The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think I agree with this thesis. The Bond of FYEO and the Bond of LTK don't really feel like the same person.

Isn't there a degree of practicing what you preach here?

That said I do see Beatlessansearmuffs point. Even the Bond of FYEO was somewhat hypocritical when he kicked that car off the cliff. That was an act of revenge but it was done undercover of his job rather than a "personal vendetta".

Yes, there is definite element of his (Bond) eliminating a significant enemy target as well as exacting revenge for Ferrara's murder at the hands of Locque. It's very easy to lose sight of that fact in the heat of the moment.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 291</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Craig is the only Bond actor, besides Dalton, who could make LTK work.</b></font>
    I'm not even sure Craig could. He just doesn't seem like the "going rogue" kind of Bond (keep in mind that he never actually goes rogue in QoS, it was always, in the end, about the mission). On top of that, some of the interplay between Sanchez and Bond is also something I think works better with Dalton. But, the other four certainly couldn't. Could you imagine Moore doing LTK? My god. Craig is the closest regardless so, I suppose I technically agree. But this film is through and through perfect for Dalton.
    But this film is through and through perfect for Dalton.

@StirredNotShaken, I say amen to that, good sir! :-)

Nah, doesn't really fit in with Craig's Bond. Craig's a blunt instrument for MI6 (even in QOS he wasn't rogue) whereas Dalton didn't follow orders if he didn't think they were right.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Are we talking about the actor or the Bond that they play?
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,400
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Are we talking about the actor or the Bond that they play?

I'd be compelled to say the Bond that they play. As an actor Craig could certainly pull LTK off, but as for the way he's portrayed Bond thus far, I don't think it would be the right fit.

EDIT: Well actually no. I think Dalton has much better chemistry with Davi than Craig would've. I mean of course we'll never tell, but those two actors played off of eachother brilliantly. Certainly one of the best Bond-actor to villain-actor combinations in the series, if not THE best.
    LTK is definitely Dalton's. Craig might be able to work, but I would never want to put anyone else in the position to be in that film than Dalton. In terms of acting, I think Craig could pull it off, and in all honesty, given the time and how he wanted to play the role, Brosnan MAY have been able to pull it off. Look at films like 'The Tailor of Panama' or 'The Matador' where Brosnan plays a rogue, off-the-books kind of character. I'm sure I'll be shunned for that, but the Bond that Brosnan wanted to play would be a lot closer to what Craig's is, and I think he may have been able to handle it.

Having said that, with all of my love for Brosnan's Bond and Brosnan's films, again, I would never switch out Dalton for anyone else.
    Craig COULD work, but that's not to say I'd want to see him in the part for that particular release. License to Kill belongs to Dalton, as OHMSS belongs to George and From Russia With Love with Connery and so forth. Dalton and Craig are so similar in that they both gave such some much needed bite and agression to the character but once again, while Craig could fit in, I wouldn't want anyone else to have played the part for that one release
    Brosnan anyone? He could make LTK work very well- almost as well as Dalton, I'd say.

Therefore, I disagree with the thesis.
    00Beast wrote:
    Brosnan anyone? He could make LTK work very well- almost as well as Dalton, I'd say.

Read what I said about him a few posts up.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Read what I said about him a few posts up.

I agree with what you said about not wanting to ever switch Dalton out of the role in LTK- frankly, he's the only 007 actor who can pull off such a plot that incredibly well; Brosnan would be the closest second in terms of making LTK work!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't believe that Craig could make LTK work, let alone as well as Dalton. LTK was written to play to Dalton's style.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Craig could definitely pull it off. I think Connery could have made it work as well.
  • Disagree. Dalton certainly did it best, and it's almost impossible to imagine it without Dalton, but all the actors apart from Sir Rog could have done a halfway decent job on it.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I think I have to disagree with this one. I can't picture Moore or Brosnan doing it. Connery and Lazenby are possibilities though. Especially if DAF would have been about Bond going rogue and seeking vengeance for Tracy.
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>Craig is the only Bond actor, besides Dalton, who could make LTK work.</b></font>

Agree. The film would fit Craig's Bond nicely. Although I do believe that maybe Lazenby would've made it work. I guess that's just wishful thinking as DAF should've have been similar to LTK.
    DarthDimi wrote:

I think that all actors who played 007 would be able to do LTK, it is a quite generic episode. And all actors have the skills to do so if they would want it.........

DISAGREE

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    pachazo wrote:
    I think I have to disagree with this one. I can't picture Moore or Brosnan doing it. Connery and Lazenby are possibilities though. Especially if DAF would have been about Bond going rogue and seeking vengeance for Tracy.

Yes.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,506
    DarthDimi wrote:

Given how brutal DC's Bond can be? I would agree with the thesis.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I believe with slight tweaking, any of the lead actors could have made it work.
    Craig couldn't make it work. LTK would work with Dalton and no other actor. Out of the other actors, I'd say Craig is the one that would be the least embarrasing, but no other actor apart from Dalton could have pulled it off.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    LTK was written for Dalton and it shows. None of the other actors would've gone rogue, it doesn't fit in with their versions of the character.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    DISAGREE
    Dalton and LTK go hand in hand. As stated by @ShakenNotStirred, Davi and Dalton have some of the best Bond-Villain chemistry in the franchise, and as stated by @thelivingroyale, Craig follows orders, Dalton doesn't.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I reckon the tweaking must be big in some cases, @Samuel001.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Maybe, maybe not.

It would give the actor playing Bond a new angle to explore. I maintain it could work with any of them. Maybe not well or as well as with Dalton, but it could work. To me, the film as it stands is a good showcase for any actor, to gauge what their capabilities are.
    That's what made me ask if we were talking about the Bond the actors play or the actors themselves.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I am of the opinion that the tweaking would be much less than any presumption would be.
    All of the Actors have shown enough variation and skill in their non-Bond movies to see for everyone that they have enough in their abilities to do LTK credit.

Even Brosnan & Moore are skilled enough to play a darker Bond.

• LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    I agree with the thesis for the same reasons stated before (similarities between Dalton and Craig mostly). It's a question of style. For me, Roger Moore in LTK is unimaginable.

With others, it would have been a "half work" done, I believe.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I just can't see Rog or Pierce pulling it off.

If Rog was in LTK, we would have had popcorn popping sound effects when Krest's head exploded.