The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

Who's idea was it to set the finale on an oil rig? I can't think of anything duller than that. Still, I guess it sums up DAF in a nutshell.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,350
    If only the frogmen were included... Can you imagine that?!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hard to argue against that thesis, so agree.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,506
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 283</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>The DAF oil rig climax presents us with the most useless Bond in the entire franchise's series of climaxes.</b></font>

Agree, it was a pretty big anti climax!
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Agreed, a poor climax which reminds you of Austin Powers. Only the endings of those films were more entertaining.

"10 minutes and counting"
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    The idea was great, the execution was dreadful, but worse than DAD's oh so very boring and bad CGI laden climax? It's a tough one, but there is still much to love and something rather iconic about those orange and blue clad henchmen battling it out with US army helicopters, so just to be contrary I'm going to say no.
    If I want to see orange clad henchmen battling it out with helicopters I'll put on OHMSS.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    BAIN123 wrote:
    If I want to see orange clad henchmen battling it out with helicopters I'll put on OHMSS.

It's good point, but without the orange wellington boots and matching hardhats it just lacks that certain sense of style!

;)
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 11,189
    saunders wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Haha, It's good point, but without the orange wellington boots and matching hardhats it just lacks that certain sense of style!

;)

The henchman in DAF look like those in Austin Powers, I can't take them seriously.
    It was a pathetic ending and a pretty insulting way for Blofeld to go out of the series,but,apart from Wint and Kid and the Peter Franks fight,along with the PTS,the whole film is naff IMO.
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>The DAF oil rig climax presents us with the most useless Bond in the entire franchise's series of climaxes.</b></font>

This oik rig climax left me rather underwhelmed, as currently being tried to be topped by both the climax scenes from QoB & SF.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    SaintMark wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

This oik rig climax left me rather underwhelmed, as currently being tried to be topped by both the climax scenes from QoB & SF.

But, @SaintMark, would you say that Bond is more useless in the QoS and SF climaxes? I tend to think he takes rather a lot of initiative in those and actually bends the course of things to his advantage.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

But, @SaintMark, would you say that Bond is more useless in the QoS and SF climaxes? I tend to think he takes rather a lot of initiative in those and actually bends the course of things to his advantage.

Well in SF Bond is totally useless in preventing his boss' death, he actually played a active role in her death.

The climax of QoB was in a hotel that burned down and he had to get a baddy who was about as impressive as a wet towel and saved the lady, as he did in DAF.

As for the final climax in CR, the sinking house, I still haven't discovered what it adds to the inevitable death of Vesper. I prefered a low profile and more subtle way he discovered his betrayal and her suicide. Which would have made Bonds apprehention of Mr White far more of a climax to end a movie on.

I thought SF had an excellent climax. The scene between M and Silva is pretty uncomfortable to watch (in a good way) and her death is quite emotional.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 23,547
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 284</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Norman, Martin, Hamlish and Conti put their Bond films more in a time capsule than Barry ever did.</b></font>
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Again, I would probably have to agree. Even though I like Martin's and Hamlish's scores (and to some extent, Conti's) they are certainly of that period.

Perhaps I'm biased towards Barry, but for the most part they are wonderful and are absolutely timeless.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    This happens by Barry's scores being timeless. I also agree.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Yes, I'd have to agree. Whether it was intentional or not, the non Barry scores certainly sound more dated.
    It certainly is a testament of Barry's genius, I think, that he managed to give his scores such a timeless flavor to it.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 7,653
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>Norman, Martin, Hamlish and Conti put their Bond films more in a time capsule than Barry ever did.</b></font>

For me they gave each of their movies their own identity more than aging them. The pre-Arnold time showed that even the one-off composers were more than able to really put their personal stamp on their musical compositions, something that has been lacking severely post-Barry, with the exception of GE that has its own distinct sound.

So DISAGREE

Absolutely agree. The Spy and Eyes scores especially could hardly be from any other time period, whereas all the Barry scores are everlasting.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 4,422
    Agree see above re Thunderfinger's answer.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 23,547
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 285</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Bond's benzedrine use from the novels would have been easier to sell in the 70s Bond films than today.</b></font>
    DarthDimi wrote:

Would agree with this thesis, highlighted for me with Conti's FYEO chase scene score.

DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 285</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Bond's benzedrine use from the novels would have been easier to sell in the 70s Bond films than today.</b></font>

On the fence as have not read the books for my sins! :-\"
    Some more results for debate 285? :-)
    With the current Scorsese doing just fine, the various US states legalising certain drugs I somehow do not think it would be much of a problem. Probably as special forces on a job do have their enhancements as well. NO biggie I would say.
    I can see Daniel using it, but not Sean or Roger, so disagree. >:P
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837
    They don't even let him smoke anymore so I have to agree with this.
    But they found drugs in his blood in SF. Turkish Benzedrine, no doubt.
  • But they found drugs in his blood in SF.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that.