Craig to be the longest serving Bond

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,691
    Absolutely not. There is no humor in the literary Bond's arsenal. That is why Moore is looked down upon so sharply as well as DAF, and the lot of "comedy show" Bond films that have disgraced the franchise.

In your opinion.... I have a different take on Fleming than you, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. For me DAF and TMWTGG are 2 of the most Flemingesque films. I also find Moore in 'Golden Gun' and Brosnan in 'DAD' as very Flemingesque performances... much more than Craig has done so far. But it's just my own humble opinion, and I am not trying to make you change opinion. ;)
    All of us are going to keep telling him that, but it'll always just hit the wall he's built up around his head. He's convinced himself that Moore was, is and will always be the definitive Bond just because they give him far too many laughs than Bond in the novels ever gives.

Could it be you just have a different opinion ?
    Craig has made Bond cool and relevant again. The average movie goer has plainly really responded well to Craig's Bond, and indeed many hardcore fans, including myself, really like what he's doing with the character. Some don't, but that's only to be expected.

M G Wilson is right when he says many people consider Craig the best Bond since Connery. I'm certainly one of them, and I'm hoping Craig continues to play Bond for as long as possible.

I'm betting that after Skyfall wraps, Eon and MGM will offer Craig another 3 picture deal, and he may just agree to it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    OR- we could 'make him' agree to it. ;)
  • timmer wrote:
    Yes but if you set Lazenby aside and just lump him in with the Connery era, Rog was the second greatest Bond of all time. That's just a fact isn't it. :-B

For the time being yes. I wouldn't say best but second most identified with the role. But give Craig some time ;)

I doubt craig will become more identified with bond than moore. I think craig and moore are around the same level, they're both good, they just have different takes on the part.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    ColonelSun wrote:
    I'm betting that after Skyfall wraps, Eon and MGM will offer Craig another 3 picture deal, and he may just agree to it.

Would this cancel out the option he has for his fourth film then? Being 'in the know' as it where, what do you the chances of Craig being offered such a deal are @ColonelSun?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited December 2011 Posts: 7,854
    QBranch wrote:
    OR- we could 'make him' agree to it. ;)

We need to give him an offer he can't refuse. ;)

Remember, just like Quantum, we do have people everywhere: the fans.

In your opinion.... I have a different take on Fleming than you, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. For me DAF and TMWTGG are 2 of the most Flemingesque films. I also find Moore in 'Golden Gun' and Brosnan in 'DAD' as very Flemingesque performances... much more than Craig has done so far. But it's just my own humble opinion, and I am not trying to make you change opinion. ;)

Don't get me wrong here, DC007 (also, I'd change your name if I were you; for someone who hates Craig as adamantly as you, your name hides these harsh feelings), I'm glad you can laugh when you read Fleming. Me, on the other hand, I need someone to actually crack something resembling a joke, or have something a little funny happen. I can't find that in any Fleming book. Benson, yes, but that's because his books are a combination of Fleming and the Brosnan era films.

And, the way you talk to me doesn't seem like you accept my opinion, or agree to disagree with me.
    I really doubt that Craig (or any other actor) will top Roger Moore's 12 year, seven picture stint. I like Craig but unless they make the movies closer together (2 years between) it ain't happening ever again.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    ColonelSun wrote:
    Craig has made Bond cool and relevant again. The average movie goer has plainly really responded well to Craig's Bond, and indeed many hardcore fans, including myself, really like what he's doing with the character. Some don't, but that's only to be expected.

M G Wilson is right when he says many people consider Craig the best Bond since Connery. I'm certainly one of them, and I'm hoping Craig continues to play Bond for as long as possible.

Craig's a very cool and wonderfully enjoyable Bond indeed, ColonelSun! I too hope that he won't run away from the series after SF. But will they indeed offer him a 3 picture deal? It would be the first time for them to move in that direction. And we all know how dangerous hubris can be in film business. I think they'll play it safe and see where they can go with Craig from film to film.

• edited December 2011 Posts: 4,622
    I think Craig will play Bond as long as they let him. He seemed to say as much at the SF press conference. His only stipulation seems to be that he gets good scripts and is surrounded by "quality" people. I think he wants to continue indefinitely while he is young enough as long as each film brings a fresh challenge.
    Also from a financial perspective, Bond is his sure thing, Cowboys, Dreamhouse...not everything he does, can count on great box-office, so it's not bad to have something in hand that you can count on.
  • Craig won't be the longest serving bond. Moore only managed it because of shorter gaps between his films. Craig will know when he's older enough is enough, he won't carry on for the sake of beating a record.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 289
    Actual DAF stinks totally compared with the BOOK, the Spangs should have been in it. The Book is so much better than the corny boring and lazy movie, other than the couple, blofeld, bond and the bikini nothing is remember-able about other than it was Connery $$$$$$$ film.

I hope DC does 5 or 6 films...I do wish they would go to Alaska/Canada border region.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    ColonelSun wrote:

Would this cancel out the option he has for his fourth film then? Being 'in the know' as it where, what do you the chances of Craig being offered such a deal are @ColonelSun?

