Going away or coming back?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @FoxRox , hope you get a joke. And sincerely hope you stick around.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2021 Posts: 23,265
    Back... I was researching a totally unrelated film to Bond today and out of nowhere on flaming YouTube a thumbnail appeared with a spoiler of NTTD plastered all over it, I am absolutely fuming.

The only way to avoid anything in the future is not go online at all.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Going away soon, until I can see NTTD, to avoid spoilers. Was supposed to go tomorrow but with petrol panic here and since my boy has been sick, it might not be possible.

I'm sorry to read that, I hope he's better very soon. I always enjoy hearing from you here.
    Back... I was researching a totally unrelated film to Bond today and out of nowhere on flaming YouTube a thumbnail appeared with a spoiler of NTTD plastered all over it, I am absolutely fuming.

Yep, just got spoiled in a non-spoiler thread- people aren't getting the message here. My own fault, but I'm worried about YouTube because that really is the wild west, certainly.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mtm wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Going away soon, until I can see NTTD, to avoid spoilers. Was supposed to go tomorrow but with petrol panic here and since my boy has been sick, it might not be possible.

I'm sorry to read that, I hope he's better very soon. I always enjoy hearing from you here.

Yep, just got spoiled in a non-spoiler thread- people aren't getting the message here. My own fault, but I'm worried about YouTube because that really is the wild west, certainly.

The YouTube algorithm throws up random suggestions, I get Bond related stuff pop up often. I should have avoided YouTube.
    Hopefully watch NTTD tomorrow, I just want to get the first viewing out of the way as soon as possible.
    I'm contemplating taking a breather from here until I see NTTD one week from now. It's been too tempting to see the reactions, and some of the discussions have become quite heated.

On the other hand it's kind of fun to dive in and embrace the mayhem.

Let's see if I can hold out for a week...................

Unless I suddenly I feel like watching a Bond and commenting.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sorry to hear @Fire_and_Ice_Returns , NTTD has a few big twists and it's a shame
    a few can't resist giving them away.
    Sorry to hear @Fire_and_Ice_Returns , NTTD has a few big twists and it's a shame
    a few can't resist giving them away.

I will be honest the spoiler I read had crossed my mind.though still its nice to find out whilst watching a film rather than someone blatantly ruining it on a thumbnail.

Its only one detail so no doubt there are lots of other things going on that will be great. Listened to the score earlier its got me excited for the film.
    I was away from the board for a month because I was traveling and didn't have much downtime for the internet. Now that I'm back, I'm preparing a couple of threads that should be of great interest to literary Bond fans.

I will see NTTD this weekend and thereafter no longer live in fear of spoilers.
    Revelator wrote: »
    I was away from the board for a month because I was traveling and didn't have much downtime for the internet. Now that I'm back, I'm preparing a couple of threads that should be of great interest to literary Bond fans.

Looking forward to that. Always interesting to read your insightful posts.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Revelator wrote: »

Good to see you back, @Revelator. Hope you had a good time travelling. Those couple of literary Bond threads sound intriguing. Looking forward to reading them.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Coming back.
    I haven’t really frequented these boards in about 3 years. I met someone who I’ve spent a lot of time with and have fallen in love with. Just a few months ago I asked her to marry me and was lucky enough to have her say yes! We’ve also just moved into our first house almost three months ago.
    After watching NTTD it made me realize how much I’ve missed this forum and I had to come back… and it’s good to be back!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Welcome back @QsAssistant and congratulations <:-P
    Always good to see a respected member return.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Thanks @Benny! It truly is great to be back!

@QsAssistant , great news.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Does that make you R? Welcome back to the fold, @QsAssistant! :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well, I'd say "I never left," but I guess that would be a little disingenuous of me. It is genuinely nice to see that this place hasn't seemed to change that much, at least in looks. Feels familiar, and I've missed it.

I just want to say, up front, that I absolutely love this place, many of its members and have valued it over the many years I posted on it because I was able to not just share a lot of passionately developed opinions on a franchise I loved more and more as time went on, but I made connections with people I still have never met that have been some of the strongest friendships I've had. I really don't take any of that for granted, or what this silly corner of the internet gave me.

