Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, Fallout. Picture was a little dark but all in all, it looked fantastic.

Glad you enjoyed it, I have found with some 4K films I need to adjust the picture on occasion. The film is technically brilliant I may watch it again later, awesome score drags me into the film from the off.
    I've noticed this with 4K as well. It's a bit annoying. I normally either switch it to vivid or keep it on standard and adjust the gamma positively and that seems to do the trick.

I have previously looked online for optimal picture settings for my specific TV so I have two Expert pre sets, I usually end up using one of them from time to time.
    I should probably do the same. I find the HDR10 can be a bit wonky at times too, particularly on remastered films. I bought the Die Hard 4K and found the colour a bit off. I must view it again soon now that I've done some tweaking of my tv and see how it looks. The picture was fantastic, but it was just the colours I wasn't all that pleased with.

I can't wait for them to release the other Die Hards. Hope they get to it soon.

It's worth looking, for my TV I found several videos on YouTube for picture settings and kept the ones I liked. I don't have HDR10, though have HDR some pictures can be dark though you see the phenomenal detail, I recently bought Superman The Movie in 4K which was initially jarring though after a few viewings the depth and richness in detail is pretty amazing.
    I know what you mean. I initially wasn't impressed but over time I've come to recognize and appreciate the detail. It's not as noticeable as the move from DVD to Blu ray but it definitely does make quite a difference if the tv settings are done properly.

I think the remastered films (like Die Hard or the earlier MI releases) are where the real benefit will be felt, because the new releases are pretty good as they are on blu ray, and the player and tv will upscale it anyway. Something similar happened with the Lowry remasters of the Bond films, where the biggest improvements were felt with the earlier films on blu ray.

Only M:I has arrived so far hopefully the other will be delivered tomorrow, though the first film really looks impressive the image pops for the most part in crystal clarity, there are occasionally obvious shots that are not as sharp though it still looks great.

The early Sean films are unbelievable upscaled to 4K, FRWL I watched again a few weeks ago, my brother could not believe how incredible the film looked.
    Yes, those earlier films look magnificent with upscaling. OHMSS is superb. It's like seeing it for the first time.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,415
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, Fallout. Picture was a little dark but all in all, it looked fantastic.

Glad you enjoyed it, I have found with some 4K films I need to adjust the picture on occasion. The film is technically brilliant I may watch it again later, awesome score drags me into the film from the off.
    I've noticed this with 4K as well. It's a bit annoying. I normally either switch it to vivid or keep it on standard and adjust the gamma positively and that seems to do the trick.

I have previously looked online for optimal picture settings for my specific TV so I have two Expert pre sets, I usually end up using one of them from time to time.
    I should probably do the same. I find the HDR10 can be a bit wonky at times too, particularly on remastered films. I bought the Die Hard 4K and found the colour a bit off. I must view it again soon now that I've done some tweaking of my tv and see how it looks. The picture was fantastic, but it was just the colours I wasn't all that pleased with.

I can't wait for them to release the other Die Hards. Hope they get to it soon.

It's worth looking, for my TV I found several videos on YouTube for picture settings and kept the ones I liked. I don't have HDR10, though have HDR some pictures can be dark though you see the phenomenal detail, I recently bought Superman The Movie in 4K which was initially jarring though after a few viewings the depth and richness in detail is pretty amazing.
    I know what you mean. I initially wasn't impressed but over time I've come to recognize and appreciate the detail. It's not as noticeable as the move from DVD to Blu ray but it definitely does make quite a difference if the tv settings are done properly.

I think the remastered films (like Die Hard or the earlier MI releases) are where the real benefit will be felt, because the new releases are pretty good as they are on blu ray, and the player and tv will upscale it anyway. Something similar happened with the Lowry remasters of the Bond films, where the biggest improvements were felt with the earlier films on blu ray.

Only M:I has arrived so far hopefully the other will be delivered tomorrow, though the first film really looks impressive the image pops for the most part in crystal clarity, there are occasionally obvious shots that are not as sharp though it still looks great.

