Craig to be the longest serving Bond

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    What's happened is someone has asked Wilson "Do you think Daniel could do the most Bond films of any actor and beat Moore's record?" or something along those lines, then the reply was posted as the first point in the article. The whole discussion is then blown way out of proportion.

It must really only be one person's hope because I can't see it ever happening, to the point of not understanding why anyone would ask that question. At least EON still want Craig, that gives me hope for more than four with him.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,691
    I think it's a fact DaltonCraig007 will hate Skyfall no matter how good it is.

I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. So maybe SF will surprise me.
    Well CR is [...] colourless
    I guess you are colourblind.

And I guess you didn't understand that I meant by 'colourless'. I was talking about CR's lack of colourful secondary characters, something that makes DAF much closer to Fleming than CR. DAF's maccabre atmosphere and benign bizarre also makes it much closer to Fleming. And I happen to not like CR's overly-saturated cinematography, which is appalling in many scenes. So no, IMO, it isn't the most colourful film since the 1960's, as the bizarre choice of colour saturation really makes me want to gouge my eyes out. I find QOS, in all it's faults, much more colourful than CR.
    What amazes me is that some people believe Skyfall can't be good if it's too serious while others feel that it will be bad if it's too light hearted.

I believe there are good serious action films (Batman Begins) and good not so serious action films (Mission : Impossible - Ghost Protocol) just as there are bad serious action films (First Blood - I mean it's serious because it's not fun or light hearted) and bad not so serious action films (Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen).

For me it doesn't matter whether Skyfall is as serious as QOS or fun as Goldfinger. I just want a really great movie.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I don't want serious Bond films. I find MR, YOLT, DAF, TMWTGG (and DAD, to an extent) to be the absolute perfection of what Bond films should be. Lots of humour, fun, escapism, glamour... but lots of Fleming - benign bizarre, maccabre atmosphere, colourful set of oddball secondary characters. I prefer to see Moore or Connery enjoying themselves for 2 hours than have a depressed, dark and serious Bond. I don't hate Craig for being serious and dark - heck, I loved him in Layer Cake, Defiance, Flashbacks of a Fool and Munich - but for Bond I want fun, humour, gags, camp and gadgets.

But SkyFall would score major points, IMO, if David Arnold didn't score the film.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I have faith that SF will be an amazing movie. However, I find it strange so many people here are essentially bashing Craig's movies for being too serious. The man's only done 2 movies with a central story line running through, where he's in an emotional and fragile state. SF is a movie completely independent of those 2 movies and with everyone raging about how awesome the script is, the talent that's been attracted to be involved and with the emphasis and serious approach on making this movie a traditional and definitive Bond movie, I'm somewhat alarmed at the lack of optimism. If the Craig era can capitalise on what made Bond exciting in the first place then we're good and imo it's already done that masterfully in CR. DaltonCraig by his own admission prefers the more sillier films, good for him. They can be fun at times. I on the other hand can see Craig being involved with Bond for as long as possible just so long as the films aren't of the stupid standard, hell Craig wanted nothing to do with Bond initially because he thought it was the typical Brosnan bs that the world had been so comfortable with. We're lucky to have an actor who demands more from the material and expects better as to the direction where the series is heading.
    Realistically, 8 movies does sound quite excessive but I'd be satisfied with Craig to do a total of 5 or 6.
    This is a tough one for me, I didn't like Craig before his debut as Bond, now hes grown on me, as for the "dark" comments about his on screen qualities, i do like, there not as dark as Tim Burton or something, haha. A realistic Bond is a good for a change, (in the long run). AND they NEED to have a long running Bond. I and as Wilson said as well, I couldn't see anyone else doing a better job at the moment. I say YES for 5 more.

IF THEY DO SO, PLEASE MAKE THEM HOW THE MOORE FILMS APPEARED, with the next movie title released in at the end of the credits AND not so much of a waiting period between films.

so YES.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    But SkyFall would score major points, IMO, if David Arnold didn't score the film.

Michael Giacchino: an obvious choice, wouldn't you say? ;-)

edited December 2011 Posts: 15,691
    DarthDimi wrote:

Michael Giacchino: an obvious choice, wouldn't you say? ;-)

Giacchino has been the obvious choice for me ever since I played the first 'Medal of Honor' game back in 1999. :-c
  • I personally would love to see him finish 8. I think he is the best bond since Connery.
  • If he does stay for a long time it will be interesting to see if the films gently glide back to campy for one or two films.
    MI6 now has an article up: http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond_23_dec18_wilson_on_craig.php3?t=&s=&id=03036

This could well happen, but it's a long way away, so I suppose we just need to sit tight and see what the future holds.

It looks like Craig's rumoured five films from 2006 - 2016 could still hold, if he is indeed contracted for a fifth and if Craig looks good at 54, why not leave then? Of course, still best to take it one film at a time for now.
  • Risico007 wrote:
    Isn't that obvious though?

Of course he won't. A bit more fun and a bit taking itself so serious and we'll all be happy. But by the looks of it, Skyfall looks down beat already. Here's hoping eh?