I have kept in contact with @PropertyOfALady, @Creasy47 and @4EverBonded here and there since my departure, which has helped me stay in contact with people who could report back that no tragedy had befallen me in the intervening time. I know we've all had times where members we enjoyed conversing with fell off the map and didn't ever give ways to reach them and we were left wondering for years what could've happened to them, and I didn't want that cycle to repeat with me. I thank my friends for keeping up tabs on me, and letting you all know I was doing fine.

My absence wasn't spurred by anything specific, it was a variety of factors. Life was getting hectic for me, I needed to desperately find a job, and when I got that job I ended up working 12 hour shifts that put my free time on life support. At that point in April of 2018 (hard to believe it was that long ago) I had also had a lot of Bond burnout after assembling a lot of in-depth reviews and my notoriously meaty post history here had also culminated into a gigantic bloat. I had shared every conceivable opinion on every topic or film I cared to at that time, and after seven years of those kinds of discussions I just didn't feel there was as much for me to say anymore. A break from Bond was needed so that I could explore different things and get a break from a franchise that I loved, but that I had given an extensive amount of time and energy to for endless years through some of the heftiest contributions and highest post counts this forum has still ever seen. Clearly I had said A LOT about Bond, from every angle imaginable, and for a while I thought my work was done.

I never intended to be gone for over three years, though in my defense it hasn't felt that long at all. It really is true that time gets away from us. I just got settled into my new routine in life, had other obligations and responsibilities keeping me back and after a while I had been gone so long it wasn't hard not to return because it had been so long. And then when I finally started to yearn to post again, not to talk Bond again as much as I just wanted to reconnect with you all, No Time To Die was gearing up and my desire to remain unspoiled outweighed my desire to return. I wasn't going to let anything get in the way of properly enjoying Dan's swan song, and I wanted to be surprised by every twist and turn the film had to present. With every new delay the film experienced, from the creative delays to the pandemic related ones, I was increasingly dismayed not just because I frustratingly wanted to finally see the film and be free of the worry I had for spoilers, but was just as dismayed that it prolonged my ability to come back to you all.

I return now only because I have in fact seen NTTD, and true to my nature, I will indeed be drafting up my initial impressions having now seen it twice on the big screen. I feel a lot of relief at the moment, not just for getting to see a film I've waited for more than any other in far memory, but also because I was finally able to post here formally instead of having to rely on others speaking for me indirectly. It really is a wonderful feeling.
    Members who've contacted me through e-mail have told me that I was missed here by many who brought me up now and again, and upon returning I was very moved to read so many sweet messages from people who remembered me and my contributions fondly, wanted me to return again and said they missed me dearly. It was a further honor to be considered the Biggest Connery fan, especially in light of The Great Man's passing last year and all he means to us as fans of this series, and even more lovely that so many suggested me as their most missed member.

You all really don't know what all that stuff means to me, and it makes me very sentimental, truly. This place and this character have had a fundamental impact on my life, and I've never forgotten that because Bond and this community have been a wonderful part of my past, and yes, my future, in some shape or form. I joined this place heading into my final high school year after which I'd have to leave for college, full of anxiety about my future and what my purpose in life was. I was truly lost, with little sense of direction in my life. In that time and in the times since I've dealt with a lot of depression and hopelessness, which I still do on my worst days, but it has been this place and its members that have been one of the silver linings in my life.

MI6 Community has always been a place where I could go and talk to the people I loved like family, though I had never met them face to face, and I could share who I was and what I felt without judgement and was as accepted and supported as anywhere I've ever been online or offline, which is a real rarity in our world. It makes me very proud that I was able to make some kind of impact here with so many, such that my absence was something that stirred people. Know that I have missed you all as much as you have me, if not more, and I look forward to reconnecting with all my old friends. My schedule isn't as free as it used to be, but I will be posting again as much as I can, and will remain around here to share my thoughts in and outside of Bond. It will be nice to get into the arena again. I will have to check my inbox too, as I see a lot of messages waiting for me there and I want to get back to everyone that sent something my way in the last few years.

