No Time To Die: Why It Should Not Have Been Made (The Way It Was)

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,526
    chrisisall wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Forget it, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, it's Chinatown the why NTTD should not have been made thread.

Hey Nick, you're a nosey guy. ;)

It's crappy. It's brilliant. It's crappy. It's brilliant. It's crappy AND it's brilliant!

You just described every Bond film ever made according to the collective consciousness of MI6.

One man's Goldfinger is another man's A View To A Kill.

Or you could love them both like me x)

I actually enjoy AVTAK a good bit; I was spitballin'.
    I think it's funny that there's no Bond movie that's universally hated on here. I'll bet there's even a fan or two for CR'67.....

I think in the last Bond Film Elimination Game, our beloved Spectre was out before CR'67? ;)

I know it was out before one of the filthy non-officals, not sure which.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Thinking about it, James Bond died in CR '67, too. Several of them, actually...
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Forget it, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, it's Chinatown the why NTTD should not have been made thread.

Hey Nick, you're a nosey guy. ;)

It's crappy. It's brilliant. It's crappy. It's brilliant. It's crappy AND it's brilliant!

You just described every Bond film ever made according to the collective consciousness of MI6.

One man's Goldfinger is another man's A View To A Kill.

"Today, we make microchips from silicon, which is common sand, but far better than gold." ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'll bet there's even a fan or two for CR'67.....

Actually, I quite enjoy CR'67.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'll bet there's even a fan or two for CR'67.....

Actually, I quite enjoy CR'67.

Mata Bond is SO hot!!!!
    To me it seems like it’s the Barbara Broccoli Bonds that get the most stick on here, while the Cubby years are generally looked at more favourably.

And why is that, do you think, Hm? Dare I suggest "sexist, misogynist dinosaurs"?

Either that, or maybe, just maybe, he produced better films than his daughter (shock, horror!)

I think they’ve both produced some very good and very bad films, Bond has always been very hit and miss. Barbara’s just been unfortunate enough to have her run coincide with the age of the internet. If this site existed in Cubby’s day then I think the likes of TMWTGG and MR would have drawn just as much vitrol as DAD used to do. People have just calmed down about those ones now, and the bad stuff that at the time would’ve seemed like an affront to the legacy of the series has since become part of that legacy. The same will happen with Bond dying. New fans who grew up with that as part of the series won’t care because to them that’s how it’s always been, and even the older fans will move on to talking about the new films once they come out. So, eventually the dust will settle, there’ll be new stuff to get angry over or passionately defend depending on your perspective, and we’ll have people saying Barbara produced better films than Gregg, and that NTTD really isn’t that bad compared to Bond 47.

Yes good point. I think DAF would have been crucified if the internet existed back then.

Don't be too sure. While DAF is looked down upon these days - especially from the revisionists who use it as a scapegoat for not being the hoped-for revenge follow-up to OHMSS - it was quite the hit and even got decent critical notices. People just loved having Connery back in the shoulder holster. I'm sure there were a few hardcore fans who were appalled, but overall it was popular. The first-ever issue of 007 Magazine had an article on DAF being named the James Bond Fan Club's favorite film in a poll.

You'd have likely found more scorn for Lazenby and OHMSS and what mistakes they were, scattered with why Burt Reynolds should be the next Bond threads.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    To me it seems like it’s the Barbara Broccoli Bonds that get the most stick on here, while the Cubby years are generally looked at more favourably.

And why is that, do you think, Hm? Dare I suggest "sexist, misogynist dinosaurs"?

Either that, or maybe, just maybe, he produced better films than his daughter (shock, horror!)

I think they’ve both produced some very good and very bad films, Bond has always been very hit and miss. Barbara’s just been unfortunate enough to have her run coincide with the age of the internet. If this site existed in Cubby’s day then I think the likes of TMWTGG and MR would have drawn just as much vitrol as DAD used to do. People have just calmed down about those ones now, and the bad stuff that at the time would’ve seemed like an affront to the legacy of the series has since become part of that legacy. The same will happen with Bond dying. New fans who grew up with that as part of the series won’t care because to them that’s how it’s always been, and even the older fans will move on to talking about the new films once they come out. So, eventually the dust will settle, there’ll be new stuff to get angry over or passionately defend depending on your perspective, and we’ll have people saying Barbara produced better films than Gregg, and that NTTD really isn’t that bad compared to Bond 47.

Yes good point. I think DAF would have been crucified if the internet existed back then.

