NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Members' Reviews and Discussions (SPOILERS)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This thread is now for discussing our reviews and our thoughts, as that's better than closing nearly 30 pages of discussion. The new thread is for reviews only.
    For anyone who has written a review, feel free to repost it in the appropriate Review thread now for NTTD. We're trying to keep that one exclusively for reviews and nothing else and this thread for relevant comments.
  • The past 2 weeks I've rewatched SP and NTTD about 3 times each and for me, while not terribly made films on a technical level, the overall product is a massive disappointment. SP actually gets worse with every viewing and NTTD from Cuba onwards feels meh. The first 3 Craig films, particularly CR and QoS is definitely the lane they should have stayed in.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Even though I liked large swaths of NTTD, I'm with you in your overall assessment.
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    The past 2 weeks I've rewatched SP and NTTD about 3 times each and for me, while not terribly made films on a technical level, the overall product is a massive disappointment. SP actually gets worse with every viewing and NTTD from Cuba onwards feels meh. The first 3 Craig films, particularly CR and QoS is definitely the lane they should have stayed in.

While I disagree on NTTD, I think I'm comfortably at the point now where I've seen SP enough and it simply won't ever get any worse than it is. It's as low as it gets in the series for me, in terms of a picture as a whole, and it's probably the only installment, official or unofficial, that I actively seek to avoid watching now. Sadly, given how connected it is now to NTTD, I'll likely keep watching it when I do my full Bondathons but that's about it.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Shame. I've fortunately been able to find a lot to love in Spectre, even though I do agree as a whole it's lesser than the sum of it's parts. A collection of missed opportunities.
    It doesn't impede my fondness for it though, luckily.

I'm looking forward to seeing how time affects my enjoyment of NTTD. At this point I can't say there is a single scene I don't look forward to (which I can't say about CR or SF), but it could be because of the novelty of it. Time will tell!
    I've watched it enough for awhile. Some scenes still hit me. I find myself mainly looking forward to Valdo, no fooling. He cracks me up.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'm not really sure I'm in the right thread, but I didn't feel like trying to scour pages of thread lists to find out, nor to open an extra thread that the mods will kill right away. Just want to say: it's here now, since seven minutes ago. The evening has been saved.

nttd_bd0hkgb.jpg

Nice.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I'm not really sure I'm in the right thread, but I didn't feel like trying to scour pages of thread lists to find out, nor to open an extra thread that the mods will kill right away.

I wanted to start a thread in the literary section, but I can't be bothered in case it gets killed. The search function on the forum isn't great, so it's hard to see if there's already a thread from years ago.
    Starting threads on here is like playing forum Russian roulette.
    Everyone's getting their copy early but I've had no such luck, unfortunately. Hoping Amazon will help me out by getting it to me on time, at least.

@ColonelAdamski, the best tip I have is to Google your search criteria + MI6Community. If you try a couple of variations and see nothing, you're usually good to go on starting a new one.
    Thanks. I'll try and be brave and start one.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Just watched it again from the Blu-ray delivered today (first time since Sept. 30 at the cinema) and am still thrilled by it. Same for my wife who hadn't seen it before. Top five material, once you accept the story and its outcome.
    I just watched it again, and I'm sorry, but that ending completely ruins the film for me. In fact, it starts to go tits up about an hour and a half in for me. From when he does his big 'I love you' speech, and apart from the action bits, there's not much of James Bond in there for me.
    It's an annoying film, because parts of it are great. I love the nanobots barmy science idea, and Craig is great in it. But the 'I love you speech', the kid with the slinky spring, Bond not escaping. . .
    I mean, if there's ever one cinema hero that escapes at the last minute, it's James Bond.
    You people should stop smoking crack. NTTD is a masterpiece.
    So far, with 4 watches under my belt, the film has only gotten better and better for me. I love most of it really. Very happy we got this instead of SP to see Craig off.
    Stamper wrote: »
    You people should stop smoking crack.