I very much feel like Daniel Craig's Bond, now, a man who more than ever is a great inspiration to me. I've had my time away, but there is always a calling back to duty, and I want to answer that call. It's time to get back to work.

XOXO

Brady
    bondgunbarrelnotextfinal1.png?w=122&h=122
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Brady, Brady... long time no see. The world has changed a great deal since you retired. But I see you are ready to get back to work again. Great to hear from you!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    mattjoes wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Brady, Brady... long time no see. The world has changed a great deal since you retired. But I see you are ready to get back to work again. Great to hear from you!

A new Bond film was out, and there was much to discuss. You can understand why I came back to play.

A new Bond film was out, and there was much to discuss. You can understand why I came back to play.

I missed you too. Don’t know if you remember me but I definitely liked to hear your Bond thoughts and look forward to your posting again very much!
    FoxRox wrote: »

I missed you too. Don’t know if you remember me but I definitely liked to hear your Bond thoughts and look forward to your posting again very much!

@FoxRox, your name sounds a little familiar, though I don't remember if we had any discussions in the past. We'll have to change that. ;-)

I appreciate your kind words. It's nice to be back.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, what a wonderful day it is to hop onto the forums and see your beautiful face return after so many years. It's great to see you back here, my friend. I know we've already discussed NTTD at length but I'm sure we could cover several pages more with our overly effusive thoughts alone. I look forward to it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Can't wait for the NTTD review @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. You were sorely missed and so happy to have you back!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, what a wonderful day it is to hop onto the forums and see your beautiful face return after so many years. It's great to see you back here, my friend. I know we've already discussed NTTD at length but I'm sure we could cover several pages more with our overly effusive thoughts alone. I look forward to it.

@Creasy47, technically it's Sean's beautiful face, but I appreciate the sentiment all the same. It is wonderful to see you again too outside of e-mail. I very much look forward to getting back to Bond reviews. I want to get my Bond blog up and running again, starting by adding the reviews for YOLT, OHMSS and DAF that I completed and shared here, but never posted on my blog with pictures to illustrate my points. Then I'm tempted to just skip all the way to the Craig films, since those are the ones I'm most passionate about reviewing.

I had reviews of TLD and LTK far along too years back, but unfortunately I didn't do my due diligence by backing up my files on my old computer and I lost everything when it crashed. Still intent on experimenting with a way to get it back, but that's a little far off I think. If I have to start from scratch, so be it. My fault in the end.
    peter wrote: »
    Can't wait for the NTTD review @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. You were sorely missed and so happy to have you back!

That is very sweet of you, @peter. I look forward to sharing my thoughts.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Holy mother of Fleming, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 has returned to the fold. Welcome back.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well, well, well what a blast from the past. Good to see you @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    Your contributions and general presence have been missed. And that's just by me! ;)
    Holy mother of Fleming, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 has returned to the fold. Welcome back.
    Benny wrote: »
    Well, well, well what a blast from the past. Good to see you @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
    Your contributions and general presence have been missed. And that's just by me! ;)

Thanks, lads. It's great to see you too. Been too long!
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I thought my eyes were deceiving me, welcome back.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 I thought my eyes were deceiving me, welcome back.

I don't think you're dreaming, chap, because if so I am too. Great to see you too.
  • I had shared every conceivable opinion on every topic or film I cared to at that time, and after seven years of those kinds of discussions I just didn't feel there was as much for me to say anymore. A break from Bond was needed so that I could explore different things and get a break from a franchise that I loved, but that I had given an extensive amount of time and energy to for endless years through some of the heftiest contributions and highest post counts this forum has still ever seen. Clearly I had said A LOT about Bond, from every angle imaginable, and for a while I thought my work was done.

I can relate to this mate. Had a similar realisation a few years ago, which is why I don’t post anywhere near as much as I used to anymore. Just felt like I was repeating myself after a while.

But anyway, what a nice surprise to see you back! I’ve missed your posts and the effort you always put into them, and I‘m really looking forward to reading your thoughts on NTTD.