Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• Just no end to it..

Thunderball can be a boring release, especially the underwater scenes, but can't have that said about Dr No. Got you right on Moonraker though, easily one of the most frantic and edge of your seat titles the series can offer. Ciccone used to be a good singer, but those days were long ago. Things took a slide when the singer took a disco / techno angle, as Die Another Day shows. If I take in any watch of Die Another Day (which occurs little) I simply turn off audio during the titles = as with Quantum of Solace and any Bassey titles, not to mention Carly Simon
    chrisisall wrote:
    I think that they are about the same quality.
    Does the word 'insanity' mean to you what it means to the general population?
    :))
    Sorry, I just... wow.

Exactly. If there's an objectively dreadful Bond film, DAD is undeniably it. In fact, I've got a Super Bowl bet on--if my team wins, my opponent will be forced to watch DAD. She has no idea what she's in for.

:-j

This is just cruel.
  • ChickenStu wrote:
    I find Dr No and Thunderball boring. I absolutely adore Moonraker and quite actually like Madonna's song for Die Another Day although my opinion on the actual film is fairly traditional.

Always good to see some love for MR.

I'm not overly adverse to Madonna's DAD and in fact I'll take it over the tripe of TND, AWTD and TMWTGG all day long.

Yes, bad as Madonna's song may be, those are even worse.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I think DAD is a pretty good song. AWTD is pretty good too, if you take out the vocals.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    I think DAD is a pretty good song. AWTD is pretty good too, if you take out the vocals.

Regardless of whether it's a good song or not (I don't think it is) I think we can all agree that it's a PREPOSTEROUS "Bond song."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Regardless of whether it's a good song or not (I don't think it is) I think we can all agree that it's a PREPOSTEROUS "Bond song."

AWTD or DAD?
    Another Way to Die if only because of Alicia. Jack Black was terrible!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    White.
    Tom hiddelston or Tom Hardy would be the best choices to replace Craig in 7 years lol
    Hiddleston I agree with. Hardy nope. I watched the counsellor yesterday and Fassbender just looked so damn Bondian cool in it.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Here's another one:

I HATE some of the 'comedy' in MWTGG more than a lot of DAD. In the case of DAD I've come to accept its crapness and laugh at it. In GG I just get angry and turn it off.

(I think GG is still the better film though thanks to Chris Lee and the dinner table scene.)
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    I would have liked if they centered the story of DAD more on Bond's imprisonment.
  • Not sure how controversial this is but Kinnear seems to get lots of praise so I'm sure some people will disagree: Even though his character wasn't actually called Tanner, Colin Salmon is the best Tanner by far.

Robinson was pretty much the same character anyway (hangs around with M and spouts exposition), and he's everything Tanner should be. He's mates with Bond for one thing. In Die Another Day when he gets out of prison, the first thing Bond does is go to say hi to him, plus he's the only person in MI6 Bond seems to be on first name terms with. They actually seem like friends who probably hang out with each other outside of work.

Also, he can fight if he needs to (again in Die Another Day, in the VR sequence, he helps Bond fight and tried to save M, compare that to Tanner in SF who hid behind the desk when the shooting began).

Like I said, everything Tanner should be.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Not sure how controversial this is but Kinnear seems to get lots of praise so I'm sure some people will disagree: Even though his character wasn't actually called Tanner, Colin Salmon is the best Tanner by far.

Robinson was pretty much the same character anyway (hangs around with M and spouts exposition), and he's everything Tanner should be. He's mates with Bond for one thing. In Die Another Day when he gets out of prison, the first thing Bond does is go to say hi to him, plus he's the only person in MI6 Bond seems to be on first name terms with. They actually seem like friends who probably hang out with each other outside of work.

Also, he can fight if he needs to (again in Die Another Day, in the VR sequence, he helps Bond fight and tried to save M, compare that to Tanner in SF who hid behind the desk when the shooting began).

