NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Members' Reviews and Discussions (SPOILERS)

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    True. He's willing to give up Mathilde to keep Madeleine, and he's not too bothered when Mathilde takes off in his lair.
    When Safin did his "I could be looking at my own relflection" speech, and he got to the bit about loving Maddy Swan, I was like oh! do you? I missed that bit!
    It's not really obvious in the film.
    No not extremely. The scene in Madeleine's office with the "memory box" is meant to convey that bit I suppose.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2022 Posts: 4,343
    In that scene Safin literally says to Swann that he is taken by her eyes just like when she was beggin for her life and that he feels she still belongs to him. He even says to Bond that he’s in love with her… even tho it’s pretty clear he doesn’t remotely know what love is.
    matt_u wrote: »
    In that scene Safin literally says to Swann that he is taken by her eyes just like when she was beggin for her life and that he feels she still belongs to him. He even says to Bond that he’s in love with her… even tho it’s pretty clear he doesn’t remotely know what love is.

Yeah, I thought that was the scene we were talking about.
    QBranch wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Just watched NTTD with my parents, and it was interesting to see their reaction. My mum cried at the ending, but then her overall assessment afterwards was that it didn't feel like a Bond film. My step dad (who loves Bond and action films in general) was underwhelmed by it, saying it felt a bit of a drag, and that the series really needs a new actor and a kick start again, basically not happy with the direction NTTD took.

My own feelings watching it for the 4th time? Still some very jarring scenes (Blofeld confrontation in particular), I really enjoyed the Norway chase Range Rover scenes this time round, thought Nomi was even more of a shoe-horned pointless character, felt a lot more emotional at the end with Bond's death (almost dare I say it, tears), but once the credits rolled I still didn't have that exhilarated, feel-good feeling I normally get from watching a decent Bond film. I still came away slightly annoyed by it all, and being annoyed after a Bond film is not a usual feeling to have (except after watching DAD).

There is no way I am putting NTTD in the same league as DAD, as it is infinitely better, but I can still not rate this film very highly. It's probably better than SP, but not as good as CR, QOS or SF. It fares better than many of the Moore flicks, and beats all the Brozza outings (obviously). It probably sits somewhere in the middle of the pack now for me, edging nearer the bottom rather than the top.

All I can hope for is a back-to-basics approach for the next one.

Sounds to me like you are warming up to NTTD, @jetsetwilly. A few weeks ago, you seemed to harbour much more animosity towards the film, no?

Thought the same thing. Give it a year and he's a fan ;)
    To happy new future for @jetsetwilly!

51707598624_3c55780493_w.jpg

:))
  • GBFGBF
    Thanks for answering. I can deal with your explanations but still wonder what happened in all the many years in between him rescueing little Maddy and then visiting her in Mrs Swann's Office? Like in Spectre it Just feels a bit forced to bring in something from a main character's childhood that has not had any prior impact. There must have been at least 20 years between the opening and the kidnapping. When he is so obsessed, where has he been all the time? Anyway I feel that NTTD has just one or two emotional ties too many.
    Another annoying thing is that in Spectre, it seems fairly clear the man she was referring to who came to their house to visit her father was Blofeld. Another reason I wish the main villain of NTTD was Blofeld, rather than introducing a new (relatively half-baked) villain.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 3,279
    QBranch wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Just watched NTTD with my parents, and it was interesting to see their reaction. My mum cried at the ending, but then her overall assessment afterwards was that it didn't feel like a Bond film. My step dad (who loves Bond and action films in general) was underwhelmed by it, saying it felt a bit of a drag, and that the series really needs a new actor and a kick start again, basically not happy with the direction NTTD took.

My own feelings watching it for the 4th time? Still some very jarring scenes (Blofeld confrontation in particular), I really enjoyed the Norway chase Range Rover scenes this time round, thought Nomi was even more of a shoe-horned pointless character, felt a lot more emotional at the end with Bond's death (almost dare I say it, tears), but once the credits rolled I still didn't have that exhilarated, feel-good feeling I normally get from watching a decent Bond film. I still came away slightly annoyed by it all, and being annoyed after a Bond film is not a usual feeling to have (except after watching DAD).

There is no way I am putting NTTD in the same league as DAD, as it is infinitely better, but I can still not rate this film very highly. It's probably better than SP, but not as good as CR, QOS or SF. It fares better than many of the Moore flicks, and beats all the Brozza outings (obviously). It probably sits somewhere in the middle of the pack now for me, edging nearer the bottom rather than the top.

All I can hope for is a back-to-basics approach for the next one.

Sounds to me like you are warming up to NTTD, @jetsetwilly. A few weeks ago, you seemed to harbour much more animosity towards the film, no?

Thought the same thing. Give it a year and he's a fan ;)
    To happy new future for @jetsetwilly!

51707598624_3c55780493_w.jpg
    giphy.gif

Hiss off!
    :))
  • GBFGBF
    Another annoying thing is that in Spectre, it seems fairly clear the man she was referring to who came to their house to visit her father was Blofeld. Another reason I wish the main villain of NTTD was Blofeld, rather than introducing a new (relatively half-baked) villain.

