Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think the short is definitely to make him seem more youthful, though Tom somehow hasn't had that much of a problem yet with that department.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I like the long hair on Cruise personally, but perhaps this is a direct sequel, and hence a similar style to RN is required.

@bondjames, I think this too. I'd say RN leads into MI:6 and that they are close in timeline, therefore meaning Ethan has to have a similar hair style.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Agreed, it appears the films take place at least a few weeks apart, so I'll accept the short/long hair inconsistency this time!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited April 2017 Posts: 7,980
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Agreed, it appears the films take place at least a few weeks apart, so I'll accept the short/long hair inconsistency this time!

I'm sure the producers are breathing a sigh of relief. :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    talos7 wrote: »

Personally, I was ready to boycott if Cruise had long hair. If they can't respect glorious continuity, I want nothin' to do with 'em.
    talos7 wrote: »

He could be bald or rocking a mullet and I'd still be there opening day.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Ethan Hunt with a mullet... hmmm... :-))
    boldfinger wrote: »

'Mullet Impossible.' I'll take 20 tickets, please.

Tagline:

"Ethan Hunt is a (hair)cut above the rest."

Let your hair down July 2018

Tagline:

"Ethan Hunt is a (hair)cut above the rest."

Let your hair down July 2018

He'll inevitably subdue a few foes by whipping his well-conditioned, lethal mullet into their faces, knocking them out cold.
    @Creasy47, it'd be kind of like how Batman's cape in the comics has razor sharp blades at the tips of it that he can use to defend himself with.

The main gadget of the M:I film would be a special hairspray Benji developed for Ethan that he could spray on the tips of his long hair to sharpen them and essentially make all the loose hairs makeshift blades out in the field. Ethan would be able to face a room full of goons and whip his head side to side, slicing them to pieces with his perfect grooming without moving any other part of his body. The movie would trademark a whole new hands and legs free kind of cinematic combat called hair-fu, a spiritual continuation of Woo's gun-fu. It would change the game, then change the world.
    I have a vision of Benji developing an intelligent hair spray, so that, similar to Batman´s memory cloth cape, Ethan can stand his hair like a hedgehog, or let it fall.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm not sure I like Cavill's WWII era military mustache.
    WWII era military mustaches are timelessly classy.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The stubble is ruining it though.
    It only looks good in a proper perspective in a film. On selfies it looks just badly shaved.
    No one posted the pic of Cruse and Cavill in a truck? It looked like a interesting set photo
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Finally saw RN for the first time after it's theatrical run.

Mission Impossible has proven to better Bond in any department. My favorite spy franchise from 1996-2015
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Thank you @peter. I'm trying to avoid any and all future snippets from this highly anticipated film, but had to click on that link just out of curiosity (despite what it did to the cat).

I wonder how Cruise and Co. will top that bike chase in MI-RN, which was a work of cinematic art imho, and my favourite sequence from the film. Risky move to put another bike chase in so soon, but I'm comforted that it's in Paris. French car and bike chases always seem to be some of the best (Ronin and Bourne Identity come to mind), so they have yet another high hurdle/bar to clear.

The choice of Ex-Machina cinematographer Rob Hardy and comments by McQuarrie that he wants to make the film feel/look different from MI-RN are also positives, although I have some concerns on account of another well known director who hit gold first time out only to return in less than stellar fashion (imho of course).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames Don't forget that Cruise has a major plane stunt sequence in the upcoming 'The Mummy', and it seems to look just as impressive (from what I've seen in the trailers) as the one in 'M:I Rogue Nation'.
    @DaltonCraig007, the Mummy is another one I'm really looking forward to, but I must admit that the plane sequence in that film does look to have a heavy CGI influence, in contrast to the MI series. The opening Afghanistan or Iraq war sequence where they discover the tomb is the scene that really looks extraordinary in that upcoming film.

In terms of CGI at its best, I think it will be difficult to beat the next Pirates film. From what I have seen to date, it's outstanding in this respect.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames you are right, 'The Mummy' is a lot more CGI heavy than recent Cruise flicks, but I can still feel that 'Cruise intensity' in the trailers, even with the plane sequence.

It's actually hard to realize, when looking at what Tom Cruise has in store for 'The Mummy' and 'Mission Impossible 6', that this following video is 13 years in the past now:

The man's a genius @DaltonCraig007. His commitment to his craft earns my respect a thousand times over. I have to watch Collateral again soon. Love that film. Mann's last great one imho (I don't have time for Blackhat & Miami Vice & Public Enemies were so-so). Paul Cameron, who was the cinematographer on Collateral and who is working on the upcoming The Commuter, has a great eye.
    I didn't know about connection between 'The Commuter ' and 'Collateral'! Thanks @bondjames. Since you mentioned that, I have to say that Liam Neeson is also a very busy man - he is currently filming the revenge flick 'Hard Powder' in Canada, and said recently he hopes to go straight to doing 'The Willing Patriot' (another action flick that will take him to South Africa, Tunisia and Morocco) after finishing 'Hard Powder'. He also must find time for 'Widows', the upcoming heist/drama film with Colin Farrell, Robert Duvall, Viola Davis and Michelle Rodriguez by the director of '12 Years a Slave'.
    @bondjames, I'm trying to do the same thing, but every time I see a new article about some BTS look at a new stunt or scene being filmed, I can't help myself.
    I have to avoid going forward @Creasy47, or at least just browse quickly. I didn't know much about MI-RN going in (apart from the plane stunt - although I saw a photo of Becks and Cruise on the rope line coming down from the Opera House), and my enjoyment was all the greater for it.

@DaltonCraig007, seeing Neeson going full force in the action genre brings a smile to my face. It's been a while since he's given us some of his patented badassery, so I don't mind od'ing on it shortly when all these films get released.
    Agreed. I'll do the same thing with 'Bond 25' when the time comes, too; it's a must these days, really, I can't stand going into a movie, being able to tell what'll inevitably happen just from trailers and BTS images.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    bondjames wrote: »
    The man's a genius @DaltonCraig007. His commitment to his craft earns my respect a thousand times over. I have to watch Collateral again soon. Love that film. Mann's last great one imho (I don't have time for Blackhat & Miami Vice & Public Enemies were so-so). Paul Cameron, who was the cinematographer on Collateral and who is working on the upcoming The Commuter, has a great eye.

Cruise is easily my favorite actor. Anytime I hear he has a new movie coming out I always keep a close eye on it. Collateral is also easily in my top two of the hitman genre (along with Leon The Professional).
    I don't think Cavill's moustache is that bad,it actutally makes him look older and takes away his youthful look.