The early Sean films are unbelievable upscaled to 4K, FRWL I watched again a few weeks ago, my brother could not believe how incredible the film looked.
    Yes, those earlier films look magnificent with upscaling. OHMSS is superb. It's like seeing it for the first time.

Lawrence of Arabia was the first 4K film I bought, and I was shocked how good it was and did some research, it's really down to how it was originally shot. Older movies shot in film will be vastly superior to some digital shot movies that will in many cases be limited to 1080p.

Some films will be taken from 8 or 12K masters
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I saw it twice in theaters so I already knew what to expect, but this time I managed to actively listen to the score and I was blown away, it's brilliantly done and hadn't really stood out to me in my prior two viewings.

Agreed on the disparity between 4K titles; I'm already itching to tweak the brightness/contrast and watch it again.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I saw it twice in theaters so I already knew what to expect, but this time I managed to actively listen to the score and I was blown away, it's brilliantly done and hadn't really stood out to me in my prior two viewings.

Agreed on the disparity between 4K titles; I'm already itching to tweak the brightness/contrast and watch it again.

I listened to the score earlier, I listen to it most days lol Freefall is intense and Steps and Rooftops is incredible. The scene when the Old Skool theme kicks in when Ethan is on the boat after escaping is class (Steps Ahead) that scene purrs. Change of Plan track is my favourite, when Ethan is on the Bike it hits top gear totally awesome.

I knew you had seen the film, just meant glad you enjoyed the 4K watch
    Yeah I kept seeing a lot of people applaud the score, was ashamed that it hadn't stood out to me until the third viewing. Great stuff. I'm really hoping McQuarrie & co. manage to return for the next one, sort of round out this trilogy of sorts they've been working on - though I think we've seen the end of Lane, it may not be the end of the Syndicate yet. Time will tell.
    Yeah I kept seeing a lot of people applaud the score, was ashamed that it hadn't stood out to me until the third viewing. Great stuff. I'm really hoping McQuarrie & co. manage to return for the next one, sort of round out this trilogy of sorts they've been working on - though I think we've seen the end of Lane, it may not be the end of the Syndicate yet. Time will tell.

Part 7 appears to be in early development from things McQuarrie has been saying, I expect the White Widow to return and Ethan and Ilsa relationship to develop though I see that ending badly.
  • boldfinger wrote: »
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, how could I Forget Broken Arrow, shame on me, such a great film!
    I think BROKEN ARROW is by far his best film. One of the most underrated actioners from the 90s. Easily superior to the overrated FACE/OFF. In fact I prefer M:I-2 to FACE/OFF.

Plus that Zimmer score for BROKEN ARROW! Oh my!!! Heavenly music for an action film! Plus Travolta and Slater at their best!! And the NFL’s Howie Long???

'I have no line' amazing movie
    Fallout is of the chart awesome film making This film is phenomenal
    Fallout there are scenes in this film that are world class. When this film is good it's god dam amazing
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have to agree with the general attitude towards Fallout. Watched it on the big screen, and really enjoyed it. Picked up the DVD last week, and enjoyed it all over again. It has the perfect balance of action and drama (EON, I hope you are taking notes). The Helicopter sequence is just something else. Although I think I would have preferred if the film didn't switch between the chase and looking for/diffusing the bombs.

1. Mission: Impossible: Fallout (2018)
    2. Mission: Impossible III (2006)
    3. Mission: Impossible (1996)
    4. Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011)
    5. Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation (2015)
    6. Mission: Impossible 2 (2000)
    I have to agree with the general attitude towards Fallout. Watched it on the big screen, and really enjoyed it. Picked up the DVD last week, and enjoyed it all over again. It has the perfect balance of action and drama (EON, I hope you are taking notes). The Helicopter sequence is just something else. Although I think I would have preferred if the film didn't switch between the chase and looking for/diffusing the bombs.

