Quick Big Mi6 Title Sequence Ranking Game

Comments

• Pretty close to my own ranking of FYEO. The water effects and colors look cool and go well with both the song and the more romantic nature of FYEO (by contrast at least with the water-themed titles of TB). I like Sheena Easton appearing in them too. It sets FYEO's titles apart in a special way.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    0y43MzY.png

Hey, he has to test his designs out somehow before they get to the shoot!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Some of you will be relieved to find out our next entry, at number 14, is:

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
    Main title sequence designed by
    MAURICE BINDER

daf_c.jpg?k=62b06f268e

I firm favourite for the cat lovers amongst the Bond fans, or the diamond fans, or both.

DAF collected one silver medal and ended up 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th, each on one occasion. There were also two 9th places, giving it a total of seven top 10’s.

At the other end of the spectrum, two bottom 5’s were noted: a 24th and a 25th place. Another three members ranked it in 22nd place, giving it a total of five placements outside the top 20.

DAF’s main title sequence ended up with a total of 81 points.

That’s the same as FYEO, but with one medal more it won the toss-up and claimed the 14th spot.
  • GBFGBF
    It is interesting how close the results are. TND being 19th only having 6 points less than DAF at 14th. That means that one vote can change everything quite drastically... I had DAF at 5, so I guess I am certainly responsible for lifting it up a few spots in the ranking.... I am certainly biased by the great song that fits well to the visuals and I rellay enjoy the elegance ....
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited March 2022 Posts: 4,388
    Good news for @ProfJoeButcher
    DAF is finally out and I can understand the critisism. It is splitted in segments: it fades to black before new images do appear. An all connected sequence is more convincing in general. And some images are a bit repetitive. However, the cat (especially in the beginning) and all the diamonds always sticked in my mind. The women sitting around the diamond like they would move it around is another moment I like a lot.
    I ranked it at #9.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Fairly close for me at 16th. I don't love or hate it one way or the other, it has its moments and charm for sure.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I had it pretty low. I appreciate the cats and the song, but overall, the sequence feels like random images pasted together. Look, I don't hate this sequence, I just think others are better. ;-)
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I had DAF at number 25 - which in retrospect seems too low. It's not a bad title sequence but I find it to be kind of bland compared to the other Connery/Lazenby era titles.

Nice cat though. :))
    Had DAF positioned at 22. Good, but as usual, Binder could have done a lot more considering the subject matter! The song makes up for it a lot!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Had DAF positioned at 22. Good, but as usual, Binder could have done a lot more considering the subject matter! The song makes up for it a lot!

Same, same and same.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    24 for me.

As mentioned above, no real ideas to be seen here, no transitions between shots, and honestly, the big issue for me is that it's all just so dark and shabby-looking. It looks like a bootleg or something.
  • This one fell about the middle of the pack for me. No real problems with it. It goes very well with the song, and the glinting diamonds and white cat are put to good use. It is interesting to note, thanks to @GBF, that all these in the teens are so closely ranked point-wise. There are a lot of strong title sequences in the series.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I must be one of the minority who enjoys DAF’s titles. I have it in 6th spot.
    It might be slightly over praised by myself. But it’s a solid stereotypical entry from Binder.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I like them just fine.
    I just love cats, I’d watch DAF’s title sequence on loop all day long :))
    Right, after that confession, I feel I can safely move on to our number 13:

QUANTUM OF SOLACE
    Main title sequence designed by
    MK12

quantum_of_solace_c-0-1080-0-0.jpg?k=d155ccb778

The oddity amongst the EON title sequences, by not being credited to one person but an entire company. Not sure why Kleinman did not do this one, if anyone knows, feel free to enlighten me.

Anyway, about the sequence itself, it received one silver and one bronze medal. It was also ranked 4th, 5th and 8th, each on one occasion.

It clearly has its fans, though it also has some detractors. QOS ended up in the bottom 5 on three occasions: a 24th, 25th and 26th place.

