Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    mattjoes wrote: »
    00Bailey2-threeByTwoSmallAt2X.jpg

"Daniel Craig, actor. He has suffered a serious injury in the middle of filming. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic actor. Daniel Craig will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster, more talented."

Other surgeon: “So basically Pierce Brosnan.”

=)) Brilliant, @BMW_with_missiles!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    "Daniel Craig, actor. He has suffered a serious injury in the middle of filming. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic actor. Daniel Craig will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster, more talented."
    ...Taller.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Unfortunately Mr Hinx had to get his head amputated, but it could always have been worse.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 1,640
    princess Martha of Norway dating a conman shaman , maybe Macca will play LALD at their wedding :D

(get it , voodoo lol)

"Thats rather neat , dont you think ?"
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 2019 Posts: 17,809
    CAPTION CONTEST
    00Bailey2-threeByTwoSmallAt2X.jpg

Herr Doktor Mortner was proud of his creation.
    Figured this is the best thread for this. I recently had a look through my mother’s vinyl single collection from the 60’s – or rather, the vinyl singles her siblings’ gave her during that decade. She's likely to get rid of these singles eventually, so I had to make sure to see if there were any hidden gems. There were several artists and titles I wouldn’t bother listening to, but there were a few 7" singles with a Bond connection:
    - 2 x Adam Faith (How About That! / With Open Arms and Johnny Comes Marching Home / Made You). Both 7" singles – in blue vinyl, features John Barry And His Orchestra.

- Louis Armstrong & The All Stars - Hello Dolly / A Lot Of Livin’ To Do. Shame it wasn't We Have All the Time in the World!

- Nina & Frederik - (first side text is to worn to read) / My Home Town. Nina of Nina & Frederik is Nina van Pallandt, who sang "Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown?" in OHMSS.

- Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John / I Won’t Go Hunting With You Jake. ThIs is the same Jimmy Dean who played Willard Whyte in DAF.

All of these singles have unfortunately literally been collecting dust for years without inner and outer sleeves. I'm going to give them a good wash, and find some suitable sleeves to keep them in!

The rest of the collection included singles from artists such as: Elvis Presley, France Gall, Sam Cooke, The Everly Brothers, Bobby Rydell, The Caravelles, Ricky Nelson, Fats Domino, Clay Cole, Eydie Gormé, Bill Doggett, Millie Small, Duane Eddy, Jay Epae, Eddie Cochran and Trini Lopez.

I'm definitely keeping the singles by Elvis, France Gall, Sam Cooke and The Everly Brothers (and maybe the Fats Domino 7" too). I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with the rest of the names. Worth keeping singles from these artists?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Interesting. I just checked on discogs.com, and the "A" side of Nina & Frederik's My Home Town seems likely to be Carnival. Among those names you are unfamiliar with are some who wrote and played songs you will probably recognise immediately when you hear them, say Duane Eddy's Peter Gunn and Rebel Rouser, Ricky Nelson's Hello Mary Lou, Eddie Cochran's Summertime Blues and Trini Lopez' If I Had A Hammer and La Bamba. Dated, maybe, but good stuff. I'm not familiar with the rest, either.

Just last year, by the way, I gave my 7" singles away to a relative who was given an old (but working) juke box for her wedding. Among those records was a copy of Nancy Sinatra's You Only Live Twice. But since I also have it on CD at home (and lossless copies in our cars), I didn't really feel like I should keep the vinyl, which was also in mono.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Interesting. I just checked on discogs.com, and the "A" side of Nina & Frederik's My Home Town seems likely to be Carnival. Among those names you are unfamiliar with are some who wrote and played songs you will probably recognise immediately when you hear them, say Duane Eddy's Peter Gunn and Rebel Rouser, Ricky Nelson's Hello Mary Lou, Eddie Cochran's Summertime Blues and Trini Lopez' If I Had A Hammer and La Bamba. Dated, maybe, but good stuff. I'm not familiar with the rest, either.

Thanks for the info re. the missing title on the Nina & Frederik single A-side, @j_w_pepper! After I've cleaned the surface on those singles and have some sleeves available, I'll have a listen to confirm.

The singles by Ricky Nelson and Trini Lopez features the songs you mentioned; Hello Mary Lou/Travelin’ Man by Nelson, and If I Had A Hammer/Unchain My Heart by Lopez. I have heard Hello Mary Lou before, but only the Creedence Clearwater Revival version. Had a listen to all the songs via Youtube, and the songs by Lopez seems familiar, so I might have heard them at some point. I'll make sure to keep those two singles.

The Duane Eddy 7" features Theme For Moon Children and Kommotion. Decent songs, so I'm keeping this single too. The Eddie Cochran 7" features Teenage Heaven and Boll Weevil Song. Not as good as Summertime Blues, but I might just keep this single anyway.

