No Time To Die: Why It Should Not Have Been Made (The Way It Was)

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Please, no need; we're all just passionate fans at the end of the day.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 3,279
    To me it seems like it’s the Barbara Broccoli Bonds that get the most stick on here, while the Cubby years are generally looked at more favourably.

And why is that, do you think, Hm? Dare I suggest "sexist, misogynist dinosaurs"?

Either that, or maybe, just maybe, he produced better films than his daughter (shock, horror!)
    271841851_267413012150350_1639871311481763054_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_rgb565=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=ui3IQZSwdHUAX_CP03e&_nc_ht=scontent.fcxh2-1.fna&oh=00_AT9A0MuIcq52j4g3BaxTnGX5sPEyBG03oQtFx_JT4uRWPA&oe=61E3A674
    And this is why “why won’t EON ever listen to the fans?” is a silly question. Ten years ago anyone praising DAD on here would have been laughed at. Now Craig has taken Brosnan’s place as the new whipping boy, it’s an underrated gem. In ten years time the consensus will probably be pining for Craig’s “melodrama” and slagging off the new guy. Fans always moan.
    It's cheap gimmick crap, designed to shock general audiences that are not huge Bond fans, and at the risk and expense of pissing off lifelong fans (and yes, there are many who are extremely not happy with the ending).

Translation: I didn’t like it. Seriously this is getting so boring. “I didn’t like it, therefore it was a woke conspiracy designed to use cheap gimmicks they stole from Marvel to seperate the fake fans from the real fans” or whatever the line is now. They told the story they wanted to tell. You didn’t like it, some of us did. That’s all there is to it. I don’t see the point in these constant baseless assertions about why they did it, and I don’t see the point in playing the “lifelong fan” card either. Meaningless. That applies to most of us on this site, including those of us who liked it, and guess what? We’re literally no more important than any other viewer.
    There are plenty of other threads praising the hell out of NTTD, and any dissenting voices are usually sent packing. Why not leave us be in this tiny corner of the forum to allow us to do some well deserved NTTD bashing? What's the point in coming in here to tell us its getting boring to read?

If you are getting bored hearing these moans, then maybe stay clear of these kind of threads. There are plenty other threads where you can all back slap each other on how great NTTD is.

Because maybe it's not all that well deserved. Whether or not you like the ending -- and you have every right to your opinion in that regard -- the majority of the film is well conceived and fabulously executed. The very title of this topic thread -- "Why NTTD Should Not Have Been Made" -- is a calculated slap in the face to the many, many talented professionals who worked on this film. It WAS made. It's not going away. Grow up and get just a little bit realistic. Criticize it all you want, just don't try to claim that it shouldn't have been made. It achieved its' dual aims: Craig left the series on a note that he and his fans can appreciate; and it made a big batch of $$$$$ for Eon and their investors. Sorry you don't belong to either of those camps.

So because it made money, as a fan I'm supposed to be grateful for that, and not dare criticise the film? I don't think DAD should have been made either, even though that made money.

If a film is crap (which NTTD and DAD most definitely are) but make money, then no fan is allowed to say those films shouldn't have been made? Is this your logic?
    271841851_267413012150350_1639871311481763054_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_rgb565=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=ui3IQZSwdHUAX_CP03e&_nc_ht=scontent.fcxh2-1.fna&oh=00_AT9A0MuIcq52j4g3BaxTnGX5sPEyBG03oQtFx_JT4uRWPA&oe=61E3A674
  • To me it seems like it’s the Barbara Broccoli Bonds that get the most stick on here, while the Cubby years are generally looked at more favourably.

And why is that, do you think, Hm? Dare I suggest "sexist, misogynist dinosaurs"?

Either that, or maybe, just maybe, he produced better films than his daughter (shock, horror!)

I think they’ve both produced some very good and very bad films, Bond has always been very hit and miss. Barbara’s just been unfortunate enough to have her run coincide with the age of the internet. If this site existed in Cubby’s day then I think the likes of TMWTGG and MR would have drawn just as much vitrol as DAD used to do. People have just calmed down about those ones now, and the bad stuff that at the time would’ve seemed like an affront to the legacy of the series has since become part of that legacy. The same will happen with Bond dying. New fans who grew up with that as part of the series won’t care because to them that’s how it’s always been, and even the older fans will move on to talking about the new films once they come out. So, eventually the dust will settle, there’ll be new stuff to get angry over or passionately defend depending on your perspective, and we’ll have people saying Barbara produced better films than Gregg, and that NTTD really isn’t that bad compared to Bond 47.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    51791720909_5c3cdf224f_m.jpg
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 1,005
    Back in the eighties, the only 'forum' fans really had access to was the letters pages of magazines like 007 and Bondage. I can imagine if there was a forum like this in the early eighties, there'd be much more of a split than there ever is now. On one side would be the fans of the lightweight current Moore series, and on the other side would be the fans of the grittier Connery series. It'd be carnage!
    Can you even begin to imagine what the Do You Prefer NSNA or Octopussy? thread would look like in 1983?
    To me it seems like it’s the Barbara Broccoli Bonds that get the most stick on here, while the Cubby years are generally looked at more favourably.

