NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Members' Reviews and Discussions (SPOILERS)

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Keep thinking about how much I really enjoyed this movie. Need it to be released on physical media ASAP!

I’m very eager for it to hit 4K already. I’m desperate to watch this on my TV.

I need it fast - can't afford more theater trips XD and yes, it'll be fun to watch from the comfort of my home and have it join the others as a familiar title!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Keep thinking about how much I really enjoyed this movie. Need it to be released on physical media ASAP!

I need it fast - can't afford more theater trips XD and yes, it'll be fun to watch from the comfort of my home and have it join the others as a familiar title!

Its spot on my shelf is already empty and waiting! I’d just rent it but I’m a cheap ass and would rather wait a few weeks, save the money on the rental, and then have the experience feel even more fresh since I’ll have waited so long since my last viewing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

As much as I love the cinema experience and everything that comes with it, I have also come to appreciate the pristine color beauty, clarity and sharpness my TV has to offer. In truth, I can't wait for another round of NTTD on that particular medium either.

Its spot on my shelf is already empty and waiting! I’d just rent it but I’m a cheap ass and would rather wait a few weeks, save the money on the rental, and then have the experience feel even more fresh since I’ll have waited so long since my last viewing.

I relate 100% X) I do want to take the plunge and get a new collection with all of them though for the sake of completeness, with this era having ended. I never upgraded to 4K - content with DVDs/Blu-Rays myself - but I'm sure it will look fantastic. I can't wait to be able to see it at home multiple times though and have the fun of catching tons of things on countless rewatches like I have the other Bond films I have watched so many times.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,923
    It'll be quite a contrast from seeing it twice in the cinema - when I next watch it, it'll be on a rubbish works' laptop via Amazon Prime! Talk about lower standards...
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    My only viewing was opening weekend. It was enough to remove me from these forums since then. I do want to see it before it leaves theaters but the ending is what prevented me to do so. I'm trying to go through the film from what I remember from my only viewing.

The opening scene in Norway was odd, for lack of a better term. It didn't scream Bond at all, but I guess that's what they were going for. However, it was very suspenseful and really picked up after Madeline shoots Safin.

Matera- Excellent. Probably my favorite PTS of the Craig era, if not the series. I loved how they dragged it out. Leaving Madeline on the train as the dots started moving. One of my favourite anticipation of Bond films is the transition from the PTS to the credits.

Jamaica/Cuba- Again, great stuff. I was smiling the entire Cuba sequence from when he meets Paloma to stealing the plane. That whole sequence just screamed classic Bond to me. Not a fan of how Felix died, but it is what it is.

London- Good to see them back together. Meeting with Q at his house was a great touch.

Blofeld/Norway- This is when it starts to get weird for me. I definitely liked Waltz performance this time as Blofeld. However, Bond kinda goes off the rails here. I didn't mind that Bond discovers he has a child. A part of me, in my head, would just end the film here when he makes Mathilde breakfast, but I would miss out on the pretty good chase/stalk through the woods, as well as how Ash is disposed of.

Safins Lair- Great action and tension and good dialogue between Safin and Bond.

With that being said, I felt gutted that Bond ends up dying. I dont know if I was more upset that he dies or the creative decision for him to die. That alone was enough, at the time, to not want to see it again. I've watched bootleg YouTube clips of his final scenes to make future viewings more bearable. My wife asked me as we were leaving the theater if I wanted a picture in front of the giant cardboard cutout. I rejected, thinking it was like taking a picture in front of a gravestone. If there was literally any other ending that didn't involve him dying, then it would have been a perfect 10/10 for me as a whole. I'll rate it a 7/10 since I can make up for the ending with everything great that came before it.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    For me it was the creative decision far more than the actual death that bothered me. I have never bought into the Craig soap opera, though I've loved (most of) the films. The death carried no emotional or narrative distress for me.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2021 Posts: 17,687
    Birdleson wrote: »
    For me it was the creative decision far more than the actual death that bothered me. I have never bought into the Craig soap opera, though I'v love the films. The death carried no emotional or narrative distress for me.

