Craig to be the longest serving Bond

Comments

• edited December 2011 Posts: 886
    Yeah, after Brosnan, I'm taking it on a film-by-film basis, that this could be this Bond's last film. Craig may quit after Skyfall, and after all the BS and financial problems that have been happening since QoS, it wouldn't surprise me if he wants out.

I agree on the film to film theory, I would be surprised to see him do more than 4. It's all about having the physical ability and having great scripts...if these are possible, he'll be there but how many times can that happen?
    How many times can the planets align?
    Also taking into consideration, the constant search for the perfect Bond film may end, for him, at SF, so why then continue?
    Like any good actor, leave the audience wanting more. Can't see Craig denying himself that honour.
    Quality not quantity.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I complained because you act like your opinion is the only truth.

That's what you do. You're clearly the childish one, because you let this get to you so easily. The only reason I'm even responding to you is because I find it as fun as this person:
    I love it when craig fans argue with moore fans, makes for good reading ;)

He's very right about this.

You're the one carrying this on, because you believe I've somehow infringed upon your opinion-blaring, when I haven't at all. You stated your opinion, I stated mine, you got angry. I don't have a problem with your opinion at all. You, on the other hand, seem to have a problem with mine. That's a sad, sad thing. None of this argument would have happened at all if you didn't feel that somehow, just because I like Craig, I'm a damn moron. I happen to like his more realistic take on Bond because it's dark and hard-edged.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It's all about having the physical ability and having great scripts...

Well, these and age. You could be able to crush a girder with your forehead, but if you look like you're 97, you shouldn't be playing Bond.
    "Well CR is lifeless, colourless, boring, dull, unmemorable"

With respect DC Royale probably has more colour in it than most of Brosnan's films. I don't really see how you can say its colourless with settings like the Bahamas and Madagascar.

Even Quantum, dull as it may have been, had more colour in it too.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,691
    because you believe I've somehow infringed upon your opinion-blaring, when I haven't at all.

So why did you say that I didn't like the film so obviously I didn't see the film ? I DID see CR multiple times, and I still don't like the film. So you can take your piss poor claims elsewhere. You are the one who was acting like an idiot, not me. I simply posted my opinion on CR, and you are the one who came here and claimed I didn't see the film, because to you there is NO WAY that anyone who saw the film didn't like it.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    "Well CR is lifeless, colourless, boring, dull, unmemorable"

With respect DC Royale probably has more colour in it than most of Brosnan's films. I don't really see how you can say its colourless with settings like the Bahamas and Madagascar.

Even Quantum, dull as it may have been, had more colour in it too.

IMO DAD has much more colour than CR. The film was just so much more fun and entertaining. Yes you are right, the locations in CR are more colourful than DAD's cold Iceland, but IMO DAD retaliates with more fun, espacism, humour, memorable and colourful secondary characters.

I would also hazard a guess as to why MGW came out and said this...maybe EoN feel Craig might step down if SF is as popular as CR and more...pre-emptive strike to show they want him ” so don't ever think we fired him ” theory.
    Also the title of this thread really needs a question mark after it as it's all speculative at this point. :D
    What I meant by that, Mr. Sensitive, was that if you saw the film, you missed just about everything except the poker scenes in the middle of the film. Exotic locales, such as Madagascar, Nassau, Montenegro, Venice - hell, even Miami, Florida popped up in the movie. More bullets flew in this movie in the embassy scene than in Moore's seven films combined (hence the action, which shuts out your claim that it was 'boring'). The emotion between Bond and Vesper was pure brilliance, and their final moments damn near made me cry when I saw the film in theaters back in 2006. And as for unmemorable? The final scene of the film quiets that remark.

When you claim something about a film: back it up. I just pointed out so many examples against your claims, and where's your back up? I'm patiently waiting, and laughing all the way.
    It's all about having the physical ability and having great scripts...

Well, these and age. You could be able to crush a girder with your forehead, but if you look like you're 97, you shouldn't be playing Bond.

Well he looked like that in CR, he has that type of face, but yes, how he looks does come into it..sorry I thought was a given in my point making.
    Good lighting and make up only goes so far. The sexy cragginess ,unfortunately in most cases, does not age well.
    :D
    Be careful here. You're going to get this thread locked if your not careful.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    More bullets flew in this movie in the embassy scene than in Moore's seven films combined (hence the action, which shuts out your claim that it was 'boring').