Don't be too sure. While DAF is looked down upon these days - especially from the revisionists who use it as a scapegoat for not being the hoped-for revenge follow-up to OHMSS - it was quite the hit and even got decent critical notices. People just loved having Connery back in the shoulder holster. I'm sure there were a few hardcore fans who were appalled, but overall it was popular. The first-ever issue of 007 Magazine had an article on DAF being named the James Bond Fan Club's favorite film in a poll.

You'd have likely found more scorn for Lazenby and OHMSS and what mistakes they were, scattered with why Burt Reynolds should be the next Bond threads.

As an 11 year old I found DAF to be enthralling. As my first Bond movie, I still love it to this day, warts & all.
  • I’m also somebody who loved DAF so much at a young age. Now I’m one of those folks who finds the film to be a huge missed opportunity on so many levels, but will still laugh and get a giggle out of it anytime I watch it.
    I actually think the two Blofelds scene is great. That's what I got from it last time I watched it, anyways.

As an 11 year old I found DAF to be enthralling. As my first Bond movie, I still love it to this day, warts & all.

I saw it 50 years ago this month as a 5-year-old and left an impression on me. Although I'd been to some of the rereleases, this was my first first-release Bond film. Went with my mom and uncle on a Sunday afternoon and they took my dad back the next night. I recall standing outside the old-style cinema staring at that poster with Bond and the girls on the moon buggy and all that action surrounding it.

While I'll admit it isn't the best film and can understand while others don't dig it, that doesn't stop DAF from being special to me, as you said, warts and all.

I saw it 50 years ago this month as a 5-year-old and left an impression on me. Although I'd been to some of the rereleases, this was my first first-release Bond film. Went with my mom and uncle on a Sunday afternoon and they took my dad back the next night. I recall standing outside the old-style cinema staring at that poster with Bond and the girls on the moon buggy and all that action surrounding it.

While I'll admit it isn't the best film and can understand while others don't dig it, that doesn't stop DAF from being special to me, as you said, warts and all.

We REACH! B-)
  • Jimjambond wrote: »
    I have no time for the last 2 Bond films. They're highbrow bullshit.

Can I ask why you think this about the last two but not QoS or SF?

I'm going to expand a little on why I feel the way I do. SP and NTTD had the biggest gaps between films of tge Craig era and by default had a longer preproduction period. You'd think after more than 50 years they'd utilise a more efficient approach with their time and yet, we get, what is in my opinion, films that are insincere to the character of Bond in general and the world they established in the Craig era. This obsession with casting Oscar winners as villains and abandoning the core concepts of what makes Bond interesting in the first place is tedious. The naval gazing, the sloppy approach in trying to convince audiences they're watching high art is laughable and a testament to the confused and indecisiveness of the era. Since SF the Bond films seemingly take an approach where they can produce whatever bs they like and audiences will flock to it...and so far they're not wrong. Still, just because audiences show up to the rubbish they've given us doesn't excuse that tge last 2 Bond films have been huge disappointments (regardless if I'm in the minority with my opinion).
    QoS to me is probably the most pretentious film of the series, and that’s why I‘ve never liked it. I’ve always found that film to be the absolute definition of style (when they’re not cutting every two seconds and you can actually see what’s going on) over substance. A glossy perfume advert sort of aesthetic trying to cover up the lack of a script, poorly edited chase scenes that exist solely to represent the elements or whatever it was. Not a fan.

You make some valid points but QoS at least is a film that knows what it is and sets out a clear goal which it achieves. It's certainly a very stylish film and probably the most stylish of the Craig era which isn't a bad thing. However, unlike the 3 films that came after it, especially in the case of SP and NTTD, QoS not only had a writers strike but the preproduction process was super rushed. Outside of the film's editing QoS' issues are at least understandable and yet, the film remains a far more compelling and in many ways makes more sense than the 3 films that succeed it.
    And SF, while brilliant, still had something slightly smug about it in my mind. That Tenyson scene, and “an exploding pen? We don’t really go for that sort of thing anymore”. As someone who’s quite fond of exploding pens, that annoyed me.
    I don't have any issues with what you've mentioned here. For me they work fine as there's a tonal consistency that makes these specific components credible. I can't say the same for SP and NTTD though. Retroactively, the line about exploding pens is ruined as SP strangely undoes some of the things SF set up. We now get an exploding watch and Bond's relevance is once again called into question despite Dench's M point being proved during the hearing/Tenyson moment.
    But then we did get an exploding watch. And gadget filled Astons and secret bases and all the rest of it. The last two felt much less ashamed of being Bond films to me, basically. They kept what was great about Craig’s first few, while bringing back the fun campy stuff and old iconography that they’d so self consciously gutted.