I think they’ve both produced some very good and very bad films, Bond has always been very hit and miss. Barbara’s just been unfortunate enough to have her run coincide with the age of the internet. If this site existed in Cubby’s day then I think the likes of TMWTGG and MR would have drawn just as much vitrol as DAD used to do. People have just calmed down about those ones now, and the bad stuff that at the time would’ve seemed like an affront to the legacy of the series has since become part of that legacy. The same will happen with Bond dying. New fans who grew up with that as part of the series won’t care because to them that’s how it’s always been, and even the older fans will move on to talking about the new films once they come out. So, eventually the dust will settle, there’ll be new stuff to get angry over or passionately defend depending on your perspective, and we’ll have people saying Barbara produced better films than Gregg, and that NTTD really isn’t that bad compared to Bond 47.

Yes good point. I think DAF would have been crucified if the internet existed back then.

Cubby gets an automatic free pass though, as so many of his films are outright classics - all 60's Bonds, arguably TSWLM too (even though I'm not a fan personally), and then most of the 80's are superb. Even GE falls under his watch.

Under Babs reign we have had one outright classic with CR, and arguably a second with SF. The rest of the films rate very average at best, and then we have the outright stinker (DAD), and I'm guessing in years to come NTTD will be seen that way too.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Back in the eighties, the only 'forum' fans really had access to was the letters pages of magazines like 007 and Bondage. I can imagine if there was a forum like this in the early eighties, there'd be much more of a split than there ever is now. On one side would be the fans of the lightweight current Moore series, and on the other side would be the fans of the grittier Connery series. It'd be carnage!
    Can you even begin to imagine what the Do You Prefer NSNA or Octopussy? thread would look like in 1983?

A-TeamFan26: That new Bond movie with Connery was RADICAL!
    MCPfromTron: Hold on, mister! Octopussy was way better.

A-TeamFan26: Ow yeah? I've got 75 kilobyte of computing power telling me something else.
    MCPfromTron: I bet your computer doesn't have a graphical user interface like my Lisa!

A-TeamFan26: You're like that comedian, Eddie Murphy, who thinks he can act. Ha! Like he's going to have a career in film. He's just as bad as your Roger Moore.
    MCPfromTron: You've got yourself an enemy, buster! I bet you can't even dance to Billie Jean.

A-TeamFan26: You are a NERD!
    MCPfromTron: I'm out of here. I've got a CHESS game on my computer! I bet you don't. So I'm going to have some fun on my own. So long, loser!
  • GBFGBF
    Damm, in 1983 two Bond films were released...., now we have one every six years... :-)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2022 Posts: 4,343

Yes good point. I think DAF would have been crucified if the internet existed back then.

Cubby gets an automatic free pass though, as so many of his films are outright classics - all 60's Bonds, arguably TSWLM too (even though I'm not a fan personally), and then most of the 80's are superb. Even GE falls under his watch.

Under Babs reign we have had one outright classic with CR, and arguably a second with SF. The rest of the films rate very average at best, and then we have the outright stinker (DAD), and I'm guessing in years to come NTTD will be seen that way too.

You know that basing predictions upon personal hard feelings is not really wise, right?
    Barbara with Daniel pulled off the most successful era since Connery’s golden age so I wouldn’t dismiss her work so easily.
    Regarding the 80s the only superb entries were with Dalton imo but they almost killed the franchise.
  • And this is why “why won’t EON ever listen to the fans?” is a silly question. Ten years ago anyone praising DAD on here would have been laughed at. Now Craig has taken Brosnan’s place as the new whipping boy, it’s an underrated gem. In ten years time the consensus will probably be pining for Craig’s “melodrama” and slagging off the new guy. Fans always moan.
    It's cheap gimmick crap, designed to shock general audiences that are not huge Bond fans, and at the risk and expense of pissing off lifelong fans (and yes, there are many who are extremely not happy with the ending).

Translation: I didn’t like it. Seriously this is getting so boring. “I didn’t like it, therefore it was a woke conspiracy designed to use cheap gimmicks they stole from Marvel to seperate the fake fans from the real fans” or whatever the line is now. They told the story they wanted to tell. You didn’t like it, some of us did. That’s all there is to it. I don’t see the point in these constant baseless assertions about why they did it, and I don’t see the point in playing the “lifelong fan” card either. Meaningless. That applies to most of us on this site, including those of us who liked it, and guess what? We’re literally no more important than any other viewer.
    There are plenty of other threads praising the hell out of NTTD, and any dissenting voices are usually sent packing. Why not leave us be in this tiny corner of the forum to allow us to do some well deserved NTTD bashing? What's the point in coming in here to tell us its getting boring to read?

If you are getting bored hearing these moans, then maybe stay clear of these kind of threads. There are plenty other threads where you can all back slap each other on how great NTTD is.