Charming!

edited December 2021 Posts: 2,161
    @ColonelAdamski you and I are pretty much in sync, aside from me not liking the nanobots; that is too vague and nonspecific. Also, for me the film isn’t ruined, but significantly harmed.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 40,454

That'll really get those who didn't like the film to see your side of things.
    Why I had to step away.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

More like Disasterpiece. Am I right? LAWL!!!!
    i02sb.jpg
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @ColonelAdamski you and I are pretty much in sync, aside from me not liking the nanobots; that is too vague and nonspecific. Also, for me the film isn’t ruined, but significantly harmed.

I can forgive the rubbish science and daft villain scheme, because we had plenty of those in the books. But the ending jars very time, and I can't get past the feeling that it's a disrespectful indulgence of a beloved cinematic character. Even when my crack pipe's empty, I still feel deflated at the whole debacle.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Feeling “deflated” over Bond’s death is honestly an alien concept to me. On my second watch I teared up.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm sorry
    Don't be.

I'm sorry
    Don't be.

I'm made of constant sorrow. I can cope!
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,161
    …disrespectful indulgence…

That’s how I have felt about it from the start.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Ive haven't watched it since my one and only viewing on October 9th. I am looking forward to buying it and really getting to chance to analyze it without first time viewing and theater distractions.

I'm still not looking forward to the ending.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 7,500
    You people should stop smoking crack.

Charming!

If you want charming replies, write more charming comments yourself.
    Just watched NTTD with my parents, and it was interesting to see their reaction. My mum cried at the ending, but then her overall assessment afterwards was that it didn't feel like a Bond film. My step dad (who loves Bond and action films in general) was underwhelmed by it, saying it felt a bit of a drag, and that the series really needs a new actor and a kick start again, basically not happy with the direction NTTD took.

My own feelings watching it for the 4th time? Still some very jarring scenes (Blofeld confrontation in particular), I really enjoyed the Norway chase Range Rover scenes this time round, thought Nomi was even more of a shoe-horned pointless character, felt a lot more emotional at the end with Bond's death (almost dare I say it, tears), but once the credits rolled I still didn't have that exhilarated, feel-good feeling I normally get from watching a decent Bond film. I still came away slightly annoyed by it all, and being annoyed after a Bond film is not a usual feeling to have (except after watching DAD).

There is no way I am putting NTTD in the same league as DAD, as it is infinitely better, but I can still not rate this film very highly. It's probably better than SP, but not as good as CR, QOS or SF. It fares better than many of the Moore flicks, and beats all the Brozza outings (obviously). It probably sits somewhere in the middle of the pack now for me, edging nearer the bottom rather than the top.

All I can hope for is a back-to-basics approach for the next one.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Just watched NTTD with my parents, and it was interesting to see their reaction. My mum cried at the ending, but then her overall assessment afterwards was that it didn't feel like a Bond film. My step dad (who loves Bond and action films in general) was underwhelmed by it, saying it felt a bit of a drag, and that the series really needs a new actor and a kick start again, basically not happy with the direction NTTD took.

My own feelings watching it for the 4th time? Still some very jarring scenes (Blofeld confrontation in particular), I really enjoyed the Norway chase Range Rover scenes this time round, thought Nomi was even more of a shoe-horned pointless character, felt a lot more emotional at the end with Bond's death (almost dare I say it, tears), but once the credits rolled I still didn't have that exhilarated, feel-good feeling I normally get from watching a decent Bond film. I still came away slightly annoyed by it all, and being annoyed after a Bond film is not a usual feeling to have (except after watching DAD).

There is no way I am putting NTTD in the same league as DAD, as it is infinitely better, but I can still not rate this film very highly. It's probably better than SP, but not as good as CR, QOS or SF. It fares better than many of the Moore flicks, and beats all the Brozza outings (obviously). It probably sits somewhere in the middle of the pack now for me, edging nearer the bottom rather than the top.

All I can hope for is a back-to-basics approach for the next one.

Sounds to me like you are warming up to NTTD, @jetsetwilly. A few weeks ago, you seemed to harbour much more animosity towards the film, no?