The problem with this is, for the most part it just didn't work. To me, it lacked authenticity and created a tonal clash. I'm all for development...whenvand where it makes sense and doesn't seem out of character but SP and NTTD failed here.
    That’s why I enjoyed them so much. I guess I can kind of see where you’re coming from, because they are still quite emotionally and thematically heavy, in that Craig era way. But no moreso than his other films, and “highbrow bullshit” seems a bit of an unfair label to me when we’re talking about a film with bionic eyes, naff puns and nanobot doomsday weapons. I’ve had a ridiculous amount of fun with the last two personally.

I'm glad you and others have enjoyed these last couple of outings. I'm yet to meet a Bond fan who has high praise for all 25 Bond films. The weight of the emotional and thematic components, combined with the more traditional elements is something I feel SP was close to pulling off but it dropped the ball. Personally, I feel the Craig era, as it's a more isolated Bond arc should have tonally hovered consistently between CR and SF.

I like Craig as Bond and on account of his first 3 Bond films alone he ranks my 2nd favourite Bond but his last 2 films were epic disappointments for me and I'm eager though slightly concerned to see where they go next with the actor #7.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Everyone, how do you feel about the NTTD epilogue compared to the other epilogues? @GoldenGun will soon be hosting a great ranking game for these. Please visit this thread for the list, or find it here:
    DN: after Crab Key blows up.
    FRWL: Venice section.
    GF: post-Fort Knox scenes.
    TB: after the Disco has blown up.
    CR67: all Bonds in heaven/hell.
    YOLT: after the volcano eruption.
    OHMSS: marriage and tragic ending.
    DAF: La Bombe Surprise.
    LALD: train scenes.
    TMWTGG: junk scenes.
    TSWLM: after Atlantis has been destroyed.
    MR: attempting re-entry.
    FYEO: the PM gets the bird and moonlight swim.
    OP: after Kamal’s demise.
    NSNA: Bond in retirement and Small-Fawcett visit.
    AVTAK: post-Golden Gate Bridge scenes.
    TLD: Kara’s concert.
    LTK: party at the Sanchez villa.
    GE: after the satellite dish explosion.
    TND: M’s memo and Bond staying undercover.
    TWINE: premature millennium bug and Christmas in Turkey.
    DAD: Moneypenny goes virtual while Bond and Jinx relax surrounded by diamonds.
    CR: post-Vesper’s death.
    QOS: Kazan scenes.
    SF: Bond at MI6.
    SP: getting the DB5 and driving off with Madeleine.
    NTTD: everything after you-know-what.

Simply rank them, PM your choices to @GoldenGun and keep an eye out for the new thread! Thanks.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited January 2022 Posts: 1,430
    Well it certainly attempted to provide more emotional, permanent and physical purpose to the Bond character than most of the Fleming novels ever did, in leaving behind a happy? and safe? child with a sure shot at a life-long modeling career.
  • I wanted the movie to end different, so he and madeleine could drove off with their child, i only think that the end makes alot disapointed. He did a brillant acting in this movie, and i really wanted him to do Bond 26.
    It would have been alright if he had survived but had amnesia and forgot about Madeleine and Mathilde. It would have been kind of symbolic of all the “families” Bond probably has out in the world with all these Bond women, but don’t exist in Bond’s consciousness.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think Bond could have survived the movie and then confessed to Madeleine that he'd had dozens of women in his bed before, so that she, utterly repulsed, could divorce him and take the child with her. He'd then be free to kiss kiss bang bang another day.
    I finally saw the film and I'm torn. There's a lot to like and a lot to dislike.

Good:
    • The story has some interesting components like the nanobots and I like that there is a lot going on
    • Ana de Armas was super fun; gorgeous, relaxed, cute, her character served a purpose,she and her scene were highlights
    • Jeffrey Wright coming back was nice and at least he got to do something during the film that served a purpose
    • Craig was game and it's nice to see a Bond actor go out on his own liking, with seemingly (too) much control
    • I still like this Q, M, and Moneypenny; too bad this is it for them
    • I liked that they at least tried to make it a classic kind of Bondian adventure, with an island lair, hints of Flemming material we haven't seen on film (poisoned garden, choking Blofield, etc)

