The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

THESIS 295
    Disagree- based off the examples everyone else already pointed out, it wasn't the 'most violent' so much as it opened the floodgates for more violence!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Surely Hugo Drax's plan to obliterate the earth's population with fatal nerve gas and start a new breed in space would rank higher than Zorin's endeavors..

Does than not constitute a violent moment ?

Thesis incorrect

But @Baltimore_007, that plan is effectively thwarted by Bond and thus isn't something we experience. Its violent nature is only suggested. :-)

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In terms of 'genocide,' of sorts, I would disagree, as we've had many other boxed-in execution moments, like the Severnaya employees in GE or the sailors in TND.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I disagree; other violence is worse.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Creasy47 wrote:
    In terms of 'genocide,' of sorts, I would disagree, as we've had many other boxed-in execution moments, like the Severnaya employees in GE or the sailors in TND.

Indeed. I concur.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 23,551
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 296</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Roger Moore's characterisation of Bond was the most "hit and miss".</b></font>

Thank you, @BAIN123 for the suggestion.
    Interesting. I think I agree. But then again, Roger had the longest era and his films were rather all over the place, some so very different from others. HIs personal portrayal of Bond did vary, so I will go with agreeing. For now.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited April 2014 Posts: 2,629
    I'm going to agree also. Moore's era explored various genres such as Blaxploitation, martial arts and space. He tapped into Fleming and got far away from Fleming. His era was more escapist than anyone else's. While his era hit the target on 80s realism, the Cold War and comedy, his era missed on unrealistic plots (even for the 70s) and comedy that don't translate as well in modern times. I will agree that Moore's era best captured its time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Provided that I understand the thesis correctly, agree. Connery showed a more steadily declining curve in his characterization, whereas Moore was all over the place throughout. He could be a believable older version of Fleming s Bond at times and a comedy act at other times.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I'll agree with some reservation because "hit and miss" depends largely on your own point of view. I personally enjoyed all of his performances but I do admit that he played Bond quite differently at times.
    Connery showed a more steadily declining curve in his characterization, whereas Moore was all over the place throughout.
    Agreed. Connery peaked and then steadily declined. Moore was up and down and all around. Dalton was fairly consistent and I believe the same can be said for Craig. I think that Brosnan did improve over time even though the quality of his films were declining.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 296</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Roger Moore's characterisation of Bond was the most "hit and miss".</b></font>

Thank you, @BAIN123 for the suggestion.

Agree but only just! It just got a little too silly as the movies went on.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 297</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>A Bond girl preferably looks slightly younger than Bond.</b></font>
    Absolutely.
  • Yes, probably, although I'm not sure why and I wouldn't object too strenuously to a girl about the same age or even slightly older.
    I would not mind an older Bond woman.DISAGREE
    As long as isn't along the lines of Bond-Bibi, I'm in.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I think it depends on how young/old the current Bond is/looks.

George Lazenby was the youngest Bond (28 iirc) and he did look quite young, so a woman looking the same age or even a little older than him would be fine. Whereas if you have a Bond that looks older, then yeah, I think you need a younger looking girl. Bond actors can carry on into their 50s but I wouldn't like to see a Bond girl over 40.
    Disagree. Can be the same age or slightly older, no problem.
    Honor was older than Sean, right? :)
    I don't mind if the Bond girl even looks slightly older. Not a LOT older. Not a LOT younger either
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 4,813
    THESIS 297
    Well if the story calls for it....
    ;)

Daniel-Craig-Judi-Dench-Skyfall.jpg
    edited April 2014 Posts: 12,459
    How many times do I have to say it, Craig was not the Bond girl in Skyfall. Sigh ...

:D
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I agree with the thesis. I really don't mind if there is an age difference as long as it's not too substantial. I think it works best though if Bond is or at least looks slightly older.
    Agree. Slightly younger preferably.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 4,813
    On the other hand I do like the notion of Moneypenny being a bit older.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 297</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>A Bond girl preferably looks slightly younger than Bond.</b></font>

Disagree. It's all about the character? And who is the best actress for the part regardless of her age?
    edited April 2014 Posts: 23,551
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 298</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Bond films are rarely career launchers (for the non-Bond cast).</b></font>
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 298</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Bond films are rarely career launchers (for the non-Bond cast).</b></font>

I tend to agree with this thesis although recently the Bond ladies are having a little more success compared to previous actresses from the past.
    Rarely is probably the right word. So agree.
    Agreed, but there have been a few exceptions (i.e. Jane Seymour, Benico Del Toro).
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I would tend to agree with that thesis. In fact you could argue that Bond films kill more careers then they launch. I think of Daniella Bianchi (?) in FRWL I thought I had read somewhere that she was going to be the next big thing. That didn't quite work out.

I think the casting agents look for good character actors and not superstars or stars in the making. I had actually read somewhere that UA didn't want a Felix Leiter to upstage Bond. Hence no more Jack Lord after the first one. Today that thinking doesn't exist.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Daniel-Craig-Judi-Dench-Skyfall.jpg

Well he has not got his moms ears.