NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Members' Reviews and Discussions (SPOILERS)

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Ewww QOS.

The only Moore film in my top 10 is FYEO, right at #10. So if EON plays their cards right, Moore gets shoved out soon!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Birdleson wrote: »
    LALD and TSWLM are perpetual Top Ten for me. The only Craig film to best them is CR, though QOS is only two spots behind. in fact, let's do this:

Moore/Craig
    CR

2-5
    LALD
    TSWLM
    QOS
    SF

6-8
    FYEO
    TMWTGG
    NTTD

OP

10-11
    AVTAK
    MR

SP

68 posts, welcome to the forums! :))

I like this ranking a lot, although I'd put SP a lot higher. I'm glad NTTD for you ranks at least above OP and MR.
    Ewww QOS.

The only Moore film in my top 10 is FYEO, right at #10. So if EON plays their cards right, Moore gets shoved out soon!

FYEO might be my top Moore as well, but I can certainly understand the draw of LALD and TSWLM.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    FYEO just get's better as the years go by. I appreciated it at the of release as an antidote to MR, but it also felt a bit insubstantial.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,518
    It suffers a little I think by not having a very substantial villain in Kristatos or plot (similar to QoS, maybe), IMO, but makes up for it with St. Cyril's, Columbo, Melina.

Certainly more down to earth, literally and figuratively, than what came before.
    Kristatos isn’t even close to my top villains, but I do still really like him for being perhaps the most realistic of the whole series. FYEO is a great Bond film. Top 3 Moores for me are also LALD, TSWLM, and FYEO.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    Those are the big three for me too, but TMWTGG is always a sentimental favorite. I've probably never been as happy at the cinema as seeing LALD, TMWTGG and TSWLM in the theater in my early to mid-teens.
    TMWTGG is my fourth place, just one spot behind LALD for right now. I have problems with it, but it has such an amazing villain, great Bond performance, and strong third act IMO.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I have TMWTGG fourth place. On the bottom, of course.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SP[/b]
    I have never & will never understand this ranking. But I will defend to the death your right to be unnecessarily judgmental.
    ;) :P
    His argy bargy in M's office also seemed a bit over the top.

He was being indignant on purpose....he suspected M was involved in a way he shouldn't be...and M also disparaged a close ally that Bond just lost....he had nothing to lose by being a dick in return.

Unlike the old days when Dench's M was tearing him a new one.

I don't know how people expect Bond to act in that scene?

- "Bravo, former boss! I love how you helped creating a weapon of mass destruction and lost it to the hands of cynical murderers. I am so very proud of you!"

:))
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,006
    Sometimes I like to believe that FYEO and MR are actually Moore’s two best films… they sit at polar opposite sides of the spectrum, but they are each the best version of what Roger is capable of. The stuff in the middle, the tonally inconsistent films, is where his version of Bond becomes more problematic for me.

TSWLM is the exception.
  • jobo wrote: »
    His argy bargy in M's office also seemed a bit over the top.

He was being indignant on purpose....he suspected M was involved in a way he shouldn't be...and M also disparaged a close ally that Bond just lost....he had nothing to lose by being a dick in return.

Unlike the old days when Dench's M was tearing him a new one.

I don't know how people expect Bond to act in that scene?

- "Bravo, former boss! I love how you helped creating a weapon of mass destruction and lost it to the hands of cynical murderers. I am so very proud of you!"

:))

I think there are 2 problems with the scene here. The first being, M involved with creating heracles and telling absolutely no one about it. The theft of heracles along with Obruchev just made M look utterly incompetent and complicit. This opens up a gateway for Bond to speak to him in the manner in which he did, which we don't often see at least not to this extent.
    The second issue with this scene is Bond being a bit of a dick to M (has this desk got bigger or have you gotten smaller?) Having Bond angry and confused by M's actions is one thing and fair enough but when Bond resorts to puerile comments, it takes away Bond's class and sophistication. We've seen Bond and M at loggerheads from every Bond actor but this, in an otherwise perfectly fine scene was spoiled in trying to make Bond funny and disrespectful.
    It makes more sense to me here than it did in SP. Bond was a complete whiny prick when M was reasonably upset in that one. I will say that it’s one of several times where Craig almost seems to slip out of character in NTTD.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 372
    Gosh you're thirsty today!
    It makes more sense to me here than it did in SP. Bond was a complete whiny prick when M was reasonably upset in that one. I will say that it’s one of several times where Craig almost seems to slip out of character in NTTD.

My earlier comment exactly re: Spectre.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Pussy galore was gay

James Bond soon sorted that out though.

LOL, if they did that scene today, can you imagine the hand-wringing!

Anyway, watched it NTTD again last night. I'm afraid I can't get past the ending. Killing him off was, for me, much too big a problem to get past, and I'm afraid it ruins the film. And I'm not going to make excuses, saying it's 'not Fleming' or it's not 'the real James Bond'. It's just a dishonest narrative trope to kill off a character then have him return with no explanation other than 'it's a timeline/character arc/alternate universe.
    For me, it doesn't work at all.