Bad:
    • The film looked generic and amateurish at times; cinematography was meh
    • The tone was all over the place; it's obvious the director has limited experience
    • The Nomi character was an insufferable b*tch the entire film; I absolutely hated her because all she did was piss on other characters and act like she was God's greatest gift to the universe but at least Bond gave it back to her most of the time and didn't sit back and take it like a p*ssy
    • Bond and Madeleine's relationship was so painfully forced at times it was difficult to watch and I felt like just fast forwarding passed it; they have virtually no chemistry, no reason to be together, there was nothing at all worthwhile going on
    • The story was intriguing but the dialogue was horrible overall; "You have to get over her, even if it's hard." You were right. It was hard." OMG. Really, Craig? You read those lines and were okay with them being in your movie?!? Unreal...
    • Implying that Q was gay... what did that accomplish, exactly? So stupid....
    • The deaths were somewhat earned, in that Leiter at least put Bond in a position to save the world; Blofeld dying? Who cares? Bond's death was the single dumbest thing I've ever seen in my film-watching life
  • GBFGBF
    Or Bond survives and when they are back home, Madeleine tells him: you know, actually I wasn't joking. Mathilde is indeed not your daughter. The real father ist.... End credits
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I think Bond could have survived the movie and then confessed to Madeleine that he'd had dozens of women in his bed before, so that she, utterly repulsed, could divorce him and take the child with her. He'd then be free to kiss kiss bang bang another day.

Even then. When you have a child, you take one step further towards death, as Umberto Eco said.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    DarthDimi wrote: »

You never know, she might've said 'me too'.

ANd we'll leave it at that as this is a children-friendly board... :-D

Anyway, what I don't get is that people didn't have a problem with the 'reboot' CR 'it all starts' story, but hate the fact that it ends in NTTD. Basically, CR gave the opportunity to make a sort of conceptual framework in which all th Bond-stories are set between CR and NTTD, including the future ones. So I honenstly hope they won't come up with another reboot, but just a 'standard'Bond story like GE to introduce the new guy.

Sure, I lso left the cinema in shock, I hadn't seen it coming and was still reeling from Felix's death. (I was glad for Blofeld's, it symbolically killed the stepbrother angle too, thank you for that). But the end is fitting, its heroic, and works over the ages. I find it difficult to see that people judge a movie by one moment. OHMS isn't defined by Tracy's death either.
    And the other thing I don't get is that it seems those who were asking for more humour and gadgets are the same ones rooting against NTTD, even though it's the most 'classic' Bond-film of the Craig era with the most gadgets, humour and the lightest touch.
  • The_Reaper wrote: »
    The Nomi character was an insufferable b*tch the entire film; I absolutely hated her because all she did was piss on other characters and act like she was God's greatest gift to the universe but at least Bond gave it back to her most of the time and didn't sit back and take it like a p*ssy

The guy who said “this anti white male garbage deserves to fail” before he’d even seen the film found the black woman insufferable? Oh wow, what a surprise, didn’t see that coming.

Why are you wasting your time watching James Bond anyway mate? Shouldn’t you be prepping your doomsday bunker for when the “hordes of anti-whites” come for you?
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Implying that Q was gay... what did that accomplish, exactly? So stupid...

I think it achieved a lot. Added a bit more character to Q, and gave a brilliant actor who’s made the role his own a chance to bring a bit of his own identity to it, while simultaneously pissing off the tragic incel types and bitter old men who get irrationally angry over seeing anyone different to them on screen (remember everyone, straight white men are normal, but you need a good reason to include any other demographics or it’s “forced/pandering”). Loved it.
    The Nomi character was an insufferable b*tch the entire film; I absolutely hated her because all she did was piss on other characters and act like she was God's greatest gift to the universe but at least Bond gave it back to her most of the time and didn't sit back and take it like a p*ssy

The guy who said “this anti white male garbage deserves to fail” before he’d even seen the film found the black woman insufferable? Oh wow, what a surprise, didn’t see that coming.

Why are you wasting your time watching James Bond anyway mate? Shouldn’t you be prepping your doomsday bunker for when the “hordes of anti-whites” come for you?

I think it achieved a lot. Added a bit more character to Q, and gave a brilliant actor who’s made the role his own a chance to bring a bit of his own identity to it, while simultaneously pissing off the tragic incel types and bitter old men who get irrationally angry over seeing anyone different to them on screen (remember everyone, straight white men are normal, but you need a good reason to include any other demographics or it’s “forced/pandering”). Loved it.

+1, +1, +1.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I finally saw the film and I'm torn. There's a lot to like and a lot to dislike.