Because maybe it's not all that well deserved. Whether or not you like the ending -- and you have every right to your opinion in that regard -- the majority of the film is well conceived and fabulously executed. The very title of this topic thread -- "Why NTTD Should Not Have Been Made" -- is a calculated slap in the face to the many, many talented professionals who worked on this film. It WAS made. It's not going away. Grow up and get just a little bit realistic. Criticize it all you want, just don't try to claim that it shouldn't have been made. It achieved its' dual aims: Craig left the series on a note that he and his fans can appreciate; and it made a big batch of $$$$$ for Eon and their investors. Sorry you don't belong to either of those camps.

So because it made money, as a fan I'm supposed to be grateful for that, and not dare criticise the film? I don't think DAD should have been made either, even though that made money.

If a film is crap (which NTTD and DAD most definitely are) but make money, then no fan is allowed to say those films shouldn't have been made? Is this your logic?

You could at least try being thankful that, since the films made money, more Bond films will be forthcoming and there is at least a chance that future offerings could be more to your liking. If the Bond films start losing money rather than making it, Bond 26 & 27 & 28 will never be made.

And no, NTTD is not "definitely crap." You can say that you don't like it... but if you were being honest in your posts you'd at least allow (as many others who don't like the movie have) that it is skillfully made.

And finally, on the issue of what films should or should not have been made -- the movie business is PRIMARILY about making money. Everything else is secondary. The only reason a film should not be made is if it fails to turn a profit. If you didn't like it, you're allowed to say so -- but please, be realistic about these things. Or resign yourself to being disparaged in forums like this.
    Forget it, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, it's Chinatown the why NTTD should not have been made thread.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 3,564
    Forget it, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, it's Chinatown the why NTTD should not have been made thread.

Should I start a competing thread then? "Why This Thread Should Change Its Name."

PS: "It's my sister. It's my daughter. It's my sister. It's my daughter......"
    And this is why “why won’t EON ever listen to the fans?” is a silly question. Ten years ago anyone praising DAD on here would have been laughed at. Now Craig has taken Brosnan’s place as the new whipping boy, it’s an underrated gem. In ten years time the consensus will probably be pining for Craig’s “melodrama” and slagging off the new guy. Fans always moan.

You could at least try being thankful that, since the films made money, more Bond films will be forthcoming and there is at least a chance that future offerings could be more to your liking. If the Bond films start losing money rather than making it, Bond 26 & 27 & 28 will never be made.

And no, NTTD is not "definitely crap." You can say that you don't like it... but if you were being honest in your posts you'd at least allow (as many others who don't like the movie have) that it is skillfully made.

And finally, on the issue of what films should or should not have been made -- the movie business is PRIMARILY about making money. Everything else is secondary. The only reason a film should not be made is if it fails to turn a profit. If you didn't like it, you're allowed to say so -- but please, be realistic about these things. Or resign yourself to being disparaged in forums like this.

I will agree with you that technically NTTD was very well made. Script wise, absolutely not.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 3,279
    matt_u wrote: »

You know that basing predictions upon personal hard feelings is not really wise, right?
    Barbara with Daniel pulled off the most successful era since Connery’s golden age so I wouldn’t dismiss her work so easily.
    Regarding the 80s the only superb entries were with Dalton imo but they almost killed the franchise.

OP is not a bad film, neither is FYEO, but yes AVTAK is. Cubby is allowed one crap film per decade (although in the 70's there was more than one). ;)

Thank goodness this forum has a Grand Arbiter of What is Good and Bad, wouldn’t do at all for people to be running around the place with incorrect opinions!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thank goodness this forum has a Grand Arbiter of What is Good and Bad

Sure thing, but that would be me. Everyone else is too confused.
  • Can I be the Grand Arbiter of who exactly is named to hold the position of Grand Arbiter? I don't want it for myself, you understand...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is already settled.
    Thank goodness this forum has a Grand Arbiter of What is Good and Bad, wouldn’t do at all for people to be running around the place with incorrect opinions!

Exactly!
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 2,066
    matt_u wrote: »

Hell Barbara did it twice. Some folks may not love the Brosnan entries today, but at the time of their releases people where holding those movies up in high regard when they came out, but not to the extent of Craig’s. Still, same point about Barbara’s abilities rings true, she’s a wonderful producer. Hell one can even make the argument that Craig’s era has been more successful than Connery’s with all the critical praise it’s received, even if some of the Craig films don’t hit me as much as others.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Hey Nick, you're a nosey guy. ;)
  • chrisisall wrote: »

It's crappy. It's brilliant. It's crappy. It's brilliant. It's crappy AND it's brilliant!
    chrisisall wrote: »

It's crappy. It's brilliant. It's crappy. It's brilliant. It's crappy AND it's brilliant!

LOL, post of the day! Well done.

• chrisisall wrote: »

You just described every Bond film ever made according to the collective consciousness of MI6.

You just described every Bond film ever made according to the collective consciousness of MI6.

One man's Goldfinger is another man's A View To A Kill.

Or you could love them both like me x)
    FoxRox wrote: »

Or you could love them both like me x)

I actually enjoy AVTAK a good bit; I was spitballin'.
    I think it's funny that there's no Bond movie that's universally hated on here. I'll bet there's even a fan or two for CR'67.....