Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, how could I Forget Broken Arrow, shame on me, such a great film!

Christian Slater, back when he was still one of Hollywood's cool dudes. Great Zimmer score, too. Quite underrated, I think.

Pretty slick action film.

"Goddamn, what a rush!'
    Those were the days. John Travolta inventing a new way to hold his cigarette for every new film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I understand at the Same time I admire originality/creativity over inspiration anyday like Bourne series which were groundbreaking. Bourne series never try to copy bond in any sorts of way.
    The Bourne films were indeed exceptional film making which influenced the genre in ways that are still being felt. Its impact on the James Bond series is clear and obvious.

Regarding MI borrowing from Bond: to me these new MI films aren't Bond films -they are MI films through and through. They focus more on a team. Any similarities are to older Bond films and exist in the stylishness and fantastic use of locations and landmarks, the humour and irony, the ground breaking vehicular and fight action and the general attitude of these films. For me at least, they fill a void which has been vacated by Bond while it continues with the Craig introspective continuity driven experiment. Once Craig is gone Cruise will probably be done with MI as well, and so Bond will be able to go back to occupying that light hearted adventure spy thriller space it held for so long, if Broccoli chooses to cast an actor who can own it, and if she wants to go back there.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,541
    bondjames wrote: »
    I understand at the Same time I admire originality/creativity over inspiration anyday like Bourne series which were groundbreaking. Bourne series never try to copy bond in any sorts of way.
    The Bourne films were indeed exceptional film making which influenced the genre in ways that are still being felt. Its impact on the James Bond series is clear and obvious.

Regarding MI borrowing from Bond: to me these new MI films aren't Bond films -they are MI films through and through. They focus more on a team. Any similarities are to older Bond films and exist in the stylishness and fantastic use of locations and landmarks, the humour and irony, the ground breaking vehicular and fight action and the general attitude of these films. For me at least, they fill a void which has been vacated by Bond while it continues with the Craig introspective continuity driven experiment. Once Craig is gone Cruise will probably be done with MI as well, and so Bond will be able to go back to occupying that light hearted adventure spy thriller space it held for so long, if Broccoli chooses to cast an actor who can own it, and if she wants to go back there.

Yes that is why I think we won't have to wait much longer for next bond actor because EON might go for another soft reboot like Roger Moore time . I want mi to go for more like mi4 for the next film if it's going to be last.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Bourne did have its influences; this is interesting.

7. Liman wanted The Bourne Identity to have the same feel as the German action classic, Run Lola Run. He uses plenty of handheld cameras and other tricks to give the movie the same veracity. He also cast the star of Run Lola Run, Franka Potente, as the female lead, Marie. She was originally written to be an American.
    talos7 wrote: »

7. Liman wanted The Bourne Identity to have the same feel as the German action classic, Run Lola Run. He uses plenty of handheld cameras and other tricks to give the movie the same veracity. He also cast the star of Run Lola Run, Franka Potente, as the female lead, Marie. She was originally written to be an American.
    I didn't know that. It's interesting because Greengrass is known for shaky cam, but it's Liman who really started the ball rolling with that sort of 'docu' feel in the first film. It really worked. Franka was superb in The Bourne Identity, and the romance with Bourne was handled very well too. I recall thinking the film makers showed the vulnerability of Bourne very well in that film, without descending into sap (TWINE). It was a schooling lesson for film makers in this genre.

Yes that is why I think we won't have to wait much longer for next bond actor because EON might go for another soft reboot like Roger Moore time . I want mi to go for more like mi4 for the next film if it's going to be last.
    I have a feeling they will move forward very quickly once B25 is done with the next one. Universal is biding its time imho. They have plans for this franchise (and perhaps for MGM).
    I was talking more about fist fight chase and hand to hand combat. More realistic spy which comes from books which were written more than 15 years before run Lola run.
    Well, you keep moving the bar. My point is that at this point, no film is created in a vacuum, and that there’s a difference between being inspired by and coopting.( ripping off)
    There wasn't much vacuum in 60s as well. I am interested in more originality and less ripping when it comes to Characters and story. For instance Benji in mi and fox in TDk is a lot similar to Q but you won't find any Q in Bourne. There is a lot of common examples but I don't want to bring it over and over.
    No doubt.
    At this rate we’ll be asking who influenced cave drawings. ;)
    Ha ha true. Cave drawings was influenced by got series in season 7 episode 4. Just kidding.
    I think it's all about execution. Not so much the premise. I can appreciate how other see it differently however.

For me, Fox in the Batman films is a brilliant nod to Llewelyn's Q, and came online at a time when EON had dispensed with Q. The same goes for Benji in the MI films. He first appeared in MI:3. There was no Q at that time, since EON had decided to do an origin story (ironically, jumping on the Nolan bandwagon - see how things go in circles).

