies). But the movies at that time were so much more than today, that even being a great but not mega success still means much more than today business wise.

Also for the reports one read about China :
    Both 8000+ and 5500+ screens are still being reported. But I'm afraid those who quote the 8000+ figure are those who are reporting other data not very well, so I'll stick to my bet the correct figure is 5500+. On the other hand, the figures of 4.8M$ and 5.1Ms for the opening day are not contradictory : the second figure simply includes the 0.3M$ of the previews the week before.
    Creasy47 wrote:

According to who?............no one knows exactly!
    How many times do we have to point this out to you?
    Well, I gave explanations already so many times, so I'll just give again one of the most surprising point :

In the US, GF and TB were not crushing the box office of their days as much as one thinks. For instance GF + TB added together only had one #1 weekly spot in the US (TB release week) ! (Note though that US weekly box office was not computed with $, but done with polls asking theater ownes to "judge" on a subjective scale the success of the movies). But the movies at that time were so much more than today, that even being a great but not mega success still means much more than today business wise.

One also has to remember, that it isnt till recent times that a film had a wide release, not so long ago when a film was released it would only open in cinemas in big cities initially, and then after a while would spread out across the country into smaller towns.
    Therefore it would of been difficult to of had a weekly top film!
  • mepal1 wrote:
    [Almost exact copy of my answer to GermanLady +]Therefore it would of been difficult to of had a weekly top film!
    Oh well...

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 40,473
    mepal1 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

That's not what the main page of this site reads. Seems there are others that disagree with you, as well. Suck it up.
    Strange how different the reports are:

Skyfall Draws Record Crowds In China The James Bond movie Skyfall, which opened last Monday in China, took in $35 million during its first week, according to the website 21cn.com. It was a record for a 2D film, the website said, and was exceeded only by James Cameron's 3D Avatar, which opened in China with $46 million in its first week in 2010. With numerous scenes shot in Shanghai, the film has received positive notices from Chinese moviegoers. The state-owned website China.org.cn, quoted a 27-year-old media worker as saying, It is a rare thing for an international action movie to depict China in a fashionable way. But on a Twitter-like social media site called Sina Weibo, one blogger commented, It feels somewhat weird to see Bond in a Chinese setting. China.org.cn quoted Beijing filmmaker Chen Chuanlu as saying that the film shows that Hollywood has now broken the stereotype of [Chinese] being treacherous, backward and superstitious ... thanks to the growing importance of the domestic market and increasing understanding about the nation.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/skyfall_draws_record_crowds_in_china_3472979
    Germanlady wrote:
    Strange how different the reports are:
    I think that there is a new trend on the blogosphere in rushing to say that movies flop (look at the early reports about The Hobbit, it's quite impressive, after a few days or even hours, a probably future $1bn movie was described as a major box office disappointement by the "experts").

Ok I'm bragging, but who reported here before anyone else that in China the first viewings at midnight of Skyfall were sold out or almost sold out ? :)

• edited January 2013 Posts: 5,745
    mepal1 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Does your tone really have to be so condescending?
    At what point will you be 100% convinced that Skyfall has become the highest grossing Bond film?

Skyfall made more last week with the opening in China than the three weeks before that combined. o.0
    Record crowds what are they talking about maybe for a bond film nothing else Titanic 3d made over $30 mil more in it's opening week for the record in China? That report above is so wrong it's unreal.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    mepal1 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Does your tone really have to be so condescending?
    At what point will you be 100% convinced that Skyfall has become the highest grossing Bond film?

Skyfall made more last week with the opening in China than the three weeks before that combined. o.0

And @Creasy47 and @JWESTBROOK, you are both classic gents and don't have the time for @mepal1's stubborn demeanor. My advice:

As to the Chinese reviews coming in, I don't think they would be so eager to call Skyfall a film that "has now broken the stereotype of [Chinese] being treacherous, backward and superstitious" if they would have gotten the cut of the film we saw.