Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    QQ7 wrote: »
    Just watched "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" for the first time. The sheer number of James Bond recycled material is mind-boggling.
    It's like watching a more entertaining version of khm, khm.. Spectre.

Plots are basically the same. I think the studio realized it pushed MI5 to summer. It was initially supposed to be released after SP
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    shamanimal wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    shamanimal wrote: »
    I watched it last night for the first time. I hadn't got a clue what was going on. I must be thick or something, I had to keep rewinding the DVD to try and make sense of it. The action was great, but the plot lost me completely. I was the same with QOS.

What?! M:I6 and QOS? Really?

Regarding following the plot, I found both FO and QOS very confusing. FO because it was quite convoluted, and QOS because it didn't make much sense. I lost QOS when the Camilla and the motorcyclist came on the scene. After that bit, I hadn't got a Scooby.
    It's interesting that you bring that scene up. I distinctly remember thinking of Bourne at that very moment in the theatre, because that was exactly how the Bourne films were unfolding at that time. They put the protagonist in the thick of it without explanation and the audience works it out with him as he figures things out.
  • QQ7 wrote: »
    Just watched "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" for the first time. The sheer number of James Bond recycled material is mind-boggling.

Plots are basically the same. I think the studio realized it pushed MI5 to summer. It was initially supposed to be released after SP
    Yep.

Evil global organization: Spectre vs Syndicate
    Creepy shadowy head: Blofeld vs Lane
    Touch henchman: Hinx vs Vinter
    Both feature finales in London

Of course RN is much, much better. No soap opera crap with the villain, no washed out/gray cinematography, no dull and draggy scenes, no stupid and shoehorned set pieces that don’t make sense.

Yep.

Of course RN is much, much better. No soap opera crap with the villain, no washed out/gray cinematography, no dull and draggy scenes, no stupid and shoehorned set pieces that don’t make sense.
    RN had Ferguson as well. That was the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned. Additionally, Cruise was on top of his game.
  • bondjames wrote: »

Yep.

RN had Ferguson as well. That was the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned. Additionally, Cruise was on top of his game.
    Yes Ferguson was a HUGE plus in that film. The best M:I girl by far and better than any recent Bond girl I can think of. I’m in love with Becky! :)

bondjames wrote: »

Yep.

Yes Ferguson was a HUGE plus in that film. The best M:I girl by far and better than any recent Bond girl I can think of. I’m in love with Becky! :)
    I know what you mean. I'd love to see more of her character in the future, either in a standalone or in a future MI. There's something very genuine about her, even though we know very little about her character, which makes her intriguing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I know what you mean. I'd love to see more of her character in the future, either in a standalone or in a future MI. There's something very genuine about her, even though we know very little about her character, which makes her intriguing.

Spot-on, gents!

Claire is gone and though I liked Nyah, it's best that we keep M:I 2 locked up in history. Zhen and Jane are extremely beautiful women but they were never more than hot support for the team. Jane especially was a very welcome presence in Ghost Protocol and quite frankly, I wish they had done more with her in the future films. But clearly, that boat has sailed now and with Ethan finally freed from further pursuing Julia, he can focus on Ilsa, with whom I feel he had developed a Platonic thing early on. Also, technically she belongs in a different "house" of spies, making things a tad more interesting than keeping romantic tension within the IMF, that is if romance is ever going to be on the agenda again, of course.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I wince when I read someone say that the MI franchise lifted this or that from Bond; both are of the same genre and are bound to have similarities.
    At this point, virtually anything done in any film can be compared to something that was done in a previous movie; this applies to any genre. I don’t think the people behind MI have ever intentionally set out to ape something done previously in a Bond film.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Spot-on, gents!

Claire is gone and though I liked Nyah, it's best that we keep M:I 2 locked up in history. Zhen and Jane are extremely beautiful women but they were never more than hot support for the team. Jane especially was a very welcome presence in Ghost Protocol and quite frankly, I wish they had done more with her in the future films. But clearly, that boat has sailed now and with Ethan finally freed from further pursuing Julia, he can focus on Ilsa, with whom I feel he had developed a Platonic thing early on. Also, technically she belongs in a different "house" of spies, making things a tad more interesting than keeping romantic tension within the IMF, that is if romance is ever going to be on the agenda again, of course.
    I completely agree. I've liked all of the female characters in the MI films as well, but they've nicely built the Ilsa connection via friendship as you note. It resonates as a result.

With these two some of the viewer intrigue comes from teasing at what could be and which seems so natural. To a degree, that might be more interesting onscreen than actual romance itself, which they may choose to leave for retirement at the end of MI:7.
  • talos7 wrote: »
    I wince when I read someone say that the MI franchise lifted this or that from Bond; both are of the same genre and are bound to have similarities.

There was one scene very reminiscent of Sanchez' escape in LTK, but I'm betting a similar scene can be found in a pre1989 movie as well.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    It's not an issue but very noticeable to me when a Bond-type scene shows up in a non-Bond film. Fallout remote control car. Tomorrow Never Dies.

On the other hand, I'm just as entertained watching items that show up in old Europsy movies that pre-date/anticipate Bond film content that came long after.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    There are certainly cut and paste scenes and plot in the series borrowed from other films, if done well it does not bother me.

