Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• edited April 2019 Posts: 6,742
    mattjoes wrote: »

Never seen this on before.

She's a tad too intense in her acting. Not bad, though I prefer Jill St. John. Assertive but not so much on edge.

It could be a matter of direction, though.

What's the name of the actor? He's quite good.

Definitely prefer the actress we got for the part! Always liked Jill St. John as Tiffany Case.
    The actor in the clip is Roger Green. Didn't know anything about him – or this screen test for that matter, before reading this:
    http://www.007magazine.co.uk/would_be_bond.htm

Yes, I really like Jill St. John in the role. She showed more charm than the lady in the screen test, I must say.

What do you think of Green? (Thanks for the link, by the way!)
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Found this going around
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,126
    Birdleson wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Found this going around

It's gone through here a couple of times. Great stuff.

@Birdleson yeah we need more trailers like this ;)
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,295

She's a tad too intense in her acting. Not bad, though I prefer Jill St. John. Assertive but not so much on edge.

Definitely prefer the actress we got for the part! Always liked Jill St. John as Tiffany Case.
    The actor in the clip is Roger Green. Didn't know anything about him – or this screen test for that matter, before reading this:

Yes, I really like Jill St. John in the role. She showed more charm than the lady in the screen test, I must say.

Yes, I've hard to imagine anyone but Jill St. John in the role really, but who knows, Imogen Hassall (the girl in the screen test) could probably have done a decent job with the right direction.

As for Green, he wasn't all bad. He could probably have delivered his lines a bit better, but he seemed to look the part – probably more than a few others we've heard considered before. I would be thrilled if more screen tests would become available.

Also, I found this comment from the interview really interesting. A little bit of insight into how Broccoli and Saltzman approached casting in those days. Looks like they weren't afraid of taking chances!
    I proceeded to try and impress him with my acting ability by embellishing my very small acting CV. I was well relieved when Broccoli said, “we are not so concerned with your acting ability, after all, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service made more money at the box office than any other film in 1970 – we are more interested in how athletic you are?”

Yes, I've hard to imagine anyone but Jill St. John in the role really, but who knows, Imogen Hassall (the girl in the screen test) could probably have done a decent job with the right direction.

As for Green, he wasn't all bad. He could probably have delivered his lines a bit better, but he seemed to look the part – probably more than a few others we've heard considered before. I would be thrilled if more screen tests would become available.

Also, I found this comment from the interview really interesting. A little bit of insight into how Broccoli and Saltzman approached casting in those days. Looks like they weren't afraid of taking chances!
    I proceeded to try and impress him with my acting ability by embellishing my very small acting CV. I was well relieved when Broccoli said, “we are not so concerned with your acting ability, after all, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service made more money at the box office than any other film in 1970 – we are more interested in how athletic you are?”

Yes, I find some of Green's line deliveries are a little tense, but I can see him improving. This is a screen test for an actor with very little experience, after all. I like how he delivers the "Tamara, Teresa... Tessa" (nice dialogue, by the way).

I agree, the producers' lack of interest in acting ability is interesting. Reminds me of Peter Hunt telling Lazenby he could turn him into Bond given how he managed to make a strong impression on the producers. As @bondjames says, Bond is about a certain innate attitude, presence and style. Without that in place, acting chops aren't going to be of much use.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,295

Yes, I find some of Green's line deliveries are a little tense, but I can see him improving. This is a screen test for an actor with very little experience, after all. I like how he delivers the "Tamara, Teresa... Tessa" (nice dialogue, by the way).

I agree, the producers' lack of interest in acting ability is interesting. Reminds me of Peter Hunt telling Lazenby he could turn him into Bond given how he managed to make a strong impression on the producers. As @bondjames says, Bond is about a certain innate attitude, presence and style. Without that in place, acting chops aren't going to be of much use.

For someone with few acting credits, he didn't do bad – and I like to add that I often find these screen tests to be a bit awkward as a whole (not just Bond screen tests!). They're just made for the producers/executives to get a sense of what an actor or actress is all about. It's a long way from the more elaborate production of the actual movie.

The name guessing bit was a nice bit of dialogue, but I can see why it didn't make it into the film. Maybe it's from an early draft?