So you must have the attention span of a 6 year old kid if you think a Bond film should have wall-to-wall action to not be boring... I happen to think the action in CR was utterly boring, uninteresting and unmemorable, apart from the crane fight. I do not have a short attention like you who needs a fight or guns firing every 2 minutes not to fall asleep. Maybe you should go watch Expendables 2 or Crank or Transformers 3 to have your daily dose of explosions and gun fired, and leave people like me who doesn't need action scenes every 2 minutes in a film.

The Miami action scenes was just boring beyond imagination. It went on and on and on and on, Craig running around, and it because boring real fast. This 12 minutes scene seemed to last forever, and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Yes the poker game was interesting, but they had to keep people like you awake so they put more dumb and boring action scenes every 5 minutes. The final in Venice was again there to keep your attention span going, so another boring and useless action scene. The love story was just overly campy and corny... And I don't mean 'Moore-level fun camp', but 'stupid and boring camp.' Lines like 'you don't know what I can do with my little finger' are just completly cringe-worthy. They make lines like 'Yo Momma' pass for Oscar-worthy material. I never thought James Bond would act like a 12 year old falling in love... that made the character seemed like a total retard. Even Brosnan didnt seem so much annoying in TWINE.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I'm not sure I can even picture Wilson saying all of that, or why he'd want anyone to do eight films. It strikes me more as a plea for him wanting to keep Craig on for as long as he can and if that's his aim why shouldn't that be allowed?

I do hope they discuss Craig's future as Bond after this film though. If he wants to do more than four I hope it's settled on before Bond 24 begins filming. We don't need anymore expired contracts. Even if he did eight, that would mean we have a 54 year old Bond in the best possible situation. If that two year cycle is not kept to, we may end up with another pushing 60 and we don't want that again.

I also don't see all six Bond's getting together as Connery as retired, so how does Wilson and co. plan to pull that one off?
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 6,677
    Grant wrote:
    Please don't say that. The world is increasingly dark and depressing. Craig and his 'realistic' Bond need to go.

I never thought I'd miss Moore but there you go.

Yes. After Skyfall I'd prefer 5 films in the vein of MR/DAD/YOLT/DAF/TMWTGG, not 5 more depressing and dark Craig films.

You Bonkers?

PS: I love TMWTGG actually. But can I hardly put it in the same list as those other cr*p flicks. IMO of course. I know opinions differ very much in what Bond films are concerned.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 172
    So you must have the attention span of a 6 years old kid if you think a Bond film should have wall-to-wall action to not be boring...
    I happen to think the action in CR was utterly boring, uninteresting and unmemorable, apart from the crane fight.

Well DC i may disagree with you, the action in CR was not boring. I believe its more fascinating (at least to me), because Craig doing almost of the stunts himself, and for me its fascinating.

IMO DAD has much more colour than CR. The film was just so much more fun and entertaining. Yes you are right, the locations in CR are more colourful than DAD's cold Iceland, but IMO DAD retaliates with more fun, espacism, humour, memorable and colourful secondary characters.
    Again, are you bonkers?

PS: My opinion again, not on you being bonkers of course, but on DUD being utter s**t.
    Univex wrote:
    Grant wrote:
    Please don't say that. The world is increasingly dark and depressing. Craig and his 'realistic' Bond need to go.

I never thought I'd miss Moore but there you go.

Yes. After Skyfall I'd prefer 5 films in the vein of MR/DAD/YOLT/DAF/TMWTGG, not 5 more depressing and dark Craig films.

You Bonkers?

PS: I love TMWTGG actually. But can I hardly put it in the same list as those other cr*p flicks. IMO of course. I know opinions differ very much in what Bond films are concerned.

Well I just think the last 2 films were too serious and dark. I prefer a good dose of fun, humour, escapism and entertainment like MR, DAD, DAF and YOLT... Also DAF in all it's camp and fun, is closer to Fleming than CR... IMO of course.

And @chuck007 : I could have liked the CR action scenes more if the Bond theme featured in them.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 172
    And @chuck007 : I could have liked the CR action scenes more if the Bond theme featured in them.

