The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Still well and truly pumped up for this, still think BB & DK stand up incredibly well and I can't see Chris letting us down, I have just read the Empire article and it says this kind of thing production wise, 11,000 extra's and epic sets etc has not been seen since the day of silent films. Nolan's choice not to fall on C.G.I to create his films is so refreshing and I am well and truly anticipating this epic more than any film this year despite a certain spy film snapping at it's heels.

I've not seen Avengers, decided that Marvel had enough of my money having seen all their entries apart from the appalling Captain America on the big screen and felt with the exception of the first Iron Man that they were rather disappointing that relied on too much C.G.I. I know it seems ironic the one film of the franchise I never bothered with at the cinema is likely the best but the trailer didn't excite one bit just looked like all the others loads of effects with little plot. I will no doubt catch it on the small screen at some point but Marvel just doesn't excite me like Nolan's Bat films do.
    What was so wrong with Captain America? :-w

It was boring, rambling and incoherent, it was the most blatant example of being a trailer for The Avengers more than any other Marvel film to date, Evans was fine as Cap but the execution was terrible and Joe Johnson is a bloody awful director, see JP3 and especially Wolfman for evidence.

None of the Marvel films I've seen can hold a candle to Nolan's Bat films.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 5,767
    Shardlake wrote:

It was boring, rambling and incoherent, it was the most blatant example of being a trailer for The Avengers more than any other Marvel film to date, Evans was fine as Cap but the execution was terrible and Joe Johnson is a bloody awful director, see JP3 and especially Wolfman for evidence.
    I agree, except for Evans. He was fine, yes, but I would have prefered a more John Wayne-like face. An underwear model as kind of military leader is a bit awkward.
    Shardlake wrote:
    I find them hard to compare. Nolan is the only one who took comic book characters and created an original world with them that is more or less parallel to the world we live in. I try to be careful with the term realism, but if anyone deserves it, it´s Nolan. There is no other comic book adaption that even tries to come close to this kind of atmosphere.
    I´m more on the side of dislike for comics, but I love BB and TDK.

boldfinger wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:

I agree, except for Evans. He was fine, yes, but I would have prefered a more John Wayne-like face. An underwear model as kind of military leader is a bit awkward.
    Shardlake wrote:
    I find them hard to compare. Nolan is the only one who took comic book characters and created an original world with them that is more or less parallel to the world we live in. I try to be careful with the term realism, but if anyone deserves it, it´s Nolan. There is no other comic book adaption that even tries to come close to this kind of atmosphere.

I'm not really a comic book fan myself and just enjoy a handful of the films from the genre, Nolan's film's as you said just stand out from the rest, as to Evans I see your point but considering how awful the film was it doesn't really matter to me because I won't be investing in any more Marvel films again unless they up their game.

It's likely Avengers will be the biggest of the year but DKR & Skyfall are much more exciting proposition when it comes to blockbusters in 2012.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Shardlake wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:

Shardlake wrote:

I'm not really a comic book fan myself and just enjoy a handful of the films from the genre, Nolan's film's as you said just stand out from the rest, as to Evans I see your point but considering how awful the film was it doesn't really matter to me because I won't be investing in any more Marvel films again unless they up their game.

It's likely Avengers will be the biggest of the year but DKR & Skyfall are much more exciting proposition when it comes to blockbusters in 2012.

TDKR is too deep to be simply a "blockbuster".
    boldfinger wrote:

Great to hear! I'd watch a four hour Nolan Batman.
    When I hear how long this movie is, it gives me hope that they are going to attempt to tell the whole story of how Bats breaks his back, recovers, and returns!!!
    Shardlake wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:

Shardlake wrote:

TDKR is too deep to be simply a "blockbuster".
    boldfinger wrote:

Great to hear! I'd watch a four hour Nolan Batman.

I agree it is but it doesn't take it away from the fact it's a blockbuster, huge budget, all star cast and huge audience anticipation, probably the most anticipated film of the year, that makes it a blockbuster in my book, one with depth but a blockbuster nonetheless.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Whatever we call it now, @Shardlake, by the time July 20th rolls around we'll have a new name for it: Masterpiece.
    Whatever we call it now, @Shardlake, by the time July 20th rolls around we'll have a new name for it: Masterpiece.

I do hope so, I'm not one of those that who has changed my mind about DK, my opinion is as when I first saw it, the finest blockbuster ( with brains ) of the last 10 years or more. I've heard quite a few say that they see DKR not matching up but I've a feeling it's going to surprise, maybe he did save the best to last.

• edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I actually prefer Batman Begins to The Dark Knight. Aside from Ledger I don't see anything The Dark Knight did better. It was good but I prefer Begins. More exciting imo.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,692
    I actually prefer Batman Begins to The Dark Knight. Aside from Ledger I don't see anything The Dark Knight did better. It was good but I prefer Begins. More exciting imo.