In total QOS’s main title sequence obtained 85 points.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2022 Posts: 23,527
    It's a little wild for me, but not bad. Wasn't Forster the one who brought these people in?
    Unlucky 13!
    I love these titles. Think MK12 did an excellent job, it flows really well, has gorgeous colours, and Craig looks cool in it! Even that example above shows it to be a strong sequence, Number 4 on my list!
  • GBFGBF
    The one that always feels like a screen saver to me. But I must say I quite like it. Had it at 17 so not too far away.
    Shame it didn't crack the Top 10. I think it's one of the more visually stunning sequences of the series and is easily my #2. It's exciting, grand, beautiful to witness and Bond's "journey" throughout it is fun to follow, as is the speeding bullet. I can't remember which one of us mentioned it years back, whether it was me or @Birdleson or somebody else entirely, but I love the idea that the title sequence opens with a "gunbarrel," with Craig firing at the sun (which could technically be seen as the gunbarrel itself, with Bond firing at the audience then). I just love this movie so much.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I had it at 22nd. Just doesn’t work for me. It’s nothing memorable or impressive.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    @Creasy47 I had noticed right off, and when I brought it up you said you had too.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It's a little wild for me, but not bad. Wasn't Forster the one who brought these people in?

Yes, that was it.
    Unlucky 13!
    I love these titles. Think MK12 did an excellent job, it flows really well, has gorgeous colours, and Craig looks cool in it! Even that example above shows it to be a strong sequence, Number 4 on my list!

Same here. Top five for me as well. If they are still in business, it would be cool to see them give it another go.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @Creasy47 I had noticed right off, and when I brought it up you said you had too.

I knew it was something along those lines, didn't want to take credit for it and be wrong though. That's great. I like to imagine it every time I watch it now.
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 6,803

Yes, that was it.
    Unlucky 13!

Same here. Top five for me as well. If they are still in business, it would be cool to see them give it another go.

The only other film I saw their work on was Forsters 'Stranger than Fiction', which were pretty neat too. Agree that I'd love to see them have another go at Bond titles!
    They are the only ones who so far just did one, which makes this pretty unique as well.
    This is easily the weirdest final list of all the ones I've taken part in. This sequence is a sandy dumpster fire.

Yes, that was it.
    Unlucky 13!

They are, they're a very tight knit, super small company. I'd love to see them get more high profile gigs such as this.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I ranked it at 14th. I liked it much better during my last watch. I like it that the letters are written differently and some silhouettes are nice to watch. But it is still not a sequence that stands out. There isn't enough happening for my taste.
  • I love this sequence. It made my top 10 and probably should have been a couple spots higher than I put it. As with the oil theme in TWINE's, you wouldn't necessarily think sand dunes would inspire such creativity. I love the traveling of the bullet, the sharp swivels of our POV, and the zoetrope against the sun. It all works so well with the crash, bang, wallop of the song. This one's a classic.

Forster was the one who brought MK12 on board. Honestly, I never would have known these weren't Kleinman's titles as the quality matches his perfectly. MK12 also designed the stylish location titles you see throughout QOS and the computer interface M uses in MI6 headquarters.

MK12's creative director, Ben Radatz, has written a number of articles for Art of the Title, including a couple on Bond:

https://www.artofthetitle.com/feature/james-bond-50-years-of-main-title-design/
    https://www.artofthetitle.com/title/skyfall/
    I love this sequence. It made my top 10 and probably should have been a couple spots higher than I put it. As with the oil theme in TWINE's, you wouldn't necessarily think sand dunes would inspire such creativity. I love the traveling of the bullet, the sharp swivels of our POV, and the zoetrope against the sun. It all works so well with the crash, bang, wallop of the song. This one's a classic.

Forster was the one who brought MK12 on board. Honestly, I never would have known these weren't Kleinman's titles as the quality matches his perfectly. MK12 also designed the stylish location titles you see throughout QOS and the computer interface M uses in MI6 headquarters.

MK12's creative director, Ben Radatz, has written a number of articles for Art of the Title, including a couple on Bond:

https://www.artofthetitle.com/feature/james-bond-50-years-of-main-title-design/
    https://www.artofthetitle.com/title/skyfall/

So far I took all the images in this contest, save the one for NSNA, from that site. I hope they don’t mind.

I love the QOS title sequence too, as well as those fantastic title cards. Always presumed the computer interface was the work of the production designer, but if it’s MK12 I’m not surprised, given their quality work on the rest they did.