Quick Big Mi6 Title Sequence Ranking Game

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Close enough. I had this one at 15.

I rather like this sequence. It basically tells the story that takes place between PTS and film. These titles go remarkably well with the song too, which is a surprise given how "speshul" Madonna's song is. In a way, Kleinman made Madonna's song better, or at least better suited for the film.
  • GBFGBF
    Not a fan. I gave it the 25th place... Maybe I am a bit biased by the bad song but I am also not a fan of any Kind of torture visuals...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Not too far off, just made my Top 10. Not a big fan of the scruffy CGI work but it's a wildly unique title sequence and it's not often we get the song and sequence weaved into Bond enduring horrendous torture over a 14 month period. I dig it.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    The CGI IS scruffy, isn't it? It is unique though, and I like it well enough, but only at number 17. I don't want to go to the trouble of finding/posting an image, but this is another one where Kleinman's text spacing is so bad it looks like a formatting mistake at times.
    The CGI IS scruffy, isn't it? It is unique though, and I like it well enough, but only at number 17. I don't want to go to the trouble of finding/posting an image, but this is another one where Kleinman's text spacing is so bad it looks like a formatting mistake at times.

I've never really thought about the text placement in any given title sequence until I've seen you guys mentioning it here over the past couple of days. Now I see what you mean.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    One away. I had DAD in 15th spot.
    I quite like how the titles show Bond captured, tortured and in an unseen position.
    I also like that it is part of the story. Unique in the series.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I've never really thought about the text placement in any given title sequence until I've seen you guys mentioning it here over the past couple of days. Now I see what you mean.

The producer credit is one of the weird ones....
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    One of the few that are truly unique. I love it, and had it at no 6.
    No. 16 for me! Best thing about the worst movie! I personally dont like the use of live action, and hope Kleinman doesnt repeat it. But it does have some strong images, the use of the scorpions, the lava women etc!

It's very refreshing in that regard, like the incredible CR title sequence.

Yes, that is another one. And FYEO.

Yes, that is another one. And FYEO.

FYEO is one of my favourites!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Yes, the DAD titles are very refreshing, especially the beginning. I watched DAD a few days ago and was surprised again how much I like the title sequence. The best thing apart from the sword fight and one of my favourite titles: I was maybe a bit too kind with the 4th place but it is without a doubt in my top ten.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I love those titles, and most of the first chunk of the film.
  • Had this one higher myself. It's definitely one of the most inventive title sequences as far as the storytelling goes. The CGI may be imperfect, but it's still a visual treat and it really does go surprisingly well with Madonna's song. The scorpions, the ice-water torture, the electricity. It's pretty cool actually how they were able to imply so much about the torture Bond endures through just the title sequence. And, perfectly incidentally, it shares a theme of fire and ice with the titles of AVTAK.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Our number 15:

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
    Main title sequence designed by
    MAURICE BINDER

fyeo_c.jpg?k=bf60bbc4cf

The only title sequence to feature its singer, Sheena Easton in this case, ends on top of its 80’s contemporaries and just manages to squeeze into our top 15.

FYEO’s best ratings were one 4th, two 5th, one 8th and two 9th places. Two bottom 5’s were also noted: one penultimate place and one 23rd spot.

In total FYEO’s main title sequence received 81 points.
    edited March 2022 Posts: 40,373
    Easton's constant presence ruins this one a lot of the time for me, causing it to come in at 22nd in my ranking. I love FYEO as a film but with a stronger PTS and a better title sequence, it'd be even better. It's a catchy song that's grown on me over the years, at least!
    edited March 2022 Posts: 1,665
    I can not believe Diamonds Are Forever has not come up yet.
  • GBFGBF
    I had it sonewhere in the middle. For some reason I Like Easton in the titles. I would not want to have the singer included in general but here it works for whatever reason...

I am surprised that QoS does so well ...
    Oh this is disappointing!
    I had FYEO at 5! I think its one of Binders best! The colours are gorgeous and it matches the song very well. I dont mind Sheena appearing at all, Binder blends her into the images seamlessly!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I had this one at #4! It is truly a delicious "music video" from back when those had just started to be made. Sheena Easton is ravishingly beautiful; she injects this sequence with charm and grace. I absolutely love how Binder blended all the visuals together like a colourful ballet. This is one of his very best, IMO. I'm actually quite sad to see it leave so soon.
    It's a good title sequence now, but originally it was awful. Binder's ego was too big.

0y43MzY.png
    Number 5 for me, I love the colours and the underwater stuff. Quite liked Sheena’s appearance too, it’s unique touch to this title sequence.
    What other singers could have worked within the title sequence? Maybe Nancy Sinatra, Sheryl Crow and Shirley Manson. But Sheena was the one Binder fell in love with, so that is that.
    What other singers could have worked within the title sequence? Maybe Nancy Sinatra, Sheryl Crow and Shirley Manson. But Sheena was the one Binder fell in love with, so that is that.

Of the ones you name, definitely Shirley Manson could have worked!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Of the ones you name, definitely Shirley Manson could have worked!

Yes, she could have been a dancing, singing sexy silhouette, coming out of the shadow and towards the camera towards the end- like Craig in the CR sequence.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Sorry, I ranked it very low, out of the top 20. I could have been a bit more generous but it's definitely not a sequence I like much. The idea to incorporate the singer doesn't work for me.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    I had the title sequence for FYEO at number 9 – I really like it and Sheena Easton’s presence was a nice touch IMO. And in keeping with @DarthDimi remarks, IIRC, the late 1970s/early 1980s marked the beginnings of music videos as a “stand alone” artform (as opposed to the promotional films of the 1960s/early 1970s) with direction and visuals on a par with actual feature films. In fact, one could argue that many of Binder’s earlier titles work as proto music videos!

In any case, at least Michael Wilson didn’t offer Ms. Easton a role in FYEO as a fencing instructor or something!
    I can not believe Diamonds Are Forever has not come up yet.

....the world's kitty cats have hacked the voting :))
    Dwayne wrote: »
    In any case, at least Michael Wilson didn’t offer Ms. Easton a role in FYEO as a fencing instructor or something!

Ice skate instructor might have been an option for this particular film ;)

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I had FYEO at 14th. I like the uniqueness of having Sheena Easton appear on screen.
    It worked well with the visuals. At least dear old Maurice Binder was trying something different.