Well actually i still can manage to enjoy them without the Bond theme, but I think it would be a better experience if CR featured Bond theme in some scenes.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It is so funny to see comments about Craig's films be depressing, boring, and lifeless. How are they any of those things? They have depth, tension, and show a Bond with a past that pushes him forward that we don't know about. He is a cold man who still tries to love a woman who breaks his heart. That certainly isn't lifeless and the action is NEVER boring, so I don't understand some of you people. The Craig films are the best we've had in a decade+. It is sad to see people that think if the Bond theme featured during action scenes then everything would be fine with the action scenes and CR and QoS. So, Craig's films have showed how low the franchise has gone? Really? Craig's films have been a savior. He gave us one of the greatest films in the franchise, a great performance, and after Brosnan took his last stand the future was in limbo for Bond. Thanks to Craig's great work we have had a good meat of Bond work. But, people will always pick. Some just don't like Craig and even if Skyfall is a flawless film come Oct 26-Nov 9 2012, they will still complain because they refuse to see the greatness in the film. I say let Craig do one after Skyfall for sure and hopefully one or two after that if at all possible. Craig should get a Bond film for the one he missed in 2008-2012.
    chuck007 wrote:

Well actually i still can manage to enjoy them without the Bond theme, but I think it would be a better experience if CR featured Bond theme in some scenes.

And maybe because I love OP, MR, DAF, TMWTGG and YOLT, I prefer when the action scenes have gags in them. Yes QOS had the old lady in the stairs, but I still think they miss the good old charm of the old films... Like the gun-totting grandma in GF, or Connery putting the flowers on Bouvar's body in TB...

No @0Brady, I didn't meant that putting the Bond theme during the action scenes of CR and QOS would make them less boring, IMO. It's just that they aren't fun. They are just no-nonsence scenes... and I prefer the more fun and humorous scenes... The chases in the Craig films just go on for too long, without any gags like I like the action in Bond films... I miss Connery dropping the flowers on Bouvar's body, or the gun-totting grandma during the car chase in GF... There a little charm in the old films that is nowhere to be found in the overly dark and serious Craig films. I just want the fun to come back.
    I like serious and exotic, fun but engaging, borderline realistic, grounded but barely. DUD, MR, YOLT, ..., are the reason Bond films aren´t taken seriously. And I don´t mean it has to be DEAD SERIOUS, I mean it has to have quality to it so it can be TAKEN SERIOUSLY. FRWL, TLD, CR, OHMSS ..., are the best as far as I´m concerned. Escapism doesn´t mean borderline stupid. Hell, even MR-the novel, was wonderful compared with the piece of cr*p movie they made, albeit some good scenes in it. I hate it when they take the audience for granted, and make stupid ott all but the kitchen sink films like DUD. But hey, my opinion again.

PS: shades of the macabre and exotic, like the flowers in Bouvar´s body are wonderful, cringing one liners and ice wave surfing is not.
    More bullets flew in this movie in the embassy scene than in Moore's seven films combined (hence the action, which shuts out your claim that it was 'boring').

So you must have the attention span of a 6 year old kid if you think a Bond film should have wall-to-wall action to not be boring... I happen to think the action in CR was utterly boring, uninteresting and unmemorable, apart from the crane fight. I do not have a short attention like you who needs a fight or guns firing every 2 minutes not to fall asleep. Maybe you should go watch Expendables 2 or Crank or Transformers 3 to have your daily dose of explosions and gun fired, and leave people like me who doesn't need action scenes every 2 minutes in a film.

The Miami action scenes was just boring beyond imagination. It went on and on and on and on, Craig running around, and it because boring real fast. This 12 minutes scene seemed to last forever, and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Yes the poker game was interesting, but they had to keep people like you awake so they put more dumb and boring action scenes every 5 minutes. The final in Venice was again there to keep your attention span going, so another boring and useless action scene. The love story was just overly campy and corny... And I don't mean 'Moore-level fun camp', but 'stupid and boring camp.' Lines like 'you don't know what I can do with my little finger' are just completly cringe-worthy. They make lines like 'Yo Momma' pass for Oscar-worthy material. I never thought James Bond would act like a 12 year old falling in love... that made the character seemed like a total retard. Even Brosnan didnt seem so much annoying in TWINE.

So, now I have a short attention span... Listen, dip-wang, I hate Crank, I never watch the Transformers movies for their action, and I'm looking forward The Expendables 2 because I like Sylvester Stallone. I never fell asleep during the movie (I've never fallen asleep during a movie, except when I was sick).

Oh, and technically, you're insulting my disorder: I have ADD.

Why does liking action mean I have a short attention span?