Exactly. I want them to liven things up and make it more of a bond film, but don't go over the top.
  • solace wrote:
    I personally would love to see him finish 8. I think he is the best bond since Connery.

I doubt he'll do 8. There were romours of him leaving after QOS. I think skyfall could be his last one, and he'll do 4 or 5 at most.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2011 Posts: 4,450
    This from the guy who fired Brosnan aftert his 4th one. before that happend he like to see Brosnan make a fift. Also Brosnan said something like DC and he like to brake Roger Moore his record.

DC wil make 4th one for 2014, mabey a 5th for 2017 and then he is gone.

DAD having a big boxoffice, but we know that not be inportent. If the media don't like Skyfall and fans believe it he is gone after Bond 24. Eon only make then Bond 24 with him because there promes there did in Cr/QOS. We expect White and Camile return. Also it wil help to explain from his previous movies.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The way I see it they initially hire an actor for a certain number of films (three, with an option for a fourth or something like that) but they end up working out the leads from film to film. Immediately after DAD, there was no question about Brosnan leaving. Obviously this actor was going to propel the series way into the 2000s. Then things changed, rather abruptly I dare say. Now we get the same optimistic words on Craig, and in a rather personal note I'd like to add that I think any optimism concerning Craig's Bond is perfectly justified. However, speculating on Craig doing 8 Bond films is like saying Lucas will most certainly finish a third Star Wars trilogy. I call it wishful thinking from someone who's stoned on caffeine and decides to write it off as the truth.
    I don't see him staying for 8, and personally don't want him to. I like a refreshment every now and then, and I like Craig enough as an actor to want to see him move on while hes still moderately young from the series.

One thing we're all assuming is that they'll complete 8-10 with Craig following the same timeline they've worked with so far, about a film every two years.

I wouldn't be suprised if they plan out two to be shot back to back after Skyfall. Not necessarily tie-ins with one another, just a quick shooting schedule if everything is set. I mean, why not?

I'd rather them use, for example, Mendes, Deakins, and Logan for a straight year and produce two great films than use them for one and have to replace them a year later for a next installment.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 2,107
    He will. And he suddenly remembers how to write dialog , direct the actors and guarantee the films are not computer animations with a few living actors giving wooden performances. Yes, I do believe that will happen too.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I don't see him staying for 8, and personally don't want him to. I like a refreshment every now and then, and I like Craig enough as an actor to want to see him move on while hes still moderately young from the series.

One thing we're all assuming is that they'll complete 8-10 with Craig following the same timeline they've worked with so far, about a film every two years.

I wouldn't be suprised if they plan out two to be shot back to back after Skyfall. Not necessarily tie-ins with one another, just a quick shooting schedule if everything is set. I mean, why not?

I'd rather them use, for example, Mendes, Deakins, and Logan for a straight year and produce two great films than use them for one and have to replace them a year later for a next installment.

That could happen with a right team. With a right team I have a realistic vision they could shoot Bond 24 and 25 as a follow up.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I want him to do 5, to beat Brosnan (we need to see a Bond go for more than Brosnan, I think, just as Brosnan should have gone for more than Brosnan), but if, and I stress if, he
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 1,661
    Okay, how about this as a conspiracy theory....

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is Craig's biggest role since getting Bond. Let's say Girl With The Dragon Tattoo flops or underperforms big time, this will kill of Craig's leading man credentials when not playing James Bond. What if he said to himself "my best chance of box office gold is sticking with Bond for the next decade."

I'm not saying Tattoo will flop but Craig hasn't had a true box office hit outside of the Bond films - not with him as the star. If Tattoo does underperform it makes sense for Craig to stick with Bond. He'd be crazy to jump the Bond ship!

However, the opposite scenario is possible - if Tattoo is huge then Craig doesn't need Bond after Skyfall. He did his three, made millions, got to appear in other films so "thanks, Eon, but I'm quitting for other opportunities."

Be interesting to see how well The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo does. It's getting good reviews but that doesn't translate to box office gold. Not sure it's really a Christmas film - seems a bit dark for this time of the year! People like uplifting stuff at Christmas. Cliff Richard, the Queen's speech and Top of the Pops Christmas special. :P
    fanbond123 wrote:
    Okay, how about this as a conspiracy theory....

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is Craig's biggest role since getting Bond. Let's say Girl With The Dragon Tattoo flops or underperforms big time, this will kill of Craig's leading man credentials when not playing James Bond. What if he said to himself "my best chance of box office gold is sticking with Bond for the next decade."

Problem: Craig is an honest actor. That should be quite obvious to anybody who has read more than 2 of his interviews. He will not stay with a franchise just to fatten his wallet. He's already loaded, and whether or not TGWTDT is successful or not will not effect him or his career. He's a great actor, his acting is great in TGWTDT and everything else, and he's A-list property.

He has nothing to worry about. I feel like Bond is some he's passionate about, and he'll only drop it once that passion leaves him.
    Putting the conspiracy theory to one side....