Good:
    • The story has some interesting components like the nanobots and I like that there is a lot going on
    • Ana de Armas was super fun; gorgeous, relaxed, cute, her character served a purpose,she and her scene were highlights
    • Jeffrey Wright coming back was nice and at least he got to do something during the film that served a purpose
    • Craig was game and it's nice to see a Bond actor go out on his own liking, with seemingly (too) much control
    • I still like this Q, M, and Moneypenny; too bad this is it for them
    • I liked that they at least tried to make it a classic kind of Bondian adventure, with an island lair, hints of Flemming material we haven't seen on film (poisoned garden, choking Blofield, etc)

Bad:
    • The film looked generic and amateurish at times; cinematography was meh
    • The tone was all over the place; it's obvious the director has limited experience
    • The Nomi character was an insufferable b*tch the entire film; I absolutely hated her because all she did was piss on other characters and act like she was God's greatest gift to the universe but at least Bond gave it back to her most of the time and didn't sit back and take it like a p*ssy
    • Bond and Madeleine's relationship was so painfully forced at times it was difficult to watch and I felt like just fast forwarding passed it; they have virtually no chemistry, no reason to be together, there was nothing at all worthwhile going on
    • The story was intriguing but the dialogue was horrible overall; "You have to get over her, even if it's hard." You were right. It was hard." OMG. Really, Craig? You read those lines and were okay with them being in your movie?!? Unreal...
    • Implying that Q was gay... what did that accomplish, exactly? So stupid....
    • The deaths were somewhat earned, in that Leiter at least put Bond in a position to save the world; Blofeld dying? Who cares? Bond's death was the single dumbest thing I've ever seen in my film-watching life

I agree with a lot of this, except for two points. 1) Nomi. While one large internet demographic were acting like she was going to takes Bonds place, another was acting like this one fictional character was going to solve all of the worlds problems. And yet, she’s just.... there, not a character worth getting worked up, either way, about. A lot of hot air over nothing. And 2), Q. I hope that Wishaw stays on, but think a clean break from the Craig era is needed. I wish Cleese had stayed on after DAD, I liked his sarcastic take on Q. But that didn’t work out. As for Q’s sexuality, it never once crossed my mind, either way.

Other than a sprinkling of posts, I haven’t spoken much of NTTD. I have yet to watch it a 2nd time, and given how I feel about the film at present, I don’t see it happening anytime soon.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited January 2022 Posts: 652
    Basically, CR gave the opportunity to make a sort of conceptual framework in which all th Bond-stories are set between CR and NTTD, including the future ones.

No, CR-NTTD is clearly its own separate continuity. There's no way to square it with anything that came before. Everything that happened to Craig's Bond is accounted for in those movies.
    So I honenstly hope they won't come up with another reboot, but just a 'standard'Bond story like GE to introduce the new guy.

Another reboot is a given. It's what all the franchises are doing, and EON really doesn't know how to do anything else but copy others at this point.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    slide_99 wrote: »
    Basically, CR gave the opportunity to make a sort of conceptual framework in which all th Bond-stories are set between CR and NTTD, including the future ones.

No, CR-NTTD is clearly its own separate continuity. There's no way to square it with anything that came before. Everything that happened to Craig's Bond is accounted for in those movies.
    So I honenstly hope they won't come up with another reboot, but just a 'standard'Bond story like GE to introduce the new guy.

Another reboot is a given. It's what all the franchises are doing, and EON really doesn't know how to do anything else but copy others at this point.

you mean they're going with the times, like they've always done? ;-)

Considering how many nods we got from all Craig-films to all films before, same in NTTD, I don't think that's a logical conclusion. The picture of Brown's M on the wall wouldn't make much sense that way. Nor previous ones of Bernard Lee's. Craig is even driving a DB5 first, then a V8 Vantage (Timothy's car) before finally getting into Nomi's latest Aston. TO me it all points in the same direction.
    IMO, no one should ever make a creative decision "to make the fans happy". Also, I would dare to say that most people probably are happy with NTTD and it's ending, and that it's a vocal minority of a subset of Bond fans that are extremely unhappy with NTTD.

It's hard for me to imagine an intersection of fans that would want Craig to come back for a 26th film; either people like it and don't need a 26th Craig film, or they don't like it and (it seems like a vast majority of these people) blame Craig, and so want him out anyways.

Just my thoughts on things.
    The next movie will be a multiverse event where all versions of Bond band together to take on all versions of Blofeld.
    It will make 3 billion dollars!!!!!

The film was not as antiwhite as it might have been so that's good. They focused mostly on the story of Craig Bond and it was hit or miss overall.

So pissing off White men is a good thing to you? That means you are antiwhite; good to know where you stand. The whole "straight White men are normal" is bad thing is also part of the antiwhite narrative. You are sick, my friend, and need to cure yourself of this mental prison you are in.