Haven't used Youtube to find the rest of the songs by the other artists yet, but I might just do that to decide what's interesting enough to keep.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Just last year, by the way, I gave my 7" singles away to a relative who was given an old (but working) juke box for her wedding. Among those records was a copy of Nancy Sinatra's You Only Live Twice. But since I also have it on CD at home (and lossless copies in our cars), I didn't really feel like I should keep the vinyl, which was also in mono.

That's quite the 7" to give away! I would probably have kept any copies of You Only Live Twice, no matter the format. :-D

Working juke boxes must be quite rare these days? Can't remember if I've ever seen a working one before.
    Trini López's version of Cielito lindo is an old childhood favorite of mine.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

@mattjoes, you win the capcon.

@mattjoes, you win the capcon.

Thank you. I knew that Trini López caption would make the difference.
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,293

That's an upbeat tune! Never heard of the song before you mentioned it.
    Silvia Tortosa (Horror Express countess) has breast cancer now :(

It is indeed.

Is it among your singles?

It is indeed.

Is it among your singles?

No, unfortunately. There was only one 7" by Trini López (as with most of the artists in the collection); If I Had A Hammer/Unchain My Heart. Those two songs were enjoyable though!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    anybody know where to find a script of skyfall?
    I found Goldfingers and it is legit https://www.scriptslug.com/script/goldfinger-1964
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Goggle search "SKYFALL script" and it will appear. At least transcript will.

@Birdleson I did but im not finding luck I did ask Peter he said I would have to really dig
    anyone own the james bond archives and or behind the scenes of skyfall books?
    Birdleson wrote: »

@Birdleson is it legit i already saw that one looks like there is a thread on it you know anyone I could go to on here to find it? https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/7169/getting-skyfall-script
    Anyone own some kind of hero?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @007Blofeld - Yes, I love that book Some Kind of Hero - very worthwhile, informative, easy to read, well done. Tons of details, back stories.

And here's this to share today:

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    "You will see that my piranha fish get very hungry. They can strip a man to the bone in 30 seconds. "

Looks like someone is inspired by You Only Live Twice era Blofeld...

http://msn.com/en-nz/news/world/north-korean-leader-kim-jong-un-executes-a-general-accused-of-plotting-a-coup-by-throwing-him-into-a-piranha-filled-fish-tank/ar-AACCWJZ?ocid=ientp

• edited June 2019 Posts: 17,293
    Doing a bit of late spring cleaning, and have a question for the book readers on the forum:
    I guess a lot of you have many books in shelves, in storage boxes etc – both books you've read and ones you haven't read. When doing a big clear out, how do you approach the book collection?

So far I've sorted the books in piles of:
    1. Books I've read that are likely to be read again
    2. Books I've read that I might/might not read again
    3. New purchases (1-2 years ago or less)
    4. Past purchases I've not been able to read yet (3+ years)

The books in pile number 1 I'll definitely keep (this includes Bond books among other titles). Pile number 2 is a tricky one, as I see titles that I might find myself wanting to read again at some point, but not necessarily. Pile number 3 includes books that I still feel excited about reading, but just can't seem to find the time for (yet). And finally, pile number 4 – another tricky one; these are books I have bought long ago that I for various reasons can't seem to pick out of the shelf to read, but still feel a bit uneasy getting rid of.

What would you suggest? Should I be ruthless about what I keep or not, or should I try the best to find a reason to keep every single hardcover and pocket book I own?
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited June 2019 Posts: 2,721
    I did this recently @Torgeirtrap and I was fairly ruthless. Bond books aside - the rest I split into absolute must haves that I would definitely read again. These are favourites. This contains around 25 to 30 books.

Then I made a pile of books I haven't read that I absolutely intend to. I keep this on a shelf and have begun reading them.

The rest I have given away - this includes books I've read but will never read again or books I haven't read but probably never will read.

My suggestion on your list you posted is to only put the elite books in 1.) category. Dump those in category 2.) immediately and amalgamate piles 3) and 4) and be honest in which ones you will actually read - keep those that you will read and dump the rest.

Good luck. If you're a book lover it can be difficult but the clearing of clutter is a good feeling!
    Thanks for the suggestions, @Major_Boothroyd! Amalgamating piles 3 and 4 might be the way to go; there might even be a few titles in pile 3 that I'm unlikely to ever get around to – especially books I've been given as a gift. If I get rid of some of these titles, I will at least do so knowing that I haven't spent any money on them.

It will no doubt be a difficult project, as I can't really see many titles I can be without – but that might change of course. It is indeed a good feeling clearing of clutter. Only today I went through a big pile of magazines I for some reason hadn't felt like throwing out. Downsized the pile to fit into a box, keeping all of them in the same place.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    So apparently, due to dictatorships limiting the availability of printing equipment, some places in Africa had to resort to producing their own movie posters by hand painting on canvas flower sacks. The results were...interesting;
    WXGy2mF_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Full album here: https://imgur.com/gallery/MKN7MnA