Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @TripAces, I know this will offend its fans, but I only saw the three recent-ish Star Trek movies and that's it. I've never seen anything of the original series and spin-offs and films.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Good point on the Wolf Blitzer comparison (could've gone with literally anyone else to avoided this), but I really don't have an issue with the dialogue (or delivery of) in Fallout. Not one of those lines comes remotely close to the cringe I feel with some of the delivery (not even just the delivery, but the lines themselves) in SP.
    This!!

“C is for Careless”????? Anyone??? I still shudder to this day remembering how I felt in the theater listening to that one! SP has some absolutely putrid lines.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,541
    I think if it comes to storylines RN still tops from any silly mi series lines... Fallout had a lot of cheesy lines compare to SP which wasn't really a big hit - Ethan talking to walker - "that's right you prick", Ethan talking to helicopter- " not when I am this close not when I am this close" or " this is airspeed , " this is power". Not to mention all the falshbacks or ethan imagining what will happen in convoy exactly before it has happened or melodramatic Scenes with his wife in the end lying on bed. The thing about story telling in films is you show it not showoff or say it. Falshbacks or melodramatic or slow motion scenes are really a turn off for me.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'd rather we don't get something like that abysmal third film. Something like Ghost Protocol is what I long for.
    The third one is the best one if you ask me.
    And it's the worst one if you ask me.
    I'd rather we don't get something like that abysmal third film. Something like Ghost Protocol is what I long for.
    The third one is the best one if you ask me.
    And it's the worst one if you ask me.

I’m with you on this one @Mendes4Lyfe ; I’m a big fan of MI:3 . It’s the film that made Ethan Hunt a three dimensional character and separated him and the series from other franchises.
    They were wise not to let future films become bogged down in Hunts personal issues, but they did add depth to his character.

bondjames wrote: »
    I don't think people are asking for Bond to emulate MI. Bond is Bond and MI is MI. It's always been that way. Is there some overlap? Sure, and there always has been. It's inherent to this genre that some elements will seem similar.

I think what some (or at least I) would like is for Bond films to go back to the tone they had before and be primarily plot (as opposed to internal character) driven. I personally would also like state of the art stuntwork and action sequences like they used to do before. There's really been nothing in a Bond film which has grabbed me on that front since the CR parkour 12 years ago. If you're going to do it, do it well.

The last three MI films have a tone which sits well with me and remind me of the earlier Bond films. These newer films also have great repeat watchability for me as well, which again is similar to those older Bond films. It's primarily because of the tone.

This.

Agree about the parkour for the most part as I liked certain other stunts and action in the succeeding films, but that grabbed me and set the reboot off on the - forgive the comparison - right foot. Having Wolf Blitzer in two genre films doesn't scream rip-off to me. It was so small I didn't even realize it until I read this thread; it's that generic in the bigger picture.

I still say it's a great time to be a fan of both franchises as they are a welcome alternative to the superhero flicks that dominate the cinemas and video almost weekly.
    Just watched Fallout on Blu Ray, first time since seeing it in the cinema. What I found funny is at the beginning they put on this elaborate IMF style fake out to get a password. These guys can hack into CIA headquarters and they need to go through all this just to get the code for a phone.
    I also got the bluray for Xmas and watched it last night. The ending is too long IMHO but there are little touches that I missed fist time.

The car chase in Paris is just stunning and, having watched Specte recently, frankly, it's rather embarrassing for the Bond franchise. It's a stunning sequence around Paris, one of the highlights for me,

looking forward to the extras disc.
    Is it strange that I haven't bothered to purchase Fallout when I did the previous 3 films the week they came out? For some reason it just seems priced higher than a lot of new blu releases and maybe it just didn't resonate with me enough on my theater viewing.

I do want it, but even with it being the holidays I just don't feel it's must-have, which is odd considering how much I love this series.
    Interesting video, I don't agree with all of the points but, with so much focus on the stunts, it's good to discuss the script.....

M_Blaise wrote: »
    Just watched Fallout on Blu Ray, first time since seeing it in the cinema. What I found funny is at the beginning they put on this elaborate IMF style fake out to get a password. These guys can hack into CIA headquarters and they need to go through all this just to get the code for a phone.

I thought it was a nice callback to both the TV series, as well as the opening of the first film.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    patb wrote: »
    Interesting video, I don't agree with all of the points but, with so much focus on the stunts, it's good to discuss the script.....

That was an incredible video. The guy gave a Master Class in what makes a great scene (and, of course, the accumulation of these scenes, broken into Acts, and escalated as we move towards the finale, is what make a script).

I'd have to watch the MI film again to see if it holds to his arguments (I certainly agree with the cop scene).

I do tend to forget these films five minutes after watching them, so, if they indeed are built with incredible scenes, then I'm thinking my amnesia is based off of the one thing this guy didn't mention in his video: character. Character is just as important as choices, themes, ticking time bombs. And yes, his/her actions will reveal some of the character, but character development goes far deeper than actions (and when I say "actions" I'm not talking about stunts).

Great vid-- thanks for posting!!
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 4,600
    @peter Glad you enjoyed it, far better than the average shallow review IMHO

To add to your point, don't forget, the choices made create the character. As an action movie, there is not much room for long, slow, dialogue based scenes to investigate character. So, IF Hunt's character is to be shown, then seeing his choices and how he executes them is a good way to show us his character.

