NO TIME TO DIE- is it divisive?

Comments

• M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    It's definitely a divisive film. The first month this film came out was the honeymoon phase; now people are discussing it critically.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited February 2022 Posts: 538
    Positive: 25
    Negative: 3

This is a bad metric for measuring divisiveness. Just because someone likes a film overall, doesn't mean it didn't have lots of controversial or divisive parts in it.

For example, someone may vote positive because they liked 60% of it but disagreed with 40%.

A better metric would be: Loved It, Liked It, Disliked it.

With this film, I suspect many people will like it but not love it.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    M16_Cart wrote: »
    Negative: 3

This is a bad metric for measuring divisiveness. Just because someone likes a film overall, doesn't mean it didn't have lots of controversial or divisive parts in it.

For example, someone may vote positive because they liked 60% of it but disagreed with 40%.

A better metric would be: Loved It, Liked It, Disliked it.

With this film, I suspect many people will like it but not love it.

I've been confused with this thread from the beginning. The question posed is "is it divisive?" but then the voting questions whether we feel positive or negative about the film? They're two different asks to me. I don't see how anyone, regardless of how they feel about the end result, could argue it's not a divisive installment.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,866
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I've been confused with this thread from the beginning...I don't see how anyone, regardless of how they feel about the end result, could argue it's not a divisive installment.
    Exactly. Some of us love it, some of us hate it - it's demonstrably divisive. The thing that's confused me with this thread is when people don't seem to have grasped what 'divisive' means... Good job we weren't asked if it was 'polarising', eh! ;)
  • hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    Negative from me. No surprise there after my constant moaning about it XD

Are we still doing the scores?
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited May 2022 Posts: 3,378
    Same @hoppimike

Negative: 5 (+2) you're now counted here @hoppimike

I'm really sad, I've had high expectations for Craig's last outing, but it's all been swept away. 😔
    I didn't liked that they made this as a follow up to SPECTRE, and this film also felt like Bond's greatest hits, with too many references to the previous films, and the repetitive use of OHMSS themes felt like an insult to the OG film, and almost changing the character, not against with humanizing Bond, but it's too much here, that they've crossed some lines.
  • I think NTTD is classic Bond personally but I get why people are getting worked up about it. Craig wanted Bond killed off so who can argue with the best actor to have played the role.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 2,658
    I don't think simply saying 'positive' or 'negative' is a good way of accessing how divisive this film is. I'm more positive than negative about it but I'm still divided about the film in general.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    007HallY wrote: »
    I don't think simply saying 'positive' or 'negative' is a good way of accessing how divisive this film is. I'm more positive than negative about it but I'm still divided about the film in general.
    Exactly.
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Same @hoppimike

I'm really sad, I've had high expectations for Craig's last outing, but it's all been swept away. 😔
    I didn't liked that they made this as a follow up to SPECTRE, and this film also felt like Bond's greatest hits, with too many references to the previous films, and the repetitive use of OHMSS themes felt like an insult to the OG film, and almost changing the character, not against with humanizing Bond, but it's too much here, that they've crossed some lines.

Thanks! And I feel like Skyfall did that too much too. The bit with the DB5 felt kind of cringe to me... sorry if that sounds harsh.

In NTTD I felt like it was used BETTER but I still wasn't huge on it.

I just looked it up actually and in Goldfinger the machine guns were hidden between the small lights not the big ones... I think that's better.

Spectre was fantastic. Not perfect but just SO SO good, lol

The car chase was amazing, the MI6 building being detonated as Bond sped out on the boat... just perfect, honestly. Intelligent and imaginative and NOT derivative!!

It felt stylish, modern, fresh... and I won't keep going because I think I've gushed over Spectre enough now!

I can't comment on OHMSS as I haven't actually seen all of it yet. I found that girl in it a bit much to take and I stopped watching about a third in. I'll finish it soon though!
    hoppimike wrote: »
    Same @hoppimike

Thanks! And I feel like Skyfall did that too much too. The bit with the DB5 felt kind of cringe to me... sorry if that sounds harsh.

I just looked it up actually and in Goldfinger the machine guns were hidden between the small lights not the big ones... I think that's better.

The car chase was amazing, the MI6 building being detonated as Bond sped out on the boat... just perfect, honestly. Intelligent and imaginative and NOT derivative!!

It felt stylish, modern, fresh... and I won't keep going because I think I've gushed over Spectre enough now!

I can't comment on OHMSS as I haven't actually seen all of it yet. I found that girl in it a bit much to take and I stopped watching about a third in. I'll finish it soon though!

Girl? Is it Tracy or those Piz Gloria patients? Well I don't want to pop the bubble on you, as you're not a fan of NTTD and currently watching OHMSS, but this film heavily inspired NTTD, so I'm hoping that it would not affect your watching, it's a great film, it's the most faithful to the source material and an absolute favorite of mine, it's one of the best (dare I say it) 😅

Yeah, it's a bit long so it will take (maybe) two days to finish it, it's the longest Bond film in the classic era, only to be beaten by NTTD in the record.

