Chat Thread - Free Discussion

1156157158160162

Comments

  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Posts: 1,053
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    A survey of 2,000 Americans deems the Indiana Jones trilogy as the greatest trilogy ever, with the second and third being the Jurassic Park and The Godfather trilogies, respectively:

    https://nypost.com/2018/09/20/indiana-jones-named-greatest-movie-trilogy-of-all-time/

    Do you agree or disagree?

    Disagree by default.

    WRT Indiana Jones. I've only seen the first two.
    The Godfather. IMO films two and three were crap.
    I've never seen Jurassic Park so can't comment.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Posts: 1,053
    Having returned to the MI6 community after several years I'm slowly working my way through some of the topics. I get the impression that the forum isn't as active as it was when I left? Is that correct?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 12,491
    stag wrote: »
    Having returned to the MI6 community after several years I'm slowly working my way through some of the topics. I get the impression that the forum isn't as active as it was when I left? Is that correct?
    @stag I remember you mate, welcome back. Hope you've been doing well. It is a little quiet here, post-NTTD. Talk of the latest film has died down. I seem to remember this happened with SP around the same time of year. On a personal level I'm finding the forum is most active while I'm at work (I'm pretty much opposite side of the world to the UK), which can be a little frustrating, not being able to chime in with more detailed comments until hours after discussion has ended. What is noticeable lately is there's not a lot of activity here regarding group watch-alongs or members creating fan art.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Posts: 405
    stag wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    A survey of 2,000 Americans deems the Indiana Jones trilogy as the greatest trilogy ever, with the second and third being the Jurassic Park and The Godfather trilogies, respectively:

    https://nypost.com/2018/09/20/indiana-jones-named-greatest-movie-trilogy-of-all-time/

    Do you agree or disagree?

    Disagree by default.

    WRT Indiana Jones. I've only seen the first two.
    The Godfather. IMO films two and three were crap.
    I've never seen Jurassic Park so can't comment.
    The Godfather Part II crap? I feel hurt.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Mitchell
    Posts: 5,767
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    A survey of 2,000 Americans deems the Indiana Jones trilogy as the greatest trilogy ever, with the second and third being the Jurassic Park and The Godfather trilogies, respectively:

    https://nypost.com/2018/09/20/indiana-jones-named-greatest-movie-trilogy-of-all-time/

    Do you agree or disagree?

    Disagree by default.
    Same here. My favorite trilogy is still the James Bond films.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,800
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    A survey of 2,000 Americans deems the Indiana Jones trilogy as the greatest trilogy ever, with the second and third being the Jurassic Park and The Godfather trilogies, respectively:

    https://nypost.com/2018/09/20/indiana-jones-named-greatest-movie-trilogy-of-all-time/

    Do you agree or disagree?

    Disagree by default.
    Same here. My favorite trilogy is still the James Bond films.

    Outside of Bond I'd say my favourite trilogy is the three 1960s Harry Palmer films. Some of the best spy films ever made.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Mitchell
    Posts: 5,767
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    A survey of 2,000 Americans deems the Indiana Jones trilogy as the greatest trilogy ever, with the second and third being the Jurassic Park and The Godfather trilogies, respectively:

    https://nypost.com/2018/09/20/indiana-jones-named-greatest-movie-trilogy-of-all-time/

    Do you agree or disagree?

    Disagree by default.
    Same here. My favorite trilogy is still the James Bond films.

    Outside of Bond I'd say my favourite trilogy is the three 1960s Harry Palmer films. Some of the best spy films ever made.
    Oh, yes, those are good. I particularly need to revisit Funeral in Berlin.

    Have you seen the 90s ones? I know they're not highly regarded but I'm still interested.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 3 Posts: 15,800
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    A survey of 2,000 Americans deems the Indiana Jones trilogy as the greatest trilogy ever, with the second and third being the Jurassic Park and The Godfather trilogies, respectively:

    https://nypost.com/2018/09/20/indiana-jones-named-greatest-movie-trilogy-of-all-time/

    Do you agree or disagree?

    Disagree by default.
    Same here. My favorite trilogy is still the James Bond films.

    Outside of Bond I'd say my favourite trilogy is the three 1960s Harry Palmer films. Some of the best spy films ever made.
    Oh, yes, those are good. I particularly need to revisit Funeral in Berlin.

    Have you seen the 90s ones? I know they're not highly regarded but I'm still interested.

