Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

Comments

• edited January 2013 Posts: 11,119
    The late Ian Fleming would've hated Skyfall. He was a racist, homophobic snob (not having a go at him for it, so was almost everyone back then), who thought Connery didn't look the part and who didn't even like DN and FRWL because he thought they were too different to the source material (which are two films thought of as actually closer to the books).

I fail to see why he would've loved SF. He probably wouldn't have liked any Bond film.

You fail to mention that Fleming quickly got fond of Sean Connery. On the sets of DN, FRWL and GF Fleming and Connery were pretty good pals.

But really, calling him a homophobic snob goes too far. For me, as a gay person, I think he did some groundbreaking stuff, making lesbians and gays a bit more well-known in a mid 1950's society, which in the UK was staunchly conservative. Because that's what you tend to forget all of a sudden.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Did he? I swear I remember a quote from him along the lines of "fans of my books won't like them (FRWL and DN)"

Maybe I'm imagining things.

Yes, really. In interviews on the set of From Russia With Love he mentions how good he thought Dr. No was. He turned round to like Connery too.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Ah ok, I was wrong about that then. I think my other points still stand though.

@Gustav He was homophobic. What about the bit in Goldfinger when he writes about how gays and lesbians were the result of women getting equal rights? Or how Bond makes Pussy Galore straight?

I'm not complaining because it was the 50s and the books were a product of the tims but some bits of the books are a bit cringe worthy reading them now and I think it is homophobic.

EDIT- Here's a few quotes from Goldfinger demonstrating what I mean.

"Bond came to the conclusion that Tilly Masterton was one of those girls whose hormones had got mixed up. He knew the type well and thought they and their male counterparts were a direct consequence of giving votes to women and ‘sex equality’. As a result of fifty years of emancipation, feminine qualities were dying out or being transferred to the males. Pansies of both sexes were everywhere, not yet completely homosexual, but confused, not knowing what they were. The result was a herd of unhappy sexual misfits – barren and full of frustrations, the women wanting to dominate and the men to be nannied. He was sorry for them, but he had no time for them."

"Bond liked the look of her. He felt the sexual challenge all beautiful Lesbians have for men. He was amused by the uncompromising attitude that said to Goldfinger and to the room, ‘All men are bastards and cheats. Don’t try any masculine hocus on me. I don’t go for it. I’m in a separate league.’"

Bond said firmly, ‘Lock that door, Pussy, take off that sweater and come into bed. You’ll catch cold.’ She did as she was told, like an obedient child. She lay in the crook of Bond’s arm and looked up at him. She said, not in a gangster’s voice, or a Lesbian’s, but in a girl’s voice, ‘Will you write to me in Sing Sing?’ Bond looked down into the deep blue-violet eyes that were no longer hard, imperious. He bent and kissed them lightly. He said, ‘They told me you only liked women.’ he said, ‘I never met a man before.’

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    You must understand that some authors can create characters with completely opposite sets of beliefs that they themselves hold. That's part of creating a character: Making them their own person on the page. Every character that Fleming ever wrote wasn't just like him in the respect to his beliefs and traits, so why would Bond?
  • That is not censorship. The same example you mentioned, more or less happened in my example A). If you do it to please the Chinese, and the Chinese state government, or if you 'think' this should be deleted, then you can call it at most indirect censorship.

And that's why they'll do that in the future I'm sure. Same result, but for some reason, people will accept it this way :)

FYI, official China news agencies *ARE* reporting that Skyfall has been censored. It's quite some change from the opinion even mention of censorship is being censored.

When they will be co-producers, there will be nothing to censor, case closed !

• RC7RC7
    You must understand that some authors can create characters with completely opposite sets of beliefs that they themselves hold. That's part of creating a character: Making them their own person on the page. Every character that Fleming ever wrote wasn't just like him in the respect to his beliefs and traits, so why would Bond?

I think it's fair to say the character is semi-autobiographical. I'm not suggesting everything Bond thinks and feels is parallel with Fleming, there's some exaggeration and a also a level of toning down, but it's certainly not the polar opposite. @thelivingroyale quotes Bond, not other characters.

• RC7 wrote:
    For all the talk of censorship, pirating, action etc, perhaps the Chinese just don't, on the whole, like Skyfall?
    What about waiting a few days to know if Skyfall is succesfull or not in China, to begin with ? The truth is that no one knows yet.