When I say I was depressed after seeing NTTD, I don't mean it was because Bond died- it was because I had just seen a Bond film I would never watch again. And it hammered home something for me: all through Craig's tenure I was trying to enjoy his movies. QOS was the only movie I had only slight issues with, all the others had stuff I had to accept to like them, just because it's all the new Bond we've been getting.
    My favourite Bond movies I merely enjoy. I don't have to try. Well, okay, I have to 'try' a little with AVTAK...
    Anyway NTTD makes more angry than anything else.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Birdleson wrote: »
    For me it was the creative decision far more than the actual death that bothered me. I have never bought into the Craig soap opera, though I'v love the films. The death carried no emotional or narrative distress for me.

This.

The melodrama in the DC era has always felt forced to me (apart from Vespers demise, well handled), though I've always looked past the whole shenanigan and have found other things that I do genuinely enjoy about his films.
    It's the poor way the death was constructed that I found disappointing, not the actual outcome...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2021 Posts: 12,459
    So once again into this thread ... countering the negatives, which I respect because people must hold their own feelings authentic and valid. We will most likely ALWAYS differ on the ending of this Bond movie. I am okay with us having differences.

But today I want to say again that I enjoy the whole film, and I still - after much thought and having seen it 3 times in the cinema - find the fitting heroic, noble, moving, truly fitting and appropriate for Craig's Bond. And I am very glad this was done the way it was. So well delivered, in my opinion. It need never be done again, but having the full story arc with Craig's Bond is a real gift for me. I'm actually happy EON chose to be this brave, do it once and do it right, with this particular director, cinematographer, and actors. All superb. All memorable - and for me, that means memorable in a good way. I still rank this film very highly. It won't change much for me over the years.

I love Daniel Craig's Bond movies. He will be missed greatly by many. At the same time, I am so satisfied with the ending of NTTD and that story arc, that I feel excited about the next film. It will be different, something fresh, and that is great to look forward to.
    I am so satisfied with the ending of NTTD and that story arc, that I feel excited about the next film. It will be different, something fresh, and that is great to look forward to.
    It will be different, something around 2025....
    ;)
    I need a Bond Marathon....
    edited November 2021 Posts: 12,459
    I think the next one will be out in 3 years tops ... but I hope for Xmas 2023.
    There I'm on record saying that. That would mean announcement of new Bond actor by summer and new director by fall. A bit hasty? Perhaps.. B-)
    I think the next one will be out in 3 years tops ... but I hope for Xmas 2023.
    There I'm on record saying that. That would mean announcement of new Bond actor by summer and new director by fall. A bit hasty? Perhaps.. B-)

Like I've said before, just get Dalton & de-age-y him. Martin Campbell is still in action. There. See? I'm a problem eliminator.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Considering NTTD was delayed because of the pandemic, and so it has been sitting in finished state for over a year and a half, is it possible we will see the next Bond film released in less time than usual (whatever usual means) since they may have been doing some pre-production work already? Or is the search for the new actor a bottleneck that will result in no reduced time?
    My wife asked me as we were leaving the theater if I wanted a picture in front of the giant cardboard cutout. I rejected, thinking it was like taking a picture in front of a gravestone.

I can completely get that.

In March (or was it April) 2020 I had a lovely day out planned for me and my girlfriend for the first day of NTTD; Imax cinema, meal first, drinks afterwards and a swanky hotel room booked. Lockdown ruined that, and now I'm glad it did, because I'd have come out the cinema with a mood like someone had keyed my DB5*
    And that's not to say people that liked the ending are wrong, it's just that the ending was wrong for me. But it wasn't wrong like the para-surfing was wrong, or the pigeon was wrong, it was wronger on a deeper level. It felt disrespectful to the whole cinematic James Bond deal.
    I wouldn't have wanted my photo taken with the cardboard cutout either. Not after I watched them kill him off.

