Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,411
    001 wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »
    The second film falls into the so bad its good category for me, though I must admit I am looking forward to rewatching it when it arrives in the post. I find it hilarious how much Tom is on screen, even when its not even Ethan.
    It really is a film that almost lends itself to being a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode you just sit through with friends, have a brew and let the one-liners fly.

MI2 comes across more like a Cruise action movie than an MI film. Luther is the only other thing that ties it to the first, really. There is no team concept, just Hunt, Luther and the nondescript Aussie. Oh and the standard traitor in the organization trope. Not to mention the heavy metal version o fthe MI theme.

Then comes the goofy scenes like the slow-mo shot where the cars spin out of control near the cliff edge (that scene really feels like a rip-off of the car chase with Xenia from GE). That whole fight between Ambrose and Hunt is just goofy rather than brutal. Add in that whole dazed Nyah wandering along the clifftops thing and the Lifetime movie ending and you wonder how this film is part of the same series.

The car spinning cracks me up as does Thandie wandering aimlessly, I am going to have to do a comments when I watch for M:2 when the 4K disk arrives. Its definately the front runner from being removed from cannon its not really linked to the other films other than Luther appearing again.

How much more do the 4k disks cost than normal 1080 disks or are they the same price ?

I picked up the first 5 M: I films for £12 each all 4K Steelbook's limited edition which is a bargain, I got lucky with that purchase. Generally the 4K disks and 4K digital downloads are starting to drop down in price, though its best to shop around as some prices can vary.
    The second film falls into the so bad its good category for me, though I must admit I am looking forward to rewatching it when it arrives in the post. I find it hilarious how much Tom is on screen, even when its not even Ethan.
    It really is a film that almost lends itself to being a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode you just sit through with friends, have a brew and let the one-liners fly.

MI2 comes across more like a Cruise action movie than an MI film. Luther is the only other thing that ties it to the first, really. There is no team concept, just Hunt, Luther and the nondescript Aussie. Oh and the standard traitor in the organization trope. Not to mention the heavy metal version o fthe MI theme.

Then comes the goofy scenes like the slow-mo shot where the cars spin out of control near the cliff edge (that scene really feels like a rip-off of the car chase with Xenia from GE). That whole fight between Ambrose and Hunt is just goofy rather than brutal. Add in that whole dazed Nyah wandering along the clifftops thing and the Lifetime movie ending and you wonder how this film is part of the same series.

The car spinning cracks me up as does Thandie wandering aimlessly, I am going to have to do a comments when I watch for M:2 when the 4K disk arrives. Its definately the front runner from being removed from cannon its not really linked to the other films other than Luther appearing again.

How much more do the 4k disks cost than normal 1080 disks or are they the same price ?

I picked up the first 5 M: I films for £12 each all 4K Steelbook's limited edition which is a bargain, I got lucky with that purchase. Generally the 4K disks and 4K digital downloads are starting to drop down in price, though its best to shop around as some prices can vary.

Sounds like you got a bargain.

What happens if they have 8k next year.
    Will you upgrade ?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Will you upgrade ?

4K will be a ceiling for home viewing for most unless you have space for 100 inch TV. The higher resolution demands larger TV"s. My current TV is 50 inch which for my movie and games room is perfect. 8k will be great for virtual reality though
    edited December 2018 Posts: 1,575

Will you upgrade ?

4K will be a ceiling for home viewing for most unless you have space for 100 inch TV. The higher resolution demands larger TV"s. My current TV is 50 inch which for my movie and games room is perfect. 8k will be great for virtual reality though

Is your tv oled or led ?
    oled etc. seem not very good value for slightly improved picture quality
    50 inch 8k would be a even more amazing resolution for movies.

Will you upgrade ?

Is your tv oled or led ?

LED with HDR so I can still upscale to HDR10, I'll probably stick with what I have for another year or two

Will you upgrade ?

Is your tv oled or led ?

LED with HDR so I can still upscale to HDR10, I'll probably stick with what I have for another year or two

Oled etc. seem not very good value for slightly improved picture quality.
    A Rip off and gimmick unless they get much cheaper ?

Will you upgrade ?

Is your tv oled or led ?

Agree Oled is expensive that's why I got LED, though 4K TVs really have dropped down in price since I bought mine a few years ago

Will you upgrade ?

Is your tv oled or led ?

