Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    All those great posters and they go with that tacky mock-up. I'm going with the steelbook version, much better art on the front and interior.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    All those great posters and they go with that tacky mock-up. I'm going with the steelbook version, much better art on the front and interior.

Yeah that was the first thing I thought too, why that picture of all the good ones
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Finally got round to seeing Fallout. Fun film, kinda ridiculous in parts but then so was Moonraker!

I think the halo jump was all CGI. I know Cruise did real skydive jumps - there are Youtube promo clips so there's no doubt he did real jumps - but the halo jump was done over Dubai desert and yet we see the Paris ground below! How is that possible? Last time I checked Paris wasn't in Dubai. There's other clear CGI in the sequence - the cloud cover, the motion blur around Cavill's character, the fake lightning.

Cruise was hanging from the helicopter near the end of the film. That was pretty impressive. Some cool shots.

The end battle was good although I did laugh when the copters smashed into each other down the ravine. Crazy stuff! LOL! Henry Cavill was his usual "slooow delivery of lines" acting. I don't see much Bond type charisma but who knows, if some director can get some out of him, you never know. Looks doubtful, though. He's a bit flat, perhaps.

Cruise is his usual Mr Intensity. I don't find Ethan Hunt a particularly interesting character. Compared to Bond he's kinda one note and lacks Bond's sophistication. He's a decent action hero but there is no hero quite like James Bond.

I thought the 'Benji hanging' scene was the most dramatic part of the film. Genuinely gruesome and hardcore. There were a few moment I had to look a way from the screen. Yikes!

Overall, it was a fun film. Passed a few hours. I think Ghost Protocol is the best MI film although I'm not a major fan so I wouldn't consider myself an expert.

fanbond123 wrote: »
    Cruise is his usual Mr Intensity. I don't find Ethan Hunt a particularly interesting character. Compared to Bond he's kinda one note and lacks Bond's sophistication. He's a decent action hero but there is no hero quite like James Bond.
    But this is where I find both series a case of double your pleasure rather than a rivalry or comparison. Hunt is somebody who seems almost strictly about being an adrenaline junkie like at the beginning of MI:2, and that's why in the following film he seems awkward around people and in his element when he's at his job. That's all I really need as it's great to see this professional at work.

With Bond you get the dual aspects of the suave and stylish gentleman agent along with his being top notch at being an action hero. So it's Peking Duck and Russian Caviar, I love both series and what they bring without the two resembling each other. There was enough of that in the '60s with spymania.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yes, I enjoy both franchises and have never understood criticizing one to show support for the other.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited November 2018 Posts: 8,034
    talos7 wrote: »
    Yes, I enjoy both franchises and have never understood criticizing one to show support for the other.

Quite right.

I have always seen Ethan Hunt as a vessel for the story, not too dissimilar to Max Rockatansky in the Mad Max films. We knows bits and pieces about him; just enough for the stakes to be appropriately high and how he's likely to act under the circumstances. But, largely he's just someone we live the adventure through. You root for him as he undertakes these insanely dangerous stunts along the way. It's because of this that the films excel at being a dose of pure adrenaline. They're fantastic fun.

There's a lot to be said about MI filling the gap that Bond has left since it has gone for a more prestige picture approach. But the MI flicks are a different to the older films that such an argument could claim they are replacing. They simply just elicit the same feelings of satisfaction.

It's neither better nor worse than Bond, and vice-versa. It's just different, and thankfully so.
    I also look at it like being a fan during the mid '60s with spy TV series, although I didn't live during that time frame. You could enjoy The Man from UNCLE and The Avengers on one level and Secret Agent and I Spy on another. There will always be blatant rip-offs, but it's not the case here.
    @fanbond123, the jump was 100% real and was one shot, the only CGI is them overlaying the city of Paris atop the Dubai desert, and the lightning storm (of course).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Quite right.