Ever fallen in love before, dip-wang? Love IS campy and corny to those viewing it from the outside. Have an open mind once in a while. And I ask you not to even get me started on the butchering of the English language that is "Yo momma"...
    Id love something in the vein of YOLT, but thays as much 'adventure' as I'm willing to give.

So, now I have a short attention span... Listen, dip-wang, I hate Crank, I never watch the Transformers movies for their action, and I'm looking forward The Expendables 2 because I like Sylvester Stallone. I never fell asleep during the movie (I've never fallen asleep during a movie, except when I was sick).

Oh, and technically, you're insulting my disorder: I have ADD.

Why does liking action mean I have a short attention span?

Ever fallen in love before, dip-wang? Love IS campy and corny to those viewing it from the outside. Have an open mind once in a while. And I ask you not to even get me started on the butchering of the English language that is "Yo momma"...

I´ll sign under that. Except the dip-wang part, no nedd for that, we´re all Bond fans with different opinions. No need to insult people on either side of those opinions. Hey, by all means call DAD or CR piece of s*it, but not the fan that is bashing or defending it. Right? The same goes for that "attention span" comment. But...I´m not a mod, just a friendly neighbour in this discussion.
    Univex wrote:
    DUD, MR, YOLT, ..., are the reason Bond films aren´t taken seriously.

And it seems that DC007 doesn't want the series to be taken seriously. He'd rather laugh at them then truly use them for the "escapism" he claims to want.
    Univex wrote:
    DUD, MR, YOLT, ..., are the reason Bond films aren´t taken seriously.

And it seems that DC007 doesn't want the series to be taken seriously. He'd rather laugh at them then truly use them for the "escapism" he claims to want.

I actually laugh WITH films like DAD, MR and YOLT, and not at them. Sorry if you don't to the same.

And IMO the Bond franchise isn't meant to be taken seriously. For me the franchise should be populated only by MR's, YOLT's, DAF's, DAD's, TMWTGG's... For me Bond was never meant to be serious, dark and realistic. Even the Fleming novels are closer to TMWTGG and DAF than CR. I love to laugh and have fun when watching Bond films. I never took Bond for a serious, dark or realistic character of film. For me Roger Moore is the ultimate Bond.
    Univex wrote:
    I´ll sign under that. Except the dip-wang part, no nedd for that, we´re all Bond fans with different opinions. No need to insult people on either side of those opinions. Hey, by all means call DAD or CR piece of s*it, but not the fan that is bashing or defending it. Right? The same goes for that "attention span" comment. But...I´m not a mod, just a friendly neighbour in this discussion.

The only reason I said "dip-wang" was because I couldn't say anything stronger. Even when I censor stuff, I get warned about it. By all means, we should return to the topic at hand and let DC007 sort out his personality defects on his own time and leave us alone.

But I'm still having fun!
    The only reason I said "dip-wang" was because I couldn't say anything stronger. Even when I censor stuff, I get warned about it. By all means, we should return to the topic at hand and let DC007 sort out his personality defects on his own time and leave us alone.

But I'm still having fun!

Whatever rocks your boat...
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    The mods are going to have a field day with this.
    I would also hazard a guess as to why MGW came out and said this...maybe EoN feel Craig might step down if SF is as popular as CR and more...pre-emptive strike to show they want him ” so don't ever think we fired him ” theory.
    Also the title of this thread really needs a question mark after it as it's all speculative at this point. :D

There is NO indication at all, that he might plan to do that? I doubt, they are playing games - and then going for a number like 8 or even just 5 (if he was misinterpreted) wouldn't make sense just for the cause you mentioned.

Samuel001 wrote:
    The mods are going to have a field day with this.

Yeah, but think of the fun they'll have.
    I actually laugh WITH films like DAD, MR and YOLT, and not at them. Sorry if you don't to the same. And IMO the Bond franchise isn't meant to be taken seriously. For me the franchise should be populated only by MR's, YOLT's, DAF's, DAD's, TMWTGG's... For me Bond was never meant to be serious, dark and realistic. Even the Fleming novels are closer to TMWTGG and DAF than CR. I love to laugh and have fun when watching Bond films. I never took Bond for a serious, dark or realistic character of film. For me Roger Moore is the ultimate Bond.

To each is own I guess, but that´s what´s fun about being a Bond fan, we each have our views on things. I happen to agree with Agent007391, but I respect your opinion as well DaltonCraig007, even if I think you´re bonkers. ;) Cheers old chap.