Quick Big Mi6 Title Sequence Ranking Game

Comments

I feel like TB is the title sequence most other Bond films try to imitate and live up to but come up short. The female silhouette creation and lovely variety of colors makes it utterly fabulous and it's hard to deny its place as one of the greatest if not #1.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited May 2022 Posts: 2,161
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I feel like TB is the title sequence most other Bond films try to imitate and live up to but come up short. The female silhouette creation and lovely variety of colors makes it utterly fabulous and it's hard to deny its place as one of the greatest if not #1.

That’s pretty much it spot on. Binder should have tried to go in different and far out directions after this, but what we mostly got was a series of lessening imitations (of course he could still strike gold occasionally, per TSWLM). Kleinman gave us a much needed rethinking of the possibilities. And I’ve always had my issues with use of CGI, but a Title Sequence is the ideal place to exploit that medium.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 6,844
    I had OHMSS at 19. I love the image of the Union Jack in the hourglass, but the effects work and overall execution is pretty uneven here. As others have noted, some of the chosen images are pretty random (nameless YOLT assassin?). The black and white stripes and switch to a lurid green background were also strange choices. I do love the opening silhouette of Bond running toward the hourglass and hanging from the clock hand, but I can't deny my favorite thing about these titles is the main theme by Barry.

I was the gold medal for Skyfall, btw. Brilliant titles. They're a visual feast on par with Deakins' cinematography. I understand some don't like the titles covering so many different concepts from the film, but this was the first time they had done that and I thought it was done brilliantly and tastefully here. The journey through the graveyard, the swooping Macau dragons, the Rorschach imagery, the apocalyptic meteors raining down destroying everything, the zoom into Bond's eye... These are the coolest, most evocative titles yet in my opinion.
  • GBFGBF
    edited May 2022 Posts: 3,195
    Sorry Folks. I am the one to blame since I had it in 23rd place. There are some nice moments but I am not a fan of the hour glass idea. And using old and random footage from the Connery films doesn't make much sense to me. The main theme of this film should have been snow and mountains. Instead Binder tried to include the themes "time" and "HMSS" in the sequence just to refer to the title track and the Louis Armstrong Song. I love the film but the titles not so very much ..
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited May 2022 Posts: 2,625
    I actually like the OHMSS title themes of “time” and “honor and country” and had it ranked 5th.

As for the random images from prior films, I think that they were a means to connect OHMSS with those films. “Don’t worry folks, the new actor is still the same character!” - which would have been a major concern to EON back in 1969 as it was the first time, they had ever recast Bond. After five recastings (soon to be six) over the decades, we’re now used to it; audiences back in 1969, probably not so much IMO. Plus, seeing Akiko Wakabayashi’s smile from YOLT is always welcome!

Viewed today - for me - it passes my primary test: If I see the OHMSS titles on YouTube does it excite me to see the film? Yes, it does!

Of course, what does it matter what I think? I'm the guy who tried to talk Selznick out of doing "Gone with the Wind"! **
    ** bonus points for naming the film this quote is taken from 😊!

PS. Binder seems to have kept his sound stage nice and cold! =))
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Now we’re really getting closer to the top, in at number 5:

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME
    Main title sequence designed by
    MAURICE BINDER

tswlm_c.jpg?k=1a23b73d4d

Two silver medals were noted for the highest ranked title sequence of the Moore years. The other top 10 rankings were one 4th, one 5th, one 6th, one 8th, one 9th and one 10th place.

One member placed TSWLM 25th, making it the only top 5 entry that received a bottom 3 finish.

In total the main title sequence of TSWLM obtained 105 points.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2022 Posts: 40,469
    Pretty close for me at #6. It's another one I love, the variation of colors, some of the military-like imagery (like that bottom left shot). The Bond girl aerobatics off the weapons is an interesting touch but doesn't always work for me (not always the biggest fan of the trampoline-type high flying and movement in any given PTS).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am not a big fan, but I do love the colours, and it is cool seeing Roger there.
    It was the only time I saw a sold out audience laughing along with the titles. #4 for me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A great one, this. I love Moore in it. Lovely ballet.
    I had it at number 9. Enjoyable and Binder at his cheekiest. Love the Naked lady in the Russian Sailor hat, and Rog pushing over, domino like, the same! Nice fade in too, with the hands around the Union Jack parachute!
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Number 4 for me. One of the greats, for all the reasons mentioned earlier.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited May 2022 Posts: 14,875
    I had TSWLM at number 2. It very nearly took the top spot for me.
    It's got all the right elements to make a classic Bond title sequence. Brilliant stuff.

Edit - So that leaves GF, TB, GE and CR left. Is that right?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    "Ooh bit of nipple."
    "Ooh bit o'bush."
    "Walking on top of a gun-- completely billy bollocks."
    "One more big swing from a woman. Legs go right up-- oh, what was that-- too late!"
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    "Ooh bit of nipple."
    "Ooh bit o'bush."
    "Walking on top of a gun-- completely billy bollocks."
    "One more big swing from a woman. Legs go right up-- oh, what was that-- too late!"

