Craig to be the longest serving Bond

Comments

I wish I could think on this strategic level.
    No, you won't. Just

He just got his green card, but forthermore, if he looked like that, the Bond world would be fine, yes? Bits on Bond, as usual---
  • Germanlady wrote:
    I wish I could think on this strategic level.
    No, you won't. Just

Please tell me more about how I might use my time and talent to perfectly match your unique sensibilities!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    In Craig's defense, Crusie is 49 or 50 ish and still looks and plays Hunt's role great in Mission Impossible. I could see him staying.

True, but Cruise does looks much younger than Craig. I've not seen MI4 (i'll wait for the DVD), but from what i've seen of Cruise lately, I think he could pack in a 5th MI film in 3-4 years time. Craig, I can't see him making 8 Bonds (unless they kept throwing money at him, Connery style or he stops ageing). Honestly, I can't see him making 6 Bonds. I guess it'll depend on how he ages over the next 2 years, and let's not forget how badly Moore aged between 1979 and 1981.

You really should go see it in the theater if you can spare. Its a very very hood theater expirience.

I really enjoyed MI & MI3 (and it looks like MI4 has a near unanimous thumbs up). It's the price of tickets and the idiots who always seem to sit near me that put me off. The last time I went to the cinema was in 2010 for Piranha 3D, I would've gone to see a Lonely Place To Die (but again, I thought i'd wait for the DVD*). I had intentions of going to see Piranha 3DD in January, but the latest news is that here in the UK, might might go straight to DVD.

* Which incidentally, is out on Dec 26. B-)
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Germanlady wrote:

Those little tea-leaves have been stealing content from MI6 again...
    All these Craig haters make me laugh! BOND IS NOT MEANT TO BE A CARTOON CHARACTER ala Moore. (even though I do enjoy his films!). I just wish Ian Fleming was around to witness all this lunacy! Dan, if in the incredibly unlikely chance that you get to read this, please keep up the good work mate and ignore all the negativity cos the majority of fans do appreciate your portrayal! END OF RANT!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,691
    LeChiffre wrote:
    All these Craig haters make me laugh! BOND IS NOT MEANT TO BE A CARTOON CHARACTER ala Moore. (even though I do enjoy his films!). I just wish Ian Fleming was around to witness all this lunacy! Dan, if in the incredibly unlikely chance that you get to read this, please keep up the good work mate and ignore all the negativity cos the majority of fans do appreciate your portrayal! END OF RANT!

Actually Fleming's novels were closer to the DAF and TMWTGG films than the Craig films... IMO of course... And I do believe that humour is very important in Bond films... you can never have too much humour in Bond films... so IMO DAF, YOLT, TMWTGG and MR are the perfect outings... humour, atmosphere and characters are the most important aspect of Bond films...

LeChiffre wrote:

Actually Fleming's novels were closer to the DAF and TMWTGG films than the Craig films... IMO of course... And I do believe that humour is very important in Bond films... you can never have too much humour in Bond films... so IMO DAF, YOLT, TMWTGG and MR are the perfect outings... IMO.

Maybe a rival company can produce a non-Bond film like Never Say Never Again with a comedy actor like Adam Sandler and play it for laughs to appease all the Craig-haters! Hang on a minute, Mike Myers has already done that, very successfully, I might add!

• Humor in Bond films is all very well and good if the individual watching likes that kind of thing and takes life with a red nose on top but some like their Bond adventures serious and no nonsense, I hope again we never see the level of childish nonsense brought about by the end of Moore's tenure, but can't envisage that will really happen so long as Craig is in the role and things have moved on somewhat since the japery days of the 1980s and times before it
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 138
    I like Daniel Craig as Bond and think he should stick with his format for the rest of his Bond career, at which point it might be good to try something else a bit more fun with a new actor before being reinvented again in potentially a more serious manner, perhaps a proper sequel to OHMSS were an older Bond is losing the plot hunting for Blofeld etc......

However 8 films? No way! I know Connery did 6 but they were able to churn them out at one a year for the first few films and Roger Moore was far too old in his last couple. I think 5 films over a decade is the maximum, then reinvent the character so it stays fresh.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Even Deadline are reporting this story now! It sure is spreading.
    i agree, with the exception of GL. All the Bond's have been consistant in their own portrayal of 007. DC will continue in the same way and rightly so.

