The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 23,544
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 286</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Roger Moore's PPK shooting poses overall seemed more professional than Connery's.</b></font>
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    It's not something I've really ever thought about till now but actually yes I would probably have to agree.
    I like how he aims in a very athletic pose, as can be seen for example in FYEO when he tries to stop Locque's car.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I like how he aims in a very athletic pose, as can be seen for example in FYEO when he tries to stop Locque's car.

And OP.
  • This is another I hadn't thought about. Part of it is that the way people were shot (on camera) while holding guns changed. In the Connery era, it was more important to get the whole body in, so they stood more straightforward, with one arm bent under the other. By the Moore era, it was more important to get a clear view of the face, so profile shots were often used.

One thing's for sure, Moore had a better gunbarrel pose than Connery ever did.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Agreed. Moore's Bond would aim to kill. Connery's Bond would shoot at a from the hip style and hope to hit anything that moved.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Yes, I agree. This is obviously something that the producers didn't think much about during the 1960's or, as @Soundofthesinners suggests, films in general evolved over time. Either way Connery looked so damn cool it never really mattered that much to me!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    More professional, yes as he was aiming and had a fair chance of hitting his target. I spent 15 months on a cannonboat as artillery guy, and had any of us been firing from the hip, we would no doubt have been reprimanded. But who would do such a thing? Oh, yes, cool looking movie dudes.
    Agree with thesis.
    Connery did have one good pose IMO, but then it wasn't with a regular gun but with the flare pistol in FRWL.

@Thunderfinger, interesting, friend. The funny thing is that when I was a young boy, I did think all shooting happens from the hip. Luckily films pay more attention to this nowadays.
    Definately.

Sir Roger's stance for '77 to '85 is the best stance imo,and a nice bit of history with the flares ;)
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    DarthDimi wrote:

How funny ! I had exactly the same in mind ! :)
  • Agree. After all Moore is the only Bond to use both hands to hold his walther in his gun barrel sequence. If you're a pro you use both hands while firing your handgun for not just accuracy but to handle the recoil. And yes even a gun as small as the walther ppk has considerable recoil.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    im sure Moore said in one of the audio commentaries though that he couldn't help but always blink when firing a gun.
  • How many times did Connery use his Walther though ? Not many if you really think about it, and Moore's Bond was much more quick to use his firearm than the former. Easy enough thesis to agree with. Moore is as far detached from actual Bond greatness compared to (an early) Connery as many would imagine, but when it came to use of the iconic Walther, Moore arguably featured better with it

@BAIN123 Carey Lowell has gone on record on saying the very same thing, but couldn't recall if Moore had the same issue
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 286</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Roger Moore's PPK shooting poses overall seemed more professional than Connery's.</b></font>

I would agree with this thesis. Roger's seems a little more fluid than Connery's. Although obviously it was Bob Simmons in the beginning.
    @BAIN123 Carey Lowell has gone on record on saying the very same thing, but couldn't recall if Moore had the same issue

I'm quite sure Pierce Brosnan has too. I remember he said in the DAD audio commentary that, while filming GE, Martin Campbell was telling him not to blink.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 23,544
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 287</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>GE's satellite dish climax has less noise and action but more tension than the other Brosnan climaxes.</b></font>
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 287</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>GE's satellite dish climax has less noise and action but more tension than the other Brosnan climaxes.</b></font>

Agree: The others were more crash bag wallop!!!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    I think because of each other this is the case.

@DarthDimi, I was thinking, to get more interest in this thread why not change the thread title to the thesis question?

So instead of 'The James Bond Debate Thread - 287' have ' Did GE's satellite dish climax has less noise and action but more tension than the other Brosnan climaxes?'.

This way I feel more people would be inclined to click on the thread and discuss the topic, as it is right there in front of them.

Just an idea.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Agree. DAD being the most annoying by far.
    Agreed also,all the other 3 Brosnan Bond films were anti-climatic endings TBH...GE was the only one with a sensible,tense outcome.
    100 % agreed.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 19,339
    Birdleson wrote:
    Of course. Although, the shooting of Elektra King is probably my favorite Brosnan moment.

That is a real Bondian moment,like Dr Kaufmann and the swiss bankers in TWINE,shame Brosnan didnt get more of them,because these scenes proved he could do them.

• TND and DAD, definitely, but TWINE had a pretty low key finale, arguably with less noise and action than GE. GE still had more tension though so I guess I agree.
  • Well, TWINE climaxes with Elektra's death if you ask me. I think that bit is excellent and intense. DAD's climax is awful for obvious reasons (although I do like the fight between Jinx and Frost..not gonna' lie)

TND's is perfectly fine. However, GoldenEye's climax is up there with the series' best. So I agree
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 288</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Bond making out with Rosie was very progressive for the time.</b></font>
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Yes. And the fact it was not addressed even more so.
  • Yes, and it's hardly played as a huge moment, as @royale65 mentioned. Of course, Rosie is generally irritating, so many viewers (myself included) would prefer to forget that it happened.
    Birdleson wrote:
    Not so much. This was years after GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER, and the STAR TREK kiss. By 1973, interracial couples in the media were, not common but, popping up. I don't remember it being a big deal at all. I'm sure you can dig up a couple of commons from the time, but I don't remember it being mentioned. Like so many things in the past, modern audiences like to find significance where there really was none.

I was just about to cite the Star Trek kiss and forgot entirely about GWCTD which came a whole six years before LALD. I disagree with the thesis. Perhaps ever so slightly progressive, but certainly not "very" progressive.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 288</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Bond making out with Rosie was very progressive for the time.</b></font>

Agree: Considering it was similar to the whole Kirk and Uhura should they or shouldn't they in a way. I thought it was handled well and to honest? I saw her as no different to any of the other women that had gone before her. She was a character like any other pure and simple.