I have always seen Ethan Hunt as a vessel for the story, not too dissimilar to Max Rockatansky in the Mad Max films. We knows bits and pieces about him; just enough for the stakes to be appropriately high and how he's likely to act under the circumstances. But, largely he's just someone we live the adventure through. You root for him as he undertakes these insanely dangerous stunts along the way. It's because of this that the films excel at being a dose of pure adrenaline. They're fantastic fun.

There's a lot to be said about MI filling the gap that Bond has left since it has gone for a more prestige picture approach. But they're even different to the older films that that argument could claim they are replacing.

It's neither better nor worse than Bond, and vice-versa. It's just different, and thankfully so.
    I agree. Well said.

At least from my perspective they have filled a void in the market. Sure it's not Bond and it's not meant to be. It's MI. Having said that, I really enjoy the tone, the stylishness, the flair and the attitude of the last three films in particular.
    @fanbond123, the jump was 100% real and was one shot, the only CGI is them overlaying the city of Paris atop the Dubai desert, and the lightning storm (of course).

I thought they did a ridiculous number of jumps to get that scene.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 40,473
    vzok wrote: »

Countless jumps and one take - they had a three or so minute window to get the lighting just right, so they'd only get one crack a day at it.

Countless jumps and one take - they had a three or so minute window to get the lighting just right, so they'd only get one crack a day at it.

That is true. However there is some digital trickery involved as Cavill didn't jump at the same time as Cruise. Cavill never actually did a HALO jump.
    Cavill didn't, but I love that the camera operator totally did, time and time again. Takes some balls.
    Cavill didn't, but I love that the camera operator totally did, time and time again. Takes some balls.

Absolutely. And speaking from experience, it's quite difficult to jump even with a DSLR or even a GoPro on your head. Can only imagine the difficulty someone would have jumping with a 12lb digital film camera. Really quite impressive regardless of the technical wizardry either side of it.
    Not only the jump itself with the equipment, but focusing on filming the entire time, always keeping Cruise in frame and ensuring he's getting the perfect shots. Must've been quite tough.
    I wonder how many days was spent on getting these jumps done.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited November 2018 Posts: 3,985

To be honest it all seems a bit indulgent to me.

Especially when the whole sequence looks like CGI anyway.

It was only after i'd seen the film that i found out Cruise did the jump for real.

When i re-watched it it still looked like special effects.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 7,980
    Self indulgent or not , as Tom approached the rear of the plane and leaped, knowing that it was real made the scene incredibly exciting. Of course the sequence was digitally enhanced, but to dismiss how impressive it is for one of Hollywood’s top stars to actually be doing a Halo Jump , in large part for the benefit of the audience, is curious.
    I guess one could concentrate on what was done with CGI, but I’m about the actual jump.
    This is 100% commitment on Tom, and his team.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 3,985
    Self indulgent or not , as Tom approached the rear of the plane and leaped, knowing that it was real made the scene incredibly exciting. Of course the sequence was digitally enhanced, but to dismiss how impressive it is for one of Hollywood’s top stars to actually be doing a Halo Jump , in large part for the benefit of the audience, is curious.
    I guess one could concentrate on what was done with CGI, but I’m about the actual jump.
    This is 100% commitment on Tom, and his team.

I'm certainly not disputing Tom's commitment. The stunt on the wing of the plane in Rogue Nation was incredible, much like a lot of stuff Tom has done himself. All i'm saying is that the Halo jump itself could have been done with effects and it wouldn't have looked any different. There are already lots of effects shots in the sequence, so it wasn't all real. Apparently Tom Cavill didn't even jump at the same time anyway.

And i would imagine 90% of audiences watching the film would be completely oblivious that some of it was done for real.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited November 2018 Posts: 2,541

It was only after i'd seen the film that i found out Cruise did the jump for real.

My thoughts exactly, it was like Spectre all over again for me, they did it all for real but didn't showed up on the screen as much as I expected.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

My thoughts exactly, it was like Spectre all over again for me, they did it all for real but didn't showed up on the screen as much as I expected.

There is a slight "digital" feel to the M:I-F scene. I wouldn't be surprised if they had added some effects to it in post-production. The lightning, of course. But to tell the truth, I don't know if this perception of CGI comes entirely from the film itself or from my unconsciously expecting things to be CGI these days.