I like both films about the same. I was amazed at BB when I saw it in theaters with friends back in '05.... and I was also amazed, maybe even a bit more, with TDK.

edited June 2012 Posts: 4,043
    I prefer a deeper film and I loved BB when I first saw, one of those to catch on the big screen, most I know saw it on DVD first.

Although once I'd seen TDK Nolan had taken it to another level, BB is more of a traditional comic book approach, I actually preferred the first half before it became more traditionally a comic book film, the origin 1st hour was far more compelling. TDK is a crime epic more like a Mann film, I personally prefer that.
  • RC7RC7
    Did anyone get BFI IMAX tickets? I waited up until 1 and the servers seemed to be crashing. Fell asleep and woke up at 3 to find pretty much all of the good seats gone for the Friday. Managed to get Sat night, can't complain I guess as it seems impossible to access tickets again this morning. Never known it like this before, I've booked a lot in the past and not experienced this in quite the same way.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837

I like both films about the same. I was amazed at BB when I saw it in theaters with friends back in '05.... and I was also amazed, maybe even a bit more, with TDK.

Don't get me wrong, TDK was amazing and moving, a really great film. But BB just excited me more. I find it a more enjoyable film. I'm hoping that TDKR will soon be my favourite.
    One thing I don't get... If Batman has been gone for so long, Wayne would've been gone too, right? So would somebody not have put two and two together?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelivingroyale, perhaps. Maybe the people of Gotham City just doesn't expect a playboy billionaire to be behind the legend that is Batman, or nobody has put two and two together...or, maybe someone did, and his identity is known to others in the film.

That, or perhaps Wayne put up a fantastic cover story, somehow.
    The thought of a guy like Wayne being Batman has to be for Gotham citizens like the thought of Paris Hilton being Batman would be to us- NO-EFFING-WAY. On the surface, Wayne is a guy who's super rich and famous for doing absolutely nothing.

I've been trying to avoid spoilers for the most part, but I seem to remember something about Bane taking lots of Gotham's most powerful people and holding them captive?
    Or if not, in the comics, whenever Batman got injured badly, they would always come up with some sort of story involving Wayne 'wrecking his car' or something similar.

We shall see- I can't wait for this damn movie to come out!!!
    @Master_Dahark, I'm just going to drive to the cinema right now and demand they show it to me.

"But sir, the film won't be out for a little over a month!"
    "Don't care! Get my ass in a seat and turn it on."
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited June 2012 Posts: 11,139
    boldfinger wrote:

The Avengers shows that if done right, the characters don´t need introductory films. Problem is, there´s not many directors around like Joss Whedon.

Eh? How did you come to such an assumption? The Avengers showed that these characters DO need their own introductory movies prior to an ensemble movie. Every major character appeared in a movie prior to the Avengers to varying degrees and the overall quality of the prior movies still doesn't dismiss the importance and the validity of introductory movies and this is precisely one of the reasons why the film was such a massive success because there was already a ore-established level of understanding of who these characters were and where they came from and so the ensemble movie allowed for the film to get on with a story who's seeds had already been set in prior.

If the JLA movie try this without the necessary planning and establishment of their core characters the film will be a mess and let's be honest here, how many worthy DC film are there, superman 1 and 2 (horrendously dated), batman, batman returns and the Nolan trilogy thus far. These are the best DC have to offer, spanning over 30 years?? And you think DC can just jump straight into a JLA movie?? Hmm, I think you need to think about this a little more. A lot of hard work and preparation went into planning the Avengers movie and it'd be unwise to dismiss that and shoot an ensemble cast of superheroes without introductory movies first.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 4,813
    I would see a stand-alone Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash movie without hesitation. I never really followed Green Lantern but at least he has a recent movie. Everyone else on the whole Justice League I don't really give a damn about
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yeah, the core characters would do well to have their own stand alone movies. Hawkeye and Black Widow featured in Iron Man 2 and Thor respectively but their roles were minimalist.
  • Anyone see the new trailer during the England match?
    New trailer? We got the last one a few weeks ago, didn't we?
    Anyone see the new trailer during the England match?

I saw it yeah but there was barely anything (was there even anything?) we hadn't already seen in the other trailers.

New TV spot and soundtrack listing:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=91376
    I almost saw the soundtrack titles and closed the link. I will go into it with a fresh, clueless mind.
    I almost saw the soundtrack titles and closed the link. I will go into it with a fresh, clueless mind.

I would have added a spoiler warning, but I didn't want to check the link. Trying to steer clear of all things TDKR until release. I saw a trailer a while back, and that was it, so all of the material should be fairly fresh to me.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:

I would have added a spoiler warning, but I didn't want to check the link. Trying to steer clear of all things TDKR until release. I saw a trailer a while back, and that was it, so all of the material should be fairly fresh to me.

Same here. This film will emotionally violate me. And I will let it.