Also, unlike previous MI movies, we see into his dreams and nightmares which is another visual way of exploring his character. (although there was a dream sequence in MI 1, I think)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Absolutely, @patb -- you hit the nail on the head: there is no time for long, slow pieces of exposition in action-thrillers; when needed the writer(s) needs to find a creative way of sharing info. And that's where SP failed: half the film or more were people talking. And yes, I think Mendes and company were trying to be creative with some of their exposition (the chase in Rome and chatting to MP at the same time), but fell well short of the mark.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2018 Posts: 15,690
    Of all 6 Mission Impossible films, this may be my favorite moment in the franchise:

giphy.gif

Ever since CR came out, I've grown more appreciative of foot chases, and 'Fallout' gave one very good example of such sequence.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Of all 6 Mission Impossible films, this may be my favorite moment in the franchise:

giphy.gif

Ever since CR came out, I've grown more appreciative of foot chases, and 'Fallout' gave one very good example of such sequence.
    Seeing that scene again increases my anticipation to view the film once more @DaltonCraig007. I'm still waiting to find a reasonably priced 4K. An amazing scene from a brilliant entry.
    --

I'm definitely looking forward to viewing this after I see the film again.
    @DaltonCraig007 I think there is so much packed into the film that it's only when you view individual scenes that you fully appreciate the work. The camera work/angles/movement on the above running clip alone is superb.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames for comparison (in chronological order of release):

All of these films are personal favorites of mine in the action genre.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Excellent choices @DaltonCraig007. I had forgotten about the FF5 chase. That's a great one. The jump through the window in The Bourne Ultimatum is still amazing all these years later - when I first saw it I was completely blown away by that entire sequence, including the ensuing close quarters fight with Desh.

I also really enjoy this one from Civil War.
    @bondjames That Civil War chase is very good too. There is also an excellent foot chase in Aquaman set in Sicily.

edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007. I haven't seen that film yet and so will pass on the clip for now. I'm hoping to get to it this week. I have low expectations given it's a DC effort, but let's see. Some of the comments in the movie thread have been positive.
    --

PS: RE: the QoS rooftop sequence - whenever I see that film I'm especially disappointed by the manner in which they filmed that chase because I feel that there is so much going on that could have been captured with better camera work. Sure the pace is relentless, but there is no sense of perspective due to all the rapid cuts. It's like viewing something interesting through a rapidly and alternately covered and exposed keyhole.
    I definitely agree with what you said about that QOS sequence - especially when Bond jumps onto that bus, those cuts are so damn fast that he could very well have jumped on the wings of a fighter jet (like Bruce Willis in Die Hard 4) and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
    Yes, and contrast that with the Fallout clip where it is (or tries to be) one continuous shot with no cuts so you actually feel exhausted plus you get a much better feel of the geography of the run.

I know there has been some healthy debate re MI/Bond but are there any Bond fans that would feel that the Fallout roof top run scene would not be a worthy and valuable addition to any Bond movie?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Yes, and contrast that with the Fallout clip where it is (or tries to be) one continuous shot with no cuts so you actually feel exhausted plus you get a much better feel of the geography of the run.

I know there has been some healthy debate re MI/Bond but are there any Bond fans that would feel that the Fallout roof top run scene would not be a worthy and valuable addition to any Bond movie?

That clip is excellent and shot very well but the scene with Benji and Ethan when he was about to jump kind of remind of SP Rome car chase when MP and Bond where talking during chase which completely turn me off during an action scene. CR chase hardly had any lines. I can't say I would like to see the whole sequence of fallout rooftop chase in bond film but this particular running clip was quite good.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

giphy.gif

Seeing that scene again increases my anticipation to view the film once more @DaltonCraig007. I'm still waiting to find a reasonably priced 4K. An amazing scene from a brilliant entry.
    --

Can only assume this was filmed by some sort of drone.....?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

giphy.gif

--

Wirecam I think, and I think there's a stitch of two takes there somewhere.

giphy.gif

--

There has to be, because when Cruise makes the jump he is hooked up. I'm assuming the stitch is when he climbs that raised portion near the end (you can see what looks like a cut). He probably still required sufficient space to accelerate for the jump and that would have given it to him.
    Yes, there is a stitch. It's a great example of subtle CGI: not getting on the way of a great scene and not being taken out of the movie.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

giphy.gif

--

There has to be, because when Cruise makes the jump he is hooked up. I'm assuming the stitch is when he climbs that raised portion near the end (you can see what looks like a cut). He probably still required sufficient space to accelerate for the jump and that would have given it to him.

I love those Wirecams. I think they used a Libra camera-mount on it, which meant the camera can do 360 turns and capture movement nicely.
    Yes, there is a stitch. It's a great example of subtle CGI: not getting on the way of a great scene and not being taken out of the movie.

And they digitally removed the crew on the opposite rooftop, too. A more obvious bit of tinkering but necessary of course and well done. It's not a big deal these days to do that sort of stuff but it always impresses me nonetheless.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Are we to assume?
    That the White Widow is Max the Arms Dealers Daughter?

Answer:
    Yes. Though I missed that when I saw it.

giphy.gif

Such a great shot. I think I rewound that moment a dozen times when I watched it last.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That exact shot of Cruise running and jumping was the very first footage ever unveiled of the movie. What a great way to introduce audiences to, in my opinion, the best action movie of the year.