You think you can analyze from the first few days because they proceed like this in other markets ? The truth is that China's market is VERY different. New movies are released every day of the week or so. It's not like every Friday a bunch of new movies compete for the first place or so. Also the bookings could be tracked as early as the 19th of Jan. Results : sold out venues, but very few showings. How do you analyze that ?

Also, many early reports you read are from what I'm told probably totally wrong on many levels.

Did you know that LAST WEEK, Skyfall was #9 in China with only the previews ?

• RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:
    For all the talk of censorship, pirating, action etc, perhaps the Chinese just don't, on the whole, like Skyfall?
    What about waiting a few days to know if Skyfall is succesfull or not in China, to begin with ? The truth is that no one knows yet.

You think you can analyze from the first few days because they proceed like this in other markets ? The truth is that China's market is VERY different. New movies are released every day of the week or so. It's not like every Friday a bunch of new movies compete for the first place or so. Also the bookings could be tracked as early as the 19th of Jan. Results : sold out venues, but very few showings. How do you analyze that ?

Also, many early reports you read are from what I'm told probably totally wrong on many levels.

Did you know that LAST WEEK, Skyfall was #9 in China with only the previews ?

You're absolutely right. I was being slightly sarcastic. A lot of people are already whining that it has flopped after day one. I have no idea about the Chinese market, apart from what I read. Who knows, and really, who cares?
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,015
    RC7 wrote:
    You're absolutely right. I was being slightly sarcastic.
    My "you" was "general". I didn't really answer to "you", but I rather used a post from someone like you who does not suffer from ranking hysteria to try to make a point for the others, who already 'explain' a result no one knows yet !

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RC7 wrote:

I think it's fair to say the character is semi-autobiographical. I'm not suggesting everything Bond thinks and feels is parallel with Fleming, there's some exaggeration and a also a level of toning down, but it's certainly not the polar opposite. @thelivingroyale quotes Bond, not other characters.
    Exactly, that's what I am saying. After all, it is quite common for authors to put some of themselves into their characters.
    Yh not a flop will probably finish top 10 for the year in China at least problem is you could say it will hold well like it has in most other countries but it has poor word of mouth in China so it's unlikely.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    We've got a billion dollar film in the series, do we really care if a country that sensors the film to a large degree doesn't like it like the rest of the world?

Personally it's small potato's and very unlikely to effect the direction of the next film one bit, yes it would have been nice for it to be a hit there but it isn't so lets live with it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Shardlake wrote:
    We've got a billion dollar film in the series, do we really care if a country that sensors the film to a large degree doesn't like it like the rest of the world?

Personally it's small potato's and very unlikely to effect the direction of the next film one bit, yes it would have been nice for it to be a hit there but it isn't so lets live with it.

Well said @Shardlake, I'd put it down to most people have probably seen a boot legged copy of SF by now in China.
    China isn't exactly a large market. SF had already taken a billion dollars before it opened there. I'm still impressed with the figures it gets. Truly impressive no matter which way you look at it.
    I've got reports the satisfaction rate in some movie theathers chain (Wanda) in China for Skyfall is 95%. Wow, the experts should tell them they' re supposed not to like it and that "it has a bad word of mouth" (translation : some Internet blogger read three bad tweets before rushing to write an analysis :) )

More seriously, it seems below 80% satisfaction rates have never been seen though I'm told, and well, the current record breaking "Lost in Thailand" has a reported 98% rate (!).. So I'll let you judge. As for the success, I'm told it will be unknown until next Sunday results come in. Mega success seems unlikely now ok (but people have seen weirder things), but "flop", not sure at all either.

For the anecdote, tomorrow at the Wanda Plaza in Beijing, if you want to see Skyfall, you can choose a viewing at

08:40
    09:10
    09:50
    10:30
    11:15
    11:50
    12:30
    13:10
    13:50
    14:10
    14:30
    15:10
    15:50
    16:30
    16:50
    17:10
    17:50
    18:20
    18:30
    19:10
    19:30
    19:50
    20:30
    21:00
    21:10
    21:50
    22:10
    22:30
    23:10
    23:40
    23:50

(!)

The very first night, it was 20:30 and 0:00 only...
    Gosh - like REALLY?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    No wonder there's only 50 odd people per screening when there's one every 20 minutes. How many screens do their cinemas have? Or has the communist government decreed you can visit the cinema but there's only ever one film to choose from.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Haha! That's insane but in a way makes sense given the population.

