X-Men (2000 - 20)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    All films take place in an alternate universe. Still looking forward to seeing it.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 4,813
    I went back and re-watched the X-Men trilogy after seeing Days of Future Past. I have to say, after not seeing them for at least five or six years, they all hold up very well! Even X3 isn't a total waste. It's easily the worst of the trilogy though. But X2 is still my favorite and the first movie still kicks ass. That Hugh Jackman was a star from the minute he showed up on screen!

It is sort of funny seeing him shirtless in the first movie- he almost looks like an ordinary guy compared to Days of Future Past!
    Hard to believe he was only freaking 32 in the first one!!

before-and-after.jpg
    Just watched Days... was ok though can't help feeling disappointed. X2 and First class i enjoyed alot more, came out of cinema feeling deflated after that.
    Sandy wrote:
    I watched it on Monday and although I don't think it's a bad film, I didn't like it much. My biggest complaint is that I don't think it really fits with the rest of the films, like it took place within an alternative universe!? It had great moments but it lacked punch and consistency in my opinion.

This is it. It takes quite a bit of getting used to.
    This film only has continuity with, X-Men:First Class. It wipes out everthing else that has followed from 1973 onward, in other words the other 5 films which all operate in an alternative universe now.
    Question I have to anyone. When was DOFP actually set in the future, before the time-travel. Reason I ask is that the other films continuity can still continue up until this date, if they wanted to create stories beyond the last two Wolverine films in the original movie continuity. Correct? Anyone?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    timmer wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    I watched it on Monday and although I don't think it's a bad film, I didn't like it much. My biggest complaint is that I don't think it really fits with the rest of the films, like it took place within an alternative universe!? It had great moments but it lacked punch and consistency in my opinion.

This is it. It takes quite a bit of getting used to.
    This film only has continuity with, X-Men:First Class. It wipes out everthing else that has followed from 1973 onward, in other words the other 5 films which all operate in an alternative universe now.
    Question I have to anyone. When was DOFP actually set in the future, before the time-travel. Reason I ask is that the other films continuity can still continue up until this date, if they wanted to create stories beyond the last two Wolverine films in the original movie continuity. Correct? Anyone?

Sorry, I didn't understand your question. Didn't you answer it already?
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    He's asking if
    stories can still take place in the Days of Future Past universe as well as the alternate one.

In theory, yes, but almost never in practice when it comes to movies. The Star Trek reboot is a good example, as the "Prime" universe is now the default main continuity.

Anyone interested in box office tracking compared to the previous films?
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 5,767
    That Hugh Jackman was a star from the minute he showed up on screen!

It is sort of funny seeing him shirtless in the first movie- he almost looks like an ordinary guy compared to Days of Future Past!

before-and-after.jpg
    I agree that Jackman owned the screen from the first moment on. He should have stayed with the hairdo on that left foto though IMO. Even though it isn´t anywhere near the look he has in the comic books, it looks much better than the stylised ones he had in the actual films.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I went to see the film a third time. I like it that much. It's such a great superhero flick IMO. :-)
    Tubes wrote:
    He's asking if
    stories can still take place in the Days of Future Past universe as well as the alternate one.

In theory, yes, but almost never in practice when it comes to movies. The Star Trek reboot is a good example, as the "Prime" universe is now the default main continuity.

Since Jean Grey showed up in the end, I'd assume the entire Phoenix reborn story never took place.

I went back and re-watched the X-Men trilogy after seeing Days of Future Past. I have to say, after not seeing them for at least five or six years, they all hold up very well! Even X3 isn't a total waste. It's easily the worst of the trilogy though. But X2 is still my favorite and the first movie still kicks ass. That Hugh Jackman was a star from the minute he showed up on screen!

before-and-after.jpg

:O Wow! It's like looking in the mirror!!!! ;)
    Think every other film other than First Class never happened, or at least did not happen in the same way. In one scene a certain character has fore knowledge of everything. That said character can anticipate everything that may occur. On that basis change how they act toward other characters,
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Sandy wrote:
    Tubes wrote:
    He's asking if

