Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• There was actually a member on here who claimed to have seen Goldeneye at the cinema 17 times despite hating it just because it was Bond. Either he was a bullshitter or an idiot.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    There was actually a member on here who claimed to have seen Goldeneye at the cinema 17 times despite hating it just because it was Bond. Either he was a bullshitter or an idiot.

Probably both.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote:
    Either way, I think it's safe to say that Tanner hasn't been as impressive as a member of MI6 staff as Robinson has.

On another note, I've watched QoS 6 times over the past 4 days; the film is really growing on me more so than before and is fast becoming a favourite.

Six times in four days? Isn't that a bit...ahem...obsessive?

Nope not at all. The film is also relatively short so that also helps.
    Good to see a bit of love for QoS, perhaps the most unfairly maligned film in the entire series.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    Chang wrote:
    I am in the QOS is better than SF camp.

How come? Don't get me wrong, I like QoS. But, how can it top SF in your opinion?
    edited February 2014 Posts: 432
    QoS is the nostalgic Bond film for me. Since it's the first I saw.
    Pajan005 wrote:
    Chang wrote:
    I am in the QOS is better than SF camp.

How come? Don't get me wrong, I like QoS. But, how can it top SF in your opinion?

I thought Silva was a little over the top, especially the train scene. I liked the villians in QOS better, which definitely goes against the grain and the pacing I thought was better. Very FYEO-ish.

SF is quality Bond though, I only saw it once so I need to catch it again. I wasn't inspired enough to buy the blu-ray though like CR & QOS.
    Chang wrote:
    I thought Silva was a little over the top, especially the train scene. I liked the villians in QOS better, which definitely goes against the grain and the pacing I thought was better. Very FYEO-ish.

SF is quality Bond though, I only saw it once so I need to catch it again. I wasn't inspired enough to buy the blu-ray though like CR & QOS.

I see. Silva was weird, but that's what made him memorable. It's theatricality, which is something that Greene was missing. Although I like Greene since he has that scary look in his eyes. I think I remember more about General Medrano. I like the gunbarrel better in QoS than in SF. They could have used the same, maybe just slowed his walk down a bit. I'll always have fondness for QoS.

SF is for me one of those movies that I never get tired of. I've probably seen that movie the most of all the Bond films. Since I saw it in the theaters I have liked it more with each viewing. I actually enjoy the quiet moments with Bond the best in the film. But, the ending battle in Scotland is amazing. The way they use the music and the shots is fantastic. In my opinion SF is a masterpiece. CR comes close, but I don't really get the same feeling with that one. QoS is a film that I'll never be able to dislike since I find it enjoyable and nostalgic.

There is also something special and subtle in Craig's performance in SF that he didn't do in CR and QoS. For example the way the touches the computer screen when he points at Patrice's picture. There are people who always complain about plot holes and so on. But, that's not that important for me. I care about the emotional feeling and enjoyment you get while watching. The way you can get emotionally invested in the characters. If you get that feeling that you forget you are watching people act on screen, then the movie has succeeded in making you escape your reality. And that's the idea.
    Chang wrote:
    I liked the villians in QOS better, which definitely goes against the grain and the pacing I thought was better. Very FYEO-ish.

I really like FYEO, It's a very good Bond movie. But, I think that Kristatos isn't that memorable as a villain.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 381
    Back to DAD--it's an underrated film that's unfairly slammed, IMHO. Brosnan did another great job as 007, the pacing is good, the action scenes are superb, the plot is a nice update of DAF and Moonraker (the novel), Jinx was great, loved the invisible car, great over-the-top villains and locales. DAD wasn't a great film like CR or Skyfall, but it is a lot of fun, about as good as the other Brosnan films, IMHO.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Chang wrote:
    I liked the villians in QOS better, which definitely goes against the grain and the pacing I thought was better. Very FYEO-ish.

Agreed, QOS is very FYEO/LTK IMO.
    (so many capital letters...) :))
    Back to DAD--it's an underrated film that's unfairly slammed, IMHO. Brosnan did another great job as 007, the pacing is good, the action scenes are superb, the plot is a nice update of DAF and Moonraker (the novel), Jinx was great, loved the invisible car, great over-the-top villains and locales. DAD wasn't a great film like CR or Skyfall, but it is a lot of fun, about as good as the other Brosnan films, IMHO.

