Daniel Craig Olympics Opening

Comments

I have to say, the transformation of the center of the stadium through the 'industrial revolution' was impressive.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I have to say, the transformation of the center of the stadium through the 'industrial revolution' was impressive.

I quite liked that as well. Just the other day I saw Kenneth Branagh on Craig Ferguson talking about how excited he was for the Olympics, and now I know why he was.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Meeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh... :(( :(( :(( Kust found out that I missed SHERLOCK (first season) by watching the Olympic ceremony stuff ... Almost 4 hours ... Well, that means I am well prepared to sit through 165 minutes TDKR tomorrow... ^#(^
    Just watched it here in the states on TV. WOW, EPIC for sure!
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,856
    Four replays at once here, must be on.....
    bondsum wrote:
    No, I didn't like it that much because I expected Craig to actually be there :P If anyone is a curmudgeon it's the Queen, barely ever smiles :))

It was alright, much less cheesey than I thought it would be and the skydive was cool, but I think overall it was a bit of a let down. Some of the other stuff in the ceremony was much better imo.
    I bet you liked the Isambard Kingdom Brunel skit with Kenneth Branagh more? :))

It was meant to be tongue in cheek and not to be taken seriously. I think it will prove to be a great advertisement for Skyfall and remind viewers that DC is still James Bond, in case they didn't get the memo. Come tomorrow ever newspaper around the world will have a picture of Her Maj with James Bond on the front page. Can't be bad.
    That is what I thought: what a brilliant bit of publicity.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited July 2012 Posts: 1,329
    http://007.com apparently some skyfall tv spot to be released at 5:45 am!
    @007: At approx 5.45am BST today http://t.co/H8xcncfF will be posting a special SKYFALL TV spot (that will be shown during NBC's Olympic coverage)
    the chances it will be an edited version of the Olympics stunt? 83.2%
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    the chances it will be an edited version of the Olympics stunt? 83.2%

Haha very precise! I hope not!
  • RC7RC7
    I'm a cynic but thought it was wonderful. A tad UN but very good.
  • Bond didn't get knighted, so it's a moot point whether this represented a de facto knightood for Daniel Craig. Whether by intention or by luck, Ian Fleming's original notion -- that Bond isn't knighthood and would refuse it if offered (The Man With the Golden Gun novel) -- is still in effect.
    Just saw the new TV spot on NBC here in the states.

Shortened version of the IMAX trailer #2. Still had the watch adjust scene :)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I enjoyed the scene very much. The best bit? Bond has finally meet the Queen. The entire opening was great too. How does it compare to some of the others? One of the best ever?
    Loved Craig's facial expression when the Queen doesn't immediately turn to him. And his face when he looks down on the corgis when taking off.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    They should know the facts
    http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/07/2012-summer-olympics-opening-ceremony-schedule.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

James Bond (aka actor Daniel Craig) will also be on hand -- in fact, he'll drop into the stadium on a rope ladder suspended from a helicopter as the James Bond theme music plays over loudspeakers. For real. This will follow a short film directed by Boyle in which 007 is instructed by Queen Elizabeth to launch the games.

It didn't turn out that way. Still great exposure for Bond.

• Thought it was OK, not great. The crowd noise sort of drowned out QE saying "Mr. Bond". But then, the original Bond theme should have made it obvious to anyone who didn't get it. I was glad to hear it. The U.S feed announcer Bob Costas seemed to be more amused like in a "WTF" kind of way but didn't mention Bond either.

I think EON still got a lot of mileage out of this anyway as far as worldwide exposure. Craig's already high profile went up too. Billions watched it all. Can't do much better than that. Hopefully fan merchandising will rev up next.

• Samuel001 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    It seems cool but Bond ultimately rejected the Knighthood in the novel The Man with the Golden Gun. I am perhaps too picky, but it's because I have a huge respect for the character that Fleming created.

I agree. This bugs me too. I'd rather Bond refuse the Knighthood myself, though that would never happen, so Bond must go the other way completely!

As it turns out, Bond didn't get knighted, so the Fleming version still stands.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    It seems cool but Bond ultimately rejected the Knighthood in the novel The Man with the Golden Gun. I am perhaps too picky, but it's because I have a huge respect for the character that Fleming created.

I agree. This bugs me too. I'd rather Bond refuse the Knighthood myself, though that would never happen, so Bond must go the other way completely!

As it turns out, Bond didn't get knighted, so the Fleming version still stands.

Yes, that made things even better in my book! :)
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Saw it here in the States! There was a lot of hype for sure, but I still thought it was pretty cute haha...The American media is going Ga-ga over it, too.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SJK91 wrote:
    Saw it here in the States! There was a lot of hype for sure, but I still thought it was pretty cute haha...The American media is going Ga-ga over it, too.

I think quite a few people are disappointed because it was so much different than what they were expecting. I, too, think the word 'cute' describes it nicely, haha.
    One thing I didn't understand though: what was with all of those slow motion, trippy shots of the Corgis? Was that just Danny Boyle going overboard or did that have some sort of meaning that a Yank like me wouldn't get?
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,856
    gt007 wrote:
    Not a single Doctor Who reference? That was disappointing.

However, I'm pretty sure I heard the TARDIS during the 60's or 70's dancing bit. I thought it was a hint for a bigger Doctor Who skit later on, but unfortunately I was proven wrong.

What a shame.

Watching the 126th rerun today. The TARDIS sound effect IS used during bohemian raspontrey.

Also the brief shot of the corro kiss, makes this the first time that a same sex kiss has aired in Saudi Arabia.
    @SJK91, I was wondering the same thing. I was curious as to if there was a reason why I didn't appreciate seeing that happen, but should have.
    really cool... I'm sure fan trailers will be using this bit for a long long time lol
  • Anybody notice how DC seems to have a specific "Bond walk" that he only does when in character as Bond?
    Anybody notice how DC seems to have a specific "Bond walk" that he only does when in character as Bond?

I was actually looking for it. It slightly looks like his Bond walk, but not the traditional one we see him deliver in the Bond films.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I actually found myself thinking of DAD last night (the moment Gustav Graves parachutes into London)

(Shameful I know :( )

Maybe its just me but Craig's "Bond walk" reminds me of the T-1000
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I actually found myself thinking of DAD last night (the moment Gustav Graves parachutes into London)

Thankfully, I thought of TSWLM.

Loved it, loved it, loved it. I managed to avoid the spoilers and was estatic when I saw it.

Daniel Craig is the man.

I love this The Queen Who Loved Me moment of them both jumping with parachutes with the union flag pattern
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Kerim wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Thankfully, I thought of TSWLM.

Loved it, loved it, loved it. I managed to avoid the spoilers and was estatic when I saw it.

Daniel Craig is the man.

I SHOULD have thought of Spy but I didn't (or not as much anyway). Maybe because it was over London.

I avoided the spoilers too and almost wet myself when I saw Craig and the queen.

I bet Pierce (if he was watching it) was slowly getting more and more drunk and thinking "that used to be me".