In the past, there was no comparison to EON. All we had were second rate pretenders. These days I don't see it that way. The Bourne films, the Nolan Batman films and the Cruise/McQuarrie/Bird MI films have truly raised the bar in many ways, and even though they openly are inspired by (and borrow from?) the classic Bond films, they do things in a fresh and interesting way (imho), executing brilliantly. To a large degree, I think they evoke the best of EON better than EON is doing right now. I don't mind it, as long as I get my fix of greatness, and I'm glad that MI is here right now to give it to me.
    Now that I realized about TDK borrowing from bond a few scenes-

Joker shoes from FRWL

Skyhook scene of hongkong from Thunderball ending(fox mention CIA had program back im the 60s to get their people out called skyhook).

Harvey half burned face from GoldenEye (even mentioned Romans in both films)

TDKR opening from LTK

TDK convoy from LTK

Joker shoes from FRWL

Skyhook scene of hongkong from Thunderball ending(fox mention CIA had program back im the 60s to get their people out called skyhook).

TDKR opening from LTK

TDK convoy from LTK
    Precisely. Nolan has openly stated that he was deeply influenced by the earlier Bond films and has incorporated elements into his films (including Inception). The 'passion' is clear. I'm sure McQuarrie and Cruise (given their age) feel similarly. It is that passion that comes across in the execution, even if the premise is reused.

Joker shoes from FRWL

TDKR opening from LTK

TDK convoy from LTK
    Precisely. Nolan has openly stated that he was deeply influenced by the earlier Bond films and has incorporated elements into his films (including Inception). The 'passion' is clear. I'm sure McQuarrie and Cruise (given their age) feel similarly. It is that passion that comes across in the execution, even if the premise is reused.

I respect that but at the same time I want Cary to bring at least one action piece which we haven't seen any film whatsoever.Take fast & furious 6 for example I was blown away by the London chase I don't think any film has ever done it with ramp cars which Luke Evans was driving. I mean how difficult it is to bring something new to the table.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    edited December 2018 Posts: 371
    QQ7 wrote: »
    I wince when I read someone say that the MI franchise lifted this or that from Bond; both are of the same genre and are bound to have similarities.
    At this point, virtually anything done in any film can be compared to something that was done in a previous movie; this applies to any genre. I don’t think the people behind MI have ever intentionally set out to ape something done previously in a Bond film.

Respectfully disagree, imho MI directly and purposely borrowed from the Bond movies. Just as Craig era tried to emulate Bourne films, and Connery's Bond was partially inspired by North By Northwest.
    Nothing accidental there.

I think bond tried to emulate the shaky camera things in QOS from Bourne. Just out of curiosity was GF inspired from any other film.

Helicopter scene in FRWL was straight ripped off from airplane scene in "North By Northwest".

north-by-northwest-watching-recommendation-videoSixteenByNine1050.jpg

helicopter-chase-scene-james-bond-from-russia-with-love-1963-HEHF0A.jpg
    I wince when I read someone say that the MI franchise lifted this or that from Bond; both are of the same genre and are bound to have similarities.
    At this point, virtually anything done in any film can be compared to something that was done in a previous movie; this applies to any genre. I don’t think the people behind MI have ever intentionally set out to ape something done previously in a Bond film.

Respectfully disagree, imho MI directly and purposely borrowed from the Bond movies. Just as Craig era tried to emulate Bourne films, and Connery's Bond was partially inspired by North By Northwest.
    Nothing accidental there.

I think bond tried to emulate the shaky camera things in QOS from Bourne. Just out of curiosity was GF inspired from any other film.

Helicopter scene in FRWL was straight ripped off from airplane scene in "North By Northwest".

north-by-northwest-watching-recommendation-videoSixteenByNine1050.jpg

I know I even mentioned it above somewhere

Joker shoes from FRWL

TDKR opening from LTK

TDK convoy from LTK

I respect that but at the same time I want Cary to bring at least one action piece which we haven't seen any film whatsoever.Take fast & furious 6 for example I was blown away by the London chase I don't think any film has ever done it with ramp cars which Luke Evans was driving. I mean how difficult it is to bring something new to the table.
    Agreed. They need something akin to the parkour sequence in CR, which imho is still the best action sequence in a Craig film, and the most innovative and thrilling to boot.
    In the past, there was no comparison to EON. All we had were second rate pretenders. These days I don't see it that way. The Bourne films, the Nolan Batman films and the Cruise/McQuarrie/Bird MI films have truly raised the bar in many ways, and even though they openly are inspired by (and borrow from?) the classic Bond films, they do things in a fresh and interesting way (imho), executing brilliantly. To a large degree, I think they evoke the best of EON better than EON is doing right now. I don't mind it, as long as I get my fix of greatness, and I'm glad that MI is here right now to give it to me.
    During the '60s and '70s definitely. But I'd say EON was first seriously challenged in the early '80s with the release of Raiders of the Lost Ark, which upped the action game, followed later in the decade by the grittier series like Rambo, Lethal Weapon and Die Hard along with the films of Schwarzenegger.