Since Jean Grey showed up in the end, I'd assume the entire Phoenix reborn story never took place.
    @tubes basically answered the question - that going forward we could still have stories from both timelines theoretically. However he's saying that the DOFP timeline will now likely be the one that the moviemakers will want to work with. The old timeline concludes with "The Wolverine" movie released last year.
    What I was wondering, did anyone catch the calander year that the big futuristic battle, that was about to wipe out the X-Men, took place in?
    If its far enough in the future, there is still wiggle room for the series to do stories between "The Wolverine" 2013, and the future battle date.......... but if I catch @tubes drift, the filmmakers are more likely to work with the new timeline created by DOFP.
    What I could see happening, in order to exploit the younger cast, is more post 1973 stuff, with flashforwards to the present day too, thus keeping everyone involved.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,432
    timmer wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    Tubes wrote:
    He's asking if

@tubes basically answered the question - that going forward we could still have stories from both timelines theoretically. However he's saying that the DOFP timeline will now likely be the one that the moviemakers will want to work with. The old timeline concludes with "The Wolverine" movie released last year.
    What I was wondering, did anyone catch the calander year that the big futuristic battle, that was about to wipe out the X-Men, took place in?
    If its far enough in the future, there is still wiggle room for the series to do stories between "The Wolverine" 2013, and the future battle date.......... but if I catch @tubes drift, the filmmakers are more likely to work with the new timeline created by DOFP.
    What I could see happening, in order to exploit the younger cast, is more post 1973 stuff, with flashforwards to the present day too, thus keeping everyone involved.

I concor regarding the Phoenix, we may get a better interpretation. Phoenix saga deserves better than Last Stand.
    Does anyone know if Hugh Jackman will reprise his role in Apocalypse? I know there was some doubt he wouldn't.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    fjdinardo wrote:
    Does anyone know if Hugh Jackman will reprise his role in Apocalypse? I know there was some doubt he wouldn't.

Yes, I believe he's been confirmed for 'Apocalypse.'
    Hugh Jackman, i hope when i am his age i am in that shape, kudos! He threatened to leave the franchise, though days... from what i have read reinvigourated his interest. He will prob make another four movies in the Xmen universe.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    fjdinardo wrote:

Good Good. I would love it if they brought back Famke Janssen to play Jean Grey again.
    fjdinardo wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    fjdinardo wrote:

Good Good. I would love it if they brought back Famke Janssen to play Jean Grey again.
    Considering she was Jean Grey again at the end of DOFP I would guess she will come back for Apocalypse.
    timmer wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    Tubes wrote:
    He's asking if

I concor regarding the Phoenix, we may get a better interpretation. Phoenix saga deserves better than Last Stand.

The Phoenix saga is the reason I became a fan of X-Men when I was a child (with the animated series) and I hate the fact that it was never fully explored.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 1,817
    Saw it for the second time and it just gets better and better. I'm close to include it on my top 10 favorite movies. Perfect combination of action, story and social issues.
    A random note: I loved Blink, the character, her power and her looks!
    The only thing I don't like is that
    some things remain unresolved. How's the future post-1973 in the new timeline? Is Wolverine getting the adamantium? What's with Mystique being Stryker? Will Wolverine remember the time travel and the future?

And by the way,
    who had guessed JFK was killed for being a mutant?

My X-Men movies ranking:
    7. The Last Stand
    6. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    5. X-Men
    4. The Wolverine
    3. X2
    2. First Class
    1. Days of Future Past
    Sandy wrote:
    fjdinardo wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    fjdinardo wrote:

Considering she was Jean Grey again at the end of DOFP I would guess she will come back for Apocalypse.
    timmer wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    Tubes wrote:
    He's asking if

The Phoenix saga is the reason I became a fan of X-Men when I was a child (with the animated series) and I hate the fact that it was never fully explored.