Agree Oled is expensive that's why I got LED, though 4K TVs really have dropped down in price since I bought mine a few years ago

LED 4k have dropped because they brought out the Oled's 4K etc.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Time to get stoned and watch my 4K copy finally? I do believe so.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'm holding out for 22.5 K system.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Time to get stoned and watch my 4K copy finally? I do believe so.

Which film?
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,541
    QQ7 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    I wince when I read someone say that the MI franchise lifted this or that from Bond; both are of the same genre and are bound to have similarities.
    At this point, virtually anything done in any film can be compared to something that was done in a previous movie; this applies to any genre. I don’t think the people behind MI have ever intentionally set out to ape something done previously in a Bond film.

Respectfully disagree, imho MI directly and purposely borrowed from the Bond movies. Just as Craig era tried to emulate Bourne films, and Connery's Bond was partially inspired by North By Northwest.
    Nothing accidental there.

I think bond tried to emulate the shaky camera things in QOS from Bourne. Just out of curiosity was GF inspired from any other film.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Some may see it as semantics, but there is a difference between inspired and lifting.
    As someone said this in forum and I quote- "Inspiration is good defense for the Intellectual Property rights violators". But every film takes inspiration every now and then .
    Well, I can appreciate that, but inspiration can also result in something very original. Is The Shape of Water a rip-off of The Creature From the Black Lagoon or is it a uniquely original story, inspired by the Univeral classic.
    I’m sure opinions would differ.
    I understand at the Same time I admire originality/creativity over inspiration anyday like Bourne series which were groundbreaking. Bourne series never try to copy bond in any sorts of way.
    If examined, it’s highly likely that the DNA for the Bourne series could be traced back to earlier films.
    Peter Hunt's direction and Editing I think influenced many action movies. OHMSS was way ahead of its time in many ways as was the early Sean films that Terrence did.
  • Would I get crucified if I said that Woo’s M:I-2 improved on Hitchcock’s NOTORIOUS?? And I say this as a big Hitch fan. Big fan of Dougray Scott too! :)
    Big fan of Notorious and mi2 is no way near it imho
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Would I get crucified if I said that Woo’s M:I-2 improved on Hitchcock’s NOTORIOUS?? And I say this as a big Hitch fan. Big fan of Dougray Scott too! :)

Crucifixtion would be letting you off lightly. ;)
    I like thandie Newton just not in mi2 as nyah, acting was really pathetic over the top in that film not to mention cheesy storylines and slow motion action sequences.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2018 Posts: 15,423
    John Woo directs his actors and actresses that way.

Just watch Paycheck, you’ll see pretty much the same type of acting from different people.

It’s not the actors’ fault.
    I have watched paycheck neither good nor bad actually. John woo's films not really my cup of tea.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Not exactly a big fan of Woo myself.

The thing is, the script for M:I-2 is actually great and the premise is excellent. A few minor tweaks here and there, bring in De Palma to direct the exact same script without changes but a few (like omitting the two Berettas Ethan seems to hold in gunfights, and the ridiculous gun-kata), the film would turn out very differently from the very same script.

That’s what’s unfortunate when it comes to the second film.
    I like thandie Newton just not in mi2 as nyah, acting was really pathetic over the top in that film not to mention cheesy storylines and slow motion action sequences.
    I feel the same. It´s a shame, she Comes across so cool and sexy in interviews and other films.
    As @ClarkDevlin says, not the actor´s fault.

John Woo is one of those directors who did amazing stuff in their home Country, then moved to Hollywood and didn´t really follow up. A few German and Scandinavian directors come to mind who shared this fated.

Woo´s first two Hollywood films were great though: Moving Target and Face Off. The rest is something completely different.

Only thing I liked in mi2 is Hugh stamp
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Woo's aesthetic was perfect for the films he was making in the Far East, where differences in language and culture were obviously not an issue. Hard Boiled and The Killer are both fantastic slices of action cinema.

He attempted to break the American market without changing his style all that much, which in itself is pretty admirable, but it only really worked with Face/Off (and to a lesser extent, Broken Arrow). The Gun-Kata stuff actually works with a more Sci-Fi, Martial Arts or Western-like premises as those genres have certain elements that blend well together.

The espionage genre? Not so much. Especially coming off the back of a relatively restrained first film. It just sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Precisely.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, how could I Forget Broken Arrow, shame on me, such a great film!