*I don't have a DB5, of course. But I do have a girlfriend.
    Martin Campbell, I love but his age is against him.
    I definitely want Cary back as my first choice. With Linus.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    Martin Campbell, I love but his age is against him.

My concern as well, which makes me sad, because historically he's been so strong.
    Martin’s my first choice despite his age. I believe in him, and he could end up finishing with a super awesome “Bond trilogy” of his own, so to speak. GE and CR are easily eternal classics as far as I’m concerned. Fukunaga again maybe. No Nolan or Mendes please. Heck I’d be interested in seeing Forster again even though it’ll never happen.
    Fukunaga again maybe. No Nolan or Mendes please. Heck I’d be interested in seeing Forster again even though it’ll never happen.

I line up with all of that. I'm back and forth on Fukunaga.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Let's throw Craig, Forster, and PWB together, just to see what we get. ;)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I watched NTTD the fifth time in the cinema tonight. Two friends haven't seen it so far and I had to go with them for their education ;)
    I was surprised that they didn't have the slightest problem with the ending. They thought it worked very well this way (and they haven't been spoilered before).
    All my five (male) colleagues that watched it with me liked or even loved NTTD. The only one who didn't enjoy it was my wife ;)

While the first hour of the movie is close to perfection, the rest is still very good, imo. I couldn't sleep much after my first screening, but the more I watch it the more I'm convinced that the ending is fitting and doesn't drag the movie at all. A great Bond movie with the chance to enter my top ten. I'm still not sure if I prefer it to SF (my #10) or not. Time to watch SF soon...

For me it’s the fact they didn’t drag the ending out. Bond meets his fate, they have a small toast in the office, and Madeleine drives off. If they had dwelled on it, the ending would have made it harder for this film to fit into the standard rotation IMO.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    For me it’s the fact they didn’t drag the ending out. Bond meets his fate, they have a small toast in the office, and Madeleine drives off. If they had dwelled on it, the ending would have made it harder for this film to fit into the standard rotation IMO.

Yes, indeed. Two brief scenes with all characters that were close Bond and that's it. More would have been too much. Imagine a funeral where they are standing at his grave while it is raining? Good that they didn't go such a cliché route.
    They could've Return of the King'd it, where everyone's saying goodbye for four hours. This definitely was the better route!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Yes, indeed. Two brief scenes with all characters that were close Bond and that's it. More would have been too much. Imagine a funeral where they are standing at his grave while it is raining? Good that they didn't go such a cliché route.

Seconded, especially the bolded part. Now that would have been soap opera-ish.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited November 2021 Posts: 8,021
    The bit in Bond’s office is just right. Aside from Madeleine and Mathilde, the MI6 crew is the only friends/family he ever had in life. So giving a toast with one glass out for Bond felt just right.

One thing I noticed is that the person that clinks his glass is Tanner. Even though we never saw them do much beyond work, it was nice to see that gesture from Tanner.
    Yeah, beautiful scene I thought. Really like that Jack London quote as well.
    The bit in Bond’s office is just right. Aside from Madeleine and Mathilde, the MI6 crew is the only friends/family he ever had in life. So giving a toast with one glass out for Bond felt just right.

One thing I noticed is that the person that clinks his glass is Tanner. Even though we never saw them do much beyond work, it was nice to see that gesture from Tanner.

I've brought it up a couple of times, but Tanner actually looks the most torn up about Bond's death as it happens. Q has tears let loose, but if you look at the shot of M in profile, Tanner is out of focus in the background but he looks like he's in complete agony.

I've brought it up a couple of times, but Tanner actually looks the most torn up about Bond's death as it happens. Q has tears let loose, but if you look at the shot of M in profile, Tanner is out of focus in the background but he looks like he's in complete agony.

I actually remembered you saying that and had a look out for it on my last viewing (rental at home); it didn't quite seem so dramatic to me, but maybe I just saw it differently.
    I sincerely do not want Forster back, and I highly doubt they would invite him back.