The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Kerim wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I believe with slight tweaking, any of the lead actors could have made it work.
    I reckon the tweaking must be big in some cases, @Samuel001.

I just can't see Rog or Pierce pulling it off.

If Rog was in LTK, we would have had popcorn popping sound effects when Krest's head exploded.

I honestly would've paid to see that.

Have you seen Pierce in 'The Tailor of Panama' or 'The Matador'? Tell me you couldn't see him pulling it off a little bit with that kind of acting, not the range he uses when playing Bond. He's totally different in those films.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 292</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>The Bond films have generally become less "naughty" (*) than in the 60s.</b></font>

(*) In a very broad sense.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Agree, with the exception of DAD, which went completely overboard with the sexual innuendos.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    The 70s and 90s certainly had their naughtiness, Honestly, I would say the 70s were naughtier than the 60s.
    TRUE, but I miss the occasional sexual innuendo. Not sure if DC is as good at it as the ones before him.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 292</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>The Bond films have generally become less "naughty" (*) than in the 60s.</b></font>

(*) In a very broad sense.

Agree without a doubt! All due to political correctness!!!
    Yes, for all, and any, reasons mentioned in the above. You could get away with certain things 40 or 50 years ago that wouldn't always seem acceptable by todays standards, so Yes it's good enough to say we have reached a point in time where we can say that things just aren't the same as many will remember. Different times, different attitudes etc. Thesis correct
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Everything is less naughty than the 60s. Maybe except some dark corners of the internet.
    Of course they are :p
    edited March 2014 Posts: 23,551
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 293</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>TWINE tested Brosnan's abilities as an actor the most.</b></font>
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Disagree. Having to work through DAD really tested Brosnan's ability to make something out of nothing.
    Yes i think it did test him in TWINE the most,it was his OHMSS if you like.

He had to show a lot of emotion in it re the injury,conflicting feelings for Electra,the fact that MI6 was directly attacked by an act of terror,M being kidnapped etc.
    Interesting comments, @Kerim and @barryt007. I think some will argue that Brosnan was simply part of the problem in DAD...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Disagree. He had it in him during TND- just look at the Paris/Kaufmann scene. Although, TWINE certainly did test his ability to swing around e.g. air balloon moorings, grappling hooks, chain pulley (silo) and improvised flying foxes (caviar factory). It's like EON were trying to get a Tarzan yell out of Pierce, who wanted nothing to do with it.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Yes, I agree. Although DAD showed Brosnan's Bond at his lowest point (taken prisoner and tortured) I think he is actually in a more vulnerable position in TWINE. Everything that usually goes his way becomes an obstacle for him. His health, his charm winning over the main female character and of course his headquarters and boss are attacked and kidnapped. The parallels to SF regarding his injury are interesting. In TWINE Bond has to find a way to get cleared for the mission while in SF M clears him even though he has failed the tests. He desperately wants to "save" Elektra and her betrayal hits him to the core. These are all heavy emotions that Pierce had to convey to the audience. How well he did that has always been the subject of much debate.
    I think he did a good job in it,with a few obvious cock-ups.It would have been nice to see them carry on in the same vain in the next film instead of giving in to the temptation to do an overboard film for the 40th Anniversary.

At least they learnt from that for the 50th and we got a very good film in SF.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 293</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>TWINE tested Brosnan's abilities as an actor the most.</b></font>

Would agree with this thesis, as I consider TWINE as probably Brosnan's best outing as Bond along with Goldeneye.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I agree with the thesis- TWINE was the closest Pierce would get to a Daltonesque Bond, and I believe he did a good job with it, pain face & all. :D
    I agree. Bond's a really complex character in TWINE. I'm not sure it's Brosnan's best performance (he overacts a bit in one or two scenes) but it's definitely the one that tested his abilities as an actor the most, and I think he did a great job.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Firstly, I <u>agree</u> with the thesis and secondly, he did a wonderful job as 007 in TWINE because, as @thelivingroyale said, Bond is a very complex character in it. TWINE was a kind of mix between both FRWL (for his style of Bond) and OHMSS (for the style of film), I believe. So, a deep and great perf was needed. Sometimes weak sometimes strong, the character was very interesting there. It's so Bond. The job is done IMO. His best perf with GoldenEye's one which is just different compared to it.
    Disagree. If you say Bond tested his abilities the most, then I would agree. He is a very capable actor outside of the Bond role, but that is the one he was uncapable of, sadly. So sorry, dear Brosnan lovers!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    So sorry, dear Brosnan lovers!

Don't be sorry dude, just be correct. Then there's no need for sorry. :))
    edited March 2014 Posts: 45,489
    But if I am sorry, there is no need to be correct. yeah, I prefer that option.
    I agree that Brosnan did his better actingjobs outside of the franchise and that is indeed a shame that EON did not give Pierce a more meaty job.

That said I would disagree with TWINE, Pierce was at his best as 007 in DAD. But I consider none of his outings as really top drawer acting. For which I lay the blame mostly at EONs feet.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I disagree slightly.
    I think DAD tested his abilities the most (looking at the script and his co-stars), although TWINE was close.

The thesis is about which film tested him, not about his best performance (which for me was in TND, in which I find his acting to be great, honestly.).
    edited March 2014 Posts: 23,551
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 294</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>M, Q and MP are preferably left out of active field work.</b></font>
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Agree best left to support Bond whilst on active service.
    Everyone agrees with this. Everyone except Naomie Harris, Ralph Fiennes and Ben Wishaw.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    I agree.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 294</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>M, Q and MP are preferably left out of active field work.</b></font>

Personally I would have to agree with this thesis. I don't mind how little or much screen time they have? But preferably not in the field. Have to say that it would not surprise me if they do get out and about though in this new era?