Was considering buying the animated series box set, though quite expensive. Watched the series myself, was my first introduction to Xmen.
    0013 wrote:
    And by the way,
    who had guessed JFK was killed for being a mutant?
    I didn't guess they would say he was killed for being a mutant, but I knew he was a mutant, although in the not sci-fi sense of the word. It's Endocrinology textbook stuff. JFK had Addison's disease, along with other members of his family, so it was probably caused by a mutation. That's what caused his permanently bronzed complexion by the way.

@fire_and_ice the animated series waere also my first introcution to X-men, they were amazing weren't they?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I saw this film recently and really enjoyed it, though would rank it third in the series if I was being honest. Not quite as good as it was made out to be in my opinion.
    I thought the performances were really good, the actors got me hooked to the screen all the time.
    I got a bit bored with the superpowers though. Time for me to have a Marvel break perhaps. At least until Guardians of the Galaxy ;-).
    Some of the actors were shockingly underused. Lucas Till for instance stuck out already in 1st Class, and here he looks even more as if he would have a prominent part in the further development of the story, only to be dropped after a few seconds screentime. One can only hope that such talent is put to good use in the future.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That little snippet at the end made me really look forward to Apocalypse. I want to see it Now.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I saw this film recently and really enjoyed it, though would rank it third in the series if I was being honest. Not quite as good as it was made out to be in my opinion.

I agree think First Class and X2 were better films.

@ Sandy from what i remember they were one of best animated series, think i will buy the box set certainly for the Phoenix arc.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I was worried when I saw how positive the reviews were because I seriously doubted that any movie could live up to them. Forunately, I was wrong. I need to see it again!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Bryan Singer teases 'X-Men: Apocalypse' intro with a snippet of the script:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=120088
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    0013 wrote: »
    My X-Men movies ranking:
    7. The Last Stand
    6. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    5. X-Men
    4. The Wolverine
    3. X2
    2. First Class
    1. Days of Future Past

Mine is quite different...

1. X2 *****
    2. Day Of Future Past *****
    3. X-Men ****1/2
    4. Last Stand ****
    5. First Class ****
    6. Wolverine ****
    7. Origins ***

OFFICIAL: Meet the New X-MEN: APOCALYPSE Cast Members For 'Storm', 'Jean Grey' And Cyclops'
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=114073
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,444
    xmencast_article.jpg?1421979041

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/35523/-x-men-apocalypse-casts-its-young-mutants
    "X-Men: Apocalypse" Casts Its Young Mutants

By Garth Franklin Thursday January 22nd 2015 06:10PM
    "X-Men: Apocalypse" Casts Its Young Mutants

Filmmaker Bryan Singer has used Twitter to break the news about the casting of three younger versions of existing "X-Men" characters in the upcoming "X-Men: Apocalypse".

Alexandra Shipp ("House of Anubis," "Aaliyah: Princess of R&B") will play Storm. Sophie Turner, best known for her work as Sansa Stark in HBO's "Game of Thrones," will play Jean Grey. Finally, "Mud" and "Tree of Life" actor Tye Sheridan will play Cyclops.

The announcement follows weeks of speculation about the various actors up for these roles in the 1980s-set project, these actors taking over for the likes of Halle Berry, Famke Janssen and James Marsden who played the parts in the original trilogy of "X-Men" films along with last year's "X-Men: Days of Future Past".

So there casting the people i like to see there choose/expect:
    Cyclops: Tye Sheridan (2th choose: Jamie Blackley) Look like the moost on the younger version of James Marsden, the original/older Cyclops.

Storm: Alexandra Shipp. If for later movie there need a younger actres, mabey there should consider Amandla Stenberg (Playing the police agent daughter in Sleepy Hollow/ young version of Cataleya in Colombiana.)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3964350/

Jean Grey: Sophie Turner. The other girl is Blond, Jean Grey should be somebody with red or black/brown hear, look more adult and she match better with the proffesor/Wolverine. When i see Rose Byrne in First Class, i first thaught she play a younger version of Jean Grey, what shame. Consider; Vanessa Marano http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1404825/ http://www.hawtcelebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/vanessa-marano-at -elie-tahari-presentation-in-new-york_2.jpg