1. Mission: Impossible: Fallout (2018)
    2. Mission: Impossible III (2006)
    3. Mission: Impossible (1996)
    4. Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011)
    5. Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation (2015)
    6. Mission: Impossible 2 (2000)

Watching Fallout now this really is an incredible movie
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I absolutely adored the film but Cruise's delivery of that line was pretty cringeworthy.

What was with the accent?

I absolutely adored the film but Cruise's delivery of that line was pretty cringeworthy.

In the context of the scene I give it a pass
  • I don’t remember “I have no line”. Which film was that?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited December 2018 Posts: 8,041

In the context of the scene I give it a pass

It made less sense in the context of the scene as he had spoken to the White Widow already and used his regular accent. It's one tiny thing that bugs me in an otherwise fantastic film.
    I don’t remember “I have no line”. Which film was that?

Fallout. When the Widow first briefs Hunt on busting Lane out of custody.

Fallout, during his meeting with the White Widow and she shows surprise at his initial confusion over having to kill all of the cops. Says something about slaughtering women and children with smallpox and how he has no line.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

Fallout, during his meeting with the White Widow and she shows surprise at his initial confusion over having to kill all of the cops. Says something about slaughtering women and children with smallpox and how he has no line.
    Ah, I see. So what’s the issue with this line? Bad delivery?

edited December 2018 Posts: 40,492

Ah, I see. So what’s the issue with this line? Bad delivery?

I've no clue, I wasn't the one that mentioned it, though I do agree that he's got an odd twinge of an accent when he delivers that line. Works well enough for me in him playing the role of Lark, not wanting to come off as soft.
    @Creasy47 does Fallout switch aspect ratio on the 4K disk for the IMAX sequences?
    @Creasy47 does Fallout switch aspect ratio on the 4K disk for the IMAX sequences?

It does, much like The Dark Knight trilogy. It can be a bit jarring, but it's not an issue overall.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

It does, much like The Dark Knight trilogy. It can be a bit jarring, but it's not an issue overall.
    Great news. I love it when it does that on the Nolan films. I find the resolution seems to improve too, or perhaps that's just because of the fact that the image fills the screen.
    Definitely, given that the image is taking up a little more screen space once the widescreen bars are removed. It really pulls you into what's about to be a remarkable action sequence, too.

Awesome I need to buy the disk version ASAP, just when I thought this movie could not possibly get better. I am a IMAX junkie

Awesome I need to buy the disk version ASAP, just when I thought this movie could not possibly get better. I am a IMAX junkie

You're in for as great a time as you had with the 4K's of The Dark Knight trilogy, which I know had you drooling with admiration.

You're in for as great a time as you had with the 4K's of The Dark Knight trilogy, which I know had you drooling with admiration.

I'll shop around for a good price as want to get the steelbook, I can't wait it's going to be awesome

I'll shop around for a good price as want to get the steelbook, I can't wait it's going to be awesome

Yeah I went with the 4K steelbook from Best Buy - that poster used for the cover was one of my favorites, so I had to. Plus, didn't care for the regular 4K/blu-ray art used, that cover actually made for my least favorite poster the marketing team put out - a cheap Photoshop mash-up.

Yeah I went with the 4K steelbook from Best Buy - that poster used for the cover was one of my favorites, so I had to. Plus, didn't care for the regular 4K/blu-ray art used, that cover actually made for my least favorite poster the marketing team put out - a cheap Photoshop mash-up.

The silhouette? Great image that's my current phone wallpaper. I will get that one, I was hoping for a similar design to the other Steelbook's I bought though can't find one.

The silhouette? Great image that's my current phone wallpaper. I will get that one, I was hoping for a similar design to the other Steelbook's I bought though can't find one.

That's the one, it's fantastic.

That's the one, it's fantastic.

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG
    Temporary home i need more shelf space lol

The others films just arrived (for some reason that image shows on my phone though not on my Laptop)