I agree to this. I watched QoS recently and thought Kinnear was dull as hell. Robinson was top notch. Shame his character couldn't be in the Craig films too.
    I always thought Kitchen was the best Tanner.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    I like Kinnear's Tanner the best. There's something sympathetic about him.
  • Not sure how controversial this is but Kinnear seems to get lots of praise so I'm sure some people will disagree: Even though his character wasn't actually called Tanner, Colin Salmon is the best Tanner by far.

Yeah. Also in Tomorrow Never Dies he seems genuinely concerned and on the edge of his seat when our man gets into a spot of bother at the arms bazaar. When he says "Get out of it James" under his breath you get the feeling that these guys are good mates.

• edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I was never really bothered about any of the Tanner's. Each actor played the part well but the character was/is mainly there to assist the plot and little else. He was secondary. I suppose Kinnear gets given more to do but not that much more.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 14,838
    Not sure how controversial this is but Kinnear seems to get lots of praise so I'm sure some people will disagree: Even though his character wasn't actually called Tanner, Colin Salmon is the best Tanner by far.

Because Tanner should be able to fight?
    chrisisall wrote:
    Sorry, I just... wow.

Exactly. If there's an objectively dreadful Bond film, DAD is undeniably it. In fact, I've got a Super Bowl bet on--if my team wins, my opponent will be forced to watch DAD. She has no idea what she's in for.

So, what did you have to do now you lost?

SaintMark wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Sorry, I just... wow.

Good thing he lost too.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Ludovico wrote:

Well he shouldn't be as a good a fighter as Bond but I'm pretty sure he was ex military in the Fleming books, and he definitely shouldn't cower behind a desk when his boss is being shot at. He should be brave. Robinson got shot pretty quickly in DAD but at least he tried to help and showed some courage.

Definitely on the same page. While I did like Kitchen's Tanner and loved how they both were in TWINE, I always felt Robinson was just eons cooler, ESPECIALLY cooler than Kinnear's, who over two films I haven't found the ability to care about. Robinson also more accurately represents Fleming's Tanner--ex mil. and a close friend of Bond's.

However, I'm pretty certain that Tanner and Robinson have different jobs. In TND, you see Robinson giving Bond his orders directly in the beginning, he gets Bond the helicopter and flies with him to Elektra's pipeline in TWINE, and he is with M in Korea for DAD, while Tanner usually remains in London and holds more of a bureaucratic role. I always thought Robinson was more of a "Director of Field Operations" or something like that, as he seems to have more of a direct role in the agent's missions.
    Either way, I think it's safe to say that Tanner hasn't been as impressive as a member of MI6 staff as Robinson has.

On another note, I've watched QoS 6 times over the past 4 days; the film is really growing on me more so than before and is fast becoming a favourite.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Well said and I thoroughly agree, especially with the examples.
    Ludovico wrote:

Well he shouldn't be as a good a fighter as Bond but I'm pretty sure he was ex military in the Fleming books, and he definitely shouldn't cower behind a desk when his boss is being shot at. He should be brave. Robinson got shot pretty quickly in DAD but at least he tried to help and showed some courage.

I need to rewatch SF, but I thought Tanner tried to lead M to safety. Regardless of his ex military training, I had more issues about Moneypenny fighting than him not. Regarding DAD, as it was virtual reality, not certain if it counts. But I liked Robinson, ironically he was more developed than Tanner.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Sorry, I just... wow.

I've got a date with The Fabulous Baker Boys.
  • doubleoego wrote:
    Either way, I think it's safe to say that Tanner hasn't been as impressive as a member of MI6 staff as Robinson has.

On another note, I've watched QoS 6 times over the past 4 days; the film is really growing on me more so than before and is fast becoming a favourite.

Six times in four days? Isn't that a bit...ahem...obsessive?

I am in the QOS is better than SF camp.
    doubleoego wrote:

Six times in four days? Isn't that a bit...ahem...obsessive?

at least its growing on him. Would be worrying if it was getting worse and worse and he'd still watch it.