Quick Big Mi6 Title Sequence Ranking Game

Comments

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I had it in third, and I'm surprised it's done this well given the inexplicable hate it tends to get.

I like the little gunbarrel effect they put on every letter "o", I love the pace of it, it's great. I even prefer this pseudo-gunbarrel to the one in CR.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Oh, didn't know that the title cards were also done by MK12. I'm a big fan of those title cards.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @ProfJoeButcher . Much of the 'hate' for QoS's titles comes down to the theme song IMO. Now in an alternative universe.....

• BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I think it's excellent. Top Ten.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    At number 12, we have:

LIVE AND LET DIE
    Main title sequence designed by
    MAURICE BINDER

lald_c.jpg?k=458d6ea6aa

Our voodoo-themed Roger Moore debut was awarded two bronze medals, while it also finished 5th, 6th and 7th twice; and 8th and 10th once.

Its lowest finish was one 25th place. It also ended up 23rd twice, giving it three bottom 5’s.

LALD’s main title sequence obtained a total of 96 points.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I must admit that I ranked this one rather low. I like the fires and the skulls but I find the sequence lacking in charm.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited March 2022 Posts: 2,015
    #7 for me.
    It has in my opinion the best transition from PTS to TS in the whole series and apart from the section where the woman silhouette does weird motions with her hands, I love everything about this sequence.
    The jump cuts from the women's faces to the skulls gave me the heebie-jeebies as a kid, further contributing to this sequence's uniqueness.
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    #7 here too, and #1 Maurice Binder work in my ranking.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    #8 for me, I love this one a lot. As has been said, it has a wonderful transition and is packed with some excellent imagery and colors throughout.
    I can understand the love for this one. The voodoo theme is fitting and it is unique. (Not interchangeable like some of the later Binder titles). I love the song but was surprised that the sequence didn't stand out that much without the song. I ranked it as #18.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Number 6 for me. I can only echo many of the points made by @R1s1ngs0n, but it gets LALD off to a great start. Top tier Binder.
    Intresting that some of you mention the transition from PTS to the title sequence: While I absolutley love some transitions like the ones in TWINE, SF and NTTD, the transition in LALD never stood out for me. I even had to check again what exactly the transition was...
    Intresting that some of you mention the transition from PTS to the title sequence: While I absolutley love some transitions like the ones in TWINE, SF and NTTD, the transition in LALD never stood out for me. I even had to check again what exactly the transition was...
    To be honest, that transition is really most effective when accompanied by the music… that long descending note (Snakebit) that segues into the first note of the title song as Binder’s torches appear. Really ominous.
    I gave it the bronze medal. Love these titles! Am surprised its so low? Yes, with the awsome theme song accompaniment, it soars, but I still think it has wonderful images, stylish colours, and at least Binder does do justice to the Voodoo theme!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    23rd for me. Nothing special compared to so many of the others.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    I must admit that I ranked this one rather low. I like the fires and the skulls but I find the sequence lacking in charm.

I did not have this one ranked all that high myself. I enjoy the skull and the flames as well, but there are also some imperfect visual effects going on and I never got how that fluorescent, anemone-like toy pictured above was supposed to fit in. The red flames do go great with the song though.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I did not have this one ranked all that high myself. I enjoy the skull and the flames as well, but there are also some imperfect visual effects going on and I never got how that fluorescent, anemone-like toy pictured above was supposed to fit in. The red flames do go great with the song though.

Yes that thing is so odd. Maybe he thought: "Let's try something...oh look what my niece forgot at our home. This is good enough for my 15 seconds gap..."
    Most unappropriate feature in a title sequence?

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Next time, it’s top 10 time, but first our honourable mention, at number 11:

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
    Main title sequence designed by
    MAURICE BINDER

yolt_c.jpg?k=3942d004de

YOLT’s main titles collected two medals: a silver and a bronze one. There were also two 5th, one 6th and two 8th places.

Two rankings occurred three times for YOLT, 12th and 23rd, the latter also being the lowest ranking for YOLT’s volcano eruption spectacle.

The main title sequence of YOLT obtained a total of 97 points.
    It's not without its flaws, but it does have impressive images to show. The vulcano effect are pretty cool.
    Silver for me. There are certainly more technically impressive title sequences but this one just ticks all boxes for me, with its beautiful imagery, warm color palette and stylized font… and coupled with the best title song it’s just pure bliss.
    Another close one for me at #12. Some of the visuals are better than others - once again, I dig the usage of colors here.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    5th spot for me. Beautiful visuals, lovely use of colour and ticks all the right boxes for a great Bond title sequence.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Another close one for me at #12. Some of the visuals are better than others - once again, I dig the usage of colors here.

We re in sync here.
    edited April 2022 Posts: 4,394
    I expected it would end in the top 10. But I also ranked it a bit lower: #13.
    I like it a lot but my favourite moment is the transition at the end, where the mountain is then identical with the opening shot of the harbour.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

We re in sync here.

I love when that happens.
    Doesn't do a whole lot for me! I had YOLT at 23, its a bit static and dull, only so many shots of lava you can take!!!
    Yes, the theme song is fabulous, but we're not judging the titles with it!
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Doesn't do a whole lot for me! I had YOLT at 23, its a bit static and dull, only so many shots of lava you can take!!!
    Yes, the theme song is fabulous, but we're not judging the titles with it!

Yeah, I had it in the twenties somewhere too. It's pretty repetitive, and I just find it kind of ugly and technically messy.
    edited April 2022 Posts: 2,015
    So the top 10 will consist of the following:
    DN
    FRWL
    GF
    TB
    OHMSS
    TSWLM
    GE
    CR '06
    SF
    NTTD

8 out of my top 10 are still in the race.
    The two that didn’t make it finished 11th and 12th so not too shabby 😃
    7 of mine are still there, so not too bad!
    I still have 7 horses in the race too.