How many screens do their cinemas have?
    Estimates are 11,000/12,000. I don't know where this 8,000+ figures for the SF release on the home page comes from, frankly. Divide by 2 to be more realistic, I'm afraid + not all screen are the same at all.

Even if this Wanda cinema I choose for the anecdote, the number of seats go from 1200 to 30 (thirty, no typo there).

You can check online the online bookings here :

http://www.wandafilm.com/trade/movie_times.jsp

Click on the first line of the second column, then click on the 007 and then scroll down, with the mouse on the green icon you'll see the seats that are already taken for the viewings. How many buy their tickets in front of the desk is unknown though, but it was interesting to watch for the premieres...

mini_179719skif.png

Btw, Wanda owns USA's AMC :)

One last point : "The Grandmaster", who topped the Chinese Box office last week, has a 78% satisfaction rate, so the 95% rate for Skyfall may be quite significant. I'm afraid all the things you read about Skyfall in China is once again in this country very, very lousy reporting (Google "Looper China error" for a fun one).

I don't claim to have more accurate data, but I know people in the biz mature to be able to say "no one knows yet" (instead of boasting an instant analysis to sound like an expert and gather hits on their page for Google ads money). Box office business is more manipulation than real accountancy, anyway. Even the French box office report where they give you figure like "343,202 viewers this week" are actually just +/-5% estimates, but for some reason reports keeps on using figures that makes it sound like ultra-accurate ballot reports. The true figures are known only one year later, and are not even available for free for the public actually.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    How many screens do their cinemas have?
    Estimates are 11,000/12,000. I don't know where this 8,000+ figures for the SF release on the home page comes from, frankly. Divide by 2 to be more realistic, I'm afraid + not all screen are the same at all.

Even if this Wanda cinema I choose for the anecdote, the number of seats go from 1200 to 30 (thirty, no typo there).

You can check online the online bookings here :

http://www.wandafilm.com/trade/movie_times.jsp

Click on the first line of the second column, then click on the 007 and then scroll down, with the mouse on the green icon you'll see the seats that are already taken for the viewings. How many buy their tickets in front of the desk is unknown though, but it was interesting to watch for the premieres...

mini_179719skif.png

Btw, Wanda owns USA's AMC :)

One last point : "The Grandmaster", who topped the Chinese Box office last week, has a 78% satisfaction rate, so the 95% rate for Skyfall may be quite significant. I'm afraid all the things you read about Skyfall in China is once again in this country very, very lousy reporting (Google "Looper China error" for a fun one).

I don't claim to have more accurate data, but I know people in the biz mature to be able to say "no one knows yet" (instead of boasting an instant analysis to sound like an expert and gather hits on their page for Google ads money). Box office business is more manipulation than real accountancy, anyway. Even the French box office report where they give you figure like "343,202 viewers this week" are actually just +/-5% estimates, but for some reason reports keeps on using figures that makes it sound like ultra-accurate ballot reports. The true figures are known only one year later, and are not even available for free for the public actually.

I will continue to suis suivez for updates as he's been pretty thorough so far and is trying to bring objective facts rather than merely try and state SF has beaten TB or TDKR.
  • RC7RC7
    @TheWizardOfIce - ditto
    Latest reports say that Skyfall has made $14 mil in 3 days ahead of TDRK at the same point but behind TASM $50 mil in China looks likely so Skyfall may fall short of $1.1 billion w.w. Who send China is not a big market lol it's one of three biggest i believe only the US and maybe the UK are bigger.It also the fastest growing market growing at 30% a year currently by 2020 it will be the biggest market in world ahead of the USA so yeah not a big market.
    The funny thing is that right now in France there's is a very hot debate about the salary of actors (*), and why they're paid so much before anyone knows if the movie is a success or not. And some now states publicly the amount of money a movie actually does is a secret that can be kept for long (the figures in the media are just Public Relations), and that's why the actors refuse to be paid according to the results since no one has a way to know them in the short term !