I agree and speaking of SPECTRE (the organisation), I am not quite sure if I really like the way they went with them. I appreciate the ideas of competing villains and it is nice to see some double crossing going on, there. I just don't think it was right to kill off all the SPECTRE agents so easily. Safin's revenge plan on SPECTRE was interesting but at the same time it felt pretty simple to tear down this super villain organisation. In Spectre (the film), we were made to believe that SPECTRE is everywhere, infiltrates every organisation and no secret service does even know who's on SPECTRE's pay roll. Safin does not only seem to know every SPECTRE agent he also has all their DNA. It just minimises SPECTRE to a bunch of gangsters that is easily tricked by yet another villain. The same applies to Bloefeld. Isn't he supposed to be a super villain. His death, however, appears to be something small that just happens in between other more important scenes.
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States
    Having been a thorn in the original Bond's side for so many books and movies I thought it was lame the way the Spectre organization was just written off.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    KenAustin wrote: »
    Having been a thorn in the original Bond's side for so many books and movies I thought it was lame the way the Spectre organization was just written off.
    Yes, and for me it is ridiculously inconsistent tonally with the gravitas afforded to SPECTRE/Quantum in the earlier four Craig films, especially. It would have been better had they gone without it entirely in NTTD than reduce it to a level of self-parody more fitting in a CR67 or Austin Powers .....
    Feyador wrote: »
    Yes, and for me it is ridiculously inconsistent tonally with the gravitas afforded to SPECTRE/Quantum in the earlier four Craig films, especially. It would have been better had they gone without it entirely in NTTD than reduce it to a level of self-parody more fitting in a CR67 or Austin Powers .....

Agreed 1000%

My main gripe with NTTD is how they treated SPECTRE and more importantly Blofeld.

My main gripe with NTTD is how they treated SPECTRE and more importantly Blofeld.

Yeah I didn't like how some nobody was able to come in and trump Spectre as if he was actually the main villain behind the organization.
    It would have been a fun twist if after SPECTRE got a hold of Heracles, they built a specific immunity to it for Blofeld, and Safin couldn’t kill him with it. I’m imagining some version of the story where Blofeld escapes prison and shows up on Safin’s island much to Safin’s surprise; Blofeld kills him and takes over as the films main villain.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Yeah, you'd think having every member of your international crime organisation in one place at the same time would be kind of foolish...🤔
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Yeah, you'd think having every member of your international crime organisation in one place at the same time would be kind of foolish...🤔

What egos!

• GBFGBF

Agree. And I thought NTTD could have been a good ooportunity to make SPECTRE take revenge for what they had to suffer in the previous film. The first twenty minutes of the film felt as if the producers wanted to go in that direction but then again SPECTRE was just simply destroyed by Safin, a random villain we have never heard of before. I really wonder why they brought SPECTRE and Bloefeld back when they actually don't want to make use of them. It is such a wasted potential.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,526
    Having meetings with all of your members present and holding birthday parties with all of said members in attendance, out in the open, is precisely the sort of arrogance I expect from SPECTRE.

Maybe arrogance is the wrong word... confidence.
    GBF wrote: »

Agree. And I thought NTTD could have been a good ooportunity to make SPECTRE take revenge for what they had to suffer in the previous film. The first twenty minutes of the film felt as if the producers wanted to go in that direction but then again SPECTRE was just simply destroyed by Safin, a random villain we have never heard of before. I really wonder why they brought SPECTRE and Bloefeld back when they actually don't want to make use of them. It is such a wasted potential.

They did make use of them. They used them to set up the threat that was Safin.

I don't mind that SPECTRE was destroyed by someone they had wronged in their past. I just didn't love that Blofeld went down with them in the way that he did.
  • GBFGBF
    They did make use of them. They used them to set up the threat that was Safin.

I don't mind that SPECTRE was destroyed by someone they had wronged in their past. I just didn't love that Blofeld went down with them in the way that he did.

For me it doesn't work when evilness is just pretended but not really seen on screen . SPECTRE was always told to be the main villain organisation that ties it all together that infiltrates every other organisation but on screen we hardly ever see them doing anything. If you want to create a great villain, give him or her enough screen time, and a consistant plan and some memorable lines. It all is missing in SPECTRE and NTTD.
    Yes, it's true; the rushed inclusion of SPECTRE in the Craig era results in us being "told" they're this sinister evil organization, more than us being "shown" that.
    Yes, it's true; the rushed inclusion of SPECTRE in the Craig era results in us being "told" they're this sinister evil organization, more than us being "shown" that.

Exactly! I've said this all along. In recent years there's been too much telling us the villains are villains, rather than showing us.
    Also, when Maddy did the big reveal of the Spectre name, they really should have spelled out what Spectre stood for. The whole Craig era came and went without any explanation of where the name came from, (Special Executive.. etc)
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,526

Exactly! I've said this all along. In recent years there's been too much telling us the villains are villains, rather than showing us.
    Also, when Maddy did the big reveal of the Spectre name, they really should have spelled out what Spectre stood for. The whole Craig era came and went without any explanation of where the name came from, (Special Executive.. etc)

I don’t think it was a problem with all the villains personally, just SPECTRE. And I’m glad they didn’t spell out Special Executive of Counterintelligence etc.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I think it wasn’t spelled out in SP because it really doesn’t stand for anything in the Craig timeline. It’s just a name rather than an acronym.
    Exactly.
    It was the same organization and symbol though
    It's the same in the same way Daniel Craig and Sean Connery are the same.

Conceptually the same, but brought into the modern era with a few tweaks here and there.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    GBF wrote: »

Agreed, but I doubt it was a strictly a narrative/artistic decision on the part of the creators to do so. Much of this is propelled by the commercial/marketing potential on the part of EON/MGM in introducing a new villain, and prestigious actor playing him, with each new film. From this POV, Waltz's Blofeld was old news. Hence the introduction of Malek's Safin.
    Absolutely. It would have been impossible to market this film on the back of Christoph Waltz again, especially after Spectre's cold reception. Enter a freshly minted Oscar-winning actor...