That's why a lot of people think LTK underperformed as EON just stuck to what it knew by releasing its films every 2 years and just putting the Bond brand out there without much fanfare, thinking just that alone would sell the film.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    During the '60s and '70s definitely. But I'd say EON was first seriously challenged in the early '80s with the release of Raiders of the Lost Ark, which upped the action game, followed later in the decade by the grittier series like Rambo, Lethal Weapon and Die Hard along with the films of Schwarzenegger.

That's why a lot of people think LTK underperformed as EON just stuck to what it knew by releasing its films every 2 years and just putting the Bond brand out there without much fanfare, thinking just that alone would sell the film.
    I agree with you. Even though the films make far more money these days, I feel that in terms of their dominance of the adventure spy thriller space they are as challenged as they were then. The difference is we have a much more global market to sell into and far bigger budgets than Cubby had in the 80s.

I didn't know that. It's interesting because Greengrass is known for shaky cam, but it's Liman who really started the ball rolling with that sort of 'docu' feel in the first film. It really worked. Franka was superb in The Bourne Identity, and the romance with Bourne was handled very well too. I recall thinking the film makers showed the vulnerability of Bourne very well in that film, without descending into sap (TWINE). It was a schooling lesson for film makers in this genre.
    Totally agree. It´s Kind of funny, Greengrass´ style was sold as sort of docu feel, when in fact it was something completely different.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, Fallout. Picture was a little dark but all in all, it looked fantastic.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, Fallout. Picture was a little dark but all in all, it looked fantastic.

Glad you enjoyed it, I have found with some 4K films I need to adjust the picture on occasion. The film is technically brilliant I may watch it again later, awesome score drags me into the film from the off.

Glad you enjoyed it, I have found with some 4K films I need to adjust the picture on occasion. The film is technically brilliant I may watch it again later, awesome score drags me into the film from the off.
    I've noticed this with 4K as well. It's a bit annoying. I normally either switch it to vivid or keep it on standard and adjust the gamma positively and that seems to do the trick.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I've noticed this with 4K as well. It's a bit annoying. I normally either switch it to vivid or keep it on standard and adjust the gamma positively and that seems to do the trick.

I have previously looked online for optimal picture settings for my specific TV so I have two Expert pre sets, I usually end up using one of them from time to time.

I have previously looked online for optimal picture settings for my specific TV so I have two Expert pre sets, I usually end up using one of them from time to time.
    I should probably do the same. I find the HDR10 can be a bit wonky at times too, particularly on remastered films. I bought the Die Hard 4K and found the colour a bit off. I must view it again soon now that I've done some tweaking of my tv and see how it looks. The picture was fantastic, but it was just the colours I wasn't all that pleased with.

I can't wait for them to release the other Die Hards. Hope they get to it soon.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,411

I should probably do the same. I find the HDR10 can be a bit wonky at times too, particularly on remastered films. I bought the Die Hard 4K and found the colour a bit off. I must view it again soon now that I've done some tweaking of my tv and see how it looks. The picture was fantastic, but it was just the colours I wasn't all that pleased with.

It's worth looking, for my TV I found several videos on YouTube for picture settings and kept the ones I liked. I don't have HDR10, though have HDR some pictures can be dark though you see the phenomenal detail, I recently bought Superman The Movie in 4K which was initially jarring though after a few viewings the depth and richness in detail is pretty amazing.

It's worth looking, for my TV I found several videos on YouTube for picture settings and kept the ones I liked. I don't have HDR10, though have HDR some pictures can be dark though you see the phenomenal detail, I recently bought Superman The Movie in 4K which was initially jarring though after a few viewings the depth and richness in detail is pretty amazing.
    I know what you mean. I initially wasn't impressed but over time I've come to recognize and appreciate the detail. It's not as noticeable as the move from DVD to Blu ray but it definitely does make quite a difference if the tv settings are done properly.

I think the remastered 4K films (like Die Hard or the earlier MI releases) are where the real benefit will be felt, because the new releases are pretty good as they are on blu ray, and the player and tv will upscale it anyway. Something similar happened with the Lowry remasters of the Bond films, where the biggest improvements were felt with the earlier films on blu ray.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,411

I know what you mean. I initially wasn't impressed but over time I've come to recognize and appreciate the detail. It's not as noticeable as the move from DVD to Blu ray but it definitely does make quite a difference if the tv settings are done properly.

I think the remastered films (like Die Hard or the earlier MI releases) are where the real benefit will be felt, because the new releases are pretty good as they are on blu ray, and the player and tv will upscale it anyway. Something similar happened with the Lowry remasters of the Bond films, where the biggest improvements were felt with the earlier films on blu ray.

Only M:I has arrived so far hopefully the other will be delivered tomorrow, though the first film really looks impressive the image pops for the most part in crystal clarity, there are occasionally obvious shots that are not as sharp though it still looks great.

The early Sean films are unbelievable upscaled to 4K, FRWL I watched again a few weeks ago, my brother could not believe how incredible the film looked.