Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited August 2022 Posts: 3,390
    Back to school again here in our country, and those children were having a face to face classes now, Police Officers were all around to ensure that they're following those safety protocols.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    What are your favorite Mr Bean sketches/scenes?

Mine are:
    - The calculus/trigonometry exam debacle
    - Attending church to annoy Richard Briers
    - Destroying the precious rare book at the library (bravo Bunky)
    - Dancing for money to give to the sax player outside the store
    - Unpleasant birthday meal at the restaurant
    - Swimming pool embarrassment
    - Eccentric sandwich-making at the park
    - Conflict with the launderette bully
    - Bean cheating his way through the hospital waiting room queue
    - Airport cops think Bean is carrying a gun
    - Bean drying his pants on the hand dryer in the bathroom
    - Bonus: CARSON CLAY PICTURES present CARSON CLAY in a CARSON CLAY production of a CARSON CLAY film
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I remember Bean losing his watch while cooking, and ended up getting his head stuck in the roast searching for it. Also, when he put a sliding bolt lock on his car door. I think he got dressed on his way to work while driving.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    mattjoes wrote: »
    It's been fun to study my late father's unfinished book. I remember he expressed reservations about certain aspects of it, and I can see what he meant. I find the book's world-building is superb, but the story is too simple and uneventful, and the main character, while very charismatic, is too passive. I know exactly what to do about that. It could turn out to be a pretty cool book. For now I have made a ton of annotations on the last draft my father wrote.

I say go ahead with your amendments then publish the book. Look on the project as a tribute to your father's work.

WRT films.

I'm guessing I'm the only one here who's never seen any of the 'Star Wars' movies?

There's loads of films which I hear people raving about that, for one reason or another, I've simply no interest in watching.

Conversely, I suppose the same can be said by others about the old movies I enjoy.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    stag wrote: »
    WRT films.

I'm guessing I'm the only one here who's never seen any of the 'Star Wars' movies?

There's loads of films which I hear people raving about that, for one reason or another, I've simply no interest in watching.

Conversely, I suppose the same can be said by others about the old movies I enjoy.

No, you're not alone. I've not seen any of them either, bar a bit from one that was on TV a few Christmases ago where they were fighting a giant worm thing in the desert. It's not really my cup of tea. Like yourself, I'm sure there are plenty of popular films I've never watched though I've seen plenty of obscure spy films to make up for it. :)
    TBF a couple of years ago I decided to sit down and watch the original Star Wars film just to make sure I wasn't missing something that I might actually enjoy. I lasted about twenty minutes before turning off.

I'm no fan of the Sci-Fi genre anyway so am aware that I carry my prejudices forward into any of those types of films/TV shows.

TBF a couple of years ago I decided to sit down and watch the original Star Wars film just to make sure I wasn't missing something that I might actually enjoy. I lasted about twenty minutes before turning off.

I'm no fan of the Sci-Fi genre anyway so am aware that I carry my prejudices forward into any of those types of films/TV shows.

Yes, I have my in-built prejudices against sci-fi and fantasy too and I think that colours my judgement on such films and TV series. I tend to prefer films and TV series that are grounded in some recognisable reality and where people don't have space age technology or special magical powers. There's too many films I want to see within the genres I do enjoy (spy and detective films) for me to waste time on anything else.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I remember Bean losing his watch while cooking, and ended up getting his head stuck in the roast searching for it. Also, when he put a sliding bolt lock on his car door. I think he got dressed on his way to work while driving.
    Ah, yes, those bits are fun, too.

mattjoes wrote: »
    It's been fun to study my late father's unfinished book. I remember he expressed reservations about certain aspects of it, and I can see what he meant. I find the book's world-building is superb, but the story is too simple and uneventful, and the main character, while very charismatic, is too passive. I know exactly what to do about that. It could turn out to be a pretty cool book. For now I have made a ton of annotations on the last draft my father wrote.

I say go ahead with your amendments then publish the book. Look on the project as a tribute to your father's work.
    Thank you, I will do that.
    edited August 2022 Posts: 6,725
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yes, I have my in-built prejudices against sci-fi and fantasy too and I think that colours my judgement on such films and TV series. I tend to prefer films and TV series that are grounded in some recognisable reality and where people don't have space age technology or special magical powers. There's too many films I want to see within the genres I do enjoy (spy and detective films) for me to waste time on anything else.
    Interesting. I haven't given this much thought before, but I think I tend to enjoy either...
    a) Harder sci-fi
    b) Softer sci-fi, or fantasy, as long as they are not too fairytale-ish or comic-booky (too "Disney", perhaps), or if they contain a cynical, quirky, even snarky style and/or worldview

That's why I've enjoyed quite a bit films like 2OO1, 2O1O, Blade Runner, 12 Monkeys, Outland, the older Planet of the Apes movies, Soylent Green, Terminator, etc, which I think fit into (a). I've also enjoyed very much films like The Fifth Element, which I think fits into (b). I've also had fun with films like The Matrix, but not as much as the others I mentioned, because I feel The Matrix is more comic-booky. And despite enjoying them to some extent before, now I don't really care at all for the Star Wars movies. They weren't Disney when they started making them, but they are very fairytale-ish, and soft sci-fi. Worlds removed from something like Planet of the Apes.

lmao , great interview
    My thoughts are with Her Majesty at this time.

God bless you, ma'am.
    My thoughts are with Her Majesty at this time.

God bless you, ma'am.

Seconded. I hope she'll pull through this time of illness. She's a remarkable lady who has given sterling service to the nation for over 70 years.
    55 yrs ago : Batgirl arrives in Gotham City in season 3
    50 yrs ago : MASH , Streets of SF

R.f8557b7236aa27c8b9ad4f6ceb89b22b?rik=day8xMlqRsNmdA&riu=http%3a%2f%2faveragenobodies.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2014%2f05%2fsingin-dancin.gif&ehk=nKF3vo6tvbm9B8GzsY3Z%2fNupeMixYo5n5TcPg5Wo%2bU0%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

If only Felix had spinach available.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Didn't find a better thread (Octopussy-related?) to post this on, but German police raided the (holiday) home of Russian oligarch Alisher Usmanov at Rottach-Egern (on Lake Tegernsee, south of Munich) and found in a safe, among other things, four gadgets that appear to be Fabergé eggs. If they're genuine, nobody knows yet (well, at least not the authorities...). We'll see.

Usmanov's (or officially his sister's) EUR 500m+ yacht Dilbar was towed from the dry dock at Blohm & Voss at Hamburg to a berth in Bremen yesterday, since B & V needed the dock for better purposes. It is still impounded under EU rules due to Russia's war of aggression against Ukraine.