Quick Big Mi6 Title Sequence Ranking Game

Comments

• 15th, which is still a strong placement for me. The dots are fun and iconic. Dr. No's titles most definitely paved the way for all that followed. Still, for me, the series reached higher heights on a number of occasions.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    My bronze medal. Can put it in loop for hours and never get tired of it.
    Binder’s masterwork may not be as visually sophisticated as those that followed but its genius lies in its simplicity.
    A perfect opening for a gritty spy thriller.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I gave it 8th place, so pretty close. I have always loved this one. The only thing that is a bit jarring is the change in music. Everything else is perfect.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I've not ranked them properly but this would be near the top, taking in just the visuals the dots are very sixties but they hold up 60 years later. I think the dancing silhouettes have been ruined slightly by all those damn Apple ads but they're so colourful that it imbues the film with a sense of fun, it perfectly communicate that this isn't going to be a typical, gritty noir spy thriller. But you're right the music change is so jarring which is such a shame because just a slightly smoother transition this could've been perfect.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I gave it 8th place, so pretty close. I have always loved this one. The only thing that is a bit jarring is the change in music. Everything else is perfect.
    True, the change of music (and style) is a bit odd but the end with three blind mice is cool again, especially how we see the silhouettes of the killers before wecsee them in full.
    These moving dots in bright colours are perfect. I ranked it at #10.
  • GBFGBF
    I had it at 4th place. It is very memorable and the dots are used in a very innovative way. Interesting that Dr No as the first Bond film is one place higher than the latest Bond film
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Even though I had the Binder’s titles for DN at 13 (my April 5th post was in error), there is no denying their influence…..

....see Our Man Flint (1965) and about a million other examples.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Binder's work inspired many others. Title sequences would never be the same again.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Onwards with our number 8:

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
    Main title sequence designed by
    ROBERT BROWNJOHN

frwl_c.jpg?k=c4fdf76bd7

The first of only two Robert Brownjohn title sequences that pops up in our countdown, FRWL turned out to be someone’s number one choice.

FRWL also turned up in eight more top 10’s: twice as both number 8 as well as number 10, and once as numbers 5, 6, 7 and 9.

Is there anyone who doesn’t like FRWL’s titles? Well, two members did rate it outside their top 20, giving FRWL a 21st and 22nd spot respectively.

In total FRWL’s main title sequence obtained 101 points.
    Amazing titles. I love the colourful words and names projected on the moving body.
    Number 8 is exactly where I have FRWL. Terrific titles, very unique, the use of the belly dancer was brilliant on Binders part, though you'd nearly have a seizure trying to read the words! But beautifully presented all the same! They were right not to use Munros theme with them, works better with just Barrys music!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Number 8 is exactly where I have FRWL. Terrific titles, very unique, the use of the belly dancer was brilliant on Binders part, though you'd nearly have a seizure trying to read the words! But beautifully presented all the same! They were right not to use Munros theme with them, works better with just Barrys music!
    Binder didn't do this one, @Mathis1. 😉 Brownjohn creates these titles.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Binder didn't do this one, @Mathis1. 😉 Brownjohn creates these titles.

Oops, my bad! Meant to write Brownjohn!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Almost in alignment with my ranking at #7. I love the dark shades of the imagery and how the casting information is revealed. It all feels so classic.
  • GBFGBF
    Had it at #8, too!!
    I’m one of the ‘bad people’ and had the titles for FRWL at number 21 (sorry folks!!!). It’s not that I don’t like them – I do…a lot. Its’ just that I find Brownjohn’s GF titles to be far better.

Back in 2012, as part of their James Bond 50th anniversary retrospective, the Museum of Modern Art here in New York, had a co-exhibit of Robert Brownjohn’s work. Among them…
    26247363054_fcfbc34655_z.jpg
    LetitbleedRS.jpg

Brownjohn was certainly a part of the ‘swingin’ scene in 1960s London.
    https://www.moma.org/artists/816
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    My number 10. In retrospect should have probably placed it a bit higher as it's truly a wonderful title sequence.
  • This one nearly made my top 10. A really innovative idea, and it plays brilliantly against Barry's From Russia with Love theme. The sequence is unique for how it plays with the appearance and movement of the text itself. For perhaps the only time in the series, the words truly became a part of the art themselves.
    Good point about the words becoming art. It soznds like a simple idea: project the words on a dancing body. Nothing more...but it works brilliant. I like it a lot and ranked it at 6.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I'm going to be in the minority and say I'm also not a big fan of these titles. It's an idea that's so simple that it becomes forgettable and I think that GF is where Brownjohn perfects the idea.
    Yes, GF reuses the idea but even improved it. The golden girl is perfect for the "projection".
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yes, GF reuses the idea but even improved it. The golden girl is perfect for the "projection".

Agreed. FRWL is fine, not great. Middle of the pack.
  • This is my #1 title sequence. Simple, seductive, and flies by quickly to Barry's excellent track.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    At number 007, we have:

SKYFALL
    Main title sequence designed by
    DANIEL KLEINMAN

s_c.jpg?k=e1ae1a24f6

Kleinman’s second Craig outing received one gold medal, two bronze medals, one 4th and one 5th place.

It also obtained no less than three 9th places and one 10th place.

Three members rated it lower than 20th, resulting in one 23rd and two 24th spots. The latter being its lowest score.

SF’s main title sequence acquired 101 points in total. That’s the same as FRWL, but SF wins the toss-up because it had more top 5 spots.
    edited April 2022 Posts: 4,395
    I gave SF the bronze medal. I love it how the end of the PTS is combined with title sequence. There is a lot of great stuff going on in this sequence. We see many elements of the movie without spoiling anything (imo). The use of Bond's family home makes sense for me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm one of two who ranked it at 24th, so who's the other? It's sharp looking but this was the start of the turn in Kleinman's work where I'm absolutely not interested in what he's going for. If I had ranked these alongside the songs, it would've been way higher because Adele's track is one of the finest of the era, but as the sequence stands alone, it's one of my least favorite.
  • GBFGBF
    Had it at 13. It is actually very well made. I just find that they go too much into the film's details instead of focusing on one particular element....
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited April 2022 Posts: 2,161
    It would have made high teens for me, for reasons I already stated.
    GBF wrote: »
    It is actually very well made. I just find that they go too much into the film's details instead of focusing on one particular element....

Exactly.
    I had the titles for SF at number 4.

One of my criteria for Kleinman’s work is whether or not – after I’ve seen the movie – I seek out “bootleg” versions of it on YouTube! A really good title sequence should (IMO) get you excited to see the film again, and his work on CR, SF and NTTD met that criteria for me.

After I first saw SF, I was obsessed and would watch a poor-quality version of the titles that someone had uploaded to YouTube until I could see the movie again. Even when I don’t have the time to watch the actual film, an excellent musical score or title sequence helps me (or should) mentally replay the mood of a film and its' major plot points.

My two cents, anyway.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited April 2022 Posts: 3,390
    It's my favorite title sequence, it's beautiful. David Kleinman's work here was really great, and the way it fits with Adele's song it's haunting, it's full of darkness and the theme of it being about death, it's amazing.
    I had it at #1.