I'm surprised that you've liked SPECTRE, not so good, but I still take it over NTTD though.
    Girl? Is it Tracy or those Piz Gloria patients? Well I don't want to pop the bubble on you, as you're not a fan of NTTD and currently watching OHMSS, but this film heavily inspired NTTD, so I'm hoping that it would not affect your watching, it's a great film, it's the most faithful to the source material and an absolute favorite of mine, it's one of the best (dare I say it) 😅

Yeah, it's a bit long so it will take (maybe) two days to finish it, it's the longest Bond film in the classic era, only to be beaten by NTTD in the record.

I'm surprised that you've liked SPECTRE, not so good, but I still take it over NTTD though.

Tracy I think, haha. Kind of strange that the female character who put me off is his future wife! She just had... quite a bit of attitude, lol. It grated a bit for me and I found it hard to watch too much of the film so I decided to watch a different one instead.

I do intend on going back to it though and I always did, but I just felt like switching to another on that occasion.

Spectre just had a great vibe I think. It felt like a very confident film.

Honestly that moment where Q discovers that Bond has stolen the DB10 has to be one of my favourite Bond moments ever. I was beaming when that happened because I was really never a fan of the Skyfall approach of taking things AWAY from Bond all the time.

When Q said the DB10 had been assigned to 009 my reaction was "Can we just follow 009 then??" XD

Don't get me wrong I love the character of James Bond but I just wanted some gadgets and cars and confidence!

I don't know if that makes sense? Maybe?

Tracy I think, haha. Kind of strange that the female character who put me off is his future wife! She just had... quite a bit of attitude, lol. It grated a bit for me and I found it hard to watch too much of the film so I decided to watch a different one instead.

I do intend on going back to it though and I always did, but I just felt like switching to another on that occasion.

Spectre just had a great vibe I think. It felt like a very confident film.

Honestly that moment where Q discovers that Bond has stolen the DB10 has to be one of my favourite Bond moments ever. I was beaming when that happened because I was really never a fan of the Skyfall approach of taking things AWAY from Bond all the time.

When Q said the DB10 had been assigned to 009 my reaction was "Can we just follow 009 then??" XD

Don't get me wrong I love the character of James Bond but I just wanted some gadgets and cars and confidence!

I don't know if that makes sense? Maybe?

Well it will grow on many rewatches. 😉

I understand you, well it's faithfully adapted from the source material, so her character, that's how Fleming wrote her, actually she's much better in the film.
    she was much more unpleasant in the books, if you didn't liked her attitude in the film, then the book will make you appreciate her film counterpart really, she's neurotic and her hysterical attitude makes it more detrimental to the character, and if the film given her much more to do, then in the novel she has less to zero presence that she didn't appear that much.

she's one of my least favorites in the books/novels, but my favorite in the film, though I'll admit she's not really that fun or nice. 😅

Well in the films, I liked her more than Vesper, I didn't found Vesper that compelling, maybe it's just me, she doesn't do much, and her romance with Bond was rushed that it's not believable.

OHMSS and Skyfall has captured the tone of the novels.

Gosh, SPECTRE grows on me on every rewatch, it's one of the bond films I find rewatchable, except Madeleine, I just don't look at her face, I'm trying to avoid whenever the camera focuses on her 😅, yeah it's a bit weird.
    Same @hoppimike

Your last paragraph made my eyes roll so far up!!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Same @hoppimike

True, even me I was shocked.
    Also this:

Also this:

heh, what did I say? I just had a whole bunch of Bond movies left to watch at the time so I figured I'd switch to another one if I wasn't "feeling" this.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 3,210

Also this:

heh, what did I say? I just had a whole bunch of Bond movies left to watch at the time so I figured I'd switch to another one if I wasn't "feeling" this.

Loosing credibility on here by the seconds, mate.... ;)
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited May 2022 Posts: 2,161
    I don’t understand why you guys are so down on somebody with an a popular opinion. Do you want us all to think the same thing? I don’t want someone to be too intimidated to come on here for their preferences. And if he hasn’t seen all the films, that’s a pleasant rarity on here: to see somebody developing as a fan. I don’t want anybody mocked for their opinions.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I personally love seeing first time reviews for the films; I catch them on Letterboxd all the time and they're such a treat for someone who has seen them hundreds of times. No better way to ensure newcomers don't sign up and share their thoughts in the future than knocking someone for how they go about watching them.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I don’t understand why you guys are so down on somebody with an a popular opinion. Do you want us all to think the same thing?
    Yes. Bring on the hivemind (as long as the hivemind shares my opinions).
    Love No Time to Die.
    I don’t understand why you guys are so down on somebody with an a popular opinion. Do you want us all to think the same thing? I don’t want someone Ro be too intimidated to come on here for their preferences. And if he hasn’t seen all the films, that’s a pleasant rarity on here: to see somebody developing as a fan. I don’t want anybody mocked for their opinions.