The way I look at it is with this version of Bond dead it assures us that the horrible universe of the Craig films, Bond and Blofeld are foster brothers, Felix is dead, Mathis is dead, Tracy seems to have never existed, Spectre destroyed, etc, can be left behind and the new reboot/universe will reinvent Bond's world for the better.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 372
    Or... They follow up with Craig as co-producer. I find interesting they bought this Bond in the same place Fleming bought him in his last novels. Maybe there's now a whole new era to explore in this direction. (ie MWTGG).

We had the young Bond already in the old films, they mined practically everything, save the last two and also the novel version of Spy.

Imagine, the next one is an adaptation of Spy. This man appears around half the story who we think was dead. He saves her, then disappears. That's a new Bond film which can be made for half the usual price, Joker style. While still being Bond.

It's thru the eyes of a woman, so it hits all this era post metoo marks. It leaves the mysterious Bond figures a mystery, which maybe can be explained in the next one, or not. Maybe it's a Bond story from before he "dies". Of after. There's so much promise now, going back to doing the same old would be regression.

The Craig era opens many possibilities of where to go next.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 3,273
    Stamper wrote: »
    Or... They follow up with Craig as co-producer. I find interesting they bought this Bond in the same place Fleming bought him in his last novels. Maybe there's now a whole new era to explore in this direction. (ie MWTGG).

We had the young Bond already in the old films, they mined practically everything, save the last two and also the novel version of Spy.

Imagine, the next one is an adaptation of Spy. This man appears around half the story who we think was dead. He saves her, then disappears. That's a new Bond film which can be made for half the usual price, Joker style. While still being Bond.

It's thru the eyes of a woman, so it hits all this era post metoo marks. It leaves the mysterious Bond figures a mystery, which maybe can be explained in the next one, or not. Maybe it's a Bond story from before he "dies". Of after. There's so much promise now, going back to doing the same old would be regression.

I think using TSWLM would be a great way to introduce the new Bond, but I don't think you would need all Viv Michel's backstory.

It could be a lengthy PTS like NTTD was, girl working at a motel which is closed down, Horror and Sluggsy arrive and start causing mayhem, the girl escapes only to be caught and dragged back in, then the 2 gangsters are about to have their wicked way with her and suddenly the door bell rings. Enter Bond number 7.

Brilliant. If Bond 26 opens like that, I'm all in.
    Gosh you're thirty today!

Really? Happy birthday! ;)
    Hahaaa bloody hell, I keep seing typing errors once a post is on, that are OK when I type them. There must be some thing in Safari that auto "correct".
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I think using TSWLM would be a great way to introduce the new Bond, but I don't think you would need all Viv Michel's backstory. It could be a lengthy PTS like NTTD was, girl working at a motel which is closed down, Horror and Sluggsy arrive and start causing mayhem, the girl escapes only to be caught and dragged back in, then the 2 gangsters are about to have their wicked way with her and suddenly the door bell rings. Enter Bond number 7.
    Yep, there's a great PTS, right there.
    Just like they ditched most of FRWL (half the novel, actually) while still retaining the long prologue until 007 appears, yes. That's a golden nugget to be finally mined now, and what an incredible starter that would be to introduce the new Bond.

Pure Fleming.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Tswlm was turning point for moore after that it was much easier.
    Hahaaa bloody hell, I keep seing typing errors once a post is on, that are OK when I type them. There must be some thing in Safari that auto "correct".

I have the same problem myself, don't worry. I just can't pass on any opportunity to make a bad joke :P
    This is the review I posted on my Facebook page:

My review of
    No Time To Die.
    Warning, spoiler city.
    Great photography, some witty dialogue, seriously good action scenes & a fine score are all wasted on this soap opera that employs a science fiction world domination nanobot plot with Stargate-level technology. And you thought the vanishing car in Die Another Day was a bit much? Or the space laser? Nah, that was nothun'.
    So, this movie is all serious & stuff, but I hadda deal with nanobots? Oh, and they infect Bond so he can't stay with his new love from the previous movie, SPECTRE, or they'll kill her. Steal ideas from the TV series Dark Angel much?
    Wait- it gets worse. More of the following trends s**t instead of setting them here:
    Remember recent movies with Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Tony Stark, Black Widow...???
    Lemme quote Tiffany Case from 1971's Diamonds Are Forever, "YOU'VE JUST KILLED JAMES BOND!"
    Thanks, Dan. Now you've gone to show us no one's indestructible.
    Is this the Bond who never give up trying in the face of almost certain failure?
    No, this is Dan trying to give us the mythic end to the hero's journey. Facing his end bravely.
    If any reading this can take it as such, I am truly envious.
  • sigh
    sigh

I have that effect on some... ;)

The Craig era is a closed book with the death of Bond. Looking forward to a reboot that has nothing to do with the Craig era.
    Keep thinking about how much I really enjoyed this movie. Need it to be released on physical media ASAP!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Keep thinking about how much I really enjoyed this movie. Need it to be released on physical media ASAP!

I’m very eager for it to hit 4K already. I’m desperate to watch this on my TV.