Definitely agree about the importance of attitude, presence and style (which was probably the first thing on the producers mind when casting). I'll go as far as to say it's more important than the acting skills itself. Of course, if an actor has all these things in his locker, then that's fantastic – but you'll have to be a bit lucky to find that candidate. I wonder what Broccoli and Saltzman would have thought about Henry Cavill, had he been a candidate around 1970. He's labeled as "wooden" by many here on the forum, but he certainly has the style, looks and athleticism required for the part.

Writing this, I found myself thinking about a DAF starring Cavill and I would have no problems watching him against Charles Gray's Blofeld! :))
    You know the tiger rug Inosanto have in his chair in the movie Game of Death , that was a tiger who tried to play hardball with me one day , which is not a clever thing to do , lets put it like that.

-Chuck Norris

:D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I know people that have been killed for less fraud than 13k , I'm surprised that no one has bashed their heads in yet.......bunch of dillholes
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,347

Great find, thanks for sharing @Torgeirtrap !

Had never heard of Imogen Hassall before, she led quite a tragic life after reading up briefly on her. I wonder if she was also considered for Plenty O'Toole, whom seems would be a better character fit for her.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Holy cow you can now upload photos directly to MI6! Well, here’s my cat Puff.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    What happened to the light blue background of one's own postings? I can't see it today and find the usability somewhat worse.

Had never heard of Imogen Hassall before, she led quite a tragic life after reading up briefly on her. I wonder if she was also considered for Plenty O'Toole, whom seems would be a better character fit for her.

Until your post I hadn't made the connection that Imogen Hassall was the lady in the very first episode of The Persuaders!
    Tracy wrote: »

I know people that have been killed for less fraud than 13k , I'm surprised that no one has bashed their heads in yet.......bunch of dillholes

Never been an autograph collector myself. Wouldn't risk buying online either if I did collect.

Who knows, she might have been under consideration for both Tiffany Case and Plenty O'Toole. She looked like she could have been a good choice for both parts really.

Until your post I hadn't made the connection that Imogen Hassall was the lady in the very first episode of The Persuaders!

I hadn't made that connection either!
    We have something here that's called Santiago en 100 palabras, or Santiago in 100 words. It's a contest of short stories, no more than 100 words long, with an urban backdrop. I submitted some stories. The 100 best stories are published in a small book that's freely given out in public places. The 12 best stories are awarded prizes (money).

Let's see if something I wrote is selected. Fun little experience all the same.
    We have something here that's called Santiago en 100 palabras, or Santiago in 100 words. It's a contest of short stories, no more than 100 words long, with an urban backdrop. I submitted some stories. The 100 best stories are published in a small book that's freely given out in public places. The 12 best stories are awarded prizes (money).

Good luck! Tell us if you do.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    your comment
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    QBranch wrote: »
    your comment

Not your type?

Good luck! Tell us if you do.

Thank you. I will!
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    your comment
    Not your type?
    Hmmm. Interesting sequence of events here.

Thundy, how did you delete your post?
    your comment
    Not your type?
    Hmmm. Interesting sequence of events here.

Thundy, how did you delete your post?

Obviously by sending out telepathic commands to a mod.

Yo, command!
    My government categorically denies Thunderfinger's post was ever made.
    No comment.
    My government categorically denies Thunderfinger's post was ever made.

Governments change. The lies stay the same.
    Be glad those posts were removed. They were so horrible, your eyes would have bled had you seen them.
    Be glad those posts were removed. They were so horrible, your eyes would have bled had you seen them.

Weeping blood comes merely from a derangement of the tear duct, my dear General. Nothing sinister.

The eyes in my avatar are sinister, however, and they are looking at your face. $-)
    The eyes in my avatar are sinister, however, and they are looking at your face. $-)
    You're looking at my face like there's something on it, but neither Bérénice nor Naomie are wearing red lippy!
    edited April 2019 Posts: 17,816
    You're looking at my face like there's something on it, but neither Bérénice nor Naomie are wearing red lippy!

Maybe it was a frame-up job? Clever Q!

Oh, there's an explanation. It isn't a red dress that Bérénice is wearing, you know.

Kinky...
    Oh, there's an explanation. It isn't a red dress that Bérénice is wearing, you know.
    Kinky...
    It's painted on with lipstick? Nice. Bery nice.