That's an interesting process to witness for sure. I too wish we saw it more often here.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don’t understand why you guys are so down on somebody with an a popular opinion. Do you want us all to think the same thing? I don’t want someone to be too intimidated to come on here for their preferences. And if he hasn’t seen all the films, that’s a pleasant rarity on here: to see somebody developing as a fan. I don’t want anybody mocked for their opinions.

Agreed. Incredibly dickish to do so - even if it was meant in jest as it doesn't always come across that way.

Mine was a joke, meant only in jest. Hence the winky at the end.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I guess I missed that.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart

Yeah, I love that. I heard a podcast series once, and I wish I could remember what it was called, where one of the hosts was watching Bond for the first time and giving his impressions to the other hosts who were longer fans. It was a delight to hear him gush about how great Dalton was, and hilarious to hear him tell the flabbergasted co-hosts that absent nostalgia, there's not much interesting about Goldeneye.

It's always illuminating to hear the thoughts of someone uninterested in or unaware of what they're supposed to like!

I do think Goldeneye has some nice thematic stuff with being the first Bond film in a post Cold War world, but the main appeal of it to me, and certainly the main appeal of the next two that proceed it, is that I just think they're fun to watch.

I understand you, well it's faithfully adapted from the source material, so her character, that's how Fleming wrote her, actually she's much better in the film.
    she was much more unpleasant in the books, if you didn't liked her attitude in the film, then the book will make you appreciate her film counterpart really, she's neurotic and her hysterical attitude makes it more detrimental to the character, and if the film given her much more to do, then in the novel she has less to zero presence that she didn't appear that much.

she's one of my least favorites in the books/novels, but my favorite in the film, though I'll admit she's not really that fun or nice. 😅

Well in the films, I liked her more than Vesper, I didn't found Vesper that compelling, maybe it's just me, she doesn't do much, and her romance with Bond was rushed that it's not believable.

Gosh, SPECTRE grows on me on every rewatch, it's one of the bond films I find rewatchable, except Madeleine, I just don't look at her face, I'm trying to avoid whenever the camera focuses on her 😅, yeah it's a bit weird.

I'll reply to this one again because I have no idea why I'm getting dogpiled on a bit in this thread!!

I finally finished watching Majesty and... yeah, it was good! I gave 8/10 on IMDb.

I'm glad her character toned down pretty quickly.

It wasn't a perfect film but I enjoyed it and it's nice to have something a bit different at least sometimes.

Now I only have the rest of Live And Let Die and then that's it! I've seen all 25, plus also NSNA.

I may also watch the other non-Eon films but... the only one I even know of is the older Casino Royale version and apparently it's not very good!

We'll see :)

I'll reply to this one again because I have no idea why I'm getting dogpiled on a bit in this thread!!

I finally finished watching Majesty and... yeah, it was good! I gave 8/10 on IMDb.

I'm glad her character toned down pretty quickly.

It wasn't a perfect film but I enjoyed it and it's nice to have something a bit different at least sometimes.

Now I only have the rest of Live And Let Die and then that's it! I've seen all 25, plus also NSNA.

I may also watch the other non-Eon films but... the only one I even know of is the older Casino Royale version and apparently it's not very good!

We'll see :)

Thank you, well in terms of unofficial ones, here's what you need to watch aside from CR'67:

Never Say Never Again, 1983 (Sean Connery)
    Climax! Casino Royale, 1954 (Barry Nelson)
    SNL : James Bond Skit/Parody (No Time To Die Sneak Peek), 2020 (Daniel Craig)
    Daniel Craig vs James Bond Heineken, 2020 (Daniel Craig)
    The Man From Uncle: TV Movie, 1983 (George Lazenby)
    Mainly Millicent, 1964 (Roger Moore)
    Hitchcock Presents: Diamonds Aren't Forever, 1989 (George Lazenby)
    Omnibus: The British Hero, 1973 (Christopher Cazenove)
    Casino Royale, 1967 (David Niven)
    Happy and Glorious (Daniel Craig's Bond and the Queen).
    Thank you, well in terms of unofficial ones, here's what you need to watch aside from CR'67:

Never Say Never Again, 1983 (Sean Connery)
    Climax! Casino Royale, 1954 (Barry Nelson)
    SNL : James Bond Skit/Parody (No Time To Die Sneak Peek), 2020 (Daniel Craig)
    Daniel Craig vs James Bond Heineken, 2020 (Daniel Craig)
    The Man From Uncle: TV Movie, 1983 (George Lazenby)
    Mainly Millicent, 1964 (Roger Moore)
    Hitchcock Presents: Diamonds Aren't Forever, 1989 (George Lazenby)
    Omnibus: The British Hero, 1973 (Christopher Cazenove)
    Casino Royale, 1967 (David Niven)
    Happy and Glorious (Daniel Craig's Bond and the Queen).

hm, that would be a lot to add to my list! I've seen Happy and Glorious back in 2012 and thought it was really cool :)

I've also seen NSNA and enjoyed it.

I probably will at least take the time to watch CR 1967 but I do not have high hopes. XD