You could argue MG Wilson's comments are dumb. How can anyone predict so far ahead. Craig may not even do a 4th Bond film, let alone 8! It does sound like a very silly comment to make. He must have got carried away. Nobody can predict so far ahead. Five more films is at least a decade or more into the future! Indeed, predicting so far ahead is not a good thing for anyone to do. Never predict your life so far ahead. A year, perhaps, but 10 years, nah, that's crazy.

But it's obvious MG loves Craig and thinks he's the best Bond. Why mention 8 if he doesn't rate him the best. 8 Bond films for Craig would mean he's made the most of any actor which suggest Wilson has, to quote a character from the film Speed, and pardon my language... a "hard on" for Craig! : :))
    I was going to bring this up when Bond 24 begins shooting but now, because of this news, seems a better time. When Craig has done his four, will he want to sign another multi-film (and how many) contract, or sign one at a time? If Craig still likes playing Bond why sign for one, when he could get two? I'm trying to guess how Craig and EON would want to play this.

As for the topic at hand, if you asked Craig "so you're doing 8 Bonds?" he'd most likely reply "If I can do another after this one, that'd be great but I can only take and think about these one at a time".
    No actor can predict so far into the future. Heck, no wonder Lazenby didn't sign up to a seven picture deal. He probably read the contract and thought "this will force me to play Bond for 14 more years?!!!!!"

That's a scary thought! I can't imagine Craig thinking any different.

As Sameul001 says, Craig will take Bond one film at a time. But it's possible he may consider the long term box office potential of Bond and consider it's worth staying on. Better the devil you know.... :)
    fanbond123 wrote:
    No actor can predict so far into the future. Heck, no wonder Lazenby didn't sign up to a seven picture deal. He probably read the contract and thought "this will force me to play Bond for 14 more years?!!!!!"

That's a scary thought! I can't imagine Craig thinking any different.

As Sameul001 says, Craig will take Bond one film at a time. But it's possible he may consider the long term box office potential of Bond and consider it's worth staying on. Better the devil you know.... :)

Actually, at the rate held by Moore, it probably would have been a decade, but I don't argue 7 films was too much. I would have countered with 5 and stuck with it. Honestly, I don't want someone who isn't devoted, say Lazenby, to sign up for more than 1.
  • I'd love for Craig to stick around as Bond for as many films as possible. He's got the potential to be the definitive James Bond; he just needs to continue to diversify his character. Getting stuck in the overly serious mentality won't get him far. If Craig were to pad the complexity of his Bond, then I could see him equaling or passing Connery. Equaling or passing Moore may not be possible at this point but you never know.
    I just don't see another actor playing Bond for as long as Moore did ever again. Like the article on Mi6 says, assuming the Bond films come out every two years, Craig's 8th film will be in 2020 and he will be 54. That is pretty old for Bond. Moore started to look old in For Your Eyes Only and he was 53 there. Craig, however, does not have the baby face Moore had! Maybe Craig could still physically perform in his later films (eh....) but I have serious doubts that he will still look the part. Hell, he's already looking pretty old in some of the Skyfall pictures!
    SJK91 wrote:
    I just don't see another actor playing Bond for as long as Moore did ever again. Like the article on Mi6 says, assuming the Bond films come out every two years, Craig's 8th film will be in 2020 and he will be 54. That is pretty old for Bond. Moore started to look old in For Your Eyes Only and he was 53 there. Craig, however, does not have the baby face Moore had! Maybe Craig could still physically perform in his later films (eh....) but I have serious doubts that he will still look the part. Hell, he's already looking pretty old in some of the Skyfall pictures!

In Craig's defense, Crusie is 49 or 50 ish and still looks and plays Hunt's role great in Mission Impossible. I could see him staying.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 1,778
    If this is indeed true imagine how Pierce Brosnan must feel about this. He wanted to play the role as long as he could and EON dumped him as quickly as possible. And I honestly think had DAD not been the 40th anniversary (not the right time to establish a new actor) that EON might have even dropped him after TWINE. Brosnan said he wanted to do 6 films to equal Connery's run, possibly even more, and he didn't even come close. Craig is getting exactly what he wanted. At the same time we shouldn't feel too bad for him as he made over 35 million dollars in his years as Bond.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If this is indeed true imagine how Pierce Brosnan must feel about this. He wanted to play the role as long as he could and EON dumped him as quickly as possible. And I honestly think had DAD not been the 40th anniversary (not the right time to establish a new actor) that EON might have even dropped him after TWINE. Brosnan said he wanted to do 6 films to equal Connery's run, possibly even more, and he didn't even come close. Craig is getting exactly what he wanted. At the same time we shouldn't feel too bad for him as he made over 35 million dollars in his years as Bond.

Interesting point to look at my friend.
    I remember very well, that everybody was yearning for some seriousness after the **** that was DAD - so they were given that with CR and QOS. I feel, this was exactly right for the time. Now everybody starts to ask for more lightness again, which I think, is legal and normal and I have the feeling, they are being heard. SF will be more Bond then the two previous ones. DC and others have stretched that point so often now, that it would be pure silliness, if they wouldn't deliver exactly that. Bond with capital B...my two...