I have enjoyed and embraced all the Bond's in their takes of the role as i am a huge fan of these charactors. And i look forward positively to DC's next film in the part.
    I really do think that MGW quite likes what Mendes is doing with this new picture, and what he is doing with Craig as Bond (more Connery like) and that this is what prompted his outburst about wanting to keep Craig around for the long haul.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    If Mendes is as good as Wilson is making out, it's just as important to get him locked for Bond 24 as it is Craig for future films beyond that in my opinion.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Actually Fleming's novels were closer to the DAF and TMWTGG films than the Craig films... IMO of course... And I do believe that humour is very important in Bond films... you can never have too much humour in Bond films... so IMO DAF, YOLT, TMWTGG and MR are the perfect outings... humour, atmosphere and characters are the most important aspect of Bond films...

Fleming's Bonds always seemed less funny than Moore's films (and I can't even compare DAF to any of the books, let alone the one upon which it's based). I would probably slit my own throat if I read Bond dressing up as a clown.
    I hope he does five total. Can't see him doing 8. He'll get sick of it and move on, regardless of money.
    Germanlady wrote:
    To me, it seems, nobody is save, as it is - in the end - all about money, but something tells me, that Babs (from the beginning) and now Micke have a soft spot for DC ( which is well deserved moneywise AND also a personal affair). But lets not fool ourselves here - at the moment, he is not delivering the goods anymore, he is history...and so it should be...as a fan, I believe they should pay respect to the franchise and the actor...
    I agree entirely and besides, pragmatism and history support it.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 2,782
    i hope he does just one yes just one film where he plays James Bond and then I'll be happy (unlike this character I've seen in two films masquerading as James Bond).
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 6,677
    I don´t care how many films Dan does, I just want a stellar new film, better than anything that´s come before CR and after TB. But I´m glad MGW is so filled with confidence, it surely must mean they have a good one in their hands. But when we get down to it, this is all hype from the producers, nothing more, all will ber discussed in due time.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    i hope he does just one yes just one film where he plays James Bond and then I'll be happy (unlike this character I've seen in two films masquerading as James Bond).

Well, how about we let this new Bond grow in to the seasoned Bond we're used to.
    Well I hope he does about couple more after Skyfall but I not get my hope up that he be long serving Bond. He's my Third Favourite 007.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Dumb jokes and stupid gags have no place in a Bond movie anymore. This isn't the 70s and furthermore not only have those elements been parodied to death by others movies but hell, the Brosnan era fell into self-parody a good 70% of the time and then we got the disastererous culmination of DAD. As long as Craig is around, expect a mature and more sensible and credible tenure.
    doubleoego wrote:
    As long as Craig is around, expect a mature and more sensible and credible tenure.

And there's no problem with this.
    i am happy with Craig's bond! He has made Bond more ruthless and resourseful! Lets have some more!
    doubleoego wrote:
    Dumb jokes and stupid gags have no place in a Bond movie anymore. This isn't the 70s and furthermore not only have those elements been parodied to death by others movies but hell, the Brosnan era fell into self-parody a good 70% of the time and then we got the disastererous culmination of DAD. As long as Craig is around, expect a mature and more sensible and credible tenure.
    Well put.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    i am happy with Craig's bond! He has made Bond more ruthless and resourseful! Lets have some more!

This is where we need to go. Bond can't be that happy-go-lucky court jester that Roger Moore was (wall-to-wall humor isn't right for Bond).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    LeChiffre wrote:

Absolutely not. There is no humor in the literary Bond's arsenal. That is why Moore is looked down upon so sharply as well as DAF, and the lot of "comedy show" Bond films that have disgraced the franchise.
    LeChiffre wrote:

Absolutely not. There is no humor in the literary Bond's arsenal. That is why Moore is looked down upon so sharply as well as DAF, and the lot of "comedy show" Bond films that have disgraced the franchise.

All of us are going to keep telling him that, but it'll always just hit the wall he's built up around his head. He's convinced himself that Moore was, is and will always be the definitive Bond just because they give him far too many laughs than Bond in the novels ever gives.
    Yes but if you set Lazenby aside and just lump him in with the Connery era, Rog was the second greatest Bond of all time. That's just a fact isn't it. :-B
  • timmer wrote:
    Yes but if you set Lazenby aside and just lump him in with the Connery era, Rog was the second greatest Bond of all time. That's just a fact isn't it. :-B

For the time being yes. I wouldn't say best but second most identified with the role. But give Craig some time ;)