Haha, I was about to write the only thing better than TSWLM's title sequence is Alan Partridge's commentary of it.

I had this at #11. Lovely combinations of blues and reds to go with both the Union Jack and Bond's alliance with a Russian agent. It goes superbly with Simon's song too. Binder really came out blazing with this title sequence. It's as iconic as any of them.
    Benny wrote: »
    I had TSWLM at number 2. It very nearly took the top spot for me.
    It's got all the right elements to make a classic Bond title sequence. Brilliant stuff.

Edit - So that leaves GF, TB, GE and CR left. Is that right?

Correct!
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I had it relatively low, at 14. I get nitpicky about these sequences sometimes, and occasional inexplicable technical flaws always gnaw at me. Early on in this one, you have a silhouette disappear suddenly, and I am always put off by the way the first four words of the title appear at a regular rhythm, and then "ME" comes in noticeably late. It's very weird. Like it was timed to a different song where the title was sung there at that rhythm...
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited May 2022 Posts: 4,397
    @ProfJoeButcher It is always a joy to read your thoughts, which are often completely different to the majority. Honestly, I never realized what you describe about the TSWLM titles. Your focus is often on the appearence of the words which is something I usually don't care that much. However, interesting to focus about it next time.
    I ranked TSWLM as #11. A very good sequence with a lot of new and creative ideas. I like it that Moore is a part of the titles.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited May 2022 Posts: 1,690
    @ProfJoeButcher It is always a joy to read your thoughts, which are often completely different to the majority. Honestly, I never realized what you describe about the TSWLM titles. Your focus is often on the appearence of the words which is something I usually don't care that much. However, interesting to focus about it next time.
    I ranked TSWLM as #11. A very good sequence with a lot of new and creative ideas. I like it that Moore is a part of the titles.

That's very kind of you! Sincere thanks!

I'm sure my comment sounded a little OCD or something, but I used to be a kind of a nerd about design, and I do tend to notice text stuff too much. I don't remember what my other comment was, but it was probably about spacing in some of David Arnold's titles. :))

This is a great sequence though. I honestly like pretty much all of them apart from Octopussy. And TB and GE are in my top four, like everyone else, apparently! ;)
    Coming closer to our podium, we first say goodbye to our number 4:

GOLDFINGER
    ROBERT BROWNJOHN

g_c.jpg?k=7d46a617ad

With both FRWL and GF in the top 10, Brownjohn scores a perfect 2 out of 2, even though only one member rated one of his sequences as his/her favourite.

And that wasn’t GF, whose highest rating was one second place, making GF the highest-rated entry without a gold medal.

Still though, GF remains very popular with two 4th places, three 5th places, three 7th places and one 8th place.

With a single 24th place, GF is also the highest-ranked entry with a bottom 5 finish.

GF’s main title sequence received a total of 109 points.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    4th is also where I ranked it. This one is top notch.
    It's another great one, this. I'm quite frankly surprised that TB will finish above GF.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    edited May 2022 Posts: 2,017
    5th for me. Iconic, like every other part of this movie but the decision to project the helicopter scene from FRWL is a little odd in my opinion.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 6,813
    I had GF at no. 2. Very slick and sharp, I love the imagery here, and the cheekiness ( the golf ball going into the cleavage!!) and the macabre, the revolving number plates as the models mouth! Having just seen it on the big screen, its enhanced even more! Excellent title sequence!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    5th for me. Iconic, like every other part of this movie but the decision to project the helicopter scene from FRWL is a little odd in my opinion.

Same here. 5th. Great, just great.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I had it at 7th. It's still top 10 worthy. It has those iconic projections used so well. But just personally it doesn't make the top cut for me.
    Still great title work though from Robert Brownjohn.
  • I had this about the middle of the pack and just behind Dr. No's, though in hindsight I might flip the two. I love the contrast of gold with the pure black background. There's something that feels both elegant and dangerous about the color combo, and it all goes great with Bassey's song. I do prefer Brownjohn's titles for FRWL, and as with some of the choices for OHMSS's titles the use of footage from FRWL stands out here, as you say, @R1s1ngs0n. But this is one classy title sequence all around.
    Only one reveal after this one, but for now it’s time for our bronze medalist:

THUNDERBALL
    MAURICE BINDER

t_c.jpg?k=c8d3c79012

The highest-ranked of the Binder/Brownjohn era, TB remains a clear favourite, even though it got outranked by two Kleinman efforts.

TB obtained two gold medals, three silvers and two bronzes. There was also a 4th, a 6th, a 7th and a 10th place finish to be noted.

Furthermore, it ended up in everyone’s top 15, with a single 15th place finish as its lowest score.

With a total of 126 points TB’s main title sequence claims the title of best-liked pre-1990 title sequence.
    edited May 2022 Posts: 2,161
    Had I voted, this would have been number one. I think it’s perfect. The two remaining are my two and three, so I’m pretty happy with how it ended up.
    I am so glad my number 1 and 2 are still in the running. As for TB, yes, it is a great sequence, though I like it less than FRWL, GF and OHMSS, to name a few. But I still welcome Binder's second effort in the top 3.