Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    And at 56 years old; they must have digitally erased his walker or cane. ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    talos7 wrote: »
    And at 56 years old; they must have digitally erased his walker or cane. ;)
    Don't speak ill of the cane.

3pev5i7.png

;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2018 Posts: 15,690
    patb wrote: »
    Yes, and contrast that with the Fallout clip where it is (or tries to be) one continuous shot with no cuts so you actually feel exhausted plus you get a much better feel of the geography of the run.

I know there has been some healthy debate re MI/Bond but are there any Bond fans that would feel that the Fallout roof top run scene would not be a worthy and valuable addition to any Bond movie?

That clip is excellent and shot very well but the scene with Benji and Ethan when he was about to jump kind of remind of SP Rome car chase when MP and Bond where talking during chase which completely turn me off during an action scene. CR chase hardly had any lines. I can't say I would like to see the whole sequence of fallout rooftop chase in bond film but this particular running clip was quite good.

Don't forget that the M:I films, despite Tom Cruise being the center of attention, are very much team efforts, with Benji, Luther, Ilsa, Brandt, etc, while Bond is better off alone for the better part of his films. That's why I have a soft spot for TND's PTS, where Brosnan's Bond, despite having an ear-piece connected to MI6/M/Robinson, chooses to totally disregard any orders coming from them and prefers to just blow everything up. And I did like how we never hear Bond communicate back at MI6 until the very end of the PTS.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Yes, and contrast that with the Fallout clip where it is (or tries to be) one continuous shot with no cuts so you actually feel exhausted plus you get a much better feel of the geography of the run.

I know there has been some healthy debate re MI/Bond but are there any Bond fans that would feel that the Fallout roof top run scene would not be a worthy and valuable addition to any Bond movie?

That clip is excellent and shot very well but the scene with Benji and Ethan when he was about to jump kind of remind of SP Rome car chase when MP and Bond where talking during chase which completely turn me off during an action scene. CR chase hardly had any lines. I can't say I would like to see the whole sequence of fallout rooftop chase in bond film but this particular running clip was quite good.

Don't forget that the M:I films, despite Tom Cruise being the center of attention, are very much team efforts, with Benji, Luther, Ilsa, Brandt, etc, while Bond is better off alone for the better part of his films. That's why I have a soft spot for TND's PTS, where Brosnan's Bond, despite having an ear-piece connected to MI6/M/Robinson, chooses to totally disregard any orders coming from them and prefers to just blow everything up. And I did like how we never hear Bond communicate back at MI6 until the very end of the PTS.

Jason Bourne didn't had any team effort and still created a lot of stirr. I prefer a spy working alone like at the end of The Bourne identity the assassin said we all work alone, but I get your point about other characters I just don't get Benji and Luther why is there a need for 2 tech guys out there. I liked Luther more than Benji personally. BTW TND have a soft spot for me as well, nice to see someone else liked it as well.
    This discussion is interesting when you consider the MI TV series was a team of 5: A team leader, master of disguise, female distraction, a strongman and an electronics expert, operating on their own.

The movie universe often combines these roles and always has them answering to somebody and more often than not having to go unsupervised and rogue. Obviously there's no need for a strongman and the woman is far from just a distraction and more than capable on her own. And anybody can wear the disguise.

I agree with Resurrection about no need for 2 electronics experts. Benji always seems in danger anyway. Brandt was a better fit as for another smart and capable agent.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2018 Posts: 8,087
    I like how Ethan is moving into more of a leadership role, managing the others. The important part now is filling out the cast with fresher faces. Ethan works as a mentor, but when the entire team is in their fifties it becomes a bit ridiculous. There needs to be someone young for Ethan to butt heads with, as they did in the fourth film. But instead of getting a well known, get someone with potential, who can eventually take over and make the series their own after Cruise is too old.

Watching Fallout for the first time since the cinema tonight, super excited. Great way to see in the new year!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Watching Fallout for the first time since the cinema tonight, super excited. Great way to see in the new year!
    Lucky you. I wish I could have done the same but I haven't been able to get a reasonably priced 4K copy yet. I'm going to have to make do with perennial fave FRWL or perhaps To Catch A Thief (another custom of mine for New Years).

Regarding getting another younger agent, I agree but who can you suggest? There aren't too many with required charisma. Hemsworth could work maybe.

EDIT: Or maybe Chris Evans, now that his Marvel gig is up.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2018 Posts: 8,087
    bondjames wrote: »
    Lucky you. I wish I could have done the same but I haven't been able to get a reasonably priced 4K copy yet. I'm going to have to make do with perennial fave FRWL or perhaps To Catch A Thief (another custom of mine for New Years).

Regarding getting another younger agent, I agree but who can you suggest? There aren't too many with required charisma. Hemsworth could work maybe.

EDIT: Or maybe Chris Evans, now that his Marvel gig is up.