Eon could extend the option to another 3 picture deal. They wanted Moore to sign to a similar deal, but he held out for a picture to picture deal.

Craig may well do the same; but I still suspect Eon and MGM will dangle a very large carrot in front of Craig to lock him in for more films, perhaps with higher percentage gross and substantial pay rise for each film.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    There's no way Craig is going to put out eight Bond flicks if you ask me. In fact, I think we should consider ourselves happy if he returns for number 4. He doesn't, however, strike me as the type of actor who's willing to get stuck in a part for nearly two decades. That said, with the ways things are going right now, I don't think I'd mind Craig as Bond for another five films but no, I don't consider it realistic.

Totally agree. Moore was lucky in that he was older than Connery but always looked much younger than he was. He was pushing the limits of credibilty by the end but u get my point. Not sure craggy faced Craig will be able to pull it off for so long although I'd be happy to see DC hang around a bit longer. To get anywhere near the record tho he really needs to start cranking them out. No more four year vacations for 007! Her Majesty expects!
    Speaking of which, it will be very weird when the inevitable day comes that Bond is no longer on HER Majesty's Secret Service. Will Charles III inspire the same loyalty?
  • Getafix wrote:
    Speaking of which, it will be very weird when the inevitable day comes that Bond is no longer on HER Majesty's Secret Service. Will Charles III inspire the same loyalty?

I've often thought the same thing. HIS Majesty's Secret Service just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Time to start setting them in the past!
    ColonelSun wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    ColonelSun wrote:

Eon could extend the option to another 3 picture deal. They wanted Moore to sign to a similar deal, but he held out for a picture to picture deal.

Craig may well do the same; but I still suspect Eon and MGM will dangle a very large carrot in front of Craig to lock him in for more films, perhaps with higher percentage gross and substantial pay rise for each film.

Oh, I see. The option for three more. That would of course allow Craig to call it quits anytime during the making of these films.

Hopefully we'll hear something when Bond 24 is announced, in the press release.
    i reckon craig will do four may be max 5. not because eon won't want him to stay but cos he will want move on. he's headstrong and i think he will feel 4 or 5 is enough.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I give him 5. I definitely think he's got 5 in him.
    five seems about right. connery should have stuck at five. although if he'd done ohmss it might have been different.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Getafix wrote:
    i reckon craig will do four may be max 5. not because eon won't want him to stay but cos he will want move on. he's headstrong and i think he will feel 4 or 5 is enough.

What will Craig 'move on' to? Craig knows he's good something good going and it's make no sense for him, or any actor, to consider throwing that away until he's at least 50.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

What will Craig 'move on' to? Craig knows he's good something good going and it's make no sense for him, or any actor, to consider throwing that away until he's at least 50.

by the time he's fifty he will be on five or may be six films. i think by then he will just be bored of it. my view based on perception of Dc's character.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,691
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Anything can happen you know... one of his Bond outings may flop, have bad critics/fan reviews, the audience may want Bond to go in another direction... Who knows what can/will happen in the next 6/7 years until Craig turns 50. Wishing him to do another 3 or 4 outings after SF is pure wishful thinking... you can't predict what will happen so far ahead... who knows, SF could be a disaster... anything is possible.
    craig is establishing a decent rep as a character actor. he has range and screen presence. should have life after bond. perhaps a return to the stage as well. not long before lear beckons...
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Anything can happen you know... one of his Bond outings may flop, have bad critics/fan reviews, the audience may want Bond to go in another direction... Who knows what can/will happen in the next 6/7 years until Craig turns 50. Wishing him to do another 3 or 4 outings after SF is pure wishful thinking... you can't predict what will happen so far ahead... who knows, SF could be a disaster... anything is possible.

I meant if everything is plain sailing and continues to go well, he shouldn't consider leaving until he's at least 50. Of course anything can happen, just as it has in the past. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
    DC's Bond is a physical Bond and i cannot see DC being at all happy having to use a stunt double more as time goes by? He just won't accept it i think? 5 movies i think it will be for Mr Craig!

And i look forward to them!

:D
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 17
    Grant wrote:
    Please don't say that. The world is increasingly dark and depressing. Craig and his 'realistic' Bond need to go.

I never thought I'd miss Moore but there you go.

I agree completely. Lighten it up, EON, let's have some laughs! In any case, there's no way they could possibly crank out a film with Craig (or any actor for that matter) every two years until 2022 at the speed they're going (they made only three films in the last decade, and after Quantum of Solace, it was Wilson who said "we don't want to get stressed". And, I don't think Craig will want to do that many anyway. I see him ending up doing only four, maybe five.
  • http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/daniel-craig-i-almost-quit-as-james-bond/256337

he almost did a Timothy and walked away from Bond - the big girl's blouse.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

@DC007 exactly. I think alot of people are making these predictions about him staying for ages when skyfall could be his last one
  • http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/daniel-craig-i-almost-quit-as-james-bond/256337

he almost did a Timothy and walked away from Bond - the big girl's blouse.

you can't blame dalton for walking away. Everybody wanted brosnan, he'd been waiting years to do his 3rd film, it wasn;t his fault