Still, quite the terrific scene. Succeeds at creating a feeling of immediacy.
    I'm an effects aficionado and no doubt the scenes MI:F were sweetened a bit , but without a doubt doing the lions share of the work practically adds to the effectiveness of the sequence.
    Hunter Killer had a similar scene and it wasn't nearly as effective.

Funnily enough it reminded me of SPECTRE's own indulgence. Lets break a world record with the largest ever filmed explosion just because we can. Something that could have been achieved just as well with effects.

The exploding air hanger in the OP PTS is more spectacular than anything achieved in SP.

Done with miniatures i believe.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I didn't have any problem with any sequence in MI:Fallout. The halo jump sequence seemed like a lot of work for what ended up onscreen though. Was it thrilling? Sure, but imho not any more thrilling than the similar sequence in TND. I actually think the MR PTS fall trumps them all still.

So from a 'bang for buck and effort' standpoint it wasn't such a big thing. Not like the Burj sequence in GP, the plane or bike sequence in RN or the copter sequence in Fallout, all of which came across as top drawer stuff onscreen.
    Not only the jump itself with the equipment, but focusing on filming the entire time, always keeping Cruise in frame and ensuring he's getting the perfect shots. Must've been quite tough.

Very physically demanding. I know they shoot these kind of things a bit wider and reframe them afterwards, bit even with that under consideration, it's a big challenge. I understand people who say they should/could have just done the whole thing in post as they had to add a significant amount of effects to it, but for me it's a moot point.

In the end, the scene is spectacular and that's all that matters to me really.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I didn't have any problem with any sequence in MI:Fallout. The halo jump sequence seemed like a lot of work for what ended up onscreen though. Was it thrilling? Sure, but imho not any more thrilling than the similar sequence in TND. I actually think the MR PTS fall trumps them all still.

So from a 'bang for buck and effort' standpoint it wasn't such a big thing. Not like the Burj sequence in GP, the plane or bike sequence in RN or the copter sequence in Fallout, all of which came across as top drawer stuff onscreen.
    I have to agree. Since I never saw the TSWLM ski jump in the cinema, I didn't have that reference, but I did see MR's freefall and at the time was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen and still stands out.

It didn't help MI:F that I'd seen a HALO jump 20 years before in TND. It's cool Cruise did it himself, but as bondjames points out, there were numerous other scenes in MI and Bond that stood out far more.

If I really have to pick a standout sequence in recent MI films, it's not always the big-money stunts - although I love the hanging onto the plane sequence - it's something like the opera house sequence in RN that get me for its pure inventiveness, the vulnerability of the hero and the Hitchcockian influence with the mysterious woman and unpredicatability of the sequence.
    Lol, at this point any stunt that is done will be attributed, by some, to what was done in a Bond film.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, thought I would post this article interview with Fallout VFX supervisor Huw Evans. Might answer some questions some of you have.
    http://www.artofvfx.com/mission-impossible-fallout-huw-evans-vfx-supervisor-dneg/

Just finished watching Fallout on bluray. Might be the quickest 2 1/2 hour movie I've ever watched. Just incredible.
  • RC7RC7
    Something I think hampers practical effects in this day and age is grading/colouring. You run the risk of creating a heightened reality (or unreality) that plays with your subconscious.

There’s also knowledge/acceptance of CGI’s prevelance, which combined with the above risks subconsciously confusing viewers.

For example there are certain moments in the SP PTS where specific practical shots of the chopper don’t always give an appearance of ‘reality’, where every (non-back projected) equivalent in the FYEO PTS is undoubtedly ‘real’.

I have a vested interest (as most on here do) in the craft so we’re attuned to it, but a lot of casual viewers I know just ‘assume’ stunts are at least partially CGI. For example - several people I know just took it as read that the plane sequence in RN was primarily a visual effect.
    I've noticed that at times in particular films too, @RC7. Like you mentioned, that helicopter work in the SP PTS is mostly practical throughout, but the filtering used does give it a "fake" look at times.