(*) : and there is a Skyfall link ! Asterix "underperformed" at the French box office (3.5M viewers while 8M and even more were expected). It is the producers of it who lost some money, they say, that launched a bomb in the media explaining French movies are too expensive because the actors are paid too much (the agent of the star is sometimes the 2nd biggest budget of a movie !).
    Asterix was actually expected to do so much more that no big blockbuster was released in the weeks after it, only a few French comedies were released the weeks after. Only one big blockbuster was released just the week after, while screens for Asterix were already less than expected. It had 3 weeks as the only "big" movie on the French screens while Asterix was already losing the biggest venues. You know the name...
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 6,601
    I thought for some time, that the love affair with Asterix is over. IMo its because, there is not enough room for fresh ideas anymore and people get bored.
    Given some people often read far too much in what I write, I should add that the void left by Asterix and the lack of competition is not the ONLY reason Skyfall did so well in France. But it clearly helped a lot. Somehow I think the main true reason is the mix of entertainment +auteur, 007 + Mendes, that gather two very different kind of audiences. In the meantime, Marvel +Branagh was not a "mega" success though (but still almost 2M viewers, not bad at all, a true success nevertheless), so.. Box office mystery !
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,119
    htall90 wrote:
    Latest reports say that Skyfall has made $14 mil in 3 days ahead of TDRK at the same point but behind TASM $50 mil in China looks likely so Skyfall may fall short of $1.1 billion w.w. Who send China is not a big market lol it's one of three biggest i believe only the US and maybe the UK are bigger.It also the fastest growing market growing at 30% a year currently by 2020 it will be the biggest market in world ahead of the USA so yeah not a big market.

Can you please tell me what TASM means, for which movie it stands?

China is a very important market for James Bond, but can somebody please help me accurately updating my listing down below? I want to know what the exact box office gross of 'The Dark Knight Rises' was in China

*UPDATED MONDAY JANUARY 24TH 2013*:

001) $1,081,041,287 -- 'Batman 8: The Dark Knight Rises' (2012) IMDB: 8.8 ▪ $1,028,255,953 - 95.1% --> worldwide gross (excl. China)
    $0,448,139,099 - 41.5% --> domestic (USA) gross
    $0,052,785,334 - 04.9% --> domestic (China) gross
    $0,580,116,854 - 53.6% --> foreign (rest) gross[/i]

002) 1,041,214,405 -- 'JAMES BOND 23: SKYFALL' (2012, 92 DAYS IN CINEMAS) IMDB: 8.0 ▪
    $1,041,214,405 - 100% --> WORLDWIDE GROSS (EXCL. CHINA)
    $0,301,113,921 - 28.9% --> DOMESTIC (USA) GROSS
    $.......t.b.d........ - 00.0% --> DOMESTIC (CHINA) GROSS
    $0,740,100,484 - 71.1% --> FOREIGN (REST) GROSS

If my above figures are accurate, then 'Skyfall' is surely going to beat 'The Dark Knight Rises' no? Only $40 Million short :-).
    TASM = The Amazing Spiderman
    As for the box office, well, I won't cure you from your ranking hysteria, but for your info, the Yen/US$ exchange rate change like about 2% each day. That means the 6 last digit of any WW cumulative is meaningless actually :) (and that's only one of the reason)
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,081
    [
    If my above figures are accurate, then 'Skyfall' is surely going to beat 'The Dark Knight Rises' no? Only $40 Million short :-).

One would certainly think so. :)

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Does SF look even remotely likely to make 30million in China?
    Tuulia wrote:
    [

One would certainly think so. :)

And 'Skyfall' then will most certainly beat 'The Amazing Spiderman', of which the China box office gross was $0,048,818,164, if I'm not mistaken. Less than 'The Dark Knight Rises' $0,052,785,334.

Also, isn't it a bitttt early to say 'Skyfall' is a failure in China? It premiered on a Monday. I guess that's the day where most people start the new workweek no? I am more curious about what 'Skyfall' will do during the upcoming weekend in China.

I also think it's not solely a matter of 'more action' that would give 'Skyfall' more success. 'The Amazing Spiderman' also premiered two months later after its initial premiere, so that movie must have been prone to lots of piracy either. And 'The Amazing Spiderman' is one hell of an action blockbuster.

By the way, did anyone hear what censors did to 'Cloud Atlas' in China? They cut 36 min's (!!) of the film's original 172 min's. As I love the movie, but as it is also a complex interwoven mosaic story, I think that's rather unheard off. I heard that it had become so unwatcheable, that people left the cinema during the movie.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Does SF look even remotely likely to make 30million in China?

Sjee, off course it will :-D!!