Certainly the opinion of "Jinx being great" has to be the mother of controversial opinions ;)
    I have every confidence Bond 24 will be the best bond film....

that should make a few families unhappy
  • RC7RC7
    Risico007 wrote:

If only I had a pound for the amount of times I've seen that statement in the lead up to a new release.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Risico007 wrote:

Based on what? We know nothing about it apart from the cast and crew from Skyfall are returning, so how based on that have you decided that it'll be better than the 23 other films that came before it?

You can't have every confidence Bond 24 will be the best Bond film ever. You just can't. Especially not at this stage.
  • BAIN123 wrote:

Certainly the opinion of "Jinx being great" has to be the mother of controversial opinions ;)

I'd take her over Christmas Jones. She was maybe the most interesting and self-reliant Bond girl since Tracy. She was the one Bond girl that was a true side-kick and not a damsel in distress.
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    I'd take her over Christmas Jones. She was maybe the most interesting and self-reliant Bond girl since Tracy. She was the one Bond girl that was a true side-kick and not a damsel in distress.

They give lip service to this, both with words and with Jinx being a somewhat more active participant in Bond's adventure. However, Jinx is a crummy secret agent that isn't anywhere near Bond's class. Wai Lin is a far better example of a secret agent that's closer to Bond's caliber in the female gender.

Frankly, the restrictions of creating a secret agent runs against creating strong and unique women in the Bond franchise, as writers seems to just paste Bond's characteristics on a shapely body and call it quits.
  • I like Wai Lin, but she was a bit bland, IMO. I prefer Jinx. "Read this, bitch!" was pretty funny.
  • BAIN123 wrote:

What of Triple X, Melina Havelock, Pam Bouvier, and Natalya?
  • BAIN123 wrote:

What of Triple X, Melina Havelock, Pam Bouvier, and Natalya?

Okay, maybe I was a bit unfair, there have been others who haven't been the "damsel in distress" type. Still, I really liked Jinx and feel as though she was the one Bond girl who could have had a spin-off film. I know that was planned at one point.

• edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    The thing with Jinx though is that she's a flat out caricature who says one-liners every other time she opens her mouth. You can tell that she's trying to seize the limelight and upstage Brosnan in every scene they have together. Even Brosnan looks annoyed at times (the ice palace party)...and I don't blame him. Wai Lin may have been something of an action hero towards the end of TND, but at least Yeoh has a down-to-earth charm as well as some genuine martial arts skills.
    Risico007 wrote:

Based on what? We know nothing about it apart from the cast and crew from Skyfall are returning, so how based on that have you decided that it'll be better than the 23 other films that came before it?

You can't have every confidence Bond 24 will be the best Bond film ever. You just can't. Especially not at this stage.

I told you my opinion was controversial....
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 14,838
    I like Wai Lin, but she was a bit bland, IMO. I prefer Jinx. "Read this, bitch!" was pretty funny.

That was not funny, it was crass. Somehting you'd expect from a second grade action movie.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I like Wai Lin, but she was a bit bland, IMO. I prefer Jinx. "Read this, bitch!" was pretty funny.

That was not funny, it was crass. Somehting you'd expect from a second grade action movie.

Plus her delivery of "I think I got the........*pause because I'm about to make a joke*...........THRUST of it."

Get it? Did ya get it? Thrust. Big bang theory. Thrust. Get it?
  • Risico007 wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:

I told you my opinion was controversial....

Ok, you've given us a controversial opinion, now could you explain it? Why are you so sure already that Bond 24 will be the best one ever?
    Ludovico wrote:

Agreed. You wouldn't catch a female in a Fleming novel (or a lot of the other films) saying that.

Even Wai Lin wouldn't say something that crude.

Her worst line by far though is the "thrust" quip. Urgh!

For me her and Mary Goodnight are the most annoying Bond girls. There are times when I just can't bear either of them.
  • RC7RC7
    Jinx is the shittest character in the franchise. Period.
    RC7 wrote:

Its a tie between her and Mr Kil for me.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Mr Kil was a one trick pony and a very minor character. Jinx is far worse because she's the main Bond girl and Halle Berry was billed alongside Brosnan in the marketing campaign. That in itself is unforgivable.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Mr Kil was a one trick pony and a very minor character. Jinx is far worse because she's the main Bond girl and Halle Berry was billed alongside Brosnan in the marketing campaign. That in itself is unforgivable.

True. I'd say Halle's performance is a good contender for the worst in the series. Nearly every gesture or expression she does is annoying and self-aware.

*Smirks*: James...here for the penguin this time? or for the view again *tilts her head in an exaggerated manner"