Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    For me, Harris' reveal as MP was fine and I'm happy with it even though it lasted about 15 seconds but to truly decipher her merit as MP Bond 24 is where we'll see if she's good or not.
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    Looking back on Bond reviews I wrote running up to SKYFALL, here's some more controversial opinions:

-Everything that the general public loved about Craig's Bond was pioneered by George Lazenby. Not just the emotional bits, either.
    -For all it's spectacle and glamour, it's sex appeal and action, THUNDERBALL cannot rise above how boring it is.
    -FOR YOUR EYES ONLY is not only Roger Moore's best Bond film, it's better than either of Dalton's efforts as well.
    -NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN's Largo is better than the official one.
    -Dominic Greene is massively underrated as a villain.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Tubes wrote:
    -FOR YOUR EYES ONLY is not only Roger Moore's best Bond film, it's better than either of Dalton's efforts as well.

the special Hell.... :-L
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I like Samantha Bond. That's certainly controversial around here.

Depends in which movie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote:
    Tubes wrote:

I am in that hell, too. I agree with the Tubes.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Tubes wrote:

I would agree to that assesment as well, And hell is other people. ;)

This makes me 8-|
    Denise Richards is at the very least the hottest bond girl during the Brosnan era!
    edited January 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Some sense at last.
  • There are no bad James Bond films. Some are better than others, but they are all watchable and a lot of fun. Even the weakest ones are at least 3/5 stars.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 316
    There are no bad James Bond films. Some are better than others, but they are all watchable and a lot of fun. Even the weakest ones are at least 3/5 stars.

Were it not for TMWTGG, I'd be inclined to agree. DAD and the like are certainly watchable for me, but I wouldn't go so far as to say 3/5. Maybe 2.5 if I'm being generous. However, I just think TMWTGG is absolute crap. I say with 500% honesty it's one of my least favorite films of all time. Even more so than a favorite, I think every Bond fan has that one film that they hate and always will hate. Mine is TMWTGG.
  • There are no bad James Bond films. Some are better than others, but they are all watchable and a lot of fun. Even the weakest ones are at least 3/5 stars.

That's a nice sentiment, but I'm afraid I cannot agree. To me, DAD is borderline unwatchable. So much so that I threw my copy in the dumpster. It's the only Bond film I do not own.

There are no bad James Bond films. Some are better than others, but they are all watchable and a lot of fun. Even the weakest ones are at least 3/5 stars.

That's a nice sentiment, but I'm afraid I cannot agree. To me, DAD is borderline unwatchable. So much so that I threw my copy in the dumpster. It's the only Bond film I do not own.

As much as we all love James Bond, you'd have to be blinded by emotion to not actually realise that some entries are absolutely dire. DAD scoring 3/5? Don't make me bloody laugh.

As much as we all love James Bond, you'd have to be blinded by emotion to not actually realise that some entries are absolutely dire. DAD scoring 3/5? Don't make me bloody laugh.

It's the Plan 9 from Outer Space of the Bond world.

I share that sentiment with QoB which makes DAD look fun. O:-)

edited February 2014 Posts: 17,687
    MR is my only 'hated' film. It stems from my 1979 viewing when my then 19 year old self had HAD it with foolishness in Bond movies, much as younger members here had a revulsion to DAD it seems.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 381
    I will never understand why people hate and single-out DAD. Yes, that Madonna song is just awful, but besides that, the film is of the same quality as the other three Brosnan-era films.
  • I will never understand why people hate and single-out DAD. Yes, that Madonna song is just awful, but besides that, the film is of the same quality as the other three Brosnan-era films.

Are you giving DAD a horribly undeserved comment or GE a horribly undeserved insult?
  • I think that they are about the same quality. I enjoy them both, although if I had to pick I'd go with GE.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,687
    I think that they are about the same quality.
    Does the word 'insanity' mean to you what it means to the general population?
    :))
    Sorry, I just... wow.
    I like DAD myself, but to compare it favourably to anything but DAF or MR is just... kinda crazy to me...
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Skyfall should have been Brosnan's last film instead of DAD and then Fiennes should have started as M with CR.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    @thelivingroyale, anytime you present an alternative to DAD not happening I don't consider it controversial in the slightest. Seriously though, that's an interesting idea and would have been a much better end to Brosnan's tenure.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I just think SF fits Brosnan perfectly and I always thought it was weird how Dench stayed on after the reboot anyway. There would have to be some changes though.

For one thing, if CR is staying as a reboot/origin story then Mallory would have to be played by someone else, since in this scenario Fiennes is M for all of Craig's films. Also Eve wouldn't be Moneypenny. Other than that though I think it'd work very well.
  • Not sure how "controversial" this is, but I really liked Robert Brown as M. He wasn't in most of the huge films so most don't think of him when they think of M, but he did fine job, IMHO.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'm sure many will agree that one of his scene highlights was revoking Bond's licence to kill.
    All four Ms have been great. Lee, Brown, Dench and Fiennes are all brilliant.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Agree. There's definitely a consistency in quality, unlike some of the other recurring characters such as Moneypenny and Felix.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    I think that they are about the same quality.
    Does the word 'insanity' mean to you what it means to the general population?
    :))
    Sorry, I just... wow.

Exactly. If there's an objectively dreadful Bond film, DAD is undeniably it. In fact, I've got a Super Bowl bet on--if my team wins, my opponent will be forced to watch DAD. She has no idea what she's in for.

:-j
  • I find Dr No and Thunderball boring. I absolutely adore Moonraker and quite actually like Madonna's song for Die Another Day although my opinion on the actual film is fairly traditional.
    ChickenStu wrote:
    I find Dr No and Thunderball boring. I absolutely adore Moonraker and quite actually like Madonna's song for Die Another Day although my opinion on the actual film is fairly traditional.

Always good to see some love for MR.

I'm not overly adverse to Madonna's DAD and in fact I'll take it over the tripe of TND, AWTD and TMWTGG all day long.