The second film took from Notorious though was done badly.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The second film's main problem was the John Woo-ism of the whole product. Otherwise, the script isn't bad at all.
    I like the second film actually. There are some great scenes in it (the Nyah intro and bath scene followed by chase is really well done).

On the whole the film is pretty cheesy, but it's exaggerated fun. Dougray Scott really overracts though. Some serious angst there.
    It's very cheesy because of the John Woo elements, in my opinion.

Otherwise, there's a very stellar plot going around.

Woo just was the wrong director for this sort of film, and really misunderstood the universe built in the first film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The second film falls into the so bad its good category for me, though I must admit I am looking forward to rewatching it when it arrives in the post. I find it hilarious how much Tom is on screen, even when its not even Ethan.
    Well, one could say the Ethan Hunt we knew from the first film was never present. ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'm glad M:I-2 exists, if only for the fact that we might not have gotten Hugh Jackman as Wolverine had it not.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    talos7 wrote: »
    At this point, virtually anything done in any film can be compared to something that was done in a previous movie; this applies to any genre. I don’t think the people behind MI have ever intentionally set out to ape something done previously in a Bond film.

Respectfully disagree, imho MI directly and purposely borrowed from the Bond movies. Just as Craig era tried to emulate Bourne films, and Connery's Bond was partially inspired by North By Northwest.
    Nothing accidental there.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »

Respectfully disagree, imho MI directly and purposely borrowed from the Bond movies. Just as Craig era tried to emulate Bourne films, and Connery's Bond was partially inspired by North By Northwest.
    Nothing accidental there.

Yes, different opinions... ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm glad M:I-2 exists, if only for the fact that we might not have gotten Hugh Jackman as Wolverine had it not.

@CraigMooreOHMSS
    Yes, you're right! Hadn't thought about that in a long time. :D
    RNfVRfO.jpg
    The second film falls into the so bad its good category for me, though I must admit I am looking forward to rewatching it when it arrives in the post. I find it hilarious how much Tom is on screen, even when its not even Ethan.
    It really is a film that almost lends itself to being a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode you just sit through with friends, have a brew and let the one-liners fly.

MI2 comes across more like a Cruise action movie than an MI film. Luther is the only other thing that ties it to the first, really. There is no team concept, just Hunt, Luther and the nondescript Aussie. Oh and the standard traitor in the organization trope. Not to mention the heavy metal version o fthe MI theme.

Then comes the goofy scenes like the slow-mo shot where the cars spin out of control near the cliff edge (that scene really feels like a rip-off of the car chase with Xenia from GE). That whole fight between Ambrose and Hunt is just goofy rather than brutal. Add in that whole dazed Nyah wandering along the clifftops thing and the Lifetime movie ending and you wonder how this film is part of the same series.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    MI2 isn't all bad:

Still my least favourite MI film though.
    MI2 isn't all bad:

This whole sequence is great imho. Dougray really overdoes it though.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2018 Posts: 13,894
    MI2 isn't all bad:

Would it be his "HHHHHUUUUNNNNTTTT!!!!" complete with slight Scanners style head shake?
    MI2 isn't all bad:

Would it be his "HHHHHUUUUNNNNTTTT!!!!" complete with Scanners style head shake?
    Ha ha. That's precisely what comes to mind whenever I think of him in this film. That and the constipated teary eyed thing he has going on often.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 13,894
    MI2 isn't all bad:

Would it be his "HHHHHUUUUNNNNTTTT!!!!" complete with Scanners style head shake?
    Ha ha. That's precisely what comes to mind whenever I think of him in this film. That and the constipated teary eyed thing he has going on often.

I know what you mean. When he tricks Nyah into thinking he is Hunt, and she reveals her true feelings. He has, what looks like, an emotional breakdown.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    It really is a film that almost lends itself to being a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode you just sit through with friends, have a brew and let the one-liners fly.

MI2 comes across more like a Cruise action movie than an MI film. Luther is the only other thing that ties it to the first, really. There is no team concept, just Hunt, Luther and the nondescript Aussie. Oh and the standard traitor in the organization trope. Not to mention the heavy metal version o fthe MI theme.

Then comes the goofy scenes like the slow-mo shot where the cars spin out of control near the cliff edge (that scene really feels like a rip-off of the car chase with Xenia from GE). That whole fight between Ambrose and Hunt is just goofy rather than brutal. Add in that whole dazed Nyah wandering along the clifftops thing and the Lifetime movie ending and you wonder how this film is part of the same series.

The car spinning cracks me up as does Thandie wandering aimlessly, I am going to have to do a comments when I watch for M:2 when the 4K disk arrives. Its definately the front runner from being removed from cannon its not really linked to the other films other than Luther appearing again.
    BT3366 wrote: »

The car spinning cracks me up as does Thandie wandering aimlessly, I am going to have to do a comments when I watch for M:2 when the 4K disk arrives. Its definately the front runner from being removed from cannon its not really linked to the other films other than Luther appearing again.

How much more do the 4k disks cost than normal 1080 disks or are they the same price ?