Its easy to forget that Cruise was not known for action movies when the first Mission Impossible was released, maybe they need some out of the box thinking again. But first I think they should finish the trilogy with Mcquarrie and the current team. I just hope they can find time in Cruise's rammed schedule.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 4,600
    I agree that Pegg has overstayed his welcome, I think he's had a fair run (opportunity for a death and revenge plot? rather than another nuke?)

There is clearly room for a young gun but casting would be crucial. Nobody really comes to mind. Ironically, the Estevez character had bags of potential but he only lasted around 15 mins.

Nicholas Hoult?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't care for Hoult. I thought he was wild in Fury Road, but I can't take him seriously. Personally, I love Pegg's character, but I do wish he could be a bit more "competent" in the action and actually participate, rather than being pushed to the sidelines most of the time or brought up only for a bit of humor.
    Pegg should start becoming more like his Hot Fuzz character. That's what I want to see from Pegg, not being a whiny tech nerd.
    Pegg should start becoming more like his Hot Fuzz character. That's what I want to see from Pegg, not being a whiny tech nerd.

Right. He passed his field exam back in GP, I'm ready for him to start being more physical and engaged in the action scenes.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Right. He passed his field exam back in GP, I'm ready for him to start being more physical and engaged in the action scenes.
    Precisely.
    Cool link. I'm surprised nobody has written a detailed book about the history of the MI film series. I know commentaries on home video are considered the main sources, but they can only cover so much when there are multiple stories to be told about development and drafts and so on.

The diary about the Ghost Protocol filming is nice, but this story linked above is a prime example of what I'd like to see in such a work.
    I love the way McQuarrie is so open about the creative process and happy to share the highs and lows of getting to the end result. Thanks for the link
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Funnily enough, Christopher McQuarrie is the only director that Tom Cruise worked with 3 times in this capacity. In the rest of his filmography, he never starred in more than 2 films by the same director. Joseph Kosinski, Doug Liman, Edward Zwick, Steven Spielberg, Cameron Crowe and Tony Scott being the directors who worked with Cruise twice. Francis Ford Coppola, Ridley Scott, Martin Scorsese, Barry Levinson, Oliver Stone, Rob Reiner, Ron Howard, Sydney Pollack, Stanley Kubrick, Brian de Palma, Paul Thomas Anderson, John Woo, Michael Mann, JJ Abrams, Bryan Singer, Ben Stiller, Robert Redford, James Mangold, Brad Bird are just a part of the list of directors who Cruise worked with once in his career.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 4,600
    Wow, that puts Cruises career into perspective. Just look at the talent that he has worked with re top flight directors.
    It's sometimes easy to forget that he is an excellent and highly respected actor. It's just that MI and his action work has been getting a lot of the attention lately. Understandable because it's the most box office friendly sort of thing.
    Wow, that puts Cruises career into perspective. Just look at the talent that he has worked with re top flight directors.
    Exactly. When I see people criticize him as crazy and controlling and whatever I just point to that list as well as some of the great co-stars he's had over the years.

Somebody who was just about themselves would surround themselves with yes men, not directors and stars who in many cases are legends.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 4,600
    https://soundcloud.com/user-552949050

Rivetting for any MI fan (so rare for a screenwriter to be so open, honest and helpful) and his passion for movies comes through so clearly.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Exactly. When I see people criticize him as crazy and controlling and whatever I just point to that list as well as some of the great co-stars he's had over the years.

Somebody who was just about themselves would surround themselves with yes men, not directors and stars who in many cases are legends.
    One thing I've noticed over the years is that he tends to get the best out of his younger co-stars. To a degree he's been doing for them what folks like Dustin Hoffman and Paul Newman did for him - namely sprinkling the stardust branding power which then gives them a watchable vehicle in which to shine in.

Rivetting for any MI fan (so rare for a screenwriter to be so open, honest and helpful) and his passion for movies comes through so clearly.
    Thanks. I'll take a look.
    bondjames wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »

One thing I've noticed over the years is that he tends to get the best out of his younger co-stars. To a degree he's been doing for them what folks like Dustin Hoffman and Paul Newman did for him - namely sprinkling the stardust branding power which then gives them a watchable vehicle in which to shine in.

Thanks. I'll take a look.

That's a very good observation.

This interview is interesting. I didn't realize that he did that run on film after he broke his ankle. The jump part is from before, but the actual run is after he recovered. I can see a slightly different hairstyle now when I look at the clip of it from the previous page (you can see the change just as he gets on the raised bridge - his hair is a bit longer).

He mentions Bond and compliments Craig right at the end.

Part 2 of the McQuarrie interview now up
    So do we think there will be a 7th mission impossible
    Is there a reason there won't be?
    Risico007 wrote: »
    So do we think there will be a 7th mission impossible

That's all but officially confirmed at this point, Cruise has been discussing stunt ideas for months now.
    It´s just gonna take some time till they make it, Cruise has to finish his Astronaut Training first.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    It´s just gonna take some time till they make it, Cruise has to finish his Astronaut Training first.

Interesting how (unless I am mistaken) Tom Cruise has never gone to outer space or had a ski-based action sequence in any of his films (not just the 6 Mission Impossible outings he starred in).