    Yes, I managed to tape them off the TV years ago. It's been a long time since I saw them but I remember thinking that they weren't very good at all and Palmer almost seemed to be another character. I've heard that they were quickly filmed back to back and it shows. Wouldn't mind tracking them down on DVD (if they're commercially available) to give them another watch.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Posts: 1,053
    QBranch wrote: »
    stag wrote: »
    Having returned to the MI6 community after several years I'm slowly working my way through some of the topics. I get the impression that the forum isn't as active as it was when I left? Is that correct?
    @stag I remember you mate, welcome back. Hope you've been doing well. It is a little quiet here, post-NTTD. Talk of the latest film has died down. I seem to remember this happened with SP around the same time of year. On a personal level I'm finding the forum is most active while I'm at work (I'm pretty much opposite side of the world to the UK), which can be a little frustrating, not being able to chime in with more detailed comments until hours after discussion has ended. What is noticeable lately is there's not a lot of activity here regarding group watch-alongs or members creating fan art.

    Thanks QB. As I said it was just my initial impression.
  • stag wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    A survey of 2,000 Americans deems the Indiana Jones trilogy as the greatest trilogy ever, with the second and third being the Jurassic Park and The Godfather trilogies, respectively:

    https://nypost.com/2018/09/20/indiana-jones-named-greatest-movie-trilogy-of-all-time/

    Do you agree or disagree?

    Disagree by default.

    WRT Indiana Jones. I've only seen the first two.
    The Godfather. IMO films two and three were crap.
    I've never seen Jurassic Park so can't comment.

    Having never seen the Godfather films, if the second and third Godfather films are crap then I’d say this sampling of Americans has it right: Jurassic Park, The Lost World, and Jurassic Park III is the superior trilogy.

    I would say The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars (original), Alien, The Dark Knight, Back to the Future, Die Hard, and Romero’s Dead films are all more than reasonable candidates too. For my money, I’d say The Lord of the Rings is the most perfect movie trilogy.
  • MI6HQMI6HQ SIS Building, London, United Kingdom
    edited August 4 Posts: 1,254
    [DELETED]
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,865
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    edited August 4 Posts: 1,053
    Apart from the Godfather trilogy (which I can't really count as I never made it to the end of the last one) As far as I recall, the only series of films I've watched in their entirety are the Bond movies.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,865
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,865
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,865
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,865
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,865
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,865
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,865
  • MI6HQMI6HQ SIS Building, London, United Kingdom
    edited August 16 Posts: 1,254
    Is it me or Benedict Cumberbatch have some similarities to Roger Moore, I've watched the two Doctor Strange movies (the part 1 and the MoM), then I've watched some of Roger Moore's interviews, and the way he speaks, the way he acts in some parts reminded me of Benedict Cumberbatch.

    He also have or share the same style with Moore.

    The same when I've watched both Doctor Strange films, he reminds me of Roger Moore.

    They also share a bit of resemblance (not mostly though) but in some angles.

    I don't know, maybe it's just me.

    If there's an alternate cast for Doctor Strange, I would have cast Roger Moore as Dr. Stephen Strange immediately.

    So, if he's (Cumberbatch) cast as Bond, I know now what would be his portrayal of Bond and what would be the tone of his films.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,865
  • MI6HQMI6HQ SIS Building, London, United Kingdom
    edited August 18 Posts: 1,254
    We're talking about characters who very much resembles Bond (in style, tone, and attitude).

    Now what I liked to talk about was his opposite, do you have any characters in mind who very much opposites Bond?
    Almost a contradictory to all of Bond's attitudes, style or tone.

    Well, the answer of majority seems to be George Smiley as he's anti-Bond, but aside from him, do you guys have any characters in mind?
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Posts: 405
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    We're talking about characters who very much resembles Bond (in style, tone, and attitude).

    Now what I liked to talk about was his opposite, do you have any characters in mind who very much opposites Bond?
    Almost a contradictory to all of Bond's attitudes, style or tone.

    Well, the answer of majority seems to be George Smiley as he's anti-Bond, but aside from him, do you guys have any characters in mind?
    It's almost cheating since he's another Le Carre creation, but Alec Leamas.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,865
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,865
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,865
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Posts: 1,053
    I saw a TV antiques programme the other week where a chap brought a FRWL toy briefcase, made and sold during the film's original release. It was a really interesting item and featured all the gadgets contained in the film version (including 'tear gas' - talcum powder squirted out if you opened the case wrong) plus a pistol with silencer. I'd have loved to examine (play! with) it at close quarters. As I recall it fetched about £700.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Mitchell
    Posts: 5,767
    It's been fun to study my late father's unfinished book. I remember he expressed reservations about certain aspects of it, and I can see what he meant. I find the book's world-building is superb, but the story is too simple and uneventful, and the main character, while very charismatic, is too passive. I know exactly what to do about that. It could turn out to be a pretty cool book. For now I have made a ton of annotations on the last draft my father wrote.
Sign In or Register to comment.